Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's G2310R-1
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Price:$65.50 - $153.37

on August 5, 2012
Owner's manual says the battery charge will last up to 11 months. I've had it since Father's Day 2012 and haven't run down the battery yet. We'll see what happens in the winter time when there's less sun and I wear long sleeves. It has a power saving mode which shuts down some functions when there is low light and the watch is not being used (like every night at bedtime.) I have to wake the watch up every morning, by tilting it to 40 degrees or pushing any button.

Functions seemed complicated at first, but if you gradually read the owner's manual a bit at a time it's all pretty easy to remember. I use the stopwatch and the countdown timer every day. Countdown timer can only be set to 1 minute intervals, though, so no 30 second interval workouts. But overall it makes a great sports watch. I have the auto-lighting function turned on, and the hourly beeper turned on, and the audible beeps function turned on, as well as using several of the alarms on certain days.

Auto-electroluminescence feature (automatically turns on the light when you tilt the watch 40 degrees towards your face) is not supposed to come on unless it is dark, but this light comes on even when it is not really needed--in all but the brightest direct sunlight. Doesn't run down the charge, though.

water resistance seals are holding up good to every other day pool swimming (You're not supposed to push buttons while the watch is submerged, so I don't) and profuse sweat from hard cardio workouts everyday.

color doesn't seem to be fading yet. and the band isn't cracking or creased, either. The band is a little stiff though. It also has very closely spaced holes for just the right tightness.

Haven't really tested the scratch resistance yet because the watch is so bulky that the sides and rim protect the glass. I've been wearing it for remodeling work about 4 days per week. Has a lot of edges that trap dirt and dust, but cleans up easily.

Has preset time in several different cities, so you can wear it straight out of the box without too much programming. After you get the watch features all set up like you want them the World Cities function becomes pretty useless unless you travel a lot.

Overall, I love this watch, and I expect it (and the rechargeable battery) to last a long, long time.

update Nov, 2012:
watch gets significantly less light in the winter when wearing long sleeves more often, and spending less time outdoors. Battery actually went to "LOW" level. had to purposely hang it near a light bulb, but putting it in the sun recharges much faster.
on October 3, 2011
Initially I purchased this watch so it would be easier to read at night & as I discovered it is not only easier to read, but it is full of features & almost as light as my analog titanium Seiko. The solar battery keeps my G2310 powered all the time, hibernates to conserve energy, & powers up with the first light source it comes in contact with. I'm still learning the rest of the features but includes 31 time zones in 48 cities around the world, stopwatch, bright back light, & smaller profile, to mention a few. All the functions are listed in the Amazon description. Worth much more than the selling price. Highly recommended!
on August 3, 2012
I received this watch as a gift in 2004 prior to heading out to USMC boot camp. 8 years, 4 deployments, and numerous field exercises this watch stood strong. I bashed it so hard at times I looked down expecting it to be cracked, to my surprise not a scratch. I didn't have to replace the battery until around the 6 year mark so clearly they are downplaying it's actual life expectancy. The features are great, it's easy to read and most importantly, easy to operate (grunt proof at least). I had to replace the band once but I put it through hell and we'll chalk that up as my fault. Dependable and durable are the first words that come to mind when describing this watch. Sadly last month it vanished thanks to some sketchy housekeeping at a holiday in express so I need to replace it.
on July 18, 2010
Got this watch to use for work and my job is a builder so it's gonna get bashed about and scruffy had it over a month now and not one scratch on the screen. i tested the screen out on a saw blade the saw lost. If you're looking for a watch for durability this is the one for you. Carry on the ggod work G-Shock
on October 8, 2012
I was seeking a cool, chunky sports watch and had a hard time making my mind up on which Casio. Not 1 single watch did everything I wanted, so I decided the solar and EL illumination were my top "must haves". I like the watch fine, but am not in love. Considered returning for a tide feature watch, or something "fancier", but am keeping it. It is big and chunky, which I wanted. The EL face illumination feature is nice when I ride my bike in pre-dawn hours, and the potential of never needing a new battery is very appealing. Not sexy, but cool enough.
on December 9, 2012
This watch seems much thicker than 11mm- it sits off my wrist about an inch. It's huge, chunky in a masculine way, and not dressy, but it does not seem to draw attention, either. I bought it for two things: to never replace a battery, and for toughness. I had a plain Casio (not a chrono nor a G-force) for years; the plastic band (similar to this one) finally broke. It was nearly impossible to replace. The watch continued to run on its original battery for about 10 years. I don't bother replacing batteries anymore, since every time I've had it done, the watch (regardless of brand or price) has died thereafter. I also have some weird electro-thing going on on my arm, so that many watches go bonkers after a while. So I got an expensive name sun powered watch; it looked good; all was great until my wife knocked it off the table where it was charging with sunlight. Bye-bye watch!

So I still wanted solar power, but I wanted a tough S.O.B. This one seems to fit the bill. I notice that unlike that other watch, the glass face is protected all around it, instead of the glass sitting on top of the watch. Buttons on some watches have failed, or were activated accidentally while wearing the watch-- these buttons seem heavy duty and well protected. Also, this one has power saving features the other solar did not, and supposedly runs 11 months straight on a full charge (like if it is in a drawer for months at a time), so I don't anticipate having to charge it up, a problem with the other one. I did not want a kinetic watch, since the generator on those runs at many thousands of RPM's- that sounds like mechanical maintenance to me.

I'll use my gold Swiss pocket watch for dress, and this Casio for everyday. It has every feature that you'll really need. The instruction booklet is very complex and intimidating-- it took several tries over several days to set the watch, because I didn't realize that it has one setting to cycle through all time zones when you're traveling, and a regular read setting for just your time zone, so both may have to be set. I noticed that Casio customer service was eager and fairly quick to reply- although by then I had it figured out. Now that I understand it, it's no worse than any other.

The other solar watches I found were at least 50% more expensive than this one, and probably more delicate. This is a good value at retail, and even better if you get it on sale. The movement is still Japanese, not Chinese as on so many more watches today.
on May 1, 2015
I bought one of these watches back in 2000. Used it in all conditions for 15 years. It never left my wrist. I had it in the surf, on building/construction sites, used it working on cars and the list goes on. I threw just about every bad scenario at this watch. What destroyed it was all the welding I started doing about a year ago. Just recently the crystal glass got that bad where I couldnt see the face anymore. Unfortunately the splatter embeds itself into the crystal glass and you cant fix it after that. The case became a bit faded but that probably from all the chemicals Ive worked with over time. The solar didnt let me down for 15 years. The rechargeable battery lasted the test of time. The watch strap/band was replaced ones during the watches life but the replacement wasnt the best quality and Id say wouldve broken soon anyways. The new aftermarket wrist band was about 9 months old. The watch still operates as Im typing this but unfortunately I cant find a replacement glass for it. the watch is still charging through all the damaged glass. Its the best watch Ive ever owned. Casio out did themselves when they designed and built this watch. I believe it is the watch the American military used back then and it was designed for a purpose of use. Ruggedness and precision. A test was done to test the strength of the watch and some other items. The items were dropped from a helicopter at a height of 40 meters onto a solid concrete surface and it was the only item that came out unscathed and didnt miss a beat. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I have now upgraded to a Casio Men's G-Shock GA100CS-9A Watch - Yellow but this one doesnt have tough solar which is disappointing. I hope this watch will last the test of time as well. I will let everyone know in 15 years time.... LOL....
I recommend this watch to all and I will miss my 2000 model. G-shock is the way to go.
on May 17, 2015
For nearly 5 decades I've been a dedicated Timex customer because of the reliability and longevity I once remember Timex watches having from my childhood. However, over the past 2 decades I've not been satisfied with the mediocre performance of Timex watches that I've had to repeatedly replace in only a year or two of use due to durability failures. Now I've purchased my first Casio watch and have had it for a few weeks, and I wish I converted over to Casio long before now.

I'm not a big boned individual with large wrists, and this watch fits me wonderfully without being obtrusively large.

The mineral crystal is crystal clear. Significantly clearer than the resin crystals used in several other watch brands.

Additionally, the buttons are recessed nicely to prevent accidental button pushes when bending sharply at the wrist. Another frequent annoyance I've noticed with my now unreliable Timex watches.

As I stand now, it appears Timex has permanently lost one of there customers to Casio.

Update: I've now had this watch for four months. I still like it far more than any watch I've owned. The crystal is crystal clear, and it almost does everything it claims. The only thing I have a little disappointment with is in regards to self charging. I've learned the watch doesn't charge fast enough on its own while wearing it, and I've had to put the watch directly under a bright light for several nights in order for it to recharge to full after reaching the low power indicator. If the grid were to go down in a shtf moment, I'm not convinced this watch would survive without going dead in time. I pray I will never have to find out with that theory.

6 month update: Every part of this watch works wonderfully except for the battery. Now, after 6 months, the battery clearly isn't maintaining a charge. After charging the watch to full power under a light for several nights, if I wear it without additional light source intervention to charge the watch the watch goes completely dead in about 6 weeks. I'm now exploring my options.

8 month update: The battery now will not charge past 50% even after being left 6" under a 100 watt light for 2 weeks, and when I wear it the battery only lasts a couple weeks at best. I will now look into getting a replacement battery and let you know how it goes.

1 year update: Everything the watch does, it still does wonderfully except charging. It will not charge past 50%. I've turned off the auto illumination feature and the charge does last a little longer with it turned off, but it only allows the battery to last a few weeks longer at most before going dead. I've looked into and considered getting a new battery for it, but I've learned they aren't cheap. I've contacted Casio about 6 months ago regarding the issue and they responded back by asking me to send them the watch (at my total expense) with a prepaid return label, and if they find it is faulty they will repair it and send it back at no additional cost. However, if they find it faulty but feel it's due to operator error, they will repair it for an additional cost. This may be where my biggest disappointment rests in that Casio was unwilling to back up their product without presenting strings attached that it's at their discretion. The watch was purchased new by me, it wasn't abused in any manner nor was it exposed to high temperatures from lights or sunlight, however, in my opinion they were unwilling to do what was necessary to repair the watch in a manner that's comfortable and cost free for the consumer.
Sending them the watch in their requested manner with a return label will cost me the same, if not slightly more, than if I were to simply purchase a new rechargeable battery for the watch (which is difficult to locate and Casio elusively avoided providing me with any details as to where I can get one despite my direct question), and if they make other repairs it may cost me more than it would for me to purchase an entirely new watch. All in all, I like the watch a lot, but when the battery goes dead for good I doubt I will get another rechargeable watch like this one. Bottom line, a solar watch that doesn't maintain charge isn't much of a watch.
on June 10, 2016
I received this watch today. I set it put it on perfect size. I have the gw2310-1. Solar Atomic. So l decided to get this one because l like the chrome around the crystal and where it says gshock it's in red. Nice color contrast. I payed $65.00 for this one.The Solar Atomic was $ 90.00 at the time l bought it. Same size watch. Same size band. I love them both. If I had to take only one. I would take this one and save the $25.00. So if your thinking about go for it Well worth the price. I been wearing gshocks for 33 years. I had the first one to hit the market in 1983. I now have 17 gshocks including the Rangeman. The King Gxw56-1bjf gshock. The Solar Atomic Gulfman. 2 mudmans. The dw5600e-1v that I wear to work everyday. I have to many different types to mention. But for the price you won't get a better looking durable watch. So take it from a gshock collector. This is a great buy. Buy it you won't be sorry. .
review image
on May 25, 2015
CASIO IMHO is the world's best timepiece manufacturer for "everyone" with a focus on people living active life styles. I love my new CASIO. It has all of the time zones, alarms, and other features one expects from one of their watches. AND I haven't run over it with a D-9 CAT but I am confident that it is really G SHOCK rugged. Wish all those pricey cell phones were even half as rugged. It's solar powered so if AMAZON asks me about it in five years I expect to say, it's still running perfectly and no (new) battery needed.
I have one tiny caution for potential purchasers. This watch has a band that JUST gets around my meaty wrist. Some CASIO's actually come with a second band piece that's longer than standard. If you are "large wristed' look through the CASIO offerings either for just the accessory longer piece or for a watch that comes with two, one a bit longer. I weigh about 250lbs, so I am not delicate (smiling).