Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 1, 2016
The direct descendent of the original Casio G-Shock that was released in 1983 is the GW-5000, which is available as an import from Japan. This GW-M5610 is a first cousin of that pricier watch and it carries on the tradition of tough square G-Shocks. What you lose from the GW-5000 is the stainless steel case with a screwed-down back whereas the GW-M5610 has a resin case with a stainless steel back plate held down with four screws. Both watches have identical features including solar charging, atomic time synchronization, World Time, four daily alarms with snooze function, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, and electroluminescent illumination that can be automatically engaged with the movement of your wrist in a dark environment. The GW-M5610 gets a red surround and white, blue, and yellow writing on the face which makes it a little busier aesthetically than more monochromatic versions of the 5000 and 5600 series.

The first thing I noticed about the watch is how much smaller, thinner, and lighter it is compared to round G-Shock versions I own. It is an excellent choice to wear under long sleeves and jackets because it easily fits underneath them with minimal interference. I will be using this watch in the winter months for daily wear due to its sleek profile. The second thing of note is the crisp clarity of the numbers in the positive LCD screen. It surpasses my Casio Pro-Trek PRW-3500 in regards to off-axis legibility even though the Pro-Trek’s digits are 50% larger than the GW-M5610’s. I am really impressed with how good this watch’s display is.

I find the strap fits comfortably on my 7-1/2 inch wrist. The light weight makes me forget that I am even wearing a watch at all. Contrary to the dozens of complaints from previous owners here on Amazon, my auto backlight function works perfectly fine even though I leave it shut off in order to conserve power. My watch was manufactured on January 8, 2015 so maybe Casio has finally fixed the issue with faulty backlight switches. There are several one star reviews of this watch here because of this issue and I honestly cannot understand how one can downgrade the rating of the entire watch due to one feature that most G-Shock users end up turning off anyway. The auto backlight duration unfortunately is not adjustable like my Pro-Trek and Gulfmaster. I would prefer the ability to lengthen it from 1 second to 3, but this is a minor nit.

The function buttons are all recessed into a protective niche on the side of the case so pressing them only works for me when I use the tip of a fingernail. Action is positive and appropriate for the pressing force I apply. The World Time, stop watch, and timer functions all work like other Casio digital watches and are intuitively accessed with mode button. The one complaint I do have is that the volume of the alarm signal is very weak and probably would not wake a person from a deep sleep. If Amazon’s star rating system would allow it, I would subtract a half star for this and would suggest not relying on this watch for important wake-ups and instead using the alarm from dedicated alarm clock or smart phone. Note that this isn’t any different than the other Casio solar-charged watches, so it may be a function of reduced battery capacity.

My watch arrived from Amazon with the power reserve showing at the Medium level. I put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and the reading went to High. I set my home city, clicked Daylight Savings Time to the automatic setting, and synched the watch to the atomic clock signal in Ft. Collins without any trouble. Each evening just after midnight it synchs automatically so the watch always has an accurate time reading. I’ve had no issues with not receiving the signal but then again I live in a state bordering Colorado and all my atomic watches synch each day without fail.

This watch is a great heir to the spirit of the original G-Shock. It wears small and comfortably on the wrist, is tough as nails, cost about one-third of what the GW-5000 does, has the accuracy of atomic synching, should run for a decade or more on the original solar battery (note that all solar watches will need to have the rechargeable battery replaced as some time in their lives), and has a very clear and legible display.

As a long-time G-Shock owner, I have previously been drawn to only the round case models. I find it remarkable that after finally taking the plunge with this square case GW-M5610 that I have been absolutely delighted by this watch. It’s certainly not very flashy and has a nerdy charm of its own. No one in going to compliment you on it, but that’s all part of the fun of being a G-Shock fan. I now regret taking so long to come around to the Square Side and can recommend this watch most highly.
review image
0Comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 14, 2013
I spent weeks looking for a watch that wasn't too flashy, too bulky, or uncomfortable. And, I wanted something that will last. Well I found it. This watch is super lightweight, has a very slim profile, and is packed full of features. I have a small wrist, so I needed a watch smaller than the large G-Shocks.

Even being small in size, this watch still stands up to the larger G-Shocks, in strength and features. It is atomic, so you never have to worry about the time being off. Syncs even on my nightstand. This was one of the deciding factors for me because I don't like having to check and see if my watch is correct. Casio claims that this watch won't ever be off more than a second, if it is synced periodically. Oh yeah, and it's solar powered!

Another reason I got this watch is because it doesn't have very many exposed metal pieces. I wash cars for a dealership, and I can't have a metal watch that will scratch cars.

One of the big decisions I had to make while I was searching for a watch was do I want a negative display? And truthfully, I still don't know. This display doesn't disappoint. It is crisp, and easy to read in all light conditions, even dark at night under street lamps. My conclusion, I love it. But, someday I would like to try a negative display.

Overall, this watch beats every other watch I've looked at. It has all the features I was looking for and more. This watch is worth twice what it retails at. It looks great and just works.
review image review image
55 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2017
What a great watch! I had my first G shock for a month (will be returning it) and it's the GW6900 also a solar atomic and my first G shock.

I am tired of replacing a watch band it battery every year on my Timex expedition watches! At 50 years old that comes round pretty fast and it's annoying for sure. I always turned my nose up at shock watched due to the rather overbearing look and bold "in your face" kind of appearance. I don't know why, but I began to include them in my hunt the past few months. Only then did I learn there are reasons why these are popular and that the g shock name isn't just a bumper sticker logo to get your attention. It means "gravity shock"....and it means they are tough.
Read the story of a normal guy who worked for Casio and was tired of dropping watches and have them break; and how he began making a tougher watch and unofficially testing them by throwing out a window a few stories high from his desk. HEY! This guy gets it! That's when I was sold.

I picked the 6900 because Kohl's had a sale and my wife works magic with Kohl's cash and such. It is a great watch and I have no complaints. But, even with that on my wrist I kept googling images and reviews of this 5610....And learned it is an updated version of the original g shock that guy from Casio invented in 1983 or so. Now that is something I can get behind and I don't lose any featured from my 6900 and gain a bit of crispness and thinness as well. Yeah, I am really liking this watch. The soalr charging keeps them darn battery replacement costs and stops from coming like it's a season in my life, and the toughness keeps my band in tact longer (to be determined of course).

Also, AMAZON sent this watch FULLY charged and set perfectly for my needs. Living in Rochester NY can make the complete charging if the watch a challenge in the winter months like now so I appreciate the attention to detail with the charging. Of course this is a Prime item do I ordered it on a Friday and was wearing it on Sunday! Yeah that's right; a US mail truck pulled into my driveway and handed me a package before noon on a Sunday. How cool is that? And hands down this was the best price available and beat many stores by $30 or more.

Who figured a watch would be so involved in my head with batteries and bands and not being able to find sn exact replacement when something failed every year or so? Well no more. No batteries, and the bands are available and reasonably priced. Somehow it feels different already and if down the road I need a replacement band it already has a different taste; much like replacing a wear item on a great motorcycle it ATV that you have. It's okay!
on September 6, 2016
this watch is amazing. It's solar powered so you don't need to charge it, and it syncs with the satellite so you don't need to adjust the time and date. Additionally from personal experience I can vouch for its durability. I accidently left it on top of my dirty clothes and threw it into my laundry bag to wash. I found it after it went through the washing machine on perm press hot water and the drying machine on perm press(pretty hot). The watch had a black screen and I was scared sh**less. But after waiting a couple of minutes the screen blackness disappeared and the watch worked again, the battery was scorching hot. But all is well and I knew I had to let others know that this watch is a lifetime buy (reddit BIFL material.)

Pros
-super durable heat, shock, water(swimming pool),
-don't need to adjust time/date ever
-looks classy compared to the usual circular g shocks

cons
-if you have greasy or oily skin, it might get on the watch straps, but it's easy to clean
on July 24, 2015
After about 20 days, the watch eventually reached to my hands. All the function is worked well, except the auto EL backlight. This is my first order in Amazon, which really dispointed me!! Also, the Tilt senor was tested ,but no readback was shown in the screen whenever in daylight or dark place.What's more, it is hard for me to return it for another one, because I bought oversea, I am in china!!!!!!
If you really care about the Auto EL backlight, don't buy it!
on August 4, 2016
Simple, simple and simple.

It looks simple. Just the look of a watch. With time and dates.
It lives simple. You don't have to ever worry about the battery. It's tough. Only a bullet may destroy it.
It is low profile. Loaded with features at such a price.

Updated Nov 2017: Going strong! Love it! Never had a problem with it!
on October 7, 2017
Wear it at my work place everyday. Beeps aren't annoying or loud to disturb anyone. Battery is always on high. The motion tilt illuminate function works everytime but only in the dark. Just move your arm and look at it, lights up long enough to see the time. Strap isn't too comfortable but I got a mod for it that can make the lugs 16mm to 20mm and I'm adding a nyon zulu/nato strap. Very crisp display. never take it off I always have it on great never has problems in the cold showers, summer 112F heat, golfing, skateboarding, swimming, or clapping. Great watch
on July 20, 2014
I bought my first GShock in August 2012. It was a GWM-5600-KG3 in the OD green with negative LCD. I wore that watch day in and day out, at the University, the Gym, the outdoors, the BBQ, you name it. It took on quite a bit of beating and still looks brand new to this date. It kept excellent time; and since I wore it everyday, it has never ever gone below the High battery mark. My second Gshock was an aviator watch ( GW 3500 B - 1A ) that my girlfriend gifted me for my birthday in November 2013. That watch totally got me hooked up to G-Shock. I have mostly used that watch as a dress watch.

Now, coming to this watch, I just received it this morning and it has been on my wrist for the last 12 hours. I already love my G Shocks, but I love this one all the more. Its cris positive LCD makes it all the more easier to read. The Electroluminescence (backlight) works great. I tested the Auto Electroluminescence in the movie theatre a couple of times today and it worked great!
The buttons work great, even while wearing the watch on the wrist. It came with a high charge. And since my old 5600's solar battery has worked great for me; I hope this one will last long enogh too. The last time it was synced to the atomic clock was on April 29 (almost 3 months ago). I am assuming it was packaged after that. So that is an obvious indication on how good its solar battery has held up in the dark. Also, I am hoping to sync it with the atomic clock tonight. Shouldnt be a problem. My Aviator GShock has never had a problem ( I live in Washington State ).

Coming to the build of the watch, it is superb. I read a few reviews that did nit have good things to say about the straps. The straps are as good as on the 5600. It does not look/feel cheap. It is a little less wide than the 5600's strap. I guess it is just meant to make the strap a little more unisex. Also, the side of the strap carryong the buckle has holes on it, which doesnt make any sense to me. Other than that the looks and build quality is excellent.

I'm loving the watch. Will post updates if I don't like something about the watch!
on March 7, 2017
It's a well built, solid, basic watch with a few fancy features. Love the solar recharge and automatic time setting. It can be hard to find the small recessed buttons, otherwise I'd give it 5 stars.
on August 3, 2016
Great watch! Recommended to me because it's always going to keep tickin', even, probably, through a nuclear apocalypse. As long as there's sun, this watch will run. Not to mention you can take it in the pool, lake, or on other adventures. Comfortable, easy to read. Even the hourly beeps, once you turn them on, are pleasant. The watch itself has a fun look, reminiscent of the 80s, when the G-Shock line was launched. Looking at the face is a direct connection to my childhood. Highly recommended -- will update once I've had it for a while.