Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on April 24, 2013
I've been wearing this every day for a week. It is my 5th G-Shock. Here are my first impressions. I will update this review later, as I notice more things. (although I already notice a lot, as I'm a watch collector)

+ Bracelet doesn't pull arm hairs. Center links are folded, outer edges are solid; I'm not sure how Casio does this!
+ Bracelet doesn't have a "tail" that comes untucked, like most G-Shocks
+ Solar/Atomic
+ Big main display
+ Useless Time Memo function is replaced by a useful Countdown Timer on this latest model
+ Nice bold, contrasty LCD segments
+ Prominent "radar dish" display at the bottom, to show that the watch radio-sync'd with the atomic clock the previous night.
+ Light button is convenient and serves only that purpose; it is never mixed up with any other button.
+ Bracelet and silver/gray color them dresses up this G-Shock to the point that it can be worn with business casual dress. Finally, I can wear a G-Shock to work, without feeling like some punk kid. ;)
+ Bracelet links are held in place with small spring bars, not friction pins like on most bracelets. This is very nice, as they will never accidentally loosen over time, and all that is needed to size the bracelet is a push pin or a small flat head jeweler's screwdriver. (just take care to trap the open end, so you don't fire it across the room or into your eye)

- Time of day is only displayed on the home screen and alarm screen. It should also be displayed in the bottom of the display for World Time, Stopwatch, and Timer screens, IMO.
- Champaign-colored parts that connect the watch head to the bracelet don't match either part. This is weird, but not a deal-killer for me.
- 'ADJUST' button requires a VERY hard, continued push to work.
- I would like to see the 'return to home' functionality re-introduced into Casio's modern digital watches. The old one, such as the CA53W calculator watch, and the 5600C G-Shock had this feature. How it works is that if one makes a change or uses one of the sub-features (for example, starting the stopwatch) then the next press of the MODE button takes me back to the home screen. This saves a lot of button-pushing! Casio should update the firmware to implement this and the time-of-day feature in future production.
55 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 12, 2014
I love this watch. I've had this watch for almost 9 years. I wear my watches everywhere except the shower or swimming. Otherwise, it never leaves my wrist. I've never had to change a strap or battery in the past 9 years. Overtime the paint has worn, and its started to crack at the plastic, and some of the buttons have become difficult to press, but I think I've gotten my moneys worth out of it. So much so to replace it, I bought the same exact model! I did a side by side of the 9 year old and the new one for comparison. The new one feels ever so slightly lighter, but according to my postage scale they weigh nearly the same.
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 31, 2016
This is a great watch. It has everything you need and nothing extra you don't. It is sharp looking. Durable. The automatic time and tough solar is excellent. The back-light is basically indiglo and also excellent. If there are any gripes at all it would be that the watch itself is a little thick but not obscenely and the watch face could be juuuuuust a touch bigger. Both things I can easily live with. It's not that the face is too small, it's that it could be a bit bigger. I'm totally digging this watch. It's tough, accurate, easy to set up and maintenance free. I am 6' 2" , 260lbs and the band was huge on me. I removed 3 links and adjusted the clasp. Removing links is definitely a pain in the a$$ but it's one time and you're done. Not the worst thing in the world and pretty much like any other pinned watch band like it. This is my very first Casio and I haven't regretted buying it for a minute. I haven't found any of the "flaws" to be worthy of taking a star as they are mostly just personal observations and preferences of thickness and watch face size. I came from a Fossil watch with a much larger face yet smaller digits on the digital portion of the face and it was also very thick and much heavier than the Casio. So with that said, all in all, great watch. 5 stars.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 31, 2016
My trusty Casio calculator watch died on me and I couldn't get the exact model as a replacement. After lots of looking and soul searching, I realized that I almost exclusively use my smart phone calculators these days anyway. Bigger buttons, more functions, etc. That eliminated the long held need for a watch with a calculator.
But I still like a wrist watch. I reviewed over a hundred makes and models over a huge price range with numerous features before selecting this one. (1) Solar powered with potential months on a charge, with a charge indicator easy to interpret without taking up lots of screen real estate. (2) Updates to the radio time broadcasts for nearly perfect timekeeping! (3) Another cool feature is I can hold my wrist horizontal for a few moments and the backlight turns on for a few seconds so I can easily read it at night, one handed. That's really handy.
Lots of stainless steel, recessed crystal, shock resistant, water resistant all help improve durability and product life. And it has multiple alarms if I want a backup for my smart phone alarms, a good stopwatch with splits and a countdown timer for cooking steaks. Sure beats relying on the smoke alarm. Absolutely love it.
on November 7, 2016
i love this watch, i am editing this review: casio: this is a WAY more comfortable watch than a resin band watch. MAKE MORE VERSIONS OF THIS WATCH AND PROSPER. this watch is the future. it is so comfortable. casio g-shock resin is not very comfortable. THIS METAL WATCH IS WEARABLE. make more. more faces, more colors (but keep the metal.)

this is an outstanding watch. i have a big wrist, and the shape of the model looks good on my wrist. the material is great too - the metal band is very comfortable and warms up to your skin. It is great with solar and radio accuracy.

I love this watch -- and I basically find G-shock uncomfortable. All plastic watches are wanting.

What I would love is MORE variety of models. (all with metal bands.) (I don't like the plastic/rubber watch bands.)

I would love a black band, a camo band, a blue band (with matching watches.)

WE SHOULD ALL CONTACT CASIO TO PUT OUT MORE OF THIS STYLE. An analog one, different faces, models, modes.

I contacted them. Please do too! here: [...]
on January 23, 2015
I got tired of buying the less expensive non-Casio digital watches and having them wear badly. I used to swear by Casio, but got tired of the resin bands cracking after a year or so, and switched to a different brand that had metal bands. I did work in a harsh environment (aboard ships in the tropics), so possibly sweat and strong sunlight may have had something to do with that. Anyway, the battery in my old inexpensive watch died, so figured I would look into a better watch. This one looked like it had everything I could possibly want or use in a watch. I was right. It is a little heavy and clunky, but to me that means substantial and well built. I also found the band to be a real pain to shorten. I watched the YouTube video, and I do have a set of jewelers screwdrivers, but it was still a royal pain. I almost broke down and took it to a jewelers, but finally got it done. After you get the first link out, the rest get a little easier. This watch is fantastic. After a day, I don't notice the weight. It looks very nice, and I have no problem wearing it as a dress watch. I wish they had this model when I first started shipping out since it looks pretty much bullet proof. The atomic clock resets the watch from anywhere in my house. It doesn't have to be near a window. The watch came about half charged, and after leaving it outside in direct sunlight for a few hours it now constantly stays on full charge. This is the ultimate watch for anyone who demands accuracy, durability, and dependability (and looks) in a watch. I only wish that they had an extra fold over locking piece on the clasp. The clasp seems sturdy, but the extra safety of having a double lock would have made this watch completely perfect.
on July 18, 2015
I love the look of this watch and I have two friends who have owned the same model for over 5 years, so it's durability attracted me in the first place. I love the stainless steel band but even with large wrists such as mine I had to have 3 links removed to customize the fit. You can remove links yourself but with my luck one of the little spring loaded pins would shoot across the room, lost forever. So I opted for a jeweler and he charged me 5 bucks to custom fit my watch. I was a little concerned about the weight of the watch because I usually wear plastic or leather bands. After just one day wearing the watch I forgot about the added weight of the stainless band. Truly. But your mileage may vary. The watch face is easy to read in all light conditions and the light button works well. I kept the power save function enabled so after about 3 hours of being perfectly still after removing the watch and placing it on my nightstand (I suppose it has a motion sensor of sorts?) the watch goes into 'sleep' mode and there is no digital display (you can disable this mode if you wish). I just put the watch on my wrist to wake it up or you can press any button to do same. It's a wonderful battery saving feature that I will keep enabled. It never goes into sleep mode while on my wrist. Everything, including all alarms still function in sleep mode, only the display is affected to save battery life. The atomic sync works perfectly and as such, this watch keeps better time than some watches that cost 10 times as much. Solar charging works brilliantly. I've owned a few G-Shocks and this is, by far, the finest model I've owned yet.
on December 5, 2016
This is my "go to" everyday watch. It's precise to the second. Kind of a what a watch should be in my opinion. No need to reset the date every month. Nice! You can bang it around without worrying about damaging it. (To a point I suppose.)
It is a bit clunky in size (I'm smaller) but I never notice it on my wrist.
The metal band is comfortable and never pulls arm hair. The locking mechanism on the band has never released on it own in several months.
Super easy to read face.
This might not make sense to you but the dial is never lit unless you push a button which is important if you tend to wake up in the middle of the night. On my other watches with glow in the dark hands, when I see 3:47 AM my brain goes hay wire. "Shoot! I have to get up in 2 hours and 13 minutes!" which for some reason makes it harder to go back to sleep.
I see this watch as a very practical tool. It has a ton of features which I never use so I can't geek out on that. Read other reviews if your a techie. No disrespect intended. But for us non tech types this is still a great practical watch.
on August 7, 2017
This is my first G-Shock watch, and I'm very pleased with it so far. I wanted a tough solar atomic stainless steel model and this fits my needs beautifully. The stainless steel band is easy on and off, and doesn't pull hair. Resizing the band was a little tricky, but I only have to do it once. My watches get banged up a lot, and this one looks and feels like it can take it. Solid. I hate changing watch batteries, and with this one all it needs is a decent amount of light to keep going. I don't even have to think about it in the summer, and come winter I plan to just stick it under a little LED desk lamp when it needs a boost. I also hate wondering how far off the time is. The automatic sync to atomic time in the wee hours of the morning works fine if you follow the instructions to the letter. It needs to sit still in a window, away from metal objects, including aluminum window frames, which I have. I sit it on a wooden chair up against a glass door so that it's about 18 inches away from the closest frame, and in that spot it hasn't failed to sync yet. The time stays right on the money. The only further evaluation is to see how well it holds up to abuse over time.
on January 18, 2018
This is my third atomic solar G shock. The others are plastic and need cleaning on the various function buttons, but they keep perfect time after twenty plus years. It took a little time adjusting the band on this one and it is slightly loose, but this is a nice watch and can provide me with countdown functions and stopwatch functions as needed. This Casio is a little less casual looking.