Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 5, 2017
My demands were fairly easy, I thought: I wanted an analog watch with a calendar, an alarm, and a light. The watch would have to hold up to rugged use. My demands were far too simple to actually exist, however. As it turns out, the fewer "additions" you want on your watch, the more you pay. Universally.

I do not need or want the time zones of 85 different places on Earth. I do not need to calculate the drag/use ratio of jet fuel in a plane. I will never be more than 600 feet deep in the water, and I do not need an LED headlight on my watch that would blind the Mars rover from Earth. I did not want or need a digital display. These things, however, seem to be included in almost every G-Shock watch. This is my third G-Shock so I know it is going to survive the beating it is going to take on my wrist.

ON WITH THE REVIEW:

The white hands in this watch stand out brightly against the dark background. As to the illumination, this is one of the brightest lights I have seen on a G-Shock; its an orange light generated from the bottom. You cannot see the digital display when the light is on. Maybe that is a drawback to you, but I'm good with it.

The only thing I wish G-Shock would do universally is to include glow in the dark tips on the analog hands as they do on the G100-1BV model (this was my second G-Shock, and had it been just a little bigger I would have bought it again. That model is about 3/4 the size of this one). This watch advertises "afterglow," but that doesn't help when I want to see my watch hands in the dark a few hours after I turn off the lights.

Overall this is a very nice watch for the price and I would highly recommend it.
on January 18, 2016
I got this as a gift for a fellow police officer who works night... Let me say this, it has been a trooper through some of the things it's been submitted to already. The "too dim" issue that some people speak of is actually a bonus for him. You can't have a watch that's going to light up and entire room if you bump into a wall after clearing a building- that'd be a HUGE issue. I have a Casio watch myself and have been contemplating transitioning to this one due to how effective it has been.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2017
G-Shock watches are great timepieces, especially if you are in a job where you tend to beat and bang on stuff...such as construction, warehousing, etc;. They hold up very well to abuse because of the case wrapping around the watch. This is my second, the other lasted a long time, and I would still have it, but I wore out the band and decided to purchase a new one. With the price at a very reasonable level, I chose this one. For those of you mentioning the size, it is larger...but not as large as some. The trend seems to be leaning towards this size now than what I would call a normal watch size. While this is sort of a ' black-out ' watch make no mistake it is not...simply because if you were trying to move about in a stealthy manner and you didn't want your position revealed, this watch won't cut it. The face is extremely reflective and with light shining on it...you might as well be carrying a flashlight. Having said that, it is hard to read the digital part EXCEPT in light...in other words it is very dark without direct light on the face or using the internal light which is a amber color. The hands are white. With those few exceptions it's a great watch.
on May 2, 2017
1st time GShock owner here, and I gotta say this watch is awesome looking! It feels nice on my wrist not heavy at all for the size of it. I really wanted something nice not expensive and somewhat minimal look but sharp; This met all my expectations. I looked into smart watches but I didn't want to charge something daily (already do that with the phone), pay $100's and be worry I damage it, plus smart watches really are just an extension of your phone for somethings dont really care for them.
People complain that they cant see the time that's true to a degree, it is very dark but I can read the numbers fine. If you tilt it towards the light you can see them fine but i think it adds to the black look even more so I don't mind it. I think it would be better if the light instead of being on top like that, that the LCD portion would illuminate.
review imagereview image
on October 3, 2017
I have an extensive watch collection with many high end watches. I rotate and wear a lot of them. For some reason I favor this watch over other more expensive watches (Luminox, Citizen Navyhawk, Suunto). I finish is smooth and soft, the hands are super easy to read. I like the clean all black look on the face. The functions are similar to any G-Shock so you have your basic tools if you need them.

The light is a complaint of a lot of people because it only highlights enough to catch the time on the hands, not enough to see the digital readout, but if you are truly going for a stealth watch (not sure why you would want to unless you are in the military or law enforcement) you would want the light to be minimal, not a blinding beam that highlights the entire face.

I have other atomic solar G shocks that probably function a little better overall, or if you ever needed one watch that never needed batteries would be a better choice, but for everything this watch it, I love it and have been wearing it every day, it is too sharp to keep in the watch case.
on January 3, 2016
Bought this for an extended camping trip. It has taken plenty of punishment in the elements and beatings from throwing ruck sacks on and off, being banged against trees and everything else. The world clock function came in very handy for easily keeping track of both my current location time and home time. The hour and minute hands are easy to see with minimal light because they are slightly reflective. The backlight is subtle which I liked because I didn't want to attract attention. I also really like to easily see the day, date and seconds all at once.

The only cons are it is a bit bulky, which makes throwing a heavy ruck on tricky when the shoulder straps gets caught up on the watch or when wearing gloves or tighter long sleeves and you need to pull them back to check the watch. I really wanted a vibration alarm as well but couldn't find one in a style I liked. If this had one it would have been great.
on November 15, 2017
This is an accurate timepiece with easy to read analog hands. However, if you need it for date, stopwatch or other functions, the analog-digital combo doesn’t work out. The date is blocked at some points, the stopwatch part is at others. It’s hard to read the negative display in some lighting. The LED light is almost pointless, although you can kind’ve see the watch hands but not the daigital displays at all. Also found it a little too large on my 8.25” wrist as well. Luckily amazon has an easy return process.
on January 11, 2015
Love this watch!!! Looks great and light weight
review image
22 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Petson September 19, 2017
This watch is just how it looks - except for the back of the watch. I was hoping it was plain just like pictured (because I wanted to engrave a message) but there is writing on it (gshock, ect.). Also the band is a little different than most watches. But I got this as a gift for my boyfriend and he loves it - says it is perfect for work where he is active all the time. He says all features work and the light is perfect for him.
on November 2, 2016
First let me say I am 100% dedicated to the g-shock line of watches. They're rugged, stylish and incredibly reliable. That said, there two things that are issues for me with this watch: visibility and the background "light". Specifically, I can't read the digital display to save my life. I've tried and just given up. As for the orange display "light" - I say "light" because it's really not a light in the sense that it shows anything, just faintly shows the digital display in the dark. Long story short, it's a sweet looking watch and the analog display is accurate, but don't buy this thing if you don't have night vision... .Go with one of the other models instead.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.