Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's AW80V-1BV
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Price:$19.59 - $37.25

on November 24, 2007
For quality of construction, features and look, it deserves 5 stars at this price. But unfortunately, Casio has put the glass (or plastic) cover on top surface of the watch and it is very easy to get scratched. Mine got scratched second day (just from a door). Timex usually put the glass slightly below the surface so that it doesn't get scratched easily. This scratch problem made me take 2 stars away from rating.
on June 12, 2008
I have been very pleased with this watch for what I paid for it. I don't use all the features (like the phone number storage), but the stopwatch and world time features are great. When I travel I leave the analog hands alone and just change the digital to the local time (with a few button presses only). It displays the major city of the time zone too (e.g. NYC). When I get home I push the mode button once and I am back to the standard display. I also really like that I can switch between 12 and 24 hr display with one button press.

It has 6 modes to cycle through with the mode button, and a nice feature is after you have used one (say the stopwatch) then pushing the mode button once jumps you straight back to the main time display - very thoughtfully designed.

The velcro strap is comfortable and the watch is light. My only complaint is the face does scratch relatively easily. It's fine for the office, but not for the workshop.
on September 26, 2011
While there's probably no ideal watch, this one comes closest to meeting my essential criteria. It's light, very comfortable, relatively thin and cheap enough that I won't shed many tears if I lose or wreck it. It has an analog face so I can read the time outdoors while wearing polarized sunglasses. It has a digital day/month/date display so I can correctly date checks and plan appointments. I prefer numbers rather than hashmarks on an analog watch and this has them. I've torn an expensive long-sleeve cycling jersey and snagged a couple of sweaters on a watch with an unguarded crown; this one has no crown or jutting controls, the function buttons are smoothly and elegantly integrated. While I'll likely use only the alarm functions, this model has lots of cool bells and whistles which might be handy someday, like DST jump and telememo. I've only worn it two weeks, but based on my more than 25 years of off-and-on experience with Casios, it should be dead-on accurate as well as tough (I wore my first Casio, an all-digital model, for twelve years and only junked it when the case was nearly corroded through). On the negative side... I agree with other reviewers that the backlight is almost useless. The "charge" on the luminous hands doesn't last long enough in the dark to make up for it either. Timex' Indiglo is a far superior system. Placing second indicator marks on a watch with no second hand is just silly. And like Casio watches since time immemorial, it has far too much verbiage crammed on the face. Why Casio insist on making their watches look cheap/tacky with all that excess signage is a mystery, but they always have and presumably always will. At least on this model, the lettering is near-microscopic and so doesn't detract much. In short - a very functional, good-looking watch for not much money. Put a second hand and a working night view system on the next version (Do NOT change anything else!) and I'll be first in line for it.
on May 28, 2009
[I bought this all black model(#AW80V-1BV), after writing the review below, about the same type but different color and wrist-strap watches below.
This all black colored with velcro wrist strap is great looking also with an almost distinctive touch! I love it!]

All of this for ONLY $20 each?!
WOW! I received both watches today - I bought both the AW80V-5BV (Brown with velcro wrist band) and the AW80V-7AV (White dial with black rubber? wrist band).

When unpacking them I was not surprised to see the watches looking pretty much like they showed on Amazon.com pictures. When I put each one of them on I was very pleasantly surprised at how much better they even looked when I put them on! Who knows, I have beautiful wrists?!... Seriously, I am very happy with the looks and would've thought they cost more if I've seen someone else wear them.

Talking about pricing this watch is a steal! I say again "all this for only $20?!" That's unbelievable! I am going back to check for other colors! I may be wearing a different watch every day just to match the color of my shirts!

Oh, the analog dial of both models is sooo easy to read! The digital display?... I can read it easily from many feets away!
The light is pretty bright! Who says it is not? I don't see myself using it often though... Who wants a light on their watch? Certainly not me! If I am in the dark, the last thing I want to know about is the time - there are more interesting things to do in the dark :) - unless, of course, I was some kind of a special forces commando, or was in some kind of trouble, etc..

SETUP - It was very easy, simple and logical! (Of course, I'm a genious too, besides having beautiful wrists). Seriously, after I adjusted the first one - it took only a few short minutes - by following the simple instructions in the manual, I did the second one without going to the instructions and, believe me, I am the type that would always prefer to have things done and ready, zero-setup type and it was NOT a pain, even for me.

Well, that's it! I recommend it.

SUMMARY: Excellent timekeeping device with expensive features, great looking watch - looks more expensive than it is!
on June 30, 2012
Great watch for the price. I bought it for casual wear but I'd have no problem wearing it with a shirt & tie if my Seiko was not available. Instructions are a little involved but not enough to turn me off to the watch. I like the dial design, can read it with or without my reading glasses, including the digital screen. Made well, I like the band, like one of the other reviewers said it's attached to the watch with pins like a regular watch. It gives the watch a nice neat look compared to the Velcro bands that other watches come with that sit on top of the band making it too bulky.

The only negative comment I have is that the light on it is a joke. It's not bright enough to be able to read the dial in the dark. If that's not your major reason for buying it I would definitely recommend it. Everything else works fine.

It's $1.50 cheaper now then when I bought it for 21.50 but I'm not complaining. Also it's easier to put on if you have problems getting the strap through the buckle with a regular band. This wraps around in seconds without a problem.

One of the main reasons I bought it was the 10-year battery. If I get anywhere close to that I'm a happy camper. The water resistance feature was the other reason. I've been in the water with it already with no problem.

You can't go wrong.

UPDATE: As other reviewers have said this plastic lens scratches very easily. I'd take off 1 star for that. Mine is difficult to read in some lighting situations.
on January 8, 2014
I bought this watch four years ago, and it keeps nearly perfect time -- lost maybe two seconds in four years. I love its accuracy, perpetual month/day calendar, durability, tight construction, light weight, 10-year battery, classic military style, digital time display supplement, world times, stop watch and timer functions. The telememo function I can do without, but I actually have used it when I went to the UK without an international cell phone.

Chiefly, I buy watches for utility, not snob appeal. I want them to be reliable, accurate and durable. My body chemistry chews up base metals, so I need watches to be either stainless steel or resin (gold is a waste of money in a watch, IMHO). Even the lume on the hands and the night light are adequate (although not great). So this has it all, and its positives FAR outweigh its few, minor negatives:

1) Acrylic crystal -- it scratches easily. But I just found a solution: Polywatch acrylic polish. I just ordered it for 8 bucks.

2) Chintzy faux leather on the band -- I liked the Velcro closure system for its infinite adjustability, but in a year the fake leather wore out in spots and revealed the ugly grey fuzzy base layer. Solution: I bought an official Casio all-resin band, which fully complements the watch's little bad-ass looks. I've also ordered a stripe Zulu NATO band, which is really going to look boss.

3) Resin case and lugs -- Not really a problem. A sharp blow put a little nick at 1 o'clock, but the case is matte, so you can hardly see it. I even had to take a close look to find it for this review.

So all this for less than $20 makes this watch one of mankind's greatest commercial values ever. Don't hesitate to buy it. At worst, it's a great beater watch or substitute when your #1 watch is on the fritz.
on May 25, 2014
I bought one of these in 2008 and the battery lasted just three years. Then I bought another one in July, 2011 and the battery just went dead yesterday which is a little less than three years so I don't know why they call it Casio Men's AW80V-1BV World Time Ana-Digi Data Bank 10-year battery.
on November 14, 2015
I bought this watch mostly to see if I would return to wearing watches. I wanted something decent quality, but not too expensive... and not as bulky as the G-shock. This watch fits the bill. I work as a technician, so hard use in damp to wet environments is the norm. I haven't had this watch too long, but it's holding up very well so far. The band is nylon, so while it isn't affected by water, it does absorb and hold it. I have to be careful not to get chemicals in the band, because it will hold them against my skin. It also takes some time to dry when you wash your hands without removing it first. I can't fault the watch for that, I just should have taken that into consideration when making my purchase. I just take it off when working in those conditions, and for that the velcro works well. I imagine like all velcro it will eventually need replacement, but I'll worry about that down the road. For now it's holding up quite well and doesn't seem to hold dirt as much as I thought it would. It does it's basic job just fine.. keeps time and date, it seems accurate enough. I never thought I would use the stopwatch function, but it has really come in handy... one more reason to leave my phone in my pocket. The stopwatch can be difficult to see when the hands are in the bottom half of the face, but since I don't need anything more precise than full seconds, it's not a big deal.

There aren't too many negatives to report. The illumination is kind of dim and hard to see at night, and it doesn't stay on long no matter how long you hold the button... for me it stays on not quite long enough to focus, then shuts off. The Afterglow only works on the hands, so there are no points of reference... my aging eyes have trouble telling the difference between 4AM and 5AM either with the illumination or the afterglow, and it takes three or four presses of the button to get enough of a look to tell the time. That's one reason it gets 4 stars instead of 5. The other reason I took off a star was how easily the face scratches. I know, inexpensive watch, inexpensive components.. I get it. Neither of the negatives was enough to remove a star alone, but together they brought me to 4 stars.

In conclusion, this was overall a good choice for my purposes. It's tough enough (so far) that it stands up to what I use it for, but inexpensive enough that it won't be a huge expense if it gets damaged or lost. I don't know that I would buy it again if it got lost or damaged, but I do think it was a good choice at the time. I can't imagine leaving the house without my watch, and now I know a little more about what I want when the time comes to replace it.

Update: After only two months, the face of the watch is scratched up pretty badly. I wear it everywhere, so I expected it to take some abuse, but I thought it was worth mentioning that the face scratches easily.
on February 4, 2016
It is exactly what I needed, exactly what I wanted and perhaps even more importantly (in terms of whomever might be reading this), EXACTLY what I paid for: a plain, simple, functional, inexpensive analog/digital watch. Disclaimer though: I'm a 100% "meat & potatoes", pragmatic kind of guy, completely oblivious and/or indifferent to style and other similar concerns. I just wanted/needed a watch I could use in the dark without the need of pushing a "light" button (the analog hands glow in the dark) and that I could program with an alarm, and that is it. I don't plan on using any of its other features. Added bonus: it's essentially weightless, which I absolutely love! Most of the time I actually forget that I'm wearing it. So there you go, hope that helps!
on February 6, 2014
without the book this watch is basically impossible to set up, so if you buy it don't loose the book or the watch is trash.

I bought this watch for my husband to go to the gym, so he has a way of timing his exercise, the display for the stopwatch is so small that you basically can't see it.

He hates it and had it on for two day until he just couldn't take it, he now keeps it in a drawer just in case his other watch breaks.

But if you don't care about the stop watch function, go ahead and get it, it is not a bad looking watch and it is cheap. For us however it was not a good purchase