Spring Deals Automotive HPC Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on January 5, 2017
My demands were fairly easy, I thought: I wanted an analog watch with a calendar, an alarm, and a light. The watch would have to hold up to rugged use. My demands were far too simple to actually exist, however. As it turns out, the fewer "additions" you want on your watch, the more you pay. Universally.

I do not need or want the time zones of 85 different places on Earth. I do not need to calculate the drag/use ratio of jet fuel in a plane. I will never be more than 600 feet deep in the water, and I do not need an LED headlight on my watch that would blind the Mars rover from Earth. I did not want or need a digital display. These things, however, seem to be included in almost every G-Shock watch. This is my third G-Shock so I know it is going to survive the beating it is going to take on my wrist.

The white hands in this watch stand out brightly against the dark background. As to the illumination, this is one of the brightest lights I have seen on a G-Shock; its an orange light generated from the bottom. You cannot see the digital display when the light is on. Maybe that is a drawback to you, but I'm good with it.

The only thing I wish G-Shock would do universally is to include glow in the dark tips on the analog hands as they do on the G100-1BV model (this was my second G-Shock, and had it been just a little bigger I would have bought it again. That model is about 3/4 the size of this one). This watch advertises "afterglow," but that doesn't help when I want to see my watch hands in the dark a few hours after I turn off the lights.

Overall this is a very nice watch for the price and I would highly recommend it.
on January 18, 2016
I got this as a gift for a fellow police officer who works night... Let me say this, it has been a trooper through some of the things it's been submitted to already. The "too dim" issue that some people speak of is actually a bonus for him. You can't have a watch that's going to light up and entire room if you bump into a wall after clearing a building- that'd be a HUGE issue. I have a Casio watch myself and have been contemplating transitioning to this one due to how effective it has been.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2017
G-Shock watches are great timepieces, especially if you are in a job where you tend to beat and bang on stuff...such as construction, warehousing, etc;. They hold up very well to abuse because of the case wrapping around the watch. This is my second, the other lasted a long time, and I would still have it, but I wore out the band and decided to purchase a new one. With the price at a very reasonable level, I chose this one. For those of you mentioning the size, it is larger...but not as large as some. The trend seems to be leaning towards this size now than what I would call a normal watch size. While this is sort of a ' black-out ' watch make no mistake it is not...simply because if you were trying to move about in a stealthy manner and you didn't want your position revealed, this watch won't cut it. The face is extremely reflective and with light shining on it...you might as well be carrying a flashlight. Having said that, it is hard to read the digital part EXCEPT in light...in other words it is very dark without direct light on the face or using the internal light which is a amber color. The hands are white. With those few exceptions it's a great watch.
on October 3, 2015
This is a great watch at a great price. It has an extensive amount of capabilities. The only downer is that the light doesn't shine on the digital portion of the watch. However, all you need is to know how to read an analog watch and you'd be fine. That fact takes away extremely little of the watches pure awesomeness.
review imagereview imagereview image
on October 3, 2017
I have an extensive watch collection with many high end watches. I rotate and wear a lot of them. For some reason I favor this watch over other more expensive watches (Luminox, Citizen Navyhawk, Suunto). I finish is smooth and soft, the hands are super easy to read. I like the clean all black look on the face. The functions are similar to any G-Shock so you have your basic tools if you need them.

The light is a complaint of a lot of people because it only highlights enough to catch the time on the hands, not enough to see the digital readout, but if you are truly going for a stealth watch (not sure why you would want to unless you are in the military or law enforcement) you would want the light to be minimal, not a blinding beam that highlights the entire face.

I have other atomic solar G shocks that probably function a little better overall, or if you ever needed one watch that never needed batteries would be a better choice, but for everything this watch it, I love it and have been wearing it every day, it is too sharp to keep in the watch case.
on May 2, 2017
1st time GShock owner here, and I gotta say this watch is awesome looking! It feels nice on my wrist not heavy at all for the size of it. I really wanted something nice not expensive and somewhat minimal look but sharp; This met all my expectations. I looked into smart watches but I didn't want to charge something daily (already do that with the phone), pay $100's and be worry I damage it, plus smart watches really are just an extension of your phone for somethings dont really care for them.
People complain that they cant see the time that's true to a degree, it is very dark but I can read the numbers fine. If you tilt it towards the light you can see them fine but i think it adds to the black look even more so I don't mind it. I think it would be better if the light instead of being on top like that, that the LCD portion would illuminate.
review imagereview image
on November 2, 2016
First let me say I am 100% dedicated to the g-shock line of watches. They're rugged, stylish and incredibly reliable. That said, there two things that are issues for me with this watch: visibility and the background "light". Specifically, I can't read the digital display to save my life. I've tried and just given up. As for the orange display "light" - I say "light" because it's really not a light in the sense that it shows anything, just faintly shows the digital display in the dark. Long story short, it's a sweet looking watch and the analog display is accurate, but don't buy this thing if you don't have night vision... .Go with one of the other models instead.
on November 7, 2017
I got mad at my 5th Ironman, so I tried this. The analog is great if that's what you miss in a digital world, and I do. White hands on black are real easy to read even in low light. The digital readout is only visible in direct light, and even then, once an hour it is not due to the hands covering them up. The timer can only be set for minute increments, not seconds. This is pretty lame for a sports watch. The night light is good for the hands, useless for the digital readouts. The alarms are quiet (I've slept through them), and cannot be set for individual days, weekdays, or weekends, unlike the Ironman. For me, the 24 world times are a useless novelty that has to use up a ton of computing space. It's a sports watch, not a jet setters business dress watch. The band is good and sturdy, and doesn't come undone constantly like the Ironman does. The tach needle is another useless novelty for me. The watch itself is bigger, but just as light or lighter than an Ironman, very comfortable on the wrist, and it doesn't shift around. In summary, it's not better than an Ironman, but it is different. If I could combine the two, I'd have what I need. From my research, this is the best, and cheapest Casio option in the G Shock range. I love the blacked out design, the analog function, and the timers work well enough for me, but I use them constantly all through the day. But when this one poops out, I'll be looking for another kind that's exactly what I need. Another minus for Casio's is that they are heavily (and very craftily) bootlegged--my first was an indistinguishable boot that crapped out after a week. I was real lucky and got a refund from the seller. Only buy from dealers on Amazon that are recognized by Casio.
on July 24, 2017
I have read some reviews regarding this watch, but one review, in particular, influenced my decision to purchase the watch -- that being to overlook criticisms of not being able to read the digital date and time due to being either too small or too dark. The bright white hands make the time very visible, even under low-light conditions. Because the 'minute-second' markings are subdued, it difficult to see the minute-second markings or use the various digital features programmed into this watch in low-light conditions. The major plusses? I love the bright hands, easy time setting, plus, Casio's durable "G-Shock "™ quality and reliable accuracy. The "icing on the cake" is that this watch is light weight and stays in place on my wrist, rather than tries to roll away from me, as do other watches, especially, the heavier brands and models.

My review supports a featured contributor who replied that the dark face was a minor issue, simply because, We CAN read the digital display without any problem in certain lighting, such as fluorescent-type. The type of lighting you're under, when viewing, will play a major factor regarding the visibility of the digital window data. Another point, the broad hands sometimes get in the way when observing the digital windows, making it difficult to rely on the available data and/or programmed features. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the broad bright visible hand design on this watch, but I'm just saying there is a "trade-off that each prospective owner should consider.

Recapping, I would say the basis of a purchaser's decision to purchase this watch is going to depend on the frequency-priority of viewing the digital display. If you need constant assurance about what day it is, or if you want to constantly read the digital display features, I say buy a digital watch and save yourself the frustration. If you're on the go, such as a delivery person, or doing housework, subject to occasional rough conditions and you want to frequently glance at the time with "no-nonsense" reliability, I highly recommend considering this model. The watch has a stealthy look which I think is simplistically attractive in our modern times.

One more plus is the fact that you set the time, digitally, first, and the analog hands will respond to the digital setting. Love it! You don't have to mess with trying to match the separate times of the analogue-digital displays.

Would I buy this watch, again? To be 'punny', "In a second"!
on August 6, 2017
Don't know which I now love
more, my Rescue GShock,
or this dark horse beauty!
It's gothic as can be,
sleek, tough, aviator-styled,
and basically a one-setting
world time setup, it's a
fully automated dig.-analog
Only complaint is yes,
the light does not really
illuminate the digital
I believe. If you're a
nightclub DJ, this is
NOT the watch for you!
But it is a fabulously
attractive, simple to use, yet
and durable watch.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.