Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 650 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 702 reviews
on February 1, 2016
The direct descendent of the original Casio G-Shock that was released in 1983 is the GW-5000, which is available as an import from Japan. This GW-M5610 is a first cousin of that pricier watch and it carries on the tradition of tough square G-Shocks. What you lose from the GW-5000 is the stainless steel case with a screwed-down back whereas the GW-M5610 has a resin case with a stainless steel back plate held down with four screws. Both watches have identical features including solar charging, atomic time synchronization, World Time, four daily alarms with snooze function, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, and electroluminescent illumination that can be automatically engaged with the movement of your wrist in a dark environment. The GW-M5610 gets a red surround and white, blue, and yellow writing on the face which makes it a little busier aesthetically than more monochromatic versions of the 5000 and 5600 series.

The first thing I noticed about the watch is how much smaller, thinner, and lighter it is compared to round G-Shock versions I own. It is an excellent choice to wear under long sleeves and jackets because it easily fits underneath them with minimal interference. I will be using this watch in the winter months for daily wear due to its sleek profile. The second thing of note is the crisp clarity of the numbers in the positive LCD screen. It surpasses my Casio Pro-Trek PRW-3500 in regards to off-axis legibility even though the Pro-Trek’s digits are 50% larger than the GW-M5610’s. I am really impressed with how good this watch’s display is.

I find the strap fits comfortably on my 7-1/2 inch wrist. The light weight makes me forget that I am even wearing a watch at all. Contrary to the dozens of complaints from previous owners here on Amazon, my auto backlight function works perfectly fine even though I leave it shut off in order to conserve power. My watch was manufactured on January 8, 2015 so maybe Casio has finally fixed the issue with faulty backlight switches. There are several one star reviews of this watch here because of this issue and I honestly cannot understand how one can downgrade the rating of the entire watch due to one feature that most G-Shock users end up turning off anyway. The auto backlight duration unfortunately is not adjustable like my Pro-Trek and Gulfmaster. I would prefer the ability to lengthen it from 1 second to 3, but this is a minor nit.

The function buttons are all recessed into a protective niche on the side of the case so pressing them only works for me when I use the tip of a fingernail. Action is positive and appropriate for the pressing force I apply. The World Time, stop watch, and timer functions all work like other Casio digital watches and are intuitively accessed with mode button. The one complaint I do have is that the volume of the alarm signal is very weak and probably would not wake a person from a deep sleep. If Amazon’s star rating system would allow it, I would subtract a half star for this and would suggest not relying on this watch for important wake-ups and instead using the alarm from dedicated alarm clock or smart phone. Note that this isn’t any different than the other Casio solar-charged watches, so it may be a function of reduced battery capacity.

My watch arrived from Amazon with the power reserve showing at the Medium level. I put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and the reading went to High. I set my home city, clicked Daylight Savings Time to the automatic setting, and synched the watch to the atomic clock signal in Ft. Collins without any trouble. Each evening just after midnight it synchs automatically so the watch always has an accurate time reading. I’ve had no issues with not receiving the signal but then again I live in a state bordering Colorado and all my atomic watches synch each day without fail.

This watch is a great heir to the spirit of the original G-Shock. It wears small and comfortably on the wrist, is tough as nails, cost about one-third of what the GW-5000 does, has the accuracy of atomic synching, should run for a decade or more on the original solar battery (note that all solar watches will need to have the rechargeable battery replaced as some time in their lives), and has a very clear and legible display.

As a long-time G-Shock owner, I have previously been drawn to only the round case models. I find it remarkable that after finally taking the plunge with this square case GW-M5610 that I have been absolutely delighted by this watch. It’s certainly not very flashy and has a nerdy charm of its own. No one in going to compliment you on it, but that’s all part of the fun of being a G-Shock fan. I now regret taking so long to come around to the Square Side and can recommend this watch most highly.
on March 10, 2017
I have had the watch for 2 months now, and it has become my new daily driver.

I was daily-ing larger G Shocks for the past several years, and the GW is the right size for daily wear. I don't have to worry about nicking the bezel or scratching the face, this thing is built to last. Thats why I love Casios, and G Shocks specifically.

The buttons can be fussy to press at first, but once you get used to it, you appreciate it for the directness and purpose of the design.

The timekeeping is great, I have a watch stand that overnight, it syncs about 70% of the nights it is there, either at 12:04am, 1:04am, or 2:04am. Although sometimes if I happen to leave it on the floor in a pile of clothes, it will sync then too. The longest I have gone without a sync is 7 or 8 days.

The powersave mode is not a hassle at all, the watch display will turn right back on as soon as it sees enough light.

If you are even slightly considering buying this watch, go ahead and get it. This watch is tempting me to offload some of my older G Shocks, as they simply do not get as much wear-time now that this watch is doing such a great job for me.

Accurate time, clear date and day, and durable.
on July 30, 2016
I've owned a couple of G-Shocks in the past. I really swear by these watches and I really love the fact that Casio still produces "retro" models. This is virtually identical to the DW-5000C I had as a kid in the 1980s, but with modern features.

DURABILITY: I'm never purposely abusive with any of my belongings, but I do work in a warehouse, so having shock resistance is pretty important to me. This watch seems to be every bit as durable as the G-Shocks I've owned before and I fully expect that it will last at least 10+ years.

COMFORT: On-par with my previous G-Shocks -- about average. I'll probably replace the stock resin band with a NATO-style nylon band down the line. In the end, this is only a minor gripe and the stock band is acceptable for this price range.

SOLAR CHARGING: I can't speak to the long-term reliability of the solar charging feature because I've only had this watch for a few days now, but it arrived with a "High" battery charge and has stayed that way ever since.

MULTI BAND 6: The watch arrived with its time last synced in May 2016 and it was off by about 10 seconds. Since I've put the watch on, it has automatically synced without fail every night. Living in Arizona, I'm relatively close to the Fort Collins tower that services the US. My bed sits parallel to a large window, so I suppose that helps out quite a bit. I'll also note that I've been sleeping with the watch on and it still syncs just fine. I did do a manual sync once last night out of curiosity and the watch took around 5 minutes to sync with an "L3" (strong) signal.

AUTO EL: I must have received a watch from a newer batch that isn't plagued by the Auto EL problem described in some reviews because it seems to function properly for me. Nonetheless, I turned the feature off after a few hours because I find it to be more of a novelty than truly useful. Pressing the button isn't really that big of a deal to me if I need the EL backlight.
on March 9, 2017
I absolutely LOVE this watch, and have been wearing it almost every waking hour since I've gotten it. I loved the smaller form factor of my original Casio G-Shock DW-5000, and this matches it almost perfectly. It maintains the same form & fit, but adds to the functionality with the Tough Solar charging and 6-band radio time sync. I wasn't originally big on solar charging watches, but - having bought a few solar Casios, and being impressed with their ability to maintain a charge with regular usage (especially their ProTrek watches) - now I'm a convert. After the initial top-up, I've never had problems with any of my Casio watches running low - even in intermittent or artificial light (I sometimes work a night schedule). If you loved the original G-Shock DW-5000 form factor, you'll probably like this as well. It replaces several other VERY good Casio watches as my new EDC watch, and it'll probably even be my field watch most of the time.
review image review image
on May 13, 2015
Great watch, however it doesn't seem to be able to sync anywhere in the NYC area - perhaps too much interference. I was worried it is defective, but when I traveled out of the city, the atomic sync worked without a problem.
on February 27, 2017
I love this watch! I have a Mudman with Tough Solar for quite a number of years, so I'm aware how along the battery can hold.
I have small wrist, so it fits well. Plus it's light weight. I am fine having it on all day and night.
The words Protection & G Shock on the front bezel are quite subtle. Not that loud as you see in the product photos. The red square ring too.
Auto EL works fine, but I prefer it off.
I took one star off because the strap finishing has that kind of finishing that shows the end of the manufacturing process(a slight bit of excess marking). It's alright, but I would preferred a smoother finishing. You may refer to the pic.
Back to the good points, this watch has Power Saving function!
Screen goes to sleep in the dark without movement.
Definitely a watch to get for Gshock lovers.
review image review image review image review image
on July 13, 2017
Great watch, i really like it. I have worn several of the cheap $20 Casio watches and they were great and lasted for years. The battery finally died on my old beat up cheap Casio i wanted something with more features but i didn't want too much. My friend has one of the ABC Pathfinder watches and its really cool but way too big for me i tried it on and it was so bulky. This G-Shock is Medium sized, lightweight and is perfect for me, i never notice it snagging on clothes or other things during use. My cheap Casio was about the same size as this but thinner it felt awkward on the wrist because it would try to rotate on my wrist and dig into my skin. This G-Shock does not because of the better quality and wider band. The main reason i wanted this model was the atomic time keeping and solar capabilities. On my older models i found the stop watch, timers and alarms were very handy. I used the alarm several times when my phone battery was nearly dead and needed an alarm when i could not charge my phone. Also i like to cook and the timer and stop watch are very handy to have right on the wrist. The manual illumination is great on this watch and very clear at night. The auto illumination function is a little lacking, it works but it triggers too much. I find the auto illumination triggers constantly at night just doing normal movements which is a bit annoying so i leave it off and i am fine with the manual illumination. I wish the watch had a blue tooth sensor so it could pair with my phone to change time zones automatically and update times more often. It will change times in different time zones if you manually trigger the update time settings but it requires manual operation. The manual time update rarely works for me and i think its a bug in the programming. It often fails to manually apply time updates, but if i let it sit it does it automatically at 12am in the exact same location without issue. The manual time updates are a big issue for me i took away a star for it. I also took another star away for the auto illumination triggering constantly. Overall i would buy it again, i think its a fair price with above average performance and features.

Quick recap
Pros
easy to use if you read the manual
very lightweight
very comfortable
does not snag or catch on everything
lots of cool features
looks cool and a bit retro
automatic atomic time keeping
solar
nice and clear display
the recessed display does not scratch easily

Cons
function buttons are hard to hit especially in the dark
Auto illumination works but triggers too much with basic body moments
manual time updates rarely works which is annoying if you travel a lot
trying to decipher the differences and improvements across the G-Shock 5 series is very confusing and the prices vary drastically.
i wish Casio would make a low profile one piece resin band that recesses into the back of the watch and the watch sits flush on the skin. One piece bands are nice because if you loos a pin you do not loose the watch.
on December 11, 2012
I admit it - I love casio watches, particularly the square faced ones. I've been trying to get one in this style with the Multi-band 6 for a while now, and am excited to finally have found one at a (very) reasonable price.

I had read some reviews that had concern for the solar battery life, and having worn this for the past 2 months, I can say i've had no battery issues and have had to make no special arrangements to make certain it is charged. It's chilly here, so i'm often wearing a coat outside and a jacket at my desk, but the watch still indicates that the battery charge is "high".

The multiband-6 timekeeping is revolutionary, to me at least. I work in an IT environment, and it's helpful to know that my watch is in sync with all of my servers that use NTP (which distributes atomic level timekeeping over IP networks). I love knowing that even though i haven't had to dial WWV in Colorado (or listen to them on shortwave) to check my watch time, it's perfectly in sync, or reasonably so even if it hasn't synced that morning.

That said, I don't get perfect reception of the signal in my house. It seems to do better in some positions and some rooms better than others. That means that if it lays on its face on my nighstand, or falls on the floor, it might not get the sync signal. You might also have problems in hotel rooms.

The other feature of casio watches that i really appreciate is the World Time reading. I routinely work with teams across the globe, and it's handy to just press 1 button twice on my watch to see the date / time in their zone.

Overall, if you're looking for a casual but feature filled daily-wearer, this is an excellent choice. I have even been known to use it to time my coffee / tea brewing.
on July 4, 2017
$95 is a bit steep, but the solar feature is going for a premium, these days. Otherwise, it's a fantastic watch. For the watch geeks: the screw back model is way overpriced. The standard flat back is perfectly waterproof and substantial.

PROs:
Durable
Comfortable
Easy-to-read
Time, Date, Day displayed simultaneously
Bright EL light
Auto EL feature is very nice for one-handed operation
Automatic atomic date and time updates with confirmation and auto-retry
No maintenance or settings changes needed after initial setup
Retro style is very cool
Not as chunky or heavy as other G-shocks
Display automatically turns off to conserve battery
Battery should be functional for 5+years. Some users report 10+ years
Solar charging is quick and effective. Works fine with indoor light
Comes in a very nice G-Shock tin--makes for a nice gift

CONs:
Some people may not appreciate all the conspicuous labeling of all the features. Sometimes the labels aren't straight or level
Buttons require more force to activate than other G-shocks, but also stops accidental pushes
Battery will die in 10 months if not charged. The non-solar model (dw-5600e) will last years
Does not work well with non-G-shock bands. There are aftermarket adapters for other style bands, but it looks weird
Comes with a mineral face as opposed to sapphire. Other lower priced watches offer sapphire
Casio Men's WV200A-1AV Wave Ceptor offers very similar features at less than half the price of this model. So, you're paying a premium for style

Other Notes:
Regardless of where it is manufactured, Casio has very keen quality assurance and you will receive a quality product. I replaced the resin strap with the official plastic/steel link bracelet. I think it adds a lot to the style and function. It is possible to invert the LCD without any extra parts other than a single polarizer.
on May 6, 2017
This is my third Casio watch. I have an analog Waveceptor 3311 WVA-430J that I still wear.
I also have a G-Shock MTG-930DA that I bought ten years ago and it's still going strong. It also has solar power and atomic clock syncing. Everything still works perfectly. I still wear it occasionally, though the styling seems dated now.
So I know that Casios, and especially G-Shocks, are great watches that live up to their reputation.

I decided to go with one of the retro, square, plastic G-Shocks. For some reason, the original square Casios still look fresh in a nerdy way.
I've been wearing it's opposite for the last 4 months: my Seiko SRP773 Blue Turtle. The Turtle is a big, heavy, automatic diver and is my favorite watch of all time. So this new 5610 feels like wearing nothing.

I read through the manual once and re-familiarized myself with the buttons and menus. The functionality is not much different at all from my ten year old G-Shock. I really appreciate Casio's attention to detail and easy to understand instructions.

The GWM5610 is not a large watch. By current standards of men's watches, it's almost small. I like how it looks on my wrist though, and it is perfect for my daily job duties as an IT tech in a large public hospital. I don't have to worry about getting it wet, or banged against hard surfaces.

I'm not sure how the plastic case is going to look in ten years, probably a bit scuffed up. So far though, it still looks like new after a week of hospital duty.
The Auto EL works as it should. It has synced up with the Fort Collins atomic clock every night. It's just a fun, useful, technologically advanced, time piece. For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I have never managed to kill a Casio.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse