Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 624 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 675 reviews
on February 1, 2016
The direct descendent of the original Casio G-Shock that was released in 1983 is the GW-5000, which is available as an import from Japan. This GW-M5610 is a first cousin of that pricier watch and it carries on the tradition of tough square G-Shocks. What you lose from the GW-5000 is the stainless steel case with a screwed-down back whereas the GW-M5610 has a resin case with a stainless steel back plate held down with four screws. Both watches have identical features including solar charging, atomic time synchronization, World Time, four daily alarms with snooze function, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, and electroluminescent illumination that can be automatically engaged with the movement of your wrist in a dark environment. The GW-M5610 gets a red surround and white, blue, and yellow writing on the face which makes it a little busier aesthetically than more monochromatic versions of the 5000 and 5600 series.

The first thing I noticed about the watch is how much smaller, thinner, and lighter it is compared to round G-Shock versions I own. It is an excellent choice to wear under long sleeves and jackets because it easily fits underneath them with minimal interference. I will be using this watch in the winter months for daily wear due to its sleek profile. The second thing of note is the crisp clarity of the numbers in the positive LCD screen. It surpasses my Casio Pro-Trek PRW-3500 in regards to off-axis legibility even though the Pro-Trek’s digits are 50% larger than the GW-M5610’s. I am really impressed with how good this watch’s display is.

I find the strap fits comfortably on my 7-1/2 inch wrist. The light weight makes me forget that I am even wearing a watch at all. Contrary to the dozens of complaints from previous owners here on Amazon, my auto backlight function works perfectly fine even though I leave it shut off in order to conserve power. My watch was manufactured on January 8, 2015 so maybe Casio has finally fixed the issue with faulty backlight switches. There are several one star reviews of this watch here because of this issue and I honestly cannot understand how one can downgrade the rating of the entire watch due to one feature that most G-Shock users end up turning off anyway. The auto backlight duration unfortunately is not adjustable like my Pro-Trek and Gulfmaster. I would prefer the ability to lengthen it from 1 second to 3, but this is a minor nit.

The function buttons are all recessed into a protective niche on the side of the case so pressing them only works for me when I use the tip of a fingernail. Action is positive and appropriate for the pressing force I apply. The World Time, stop watch, and timer functions all work like other Casio digital watches and are intuitively accessed with mode button. The one complaint I do have is that the volume of the alarm signal is very weak and probably would not wake a person from a deep sleep. If Amazon’s star rating system would allow it, I would subtract a half star for this and would suggest not relying on this watch for important wake-ups and instead using the alarm from dedicated alarm clock or smart phone. Note that this isn’t any different than the other Casio solar-charged watches, so it may be a function of reduced battery capacity.

My watch arrived from Amazon with the power reserve showing at the Medium level. I put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and the reading went to High. I set my home city, clicked Daylight Savings Time to the automatic setting, and synched the watch to the atomic clock signal in Ft. Collins without any trouble. Each evening just after midnight it synchs automatically so the watch always has an accurate time reading. I’ve had no issues with not receiving the signal but then again I live in a state bordering Colorado and all my atomic watches synch each day without fail.

This watch is a great heir to the spirit of the original G-Shock. It wears small and comfortably on the wrist, is tough as nails, cost about one-third of what the GW-5000 does, has the accuracy of atomic synching, should run for a decade or more on the original solar battery (note that all solar watches will need to have the rechargeable battery replaced as some time in their lives), and has a very clear and legible display.

As a long-time G-Shock owner, I have previously been drawn to only the round case models. I find it remarkable that after finally taking the plunge with this square case GW-M5610 that I have been absolutely delighted by this watch. It’s certainly not very flashy and has a nerdy charm of its own. No one in going to compliment you on it, but that’s all part of the fun of being a G-Shock fan. I now regret taking so long to come around to the Square Side and can recommend this watch most highly.
on October 10, 2015
I just received this watch recently, so here are my initial impressions.

The things I like:

The watch is small for a G-shock, so if you are looking for something small and light, this is it.
The functionality is great. Solar powered, Automatic time, stop watch, count down timer, multiple alarms and a second time zone - perfect.

The illumination actually works on this watch. Very easy to see in the dark as the entire face lights. It is also water resistant to 600 feet - so you could scuba dive with this thing if you wanted. The solar power is great, because every time you have to open up the back of the case to replace the battery, you are compromising the water resistance and allowing contaminants inside. With this watch, you should never have to open the back.

I have had no problems with the automatic (EL) light tilt feature, (that has been a problem with so many others) so maybe Casio finally fixed this issue. I'm not sure I'll use it much, as it is too easy to tilt your watch and turn on the light when you don't need it, therefore wearing the battery down unnecessarily , but it's a nice feature just the same. My only complaint with the lighting is it isn't on long enough. (Only 1.5 seconds and you can't adjust the length of time) I have also seen that the auto EL feature requires you to twist your watch up at a very precise angle. Sometimes it is a bit fussy about turning on.

I like having the day, date and time visible on the front of the screen at a glance. The watch also has a power saving feature which turns off the LCD display when you aren't using it at night. This helps preserve your battery when not using the watch. The watch also has the battery level indicator right on the face which I like. Mine came with a Medium charge but I quickly was able to get it up to High by having it out in the sunlight for a couple of hours.

The watch is very easy to navigate and is very logically laid out. The printed instructions are very small so I suggest downloading the PDF file to enlarge the text. The instructions are very well written.

The Atomic synchronization with the Colorado WWVB time broadcast works great. I live in Florida and had no problem manually syncing the time during daylight hours while outside! It really surprised me that I was picking up a Level 3 signal on the East side of central Florida at 1:00 in the afternoon. This tells me the receiver in this watch is quite sensitive.

At night it synced the second attempt at 1:00am in less than 4 minutes. This is a great feature as I am always resetting my watches to the atomic clock anyway. This one does it for you each day, so you will always have nearly perfect time and will never have to change the date or time, unless you move. This is a great feature for a watch.

Being a HAM radio operator, let me tell you how this atomic clock signal works. First of all, it is a 60 kilohertz frequency, so you aren't going to get as reliable signal during daylight hours. The signal uses ground wave propagation and is usually easier to pick up at night as long wave signals work best after dark. The signal should be pretty strong just about everywhere during the early morning hours. (It's actually broadcast with 70,000 watts of power. Most Ham radio operators use 100 - 1000 watts to transmit around the world.) That's why the watch is programmed to start receiving at midnight. Place your watch near a window and you should pick it up pretty much anywhere in the USA. The only exception might be if you live in a large city near big buildings and heavy urban density which causes a lot of interference with the broadcast signal. Or you might live in a home with that has a lot of metal and electrical interference which some have reported in previous reviews. (I have actually had very good success picking up the signal outside during the day in manual mode (East Coast of Florida) and I live a long ways from the transmitter in Ft. Collins Colorado.

The watch is very rugged and I doubt I will ever wear it out the way I use it. I tend to like standard analog faced watches better, but this one is a great "kick around" watch that I can wear when I don't want to worry about being tough on my more expensive watches. The watch was reasonably priced compared to other G-Shocks while having both the Solar and Atomic syncing features. I really don't have a need for a barometer or altimeter, but I must admit, the compass and sunrise/sunset features would be nice. (Maybe on my next G-shock purchase?) But, you will end up with a much larger and bulkier watch as a trade-off for these extra features.

OK - so the watch is almost perfect - so why only 4 stars? Well, I'm sorry to say I don't like the resin band very much.

First of all, the band is too short. I have a medium wrist and it doesn't have a lot of slack. I usually have it on the forth hole.
Second, the band is not very comfortable to wear. I find it a bit stiff and it just doesn't conform to my wrist very well. I can live with it, but I'm going to try to replace it with another Casio band. I ordered one from the DW6900 to see if it is longer and more comfortable.

(Update 10-12-2015, just got the DW6900 band and it isn't any longer or any more supple - so back it goes)

I have also read that the GW5000 band is softer and more comfortable, (possibly made with a softer resin material) but is the same length and is expensive, so I'm not sure that's a better option. I could put adapters on it and wear a NATO type nylon strap, but I think it takes away from the watch's rugged looks.

If Casio had put a longer and more comfortable band on this it would be just about the perfect "knock around" watch. I'm very impressed with it so far and can live with the less than ideal band. I think the watch is a nice compromise between features, size and price.

I highly recommend it to others looking for a tough watch with a smaller profile (than other G-shocks) with a lot of advanced features.

Update Oct 15, 2015

Based on the reviews for the Casio DW5000 band, I ordered and received it. I don't know what it is, but the stock band is just not very comfortable and irritates my skin. Hopefully the replacement band will be more comfortable.

The Sync with the Atomic clock has worked perfectly each and every night, except one. You will find some nights where the radio propagation just isn't as strong for some reasons. Even if it misses a day or two, you aren't likely to be off more than a second as the quartz clock in this watch is very accurate.

I have a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I should have bought the Rangefinder 9400, since it has more toys. (Barometer, Altimeter, Compass, etc.), but I'm just not sure I would like the size of it. I don't camp or hunt so I really don't need those features. It's just the "toy" factor I am interested in. The 5610 is really nice for it's simplicity, reasonable price and smaller size. It does everything I need very well.

Update October 19 2015
Just received the GW5000 band. It is more rubbery, thinner and has more flex to it. In my opinion it is a bit more comfortable than the stock band that comes with this watch which has more of a hard plastic feel to it. The band I received was manufactured in Japan so I'm guessing it is more expensive to make. I'm very happy with the GW5000 band on this watch and had Casio put it on as stock, this watch would have gotten a 5 star rating from me.
on June 5, 2015
Got this watch in the mail today. Fit's great on my wrist and tough solar. Never needs a battery.Looks like my Dw5600e-1v.I like the face of the watch a little better has more on it to look at and a nice red line around the end of the face.New update 1 year To day.l got it on June 5, 2015.Now one year later it still works like the day l got it.l wear it to work, swimming, bike riding, cutting. The.lawn.you name this watch is perfect for anyone. Thanks Amazon.UPDATE ) JUNE 5TH 2017 . I NOW HAVE HAD THIS FOR 2 YEARS. I GOT THIS WATCH IN THE MAIL TODAY 2 YEARS AGO. I'M NOW A BIG GSHOCK COLLECTOR. I HAVE BEEN WEARING GSHOCKS FOR ALMOST 34 YEARS. I HAVE 35 GSHOCK WATCHES AND 5 PROTREK WATCHES .I HAVE 2 RANGEMAN GSHOCK WATCHES. THE GWX 56-1BJF KING GSHOCK. THE GSTEEL SMOKE DIAL GSHOCK. I HAVE THE FROGMAN GWF 1000-1 GSHOCK 4 MUDMAN GSHOCK WATCHES 2 GULFMAN GSHOCKS. AND THE GW7900-1 AND THE G7900-1 GSHOCK. I ALSO HAVE THE DW5600E-1 FOXFIRE. AND THE DW5600-1V GSHOCK AND WAY TO MANY MORE TO MENTION. I LOVE ALL GSHOCKS BIG OR SMALL. I USE THIS WATCH WHEN I GO TO THE GYM. I WEAR IT AT NIGHT WHEN I WATCH TV. I LOVE THIS WATCH. I HAVE A 7 INCH WRIST AND IT FITS GREAT. THE WATCH IS VERY DURABLE. I HAVE SO MANY GSHOCKS. IF I COULD ONLY KEEP ONE WATCH IT WOULD BE THE RANGEMAN GSHOCK. THAT WATCH CAN DO ALMOST ANYTHING . THIS IS MY SECOND FAVORITE. IF YOU LIKE A SMALLER GSHOCK THIS IS PERFECT. TAKE IT FROM A GSHOCK COLLECTOR. THIS WATCH IS A GREAT DURABLE WATCH. YOU WON'T FIND A BETTER DIGITIAL WATCH FOR THE PRICE. THIS LOOKS JUST LIKE THE FIRST GSHOCK TO HIT THE MARKET BACK IN 1983. SOLAR ATOMIC GSHOCK THE GWM5610-1 IS WITH WORLD TIME, COUNT DOWN TIMER. AND STOP WATCH. THE BEST PART ABOUT OWNING THIS WATCH IS SET ONCE AND NEVER HAVE TO SET IT AGAIN. JUST LIKE ALL CASIO GSHOCK SOLAR ATOMIC WATCHES. ENJOY THIS OR ANY OTHER GSHOCK YOU BUY. REMEMBER THAT THE BEST WATCH IS THE ONE THAT FITS YOUR STYLE. ENJOY THIS WATCH OR ANY OTHER GSHOCK WATCH YOU BUY.
review image review image review image
on January 9, 2017
I really like this watch. The retro look combined with the modern innovation of being solar power is a great blend of classic design merged with modern technology.

What appealed to me about this watch is that it was designed for purely practical and pragmatic reasons, but also the history behind its previous descendants. This model is based on the DW-5600C-1V, the same watch worn by Keanu Reeves in the movie 'Speed', but more impressively, the watch was approved for NASA space missions.

Although this G Shock isn't the DW-5600C-1V, it is a modern upgrade replete with the same qualities which made it so robust.

The watch itself was delivered quickly by Amazon to Australia. Setting up the time was a simple process, and because I have small wrists, I find the bigger G Shocks tend to be a bit big on the wrists and get in the way a bit, this watch however is a good size.

The most impressive thing is the atomic time keeping function of this watch. Currently living in Australia, I am unfortunately unable to take advantage of this feature, however, being someone who travels a lot, I will be taking advantage of this option.

I also constantly use the auto-illumination option, as I am a nurse who frequently works night shifts, this feature is great for keeping time in a dimly lit ward. A simple tilt of my wrist at a 30 degree angle illuminates the time.

Most importantly though, the reason I bought this watch is due to its robustness. This watch will hold up just as well as some of the more expensive G Shocks out there. Being solar powered, I will only have to change the batteries every 10 years or so, not potentially every 2.

A great buy, a great watch made by a reliable company.
review image review image review image
on April 12, 2015
I've been using this watch for two month and so far I love it. I wanted a watch to wear all the time and it last more than usual watches.Moreover, it doesn't die when I go scuba diving or swimming.
I've had other Casio models like Edifice but I was not happy with any of them! They were bulky, heavy, and they've been pulling my wrist hair all the time, which was very annoying!
This one is the thinnest and smallest G-shock model and very comfortable! The display is very clean and easy to read for any age and at any angle and significantly easier to read in comparison with black-display models. The back light is amazing and there is no way you cant read the display at night!
So far after 2 months of use I have not found anything about it that bothers me!
on May 2, 2017
If you need a reliable sport watch, this is the one. For the money (under $100) you can not buy a better watch from the view of functions, comfort, versatility and reliability.

Pros:
- accurate (atomic time sync every night)
- multi-function (perpetual calendar, timer, split stop watch, alarms, second time zone).
- 200m water resistance (you can swim, even snorkel but no deep diving)
- display light function with automatic tilt illumination, easy to see time in the dark
- light weight
- solar (never needs a battery)
- very heavy duty
- very comfortable on the wrist
- this particular watch has the iconic 80's look but with all the modern technology in it)

Cons:
- Casio is no Rolex
- limited strap/band replacement options (you are basically stuck with the one it comes with)
- atomic sync takes a while to get used to (you have to learn where and how to position the watch as all other electronics and cell phone interference is making it hard
- the glass can scratch (although it is recessed for protection)
- LCD display is a little hard to read in the sun
- controls can take some time to get a hand of
on March 10, 2017
I have had the watch for 2 months now, and it has become my new daily driver.

I was daily-ing larger G Shocks for the past several years, and the GW is the right size for daily wear. I don't have to worry about nicking the bezel or scratching the face, this thing is built to last. Thats why I love Casios, and G Shocks specifically.

The buttons can be fussy to press at first, but once you get used to it, you appreciate it for the directness and purpose of the design.

The timekeeping is great, I have a watch stand that overnight, it syncs about 70% of the nights it is there, either at 12:04am, 1:04am, or 2:04am. Although sometimes if I happen to leave it on the floor in a pile of clothes, it will sync then too. The longest I have gone without a sync is 7 or 8 days.

The powersave mode is not a hassle at all, the watch display will turn right back on as soon as it sees enough light.

If you are even slightly considering buying this watch, go ahead and get it. This watch is tempting me to offload some of my older G Shocks, as they simply do not get as much wear-time now that this watch is doing such a great job for me.

Accurate time, clear date and day, and durable.
on July 30, 2016
I've owned a couple of G-Shocks in the past. I really swear by these watches and I really love the fact that Casio still produces "retro" models. This is virtually identical to the DW-5000C I had as a kid in the 1980s, but with modern features.

DURABILITY: I'm never purposely abusive with any of my belongings, but I do work in a warehouse, so having shock resistance is pretty important to me. This watch seems to be every bit as durable as the G-Shocks I've owned before and I fully expect that it will last at least 10+ years.

COMFORT: On-par with my previous G-Shocks -- about average. I'll probably replace the stock resin band with a NATO-style nylon band down the line. In the end, this is only a minor gripe and the stock band is acceptable for this price range.

SOLAR CHARGING: I can't speak to the long-term reliability of the solar charging feature because I've only had this watch for a few days now, but it arrived with a "High" battery charge and has stayed that way ever since.

MULTI BAND 6: The watch arrived with its time last synced in May 2016 and it was off by about 10 seconds. Since I've put the watch on, it has automatically synced without fail every night. Living in Arizona, I'm relatively close to the Fort Collins tower that services the US. My bed sits parallel to a large window, so I suppose that helps out quite a bit. I'll also note that I've been sleeping with the watch on and it still syncs just fine. I did do a manual sync once last night out of curiosity and the watch took around 5 minutes to sync with an "L3" (strong) signal.

AUTO EL: I must have received a watch from a newer batch that isn't plagued by the Auto EL problem described in some reviews because it seems to function properly for me. Nonetheless, I turned the feature off after a few hours because I find it to be more of a novelty than truly useful. Pressing the button isn't really that big of a deal to me if I need the EL backlight.
on March 9, 2017
I absolutely LOVE this watch, and have been wearing it almost every waking hour since I've gotten it. I loved the smaller form factor of my original Casio G-Shock DW-5000, and this matches it almost perfectly. It maintains the same form & fit, but adds to the functionality with the Tough Solar charging and 6-band radio time sync. I wasn't originally big on solar charging watches, but - having bought a few solar Casios, and being impressed with their ability to maintain a charge with regular usage (especially their ProTrek watches) - now I'm a convert. After the initial top-up, I've never had problems with any of my Casio watches running low - even in intermittent or artificial light (I sometimes work a night schedule). If you loved the original G-Shock DW-5000 form factor, you'll probably like this as well. It replaces several other VERY good Casio watches as my new EDC watch, and it'll probably even be my field watch most of the time.
review image review image
on May 13, 2015
Great watch, however it doesn't seem to be able to sync anywhere in the NYC area - perhaps too much interference. I was worried it is defective, but when I traveled out of the city, the atomic sync worked without a problem.