BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TNF TNF TNF  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 1, 2016
The direct descendent of the original Casio G-Shock that was released in 1983 is the GW-5000, which is available as an import from Japan. This GW-M5610 is a first cousin of that pricier watch and it carries on the tradition of tough square G-Shocks. What you lose from the GW-5000 is the stainless steel case with a screwed-down back whereas the GW-M5610 has a resin case with a stainless steel back plate held down with four screws. Both watches have identical features including solar charging, atomic time synchronization, World Time, four daily alarms with snooze function, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, and electroluminescent illumination that can be automatically engaged with the movement of your wrist in a dark environment. The GW-M5610 gets a red surround and white, blue, and yellow writing on the face which makes it a little busier aesthetically than more monochromatic versions of the 5000 and 5600 series.

The first thing I noticed about the watch is how much smaller, thinner, and lighter it is compared to round G-Shock versions I own. It is an excellent choice to wear under long sleeves and jackets because it easily fits underneath them with minimal interference. I will be using this watch in the winter months for daily wear due to its sleek profile. The second thing of note is the crisp clarity of the numbers in the positive LCD screen. It surpasses my Casio Pro-Trek PRW-3500 in regards to off-axis legibility even though the Pro-Trek’s digits are 50% larger than the GW-M5610’s. I am really impressed with how good this watch’s display is.

I find the strap fits comfortably on my 7-1/2 inch wrist. The light weight makes me forget that I am even wearing a watch at all. Contrary to the dozens of complaints from previous owners here on Amazon, my auto backlight function works perfectly fine even though I leave it shut off in order to conserve power. My watch was manufactured on January 8, 2015 so maybe Casio has finally fixed the issue with faulty backlight switches. There are several one star reviews of this watch here because of this issue and I honestly cannot understand how one can downgrade the rating of the entire watch due to one feature that most G-Shock users end up turning off anyway. The auto backlight duration unfortunately is not adjustable like my Pro-Trek and Gulfmaster. I would prefer the ability to lengthen it from 1 second to 3, but this is a minor nit.

The function buttons are all recessed into a protective niche on the side of the case so pressing them only works for me when I use the tip of a fingernail. Action is positive and appropriate for the pressing force I apply. The World Time, stop watch, and timer functions all work like other Casio digital watches and are intuitively accessed with mode button. The one complaint I do have is that the volume of the alarm signal is very weak and probably would not wake a person from a deep sleep. If Amazon’s star rating system would allow it, I would subtract a half star for this and would suggest not relying on this watch for important wake-ups and instead using the alarm from dedicated alarm clock or smart phone. Note that this isn’t any different than the other Casio solar-charged watches, so it may be a function of reduced battery capacity.

My watch arrived from Amazon with the power reserve showing at the Medium level. I put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and the reading went to High. I set my home city, clicked Daylight Savings Time to the automatic setting, and synched the watch to the atomic clock signal in Ft. Collins without any trouble. Each evening just after midnight it synchs automatically so the watch always has an accurate time reading. I’ve had no issues with not receiving the signal but then again I live in a state bordering Colorado and all my atomic watches synch each day without fail.

This watch is a great heir to the spirit of the original G-Shock. It wears small and comfortably on the wrist, is tough as nails, cost about one-third of what the GW-5000 does, has the accuracy of atomic synching, should run for a decade or more on the original solar battery (note that all solar watches will need to have the rechargeable battery replaced as some time in their lives), and has a very clear and legible display.

As a long-time G-Shock owner, I have previously been drawn to only the round case models. I find it remarkable that after finally taking the plunge with this square case GW-M5610 that I have been absolutely delighted by this watch. It’s certainly not very flashy and has a nerdy charm of its own. No one in going to compliment you on it, but that’s all part of the fun of being a G-Shock fan. I now regret taking so long to come around to the Square Side and can recommend this watch most highly.
on March 14, 2013
I spent weeks looking for a watch that wasn't too flashy, too bulky, or uncomfortable. And, I wanted something that will last. Well I found it. This watch is super lightweight, has a very slim profile, and is packed full of features. I have a small wrist, so I needed a watch smaller than the large G-Shocks.

Even being small in size, this watch still stands up to the larger G-Shocks, in strength and features. It is atomic, so you never have to worry about the time being off. Syncs even on my nightstand. This was one of the deciding factors for me because I don't like having to check and see if my watch is correct. Casio claims that this watch won't ever be off more than a second, if it is synced periodically. Oh yeah, and it's solar powered!

Another reason I got this watch is because it doesn't have very many exposed metal pieces. I wash cars for a dealership, and I can't have a metal watch that will scratch cars.

One of the big decisions I had to make while I was searching for a watch was do I want a negative display? And truthfully, I still don't know. This display doesn't disappoint. It is crisp, and easy to read in all light conditions, even dark at night under street lamps. My conclusion, I love it. But, someday I would like to try a negative display.

Overall, this watch beats every other watch I've looked at. It has all the features I was looking for and more. This watch is worth twice what it retails at. It looks great and just works.
review image review image
55 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2017
I love this watch! I have a Mudman with Tough Solar for quite a number of years, so I'm aware how along the battery can hold.
I have small wrist, so it fits well. Plus it's light weight. I am fine having it on all day and night.
The words Protection & G Shock on the front bezel are quite subtle. Not that loud as you see in the product photos. The red square ring too.
Auto EL works fine, but I prefer it off.
I took one star off because the strap finishing has that kind of finishing that shows the end of the manufacturing process(a slight bit of excess marking). It's alright, but I would preferred a smoother finishing. You may refer to the pic.
Back to the good points, this watch has Power Saving function!
Screen goes to sleep in the dark without movement.
Definitely a watch to get for Gshock lovers.
review image review image review image review image
on December 11, 2012
I admit it - I love casio watches, particularly the square faced ones. I've been trying to get one in this style with the Multi-band 6 for a while now, and am excited to finally have found one at a (very) reasonable price.

I had read some reviews that had concern for the solar battery life, and having worn this for the past 2 months, I can say i've had no battery issues and have had to make no special arrangements to make certain it is charged. It's chilly here, so i'm often wearing a coat outside and a jacket at my desk, but the watch still indicates that the battery charge is "high".

The multiband-6 timekeeping is revolutionary, to me at least. I work in an IT environment, and it's helpful to know that my watch is in sync with all of my servers that use NTP (which distributes atomic level timekeeping over IP networks). I love knowing that even though i haven't had to dial WWV in Colorado (or listen to them on shortwave) to check my watch time, it's perfectly in sync, or reasonably so even if it hasn't synced that morning.

That said, I don't get perfect reception of the signal in my house. It seems to do better in some positions and some rooms better than others. That means that if it lays on its face on my nighstand, or falls on the floor, it might not get the sync signal. You might also have problems in hotel rooms.

The other feature of casio watches that i really appreciate is the World Time reading. I routinely work with teams across the globe, and it's handy to just press 1 button twice on my watch to see the date / time in their zone.

Overall, if you're looking for a casual but feature filled daily-wearer, this is an excellent choice. I have even been known to use it to time my coffee / tea brewing.
on July 4, 2017
$95 is a bit steep, but the solar feature is going for a premium, these days. Otherwise, it's a fantastic watch. For the watch geeks: the screw back model is way overpriced. The standard flat back is perfectly waterproof and substantial.

PROs:
Durable
Comfortable
Easy-to-read
Time, Date, Day displayed simultaneously
Bright EL light
Auto EL feature is very nice for one-handed operation
Automatic atomic date and time updates with confirmation and auto-retry
No maintenance or settings changes needed after initial setup
Retro style is very cool
Not as chunky or heavy as other G-shocks
Display automatically turns off to conserve battery
Battery should be functional for 5+years. Some users report 10+ years
Solar charging is quick and effective. Works fine with indoor light
Comes in a very nice G-Shock tin--makes for a nice gift

CONs:
Some people may not appreciate all the conspicuous labeling of all the features. Sometimes the labels aren't straight or level
Buttons require more force to activate than other G-shocks, but also stops accidental pushes
Battery will die in 10 months if not charged. The non-solar model (dw-5600e) will last years
Does not work well with non-G-shock bands. There are aftermarket adapters for other style bands, but it looks weird
Comes with a mineral face as opposed to sapphire. Other lower priced watches offer sapphire
Casio Men's WV200A-1AV Wave Ceptor offers very similar features at less than half the price of this model. So, you're paying a premium for style

Other Notes:
Regardless of where it is manufactured, Casio has very keen quality assurance and you will receive a quality product. I replaced the resin strap with the official plastic/steel link bracelet. I think it adds a lot to the style and function. It is possible to invert the LCD without any extra parts other than a single polarizer.
on May 6, 2017
This is my third Casio watch. I have an analog Waveceptor 3311 WVA-430J that I still wear.
I also have a G-Shock MTG-930DA that I bought ten years ago and it's still going strong. It also has solar power and atomic clock syncing. Everything still works perfectly. I still wear it occasionally, though the styling seems dated now.
So I know that Casios, and especially G-Shocks, are great watches that live up to their reputation.

I decided to go with one of the retro, square, plastic G-Shocks. For some reason, the original square Casios still look fresh in a nerdy way.
I've been wearing it's opposite for the last 4 months: my Seiko SRP773 Blue Turtle. The Turtle is a big, heavy, automatic diver and is my favorite watch of all time. So this new 5610 feels like wearing nothing.

I read through the manual once and re-familiarized myself with the buttons and menus. The functionality is not much different at all from my ten year old G-Shock. I really appreciate Casio's attention to detail and easy to understand instructions.

The GWM5610 is not a large watch. By current standards of men's watches, it's almost small. I like how it looks on my wrist though, and it is perfect for my daily job duties as an IT tech in a large public hospital. I don't have to worry about getting it wet, or banged against hard surfaces.

I'm not sure how the plastic case is going to look in ten years, probably a bit scuffed up. So far though, it still looks like new after a week of hospital duty.
The Auto EL works as it should. It has synced up with the Fort Collins atomic clock every night. It's just a fun, useful, technologically advanced, time piece. For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I have never managed to kill a Casio.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2017
Fantastic watch. A little on the smaller side, but it's perfect. Amazing how they fit so much technology in such a compact package. Watch syncs every night even though I wear it to bed. You don't have to baby it to get reception unless you really love far away. I'm in New Jersey and it syncs just fine to the atomic clock. Display is clear, though the viewing angles could be a bit better. Alarms wake me up just fine for the most part, but are not AS loud as a non solar watch. Buttons are stiff initially, but break in the more you use them. Only had the battery drop to medium once so far, and that was a day after using all four alarms plus the snooze alarm, using the timer/countdown multiple times and having the hourly time sig on as well. My drive home from work (25min) where it got a lot of sunlight charged it back up to full where it has remained ever since. This watch has lived up to its name.
on August 20, 2017
Best G-Shock ever.......

I've worn different G-Shocks for well over twenty years. I may be on my fifteenth or twentieth one here. I've worn them all over the United States. The only thing I hate about them is when I loose them or the strap breaks. I'll just buy another one.

I like the smaller 5600 series, they are tough as hell, and not to large to snag on things.

This is one of the best tools to use to tell the time. It's the AK47 of watches.

I can't recall that I ever had one that would just stopped working unless only swapping out for a new battery and back to working great.

They just keep going. I've worn them doing construction, pulling cable and bending conduit, digging ditches and laying concrete. 8 years in the army. Marriages and child births.

I hope Casio keeps doing what there doing. Don't change stuff that is a winning formula. Maybe what Casio could do is maybe come out with something like solid lugs or a more rugged adapter with a zulu strap.

My grail is a solar Eco drive type G-shock with solid lugs, close enough....

Anyway I have had no problems with this watch, all the functions work. You can disable the receive function. The auto light works. The buttons are just right.

Best G-Shock ever...
on August 21, 2016
Great watch. Love the solar power and atomic timekeeping. Looks nice. I had the older model years ago - battery powered. Way more features on this. Excellent watch for the price. Good fit, size and lightweight. Also very water "resistant".

The night light by wrist movement is a handy feature - works well but wish light stayed on longer. Same with the button - very short illumination. Also, as others have complained, the alarm/timer beeper is way too quiet. Not sure it would wake me up - haven't tried it. I use my phone as an alarm clock.

The watch goes into power saving mode at night in the dark and the display goes blank. Pointing the watch face at a light source - window, lamp, etc - re-activates the display. Need to experiment with that - not sure what it would do if I woke up in the dark with the watch on. Maybe the wrist twist would activate the light and display. The instructions recommend keeping it next to a window at night to allow the atomic signal to keep the time updated. This would also reactivate the display once it's daylight. Overall, I'm happy with the watch.
on May 2, 2016
Re-charge by day and re-sync by night, and all done by itself.

05/09/2016 Update

Using this watch for the past 3 months and I really like it. If you are thinking about the 5600 ($40) or the 5610 ($90), here's my take on this:
1. The rechargeable battery should save me $15 for one battery replacement and don't need to worry about it happening at the worst possible time.
2. The auto sync and auto DST, very nice if you take the time to find a sweet spot, I will give it $10 value.
3. The numbers can go up and down on the 5610, I think this is a must and I will give it $5 value.
4. The world time, this is a must for me, don't want to do UTC -8 in the middle of night when you have a flight to catch in the early morning. I will give this a $10 value.
5. The 5 alarms, nice to have even you use it once or twice, maybe another $5.
6. The Auto EL, it is great and it works fine, but I turned it off to save power, maybe another $5

So I am happy.