Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 634 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 686 reviews
on February 1, 2016
The direct descendent of the original Casio G-Shock that was released in 1983 is the GW-5000, which is available as an import from Japan. This GW-M5610 is a first cousin of that pricier watch and it carries on the tradition of tough square G-Shocks. What you lose from the GW-5000 is the stainless steel case with a screwed-down back whereas the GW-M5610 has a resin case with a stainless steel back plate held down with four screws. Both watches have identical features including solar charging, atomic time synchronization, World Time, four daily alarms with snooze function, a countdown timer, a stopwatch, and electroluminescent illumination that can be automatically engaged with the movement of your wrist in a dark environment. The GW-M5610 gets a red surround and white, blue, and yellow writing on the face which makes it a little busier aesthetically than more monochromatic versions of the 5000 and 5600 series.

The first thing I noticed about the watch is how much smaller, thinner, and lighter it is compared to round G-Shock versions I own. It is an excellent choice to wear under long sleeves and jackets because it easily fits underneath them with minimal interference. I will be using this watch in the winter months for daily wear due to its sleek profile. The second thing of note is the crisp clarity of the numbers in the positive LCD screen. It surpasses my Casio Pro-Trek PRW-3500 in regards to off-axis legibility even though the Pro-Trek’s digits are 50% larger than the GW-M5610’s. I am really impressed with how good this watch’s display is.

I find the strap fits comfortably on my 7-1/2 inch wrist. The light weight makes me forget that I am even wearing a watch at all. Contrary to the dozens of complaints from previous owners here on Amazon, my auto backlight function works perfectly fine even though I leave it shut off in order to conserve power. My watch was manufactured on January 8, 2015 so maybe Casio has finally fixed the issue with faulty backlight switches. There are several one star reviews of this watch here because of this issue and I honestly cannot understand how one can downgrade the rating of the entire watch due to one feature that most G-Shock users end up turning off anyway. The auto backlight duration unfortunately is not adjustable like my Pro-Trek and Gulfmaster. I would prefer the ability to lengthen it from 1 second to 3, but this is a minor nit.

The function buttons are all recessed into a protective niche on the side of the case so pressing them only works for me when I use the tip of a fingernail. Action is positive and appropriate for the pressing force I apply. The World Time, stop watch, and timer functions all work like other Casio digital watches and are intuitively accessed with mode button. The one complaint I do have is that the volume of the alarm signal is very weak and probably would not wake a person from a deep sleep. If Amazon’s star rating system would allow it, I would subtract a half star for this and would suggest not relying on this watch for important wake-ups and instead using the alarm from dedicated alarm clock or smart phone. Note that this isn’t any different than the other Casio solar-charged watches, so it may be a function of reduced battery capacity.

My watch arrived from Amazon with the power reserve showing at the Medium level. I put it out in the sun for about 30 minutes and the reading went to High. I set my home city, clicked Daylight Savings Time to the automatic setting, and synched the watch to the atomic clock signal in Ft. Collins without any trouble. Each evening just after midnight it synchs automatically so the watch always has an accurate time reading. I’ve had no issues with not receiving the signal but then again I live in a state bordering Colorado and all my atomic watches synch each day without fail.

This watch is a great heir to the spirit of the original G-Shock. It wears small and comfortably on the wrist, is tough as nails, cost about one-third of what the GW-5000 does, has the accuracy of atomic synching, should run for a decade or more on the original solar battery (note that all solar watches will need to have the rechargeable battery replaced as some time in their lives), and has a very clear and legible display.

As a long-time G-Shock owner, I have previously been drawn to only the round case models. I find it remarkable that after finally taking the plunge with this square case GW-M5610 that I have been absolutely delighted by this watch. It’s certainly not very flashy and has a nerdy charm of its own. No one in going to compliment you on it, but that’s all part of the fun of being a G-Shock fan. I now regret taking so long to come around to the Square Side and can recommend this watch most highly.
on January 9, 2017
I really like this watch. The retro look combined with the modern innovation of being solar power is a great blend of classic design merged with modern technology.

What appealed to me about this watch is that it was designed for purely practical and pragmatic reasons, but also the history behind its previous descendants. This model is based on the DW-5600C-1V, the same watch worn by Keanu Reeves in the movie 'Speed', but more impressively, the watch was approved for NASA space missions.

Although this G Shock isn't the DW-5600C-1V, it is a modern upgrade replete with the same qualities which made it so robust.

The watch itself was delivered quickly by Amazon to Australia. Setting up the time was a simple process, and because I have small wrists, I find the bigger G Shocks tend to be a bit big on the wrists and get in the way a bit, this watch however is a good size.

The most impressive thing is the atomic time keeping function of this watch. Currently living in Australia, I am unfortunately unable to take advantage of this feature, however, being someone who travels a lot, I will be taking advantage of this option.

I also constantly use the auto-illumination option, as I am a nurse who frequently works night shifts, this feature is great for keeping time in a dimly lit ward. A simple tilt of my wrist at a 30 degree angle illuminates the time.

Most importantly though, the reason I bought this watch is due to its robustness. This watch will hold up just as well as some of the more expensive G Shocks out there. Being solar powered, I will only have to change the batteries every 10 years or so, not potentially every 2.

A great buy, a great watch made by a reliable company.
review image review image review image
on April 12, 2015
I've been using this watch for two month and so far I love it. I wanted a watch to wear all the time and it last more than usual watches.Moreover, it doesn't die when I go scuba diving or swimming.
I've had other Casio models like Edifice but I was not happy with any of them! They were bulky, heavy, and they've been pulling my wrist hair all the time, which was very annoying!
This one is the thinnest and smallest G-shock model and very comfortable! The display is very clean and easy to read for any age and at any angle and significantly easier to read in comparison with black-display models. The back light is amazing and there is no way you cant read the display at night!
So far after 2 months of use I have not found anything about it that bothers me!
on May 2, 2017
If you need a reliable sport watch, this is the one. For the money (under $100) you can not buy a better watch from the view of functions, comfort, versatility and reliability.

Pros:
- accurate (atomic time sync every night)
- multi-function (perpetual calendar, timer, split stop watch, alarms, second time zone).
- 200m water resistance (you can swim, even snorkel but no deep diving)
- display light function with automatic tilt illumination, easy to see time in the dark
- light weight
- solar (never needs a battery)
- very heavy duty
- very comfortable on the wrist
- this particular watch has the iconic 80's look but with all the modern technology in it)

Cons:
- Casio is no Rolex
- limited strap/band replacement options (you are basically stuck with the one it comes with)
- atomic sync takes a while to get used to (you have to learn where and how to position the watch as all other electronics and cell phone interference is making it hard
- the glass can scratch (although it is recessed for protection)
- LCD display is a little hard to read in the sun
- controls can take some time to get a hand of
on March 10, 2017
I have had the watch for 2 months now, and it has become my new daily driver.

I was daily-ing larger G Shocks for the past several years, and the GW is the right size for daily wear. I don't have to worry about nicking the bezel or scratching the face, this thing is built to last. Thats why I love Casios, and G Shocks specifically.

The buttons can be fussy to press at first, but once you get used to it, you appreciate it for the directness and purpose of the design.

The timekeeping is great, I have a watch stand that overnight, it syncs about 70% of the nights it is there, either at 12:04am, 1:04am, or 2:04am. Although sometimes if I happen to leave it on the floor in a pile of clothes, it will sync then too. The longest I have gone without a sync is 7 or 8 days.

The powersave mode is not a hassle at all, the watch display will turn right back on as soon as it sees enough light.

If you are even slightly considering buying this watch, go ahead and get it. This watch is tempting me to offload some of my older G Shocks, as they simply do not get as much wear-time now that this watch is doing such a great job for me.

Accurate time, clear date and day, and durable.
on July 30, 2016
I've owned a couple of G-Shocks in the past. I really swear by these watches and I really love the fact that Casio still produces "retro" models. This is virtually identical to the DW-5000C I had as a kid in the 1980s, but with modern features.

DURABILITY: I'm never purposely abusive with any of my belongings, but I do work in a warehouse, so having shock resistance is pretty important to me. This watch seems to be every bit as durable as the G-Shocks I've owned before and I fully expect that it will last at least 10+ years.

COMFORT: On-par with my previous G-Shocks -- about average. I'll probably replace the stock resin band with a NATO-style nylon band down the line. In the end, this is only a minor gripe and the stock band is acceptable for this price range.

SOLAR CHARGING: I can't speak to the long-term reliability of the solar charging feature because I've only had this watch for a few days now, but it arrived with a "High" battery charge and has stayed that way ever since.

MULTI BAND 6: The watch arrived with its time last synced in May 2016 and it was off by about 10 seconds. Since I've put the watch on, it has automatically synced without fail every night. Living in Arizona, I'm relatively close to the Fort Collins tower that services the US. My bed sits parallel to a large window, so I suppose that helps out quite a bit. I'll also note that I've been sleeping with the watch on and it still syncs just fine. I did do a manual sync once last night out of curiosity and the watch took around 5 minutes to sync with an "L3" (strong) signal.

AUTO EL: I must have received a watch from a newer batch that isn't plagued by the Auto EL problem described in some reviews because it seems to function properly for me. Nonetheless, I turned the feature off after a few hours because I find it to be more of a novelty than truly useful. Pressing the button isn't really that big of a deal to me if I need the EL backlight.
on March 9, 2017
I absolutely LOVE this watch, and have been wearing it almost every waking hour since I've gotten it. I loved the smaller form factor of my original Casio G-Shock DW-5000, and this matches it almost perfectly. It maintains the same form & fit, but adds to the functionality with the Tough Solar charging and 6-band radio time sync. I wasn't originally big on solar charging watches, but - having bought a few solar Casios, and being impressed with their ability to maintain a charge with regular usage (especially their ProTrek watches) - now I'm a convert. After the initial top-up, I've never had problems with any of my Casio watches running low - even in intermittent or artificial light (I sometimes work a night schedule). If you loved the original G-Shock DW-5000 form factor, you'll probably like this as well. It replaces several other VERY good Casio watches as my new EDC watch, and it'll probably even be my field watch most of the time.
review image review image
on July 9, 2015
I lost total count of how many G-Shock watches I've ever owned, but this is the third one I currently have. My other two are the GW3000BB-1A that I wear for nicer occasions, and the DW5600E-1V that I wear for work. In planning a month long overseas trip with mixed urban and outdoor activities, I wanted a watch that was good looking watch, and also inexpensive so as to not worry about scratching it, losing it, or replacing it.

I'm usually not a fan of big and bulky watches due to having a small (157 mm circumference) wrist. Complicated-looking watches with features/dials/gauges are just silly, especially if they are features I would never use. After owning the GW3000, I really like the atomic solar feature. There are a few other atomic solar G-Shocks on Amazon that are slightly less expensive, but these are the reasons why I chose the GWM5610-1.

Compared to the DW5600, this GWM5610 costs more than twice as much, but I think the GWM5610 is indeed twice as good. As long as you have atomic clock signal reception, you never have to set the time. You can set a second time zone for the world clock. It is not half the weight, nor is twice as durable, but these might be the only areas that the watch is not twice as good as the DW5600.

Setting its time zone was far easier than with the GW3000 due to having a digital display and not having arms which are used to indicate settings and times. With regards to DST selection, this watch allows you to choose between automatic/on/off. Therefore, if you live in Arizona where half the year we are with Mountain Standard and the rest with Pacific Standard, you will have no problems with the GWM5610. Contrary, The GW3000 does not allow you to choose the DST mode, and it automatically selects the DST mode based on the time zone you select. Thus, with the GW3000, I have to change the time zone between LAX and DEN twice a year. Annoyance.

I have not attempted, and I may end up not trying, but because the bezel of this GWM5610 appears identical to the DW5600's, I believe the bezel can be removed and "stealthed." I will probably wear it for a few days and decide if I like it the way it is, or go ahead and stealth it. I think the different colors on the face of the watch complement each other well, and it might look better as is.

Eventually, I may replace the DW5600 with this watch as my work watch. Working in an occupation that requires accurate time for record keeping, the atomic feature would be nice to have. At the moment, readjusting the time on the DW5600 once every other month or so is not a big issue. Perhaps, when the DW5600 breaks (if it ever would), I would replace it with another GWM5610.

There is one issue, and it may be a big issue for you. This watch has an automatic backlight feature that turns the backlight on when in a dark room and when the watch face is tilted from a horizontal position to a minimum of 40 degrees upward (as if you're bringing the watch to your face). The feature is called Auto EL, and it can be turned on and off.

Apparently, many GWM5610 come with defective Auto EL from the factory. You probably saw many reviewers and product question stating this. Many have returned their watch to Amazon only to get another defective watch. These defective units are sold at retailers other than Amazon as well.

My watch is indeed defective. I confirmed this by making sure the watch was charged, and then putting the watch in the tilt sensor test mode (by pressing the A, B, and C buttons simultaneously), and noting that the watch did not sense me tilting it. It will display "8888" if it senses that there is tilting occurring.

I wasn't planning on using the Auto EL feature. I believe I had an old watch decades ago that had this feature, and I didn't find it particularly useful. If the feature was working, I may find it useful at work at night when I'm unable to touch my watch with my fingers. Considering that the watch is solar, battery life is not a concern either. It's pretty cool, again, if it was working.

I don't think I will be asking for a replacement. I am cutting it close to my trip, and may not have enough time to receive a replacement from Amazon. Seeing how many people have received defective watches from recent purchases dating back a few years, I feel that I might get a defective replacement anyway.

Because I'm not horribly heartbroken that the Auto EL does not work, I'm only deducting one star from the review. Again, you may feel that this is a deal breaker.

Links:
My review for the GW3000BB-1A: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3EWELTCRE08Y5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B004YZIBSK
Amazon's GW3000BB-1A product page: http://amzn.com/B004YZIBSK
Amazon's DW5600E-1V product page: http://amzn.com/B000GAYQKY

__________
Update on 2015/07/17 at 18:39 Arizona Standard Time

Star rating changed from 4 stars to 3 due to receiving three defective watches. I won't be asking for another replacement. I guess I wasn't meant to have Auto EL.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1010 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2015
Great watch, however it doesn't seem to be able to sync anywhere in the NYC area - perhaps too much interference. I was worried it is defective, but when I traveled out of the city, the atomic sync worked without a problem.
on February 27, 2017
I love this watch! I have a Mudman with Tough Solar for quite a number of years, so I'm aware how along the battery can hold.
I have small wrist, so it fits well. Plus it's light weight. I am fine having it on all day and night.
The words Protection & G Shock on the front bezel are quite subtle. Not that loud as you see in the product photos. The red square ring too.
Auto EL works fine, but I prefer it off.
I took one star off because the strap finishing has that kind of finishing that shows the end of the manufacturing process(a slight bit of excess marking). It's alright, but I would preferred a smoother finishing. You may refer to the pic.
Back to the good points, this watch has Power Saving function!
Screen goes to sleep in the dark without movement.
Definitely a watch to get for Gshock lovers.
review image review image review image review image