Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 654 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 733 reviews
on April 24, 2013
I've been wearing this every day for a week. It is my 5th G-Shock. Here are my first impressions. I will update this review later, as I notice more things. (although I already notice a lot, as I'm a watch collector)

+ Bracelet doesn't pull arm hairs. Center links are folded, outer edges are solid; I'm not sure how Casio does this!
+ Bracelet doesn't have a "tail" that comes untucked, like most G-Shocks
+ Solar/Atomic
+ Big main display
+ Useless Time Memo function is replaced by a useful Countdown Timer on this latest model
+ Nice bold, contrasty LCD segments
+ Prominent "radar dish" display at the bottom, to show that the watch radio-sync'd with the atomic clock the previous night.
+ Light button is convenient and serves only that purpose; it is never mixed up with any other button.
+ Bracelet and silver/gray color them dresses up this G-Shock to the point that it can be worn with business casual dress. Finally, I can wear a G-Shock to work, without feeling like some punk kid. ;)
+ Bracelet links are held in place with small spring bars, not friction pins like on most bracelets. This is very nice, as they will never accidentally loosen over time, and all that is needed to size the bracelet is a push pin or a small flat head jeweler's screwdriver. (just take care to trap the open end, so you don't fire it across the room or into your eye)

- Time of day is only displayed on the home screen and alarm screen. It should also be displayed in the bottom of the display for World Time, Stopwatch, and Timer screens, IMO.
- Champaign-colored parts that connect the watch head to the bracelet don't match either part. This is weird, but not a deal-killer for me.
- 'ADJUST' button requires a VERY hard, continued push to work.
- I would like to see the 'return to home' functionality re-introduced into Casio's modern digital watches. The old one, such as the CA53W calculator watch, and the 5600C G-Shock had this feature. How it works is that if one makes a change or uses one of the sub-features (for example, starting the stopwatch) then the next press of the MODE button takes me back to the home screen. This saves a lot of button-pushing! Casio should update the firmware to implement this and the time-of-day feature in future production.
55 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2014
I love this watch. I've had this watch for almost 9 years. I wear my watches everywhere except the shower or swimming. Otherwise, it never leaves my wrist. I've never had to change a strap or battery in the past 9 years. Overtime the paint has worn, and its started to crack at the plastic, and some of the buttons have become difficult to press, but I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. So much so to replace it, I bought the same exact model! I did a side by side of the 9 year old and the new one for comparison. The new one feels ever so slightly lighter, but according to my postage scale they weigh nearly the same.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2013
This is a brand new watch from Casio in their G-Shock line. It's an upgrade to the MTG900DA-8v. The biggest differences are the "Time Memo" function in the older version is replaced with a much more functional and desirable "Countdown Timer," and this new version sports a 6-band receiver in place of the older single band receiver. This means the watch can receive signals from all over the world rather than just in the US making this version the best choice from world travelers.

As a note to those reading some of the negative, battery related reviews on the old version, PLEASE READ the manual. It has plenty of relevant and useful info related to how the battery is charged, how it's drained, how long it takes to charge under various types of light, etc. Turning on every possible function will, of course, drain the battery faster. Then putting in under a shirt or coat sleeve will not allow it to charge. Even partially covered, some or all of the solar cells may be blocked. The dark areas around the face are actually 6 solar cells; 2each at the top/bottom and one each on the sides. They are all required to properly charge the battery.

When I received this watch, it was fully charged and last sync was on 12/24. I got it on Jan. 2 and it was about 2 seconds fast. That means it gained about 2 seconds/week which is less than the tolerance of 15 seconds/month if not synced for that long. It attempts to sync up to 6 times/day in all but China where it will try 5 times/day. In any case, once it successfully syncs for the day, it will not do it again until the next day. I followed the clear instructions to manually sync it rather than wait for the next cycle and it got it to within a fraction of a second. The sync cycle can take 2 to 7 minutes and syncs both time and date data, if available from the sync source. In the USA, both are provided.

The band is the standard folder clasp style and comes large enough to fit most guys. I removed 3 links to fit my wrist. There's a clasp adjustment within a half link for variations is weather and swelling/contraction of the wrist. Nice feature. The clasp overall seems secure and requires depressing buttons on either side so it's not likely to just come undone during normal activities.

Some people have complained about some plastic parts on the case. The base structure is metal and the plastic is there. However, it appears that the plastic is strategically placed so as to help protect the case and face from shock or other bumps/bruises. Also, the crystal is recessed significantly so it would be protected from the typical brushing against anything that might scratch it. This is an important point considering it's got solar collection cells in there that must not be obstructed.

The warranty is one year. I'd hoped it would be longer for a watch of this price. However, my experience with Casio products has been good enough for me to buy without worrying too much.

Overall, I'm really pleased and hope to have this watch for many years. My old Timex broke awhile back and I've been searching for something worthy of my time and money. I think I found it.
99 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2016
This is a great watch. It has everything you need and nothing extra you don't. It is sharp looking. Durable. The automatic time and tough solar is excellent. The back-light is basically indiglo and also excellent. If there are any gripes at all it would be that the watch itself is a little thick but not obscenely and the watch face could be juuuuuust a touch bigger. Both things I can easily live with. It's not that the face is too small, it's that it could be a bit bigger. I'm totally digging this watch. It's tough, accurate, easy to set up and maintenance free. I am 6' 2" , 260lbs and the band was huge on me. I removed 3 links and adjusted the clasp. Removing links is definitely a pain in the a$$ but it's one time and you're done. Not the worst thing in the world and pretty much like any other pinned watch band like it. This is my very first Casio and I haven't regretted buying it for a minute. I haven't found any of the "flaws" to be worthy of taking a star as they are mostly just personal observations and preferences of thickness and watch face size. I came from a Fossil watch with a much larger face yet smaller digits on the digital portion of the face and it was also very thick and much heavier than the Casio. So with that said, all in all, great watch. 5 stars.
review image review image review image review image
on February 10, 2017
I received this in the mail today from Amazon. I absolutely love it. I have over 3p gshock watches. This is my first Gshock with a stainless steel bracelet. Let me first say l wasn't sure l would like a stainless steel band but l love the way it fits. I have a friend who works at a jewelry store. Who took out the links for me and it fits perfect. I have been wearing it all day and no discomfort at all. I have the Gwm500a.gshock that is similar to this watch. Which is a great watch. But no comparison to this watch in looKS . This watch has a large display. I have all kinds of Gshocks. The Rangeman the king Gxw56-1bjf gshock 4 Mudman gshocks 2 Gulfman gshocks. And way to many more to mention. I have been wearing gshocks for almost 34 years. I had the first one to hit the market in 1983. So take it from a gshock collector. This is a perfect watch for any occasion. The watch is for formal or Casual wear. I am so glad that I bought this watch. I can't believe how cheap the price was on Amazon. I am a Prime Member 2 day delivery. Buy you will love it guaranteed. I Love all gshocks Big or small and this will look great on any size wrist. I have a 7 inch wrist size and fits perfect once you take some links out. Enjoy this watch or any other gshock watch you buy. Remember that the best watch is the one on your Wrist.
review image review image
on November 9, 2016
After 3 months on my wrist, the solar battery doesn't retain a charge. I didn't immediately put it into use, as I still have a working predecessor and I needed to get it sized. When it began to fail,I wasn't even sure what the problem was. At first, it stopped showing the time in the dark, and I thought maybe it wasn't seeing enough light while on my wrist. After a few tests, I realized I couldn't even get it back to a full charge. It is discharging quickly, and can go from a 'good' medium charge to 'low' and unable to display in the dark within a matter of hours.

And I came back to my account expecting to find a method for return. Nothing here, but I won't simply accept that on a $100 watch.
on July 18, 2015
I love the look of this watch and I have two friends who have owned the same model for over 5 years, so it's durability attracted me in the first place. I love the stainless steel band but even with large wrists such as mine I had to have 3 links removed to customize the fit. You can remove links yourself but with my luck one of the little spring loaded pins would shoot across the room, lost forever. So I opted for a jeweler and he charged me 5 bucks to custom fit my watch. I was a little concerned about the weight of the watch because I usually wear plastic or leather bands. After just one day wearing the watch I forgot about the added weight of the stainless band. Truly. But your mileage may vary. The watch face is easy to read in all light conditions and the light button works well. I kept the power save function enabled so after about 3 hours of being perfectly still after removing the watch and placing it on my nightstand (I suppose it has a motion sensor of sorts?) the watch goes into 'sleep' mode and there is no digital display (you can disable this mode if you wish). I just put the watch on my wrist to wake it up or you can press any button to do same. It's a wonderful battery saving feature that I will keep enabled. It never goes into sleep mode while on my wrist. Everything, including all alarms still function in sleep mode, only the display is affected to save battery life. The atomic sync works perfectly and as such, this watch keeps better time than some watches that cost 10 times as much. Solar charging works brilliantly. I've owned a few G-Shocks and this is, by far, the finest model I've owned yet.
on August 1, 2015
I purchased this watch because of the solar battery and the radio control time keeper, I own other Casio watches with these features. When I left this watch in the sun for two days it did not fully charge the battery, it only remained mid way charge. So I sent the watch back for a replacement. When I received the replacement the battery received a full charge after 2 hours in the sun. I downloaded the instruction manual so I could enlarge it on my computer, as with all Casio watch manuals the print is so small, it is impossible for me to read. Setting the watch up was average, the only negative thing is the control buttons are very difficult to press in, other reviews state the same thing. Adjusting the band's links is absolutely absurd! They have spring loaded pins which is next to impossible to remove and replace; I even purchased a toll especially made for spring loaded pins, this was no better than a small eyeglasses screw driver, it you have a couple of hours to waste and the patients of a saint, give it a try, otherwise have a jeweler do it for several bucks.The time sync control took several tries to synch the time. Overall the watch is a good buy as long as everything is working before you have the band adjusted.
on April 20, 2017
I owned an older version of this watch for somewhere south of 10 years. Thought it would be the last watch I ever bought and loved every minute of it... until I lost it on an off roading trip. Super sad! Anyway, had to get another one just like it, except that apparently is no longer possible. My new one looks just like the old one, but one of its killer features turns out to ruin my experience. I live in Arizona and we don't ever change our clocks, so I never need DST. I can turn off DST, but every time the atomic sync happens it turns back on. This has me dreading the updates, which is just stupid. My old watch never did this. I turned off DST and it stayed off. So the watch I used to love is now a regular annoyance. What a bummer. FYI- home city is set to Denver, there is no Arizona city option, old phone was set the same.
on April 18, 2017
As a kid i would always wear a watch and think it was the coolest thing, i had the casio "Osama bin Laden" one, a complete classic with back light and all the simple stuff you really need, i was surprise to see they still sell it for $10 bucks brand new!.
It's been a long time since i bought a watch but with my new job, one would come in handy so i went with the mtg 900 mainly because of its features (atomic/solar).
Let me tell you that so far i have been very pleased with it, when it arrived i checked the last time it had sync with a radio signal which was 9 months before it arrived and to my surprised it was just 15 seconds behind.
I tried to manually sync it with the radio signal but didn't work, i was worried i had faulty piece but it finally did yesterday in the middle of the night, i left the watch by the window with the 12 o'clock facing outside and it worked.
Now the only thing to see is how long it will last but so far i can't ask for anything else, it does what i need it to do and i dont have to worry about batteries or setting its time. Highly recommend it.
review image