Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Casio Men's PAG240B-2CR "Pathfinder" Sport Watch with Black Leather and Blue Cloth Band
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on November 9, 2011
Well after using the Casio PAG240B-2CR Pathfinder for one month now I am pleased to say I am thrilled to have purchased it. It's all sweet. It arrived a few days after I ordered it traveling with UPS from Kentucky to Anchorage Alaska then across the Arctic to me in Western Japan. Was heaps of fun tracking it too. What an amazing trip and how fitting for an adventure watch. It came in box packed with airbags which contained another box which contained a wooden box which contained the watch. Now the lid to this box lifts up and doesn't slide out. I have doubts about my IQ now. Should have got a crow to open it for me. Just added to anticipation though. What really struck me on first viewing the watch was how beautiful it is. I really like the shades of purple and indigo blue that are used in the case and band respectively. It really has a subtle, understated look almost elegant one could say if that's possible for an adventure watch. Putting the watch on, it feels very light like it is not even there. The strap is very thick and sturdy and is still like new after one month of use. Out of the box the watch was fully charged but I put it in the sunlight for an hour anyway just to stare it at and give it some sun because if had just flown over the North Pole.
Setting up the watch is very easy. Just a matter of changing your home city if required and inputting your latitude and longitude in full degree increments.This is required for the sunrise and sunset data. If you are lucky you live near full degrees and so will have sunrise sunset data accurate to the minute. If you live at 30mins for example especially in longitude it maybe a 2 or 3 minutes in time off. I live at 50mins in both latitude and longitude and its only 1 minute in time off. I like photography so this data is essential for me plus it helps to know how much light I have left in the day when hiking and cycling.
Now the 4 important functions. The barometric pressure is very accurate and it's great to have the graph in time mode on the face as well by default. Obviously its always ahead of data given on the news or net because the watch is giving real time information. The compass is spot on. Love the dual LCD indicators and the way they move when u do a twirl. Lots of fun. Compared it to my other 2 compasses and to maps and the compass diagram on top of my local mountain and replicates it perfectly. Temperature readout will be affected by ones body heat but if you take the watch off for 10 minutes or so the reading is extremely accurate. Ok the altimeter. It's very accurate as well but you have to manage it. It calculates its readings based on temperature and pressure changes. The day to night temperature cycle or barometric pressure fluctuations can give inaccurate measurement if the watch is just left in the draw for a few days. What you need to do is calibrate it at the beginning of each day or trip. I took a park next door off Google Earth at 25m and calibrated the altimeter by going to the altimeter function then holding adjust then setting the reference height. Very easy. I then climbed 5 peaks ranging from 200-600m in height. It was 97 percent accurate on all of them giving a slightly lower reading each time. So I went to the same park again and calibrated to 30m. Again 97 percent accurate with readings this time slightly above those stated on topographic maps. So I fine tuned it by going back to the park and then either going slightly higher and inputting 30m or going to a slightly lower point and inputting 25m because the watch gives altitude data in 5m increments. Guess what. The 213m peak was shown by the watch to be 210m and if I put my arm in the air 215m. The 622m peak was shown the 620m if I sat on the bench and 625m if I stood on the bench and did a jig. Can't get more accurate than that. Also if you are hiking through points which have stated heights you can calibrate on the fly. What I would really love to do one day is ride in a hot air balloon and watch the altimeter on my watch go up and up. Forget about the view.
In summary I am completely satisfied with this watch. It looks good, it feels good, it's easy to set up and use and it's extremely accurate. It's really bringing out the artist, athlete, adventurer, explorer and the geek in me all at once. For those that want the macho adventure look there is a twin model in the series with 2 orange buttons and for those that want to fully geek out there are models above with atomic time also which my model doesn't have and I do not miss at all.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
I've owned several watches from the 1500 Pathfinder series, along with G-Shocks's, Citizen and Tissot watches. I decided to update my watch collection with a new Pathfinder. Now I had looked at the 2000/5000 series but I didn't like the display on either, so I waited. I came across the PAG-240 one day and started researching it since then. Was a bit difficult finding information on this new watch since it was just released but I decided to pull the trigger on it anyways.

At first, I was a bit leery because this watch didn't have an atomic function but decided, how hard was it to sync it up with one of my other atomic watches once a month? So I bought it and was pleasantly surprised. First, I love the sunrise/sunset (after setting it to the right area) feature. The moon/tide feature on the previous Pathy's didn't really benefit me. I like the dual LCD which is designed for the compass. The temp gauge is better than the previous models as well. It adjusts quite quickly once removed from your wrist (your body heat will affect the temp reading). Another simple but nice added feature is the duration of the light. In previous models, you had just one second but with this watch it lets you choose LT1 or LT3 (one or three seconds) as the duration.

One gripe about this watch is the band. It's half cloth, half leather. But like anything I resolve problems, so I replaced it with another band from one of my previous Pathy's. Problem solved.

I camp and hike a lot and I wanted a watch that's very durable. I also dive as well and watched a watch for it's water resistance. Now typically, I'd go for a watch that had 200M WR but these (and the G's) are made so well, I don't have much to worry about. I actually did a few tests and opened up one of my previous Pathy's, removed the "O" ring and closed it back up. Threw it in a tub of water for 2 days. Was fine. Opened up the watch, took out the module and dumped it in water, the screen faded out but once I took it out of the water, it was fine! I did this about 5 times with the module. Now don't go dunking your opened watch in a tub of water but it just goes to show that the Casio watches are very robust and well made.

You can't go wrong with this watch that's designed to replace both the 40/200 series of the Pathfinder series.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2011
Hey guys, thought I would type up what I have found so far:

I am 6' 3" tall and weigh just under 205 lbs. I have become a dedicated runner and enjoy just about everything about the outdoors.

Initial Thoughts:

Accuracy:
Out of the box, the compass was DEAD ON - checked this with my Suunto compass and my Garmin GPS, and it has not been off more than 1 degree, that is pretty impressive.

The temperature sensor also dead on, compared with three home thermometers, again less than 1 degree of difference, actually the protrek's temp was SPOT ON as far as the more accurate thermometer: (off wrist as per instructions)

Altimeter - unknown because I live in FL, I could say it matched where I am perfectly but no heights around here guys sorry :(

Barometer - this is my FAVORITE feature of the watch, predicted two storms in as many days, that was really cool.

Quality on this is pretty stellar, I am REALLY picky on my gear and so far, I am really impressed. Use it running, in shower, you name it and it really does it job.

Weight on this is close to nil, I was worried about this looking at the pics but it is honestly weightless on your wrist, no really :)

Menus are much easier than I expected and access to them MUCH easier than Suunto watch :P

Initially at least I REALLY am impressed with this watch.

CONS: A lot of folks talk about how they like this band (like fake leather and cloth) It is ok, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and this won't cut it :( - Is ok but I will prob replace it in the near future.

I think that is all for now, I would have to give the opinion that if you are interested I would give it a go. Watch is fine for small to larger men, and maybe some women with larger wrists. Pretty Happy, thanks Casio :)
on January 27, 2011
Exactly what I wanted & more (much more to learn from the compact instruction manual, but not necessary at his point). Handsome, not as big as I feared, hardy (already taken a few knocks)& works as promised. I researched this rather well, comparing what I needed/wanted. Reasonably accurate measurements/readings out of the box for me once I programmed my geo info (latitude/longitude). Have traveled up & down highways, trails, mountains, hills (not in water yet), from -30ft - 8900ft, from storms to sun, compass settings good enough for me. I talk to people in different time zones & the world time function really helps me be aware of their circumstances (especially India w/the half hour differences)Looking forward to understanding subtleties of memory for compass/barometer/altitude readings. I like the Solar battery & it's efficiency (turns face off at night, reclaims itself on movement/light in morning. I didn't want nor need atomic time synch because of my location (hard to get any radio transmission) & for the fact of the accuracy of the timepiece itself (30 secs/month? I can deal with that for the $30-$60 difference). I also enjoy the color blue, which this model comes in a dark blue, as well as a cloth/leather combo band (I do not like most plastic/vinyl/rubber versions). I'm happy with it, it's practical & not complicated once you read the instructions & it adds to my experience of Joy outside as well as inside.
on August 16, 2014
I like my PAG240B.

The PAG240 is an upgrade of the PAG40. It’s an ABC watch (altitude, barometer, compass). Many reviews call it a mid-level ABC, but in I think it is the lowest priced ABC Casio offers (and I think the best bang for the buck).

In addition to the ABC features, this watch also measures temperature.

The features the PAG240B lacks over the other more expensive Casio Pro Trek watches are: Atomic (self setting via radio), tide, and moon phase. All are features I don’t need in an ABC watch.

You could pay a lot for a Pro Trek which has exactly the same features, having only the addition of the atomic function.

The PAG240 models have a 24 hr stopwatch, which is the minimum I would think those interested in an ABC watch would require. For example, if you were timing how long it took you to hike a long trail, or your door-to-door time in world travel, 60 minutes won’t do. A lot of the more expensive models only have a 60 minute stopwatch.

There are several models of the PAG240, differing only in color and wrist band. The PAG240B is dark blue, with a high contrast screen, and has a dark blue nylon band.

I prefer the nylon band for a outdoor watch, on account that it won’t scuff like a rubber band or resin band will. It also won’t break. That’s a big plus.

A typical nylon band suffers the disadvantage that if you sweat, it will get into the weave and eventually smell. That can be easily remedied by washing it with soap and water. However, the inside of this nylon band has a faux leather lining. Therefore it won’t get nearly as much sweat into the nylon weave as a typical nylon band (such as Free Style). I have never had this band smell.

The faux leather did eventually start to come up on the edges. I glued it back with contact cement. There are NATO bands on eBay that I have seen photos of people using if you eventually want to replace the nylon band. However, you’d need to save the pieces on your nylon band that attach to the watch and fit the NATO band into those.

I’ve had my PAG240 for about two years, and so far, have not replaced the original nylon band.

Comparison to the Suunto Core

Those of your considering a Casio PAG240 should also look at the Suunto Core (which also come in various colors and with various bands).
My fundamental concerns with the Core is:

Its not solar (to be discussed later).
Many early reviews reported significant quality control problems. I don’t know if that has been resolved, but it is something to be aware of.
Cost. Depending upon which models you compare, there can be a $100 difference between the PAG240’s and the Core’s.

The two models have very similar specifications. But the Core appears to have more user functions. It has more logging functions, more alarm functions (e.g., bad weather alarm), can measure depth under water up to 10 m, and has a finer resolution on the altimeter (1 m instead of 5 m).

Given the above, I think the real advantage to the Core is appearance. Its a stunning looking watch. You could wear it to business meetings or to a nice restaurant, whereas the PAG240 is unabashedly an outdoor watch. It looks like something an Eagle Scout might wear, and if formal appearance is something you care about, probably not the watch you would wear to the opera.

The Core altimeter measures in 1 meter increments, whereas the Casio is in 5 meter increments (you can set it to feet). Some reviewers therefore say the Core is more accurate than the Casio.

Comparing these watches, there are two advantages to the Casio that I see, and one to the Core.

The PAG240 is solar, whereas the Core runs on replaceable batteries (to be discussed later).
The Casio is less expensive. Using the REI website as an example, the PAG240B can be $100 less than the Core, depending upon which model you compare it to.

The Casio Pro Trek line (Pathfinder) and the Casio G-Shock line are very different. G-Shock has, for lack of a better term, an appeal to urban youth fashion. G-Shocks come in different colors, have layered 3D-like faces, negative LCD displays, and graphics.

The Pro Trek’s appeal is in the functionality. You’re not going to win a fashion contest with a Pro Trek.

To get a feel for the user interface on this watch and what the various screens look like, I recommend you watch YouTube reviews of it.

This watch is solar, and that’s very handy (to be discussed later).

Comment on Solar

The advantage to solar is that your watch won’t die at an inopportune moment. ABC watches in particular consume a lot of power. I’ve read batteries in the Core last a little over a year. The older non-solar Casio PAG40 manual listed its battery life as 18 months.

The Core battery is easy to change, and you can preemptively change your batteries before you go on a big hiking excursion or overseas trip (which is the application I bought the watch for), but that’s one more thing you have to remember to do. Cost is not an issue - batteries are cheap. It’s the inconvenience of being without a watch when you need one that makes solar advantageous.

To put it in perspective, suppose you were on a tour in Europe where there are tightly scheduled activities every day. If your watch dies, you either have to buy another watch, go without, or spend half a day looking for batteries, which means you might miss one of the activities that you paid for. Watch batteries dying on a trip are not common, but I’ve seen it happen more than once.

For travel, I highly recommend a solar watch. Casio makes a host of solar watches. So does Citizen (their Eco Drive line).

If you’re thinking of buying a used solar watch on eBay, there is something you should be aware of. Some solar watches (though none of mine - and I own several) have been reported not to hold a charge. I leave mine in bay window, but not in direct sunlight.

I have seen pictures of used solar watches on eBay (e.g., the Casio GW2500) whose charging indicator shows M. That’s “medium”. I saw a used PAG240B that showed M. That could indicate the watch is not holding a charge. I’d recommend not buying a used solar watch if the picture shows the charging anything less than H (high).

I know a guy who has a Citizen Eco Drive that has been running over ten years. I know of a guy that has a solar Swatch that has been running over twenty-five years. I expect my solar Casios to run upwards of thirty years. But if you get one and have reason to believe the battery is not holding a charge like it should, return it and have the re-chargeable battery replaced. I’ve never met anyone who has had this problem, but you will read an occasional rare blog where that seems to have happened.

Accuracy

My PAG240B keeps unusually good time. Initially it lost about one second every ten days. After about six months it begain to gain one second a week. That’s exceptional. My three other G-Shocks gain about 15 sec/month. The PAG240B is listed at +/- 15 s/mo, but does far better than that. I’ve read other reviews that say the same. I have read reports that the accuracy of the Core is not particularly good.

Minor comment on setting the PAG240B seconds:

After ten days, when my watch is 1 second behind, I reset it. To do this, I put it in the set mode (seconds flashing), wait until the 59 comes up, and reset. What I’d like to point out, is that even though I do this at 59 seconds, the minute still rolls over.

So if the reading is 5 minutes and 59 seconds. And I reset the seconds. It will jump to 6 minutes and 00 seconds - which is exactly what I want.

That’s a nice little feature.

Casios Will Scratch

Casio advertises their watches as “tough”. In particular, that is the motto of the G-Shock line.

While it is true they are very shock resistant (versus a mechanical windup type watch), and they are very waterproof, one thing they are not “tough” about is that they scratch easily. This is because they are made of plastic.

This watch is definitely larger than average, will bulge out more on your wrist than with your other watches, and therefore is even more vulnerable to your accidentally banging it into things.

Treat a Casio well. Don’t do things like change the oil on your car, or go rock climbing, while wearing any watch, let alone a watch like this. If you have to pick up heavy things (furniture, boxes), take your watch off and put it in your pocket. That’s good “watch hygiene” in general, but particularly important for a Casio.

Eventually you’re going to be doing something like hiking down into the Grand Canyon, slip on some gravel on the trail, put your hand out to break your fall, and lo and behold, your watch is going to be scratched. Its unavoidable. But if you treat it well, you can keep it to a minimum.

Casio advertises the PAG240T as “titanium”. I haven’t examined one in person, but my reading says that only the band on this model is metal. The case and bezel are still resin. Some people like metal link bands, but I don’t think the face of the Titanium model is going to be anymore scratch resistant than any of other PAG240’s.

If you get a model of the PAG240 other than the B or T, they will have a rubber strap (T has a metal link band). When putting the watch on and off, try to keep the resin or rubber strap straight (don’t bend it) when passing it through the buckle. If you bend the band, it will eventually break. Casio bands are often hard to find and expensive.

That’s an advantage to the B, which has a nylon band. It will never break. I will say, the loop that you slide the band into to keep it from flopping, is made of plastic. I wish it were nylon weave. I suspect its possible the loop will break or tear if not treated carefully. I treat mine well, but if it does eventually break or tear, I’ll just make another one out of nylon.

If you get a Casio with a resin or rubber band that you think you are going to keep a long time, it might be worth considering buying an extra band (they are often available on eBay).

ABC Watches are a Supplementary Tool

If your life depends upon a compass, get a good magnetic compass (e.g., Brunton).

If you’re application is traveling in a foreign city where you don’t speak the language, get a hand held GPS (e.g., Garmin eTrex for $100).

I have a $100 GPS, and its great. I mark my hotel before I go out. It doesn’t have street maps, but I can check that the hotel is three miles “that way”. I’ve used it a number of times when I was mildly lost.

And don’t forget this important travel tip; always take a hotel card with you from the hotel desk, so that if you had to hire a taxi to get you back, without speaking the language, you could just show the hotel card to the driver.

If navigation is your application, and you can only afford one item, get the Garmin eTrex ($100), and just wear a less expensive watch. The Garmin should be a higher priority. You can get a solar Casio G2310 for a hundred bucks on Amazon. That and a Garmin eTrex are about the same cost of a PAG240.

Having said that, ease of use counts for a lot. It means you are more likely use it. An ABC watch is on your wrist and always on.

Comment on the Altimeter and Compass

The altimeter is barometric. That’s a good thing. If it were GPS it would consume a lot of power (which means it couldn’t be solar) and would be a lot more expensive.

A barometric altimeter needs to be calibrated, however, when the pressure changes due to weather. A lot of reviewers don’t seem to understand that. Its not a problem. But it means just sitting on your porch, the altitude could show to vary by a hundred feet over the course of the day, if a storm moved through.

This watch has a reasonable altimeter. You just need to know its barometric.

The compass.

One problem with the compass is that I find I have to calibrate it frequently. More frequently than the compass on my Casio Mudman G9300. The good news is that it can be calibrated.

The virtual needle displays only to 16 points on the circle (every 22.5 degrees). But the digital readout is to every degree.

What that means, is that if your watch was pointed at 13 degrees, it would display at NNE (22.5 deg), but read out 13 degrees.

In the above case, I rotate the bezel to about 13 deg in the top position.

That’s not a problem for what I do. Just something you need to know.

Of course you can buy a regular magnetic compass that will do more, and cost a lot less. It just won’t be as convenient, and won’t be as fun.

The Alarm is Weak?

Several reviews have claimed the alarm on this model is unusually quiet.

I have compared the alarm on the PAG240 to two other solar Casio G-Shocks I own (GW5600 & GW7900), and it seems to be the same volume and duration. The countdown timer on the Pro Trek is shorter duration.

HOWEVER, my solar watches have half the duration of my battery powered Casio G9000 Mudman. The G9000 even has a flash alert, which is handy.

Solar powered watches are more stingy with their energy than a conventional battery powered watch.

If this is potentially a big issue to you, I suggest you try to look at the watch in person. REI carries them. I’ve never heard the alarm on a Suunto Core, but I read a review that said the alarm was the same volume as that of the Casio.

I consider the alarm supplementary. If I really need to wakeup, I don’t rely on it. A small $10 quartz travel alarm does the trick.

You Can Download the Watch Manual

The manual is thick. This watch has a lot of features and you won’t remember how to do everything. You can download pdf manuals for free from the Casio website. The pdf is very readable on my Google Nexus. Handy pointer for traveling.

Eyesight and Digital Watches

For a digital watch, either you have to have good eyesight, or you have to wear glasses. I wear progressive lens glasses, and can see the smaller numbers on this watch. If you only wear reading glasses, you’ll find any digital watch frustrating. That’s because you’ll have to pull out your glasses and put them on every time you want to see the face, but particularly for a complex multifunction watch like this.

The regular time display on the PAG240 is substantially larger than on most other Casio watches.

A Couple Cons to the PAG240

- The rotating bezel has deep grooves around it which isn’t obvious in photos. While it rotates smoothy and performs its function well, I would not want to get sand or dirt in the grooves. All rotating bezels have this vulnerability, but this one it would seem in particular. That being said, as of yet, I have gotten no grit in the grooves.

The two buttons, ADJUST & LIGHT, which are side by side, are small and relatively stiff to press. They’re stiff for a good reason. You don’t want to accidentally press Adjust. But I wish the buttons were a little bigger.

The PAG240B is Fun

More than anything else, this watch is fun. That’s the point. Its not a Tricorder, but getting there.

I think this model is the best bang for the buck in the Pro Trek line. Its the lowest priced ACB watch Casio offers, yet has the functionality of the expensive units.

Wearing a watch like this probably makes you look like a geeky tourist. Big deal. You’ll fit right in with the other hikers, birdwatchers, and physically fit travelers.
on September 1, 2011
I have owned several watches over the years from G-Shocks', Citizen, Timex, and Suunto. After being the victim of a home burglary earlier this year, I decided to acquire a Casio Pathfinder or maybe a Casio Pro Trek to replace my PAW1300Y that had been taken. I had looked at the current Pathfinder watches including the PAW2000 and PAW1500 plus I had owned previously a PAW1300Y (inverse screen).

A friend acquired a PAG240 with the metal band so I had a source to turn-to for Q&A. After he & I spoke and I test-drove his watch, I chose this model - PAG240B-2CR.

I gave-up the atomic time synch on my PAW1300Y but that's OK as I saved $$$. It has Casio's TOUGH SOLAR and that should last a good many years and keep the watch accurate. (I have found Casio's TOUGH SOLAR very good, even in cloudy overcast weather conditions for 6-8 months.)

Out of the box, the watch arrived fully-charged. I scanned a ten-page quick-guide for the watch that I downloaded from Casio. I adjusted the time and a few settings; the menus are easy to navigate. The compass was right-on. The barometer and temperature were within a few points (or degrees) of being what our home-based weather station reported. And I like the automatic illumination feature and the extended 3-seconds illumination view. Sunrise / sunset data has good accuracy too. It is not a gimmick or packed with features that do not work. Overall, its a wonderful watch, one I'll be happy with.

I admit this is much more a sporty-looking watch which suits me fine; I actually like the cloth/leather band that many have complained. I can tell this watch is made for me and satisfies my needs today & tomorrow.

I like having a couple quality watches around. I am hopeful Casio will find a way to get the dual-LCD in an inverse (stealth) LCD Pathfinder watch.

Thank you, Casio. And thank you Amazon.Com.
on February 6, 2013
I've owned many a Casio G-Shock and wanted an ABC watch. I read all of the reviews and decided on the PAG240B-2CR Pathfinder. This watch traveled over 42,300 km (26,284 miles) without missing a beat. It was subject to subzero temps right through to mid 40's (104+ F), sand, salt and chlorinated water, and handled flawlessly. I would recommend this watch to anyone.

Pros (Physically):
1. Tough construction;
2. Large Face;
3. Clear information on screen, bezel and buttons;
4. Deep Seated Glass so minimizes scratches/damage;
5. Comfortable wrist band;
6. Great colour scheme; and
7. Is extremely light. I actually couldn't get over how light it was.

Cons (Physically):
1. Whilst not such a big deal for me, some might prefer a plastic wristband as the one that comes supplied stays wet for long periods of time in humid conditions. I understand you can purchase just the end caps to change the wristband so that a plastic one can be fitted. I also think a NATO band would be equally as good (and more secure), but you would still have the issue of a wet wrist band.

Pros (Functions):
1. The design is excellent and intuitive. Multifunctions on the left side and ABC functions on the right side;
2. You can see a graphical display of the Barometric Pressure in the top left corner which was very accurate and extremely handy when choosing the right clothing to wear on a particular day (but always go prepared);
3. When worn off the wrist, the Temp is very accurate, right down to the point degrees;
4. When calibrated correctly, the Compass is also accurate. Having said that, I always took a Silva compass (it goes everywhere with me) to calibrate to. Again, it's about being prepared; and
5. Haven't tried the Baro as yet. Will be doing that in the coming weeks

Cons (Functions):
In the top left corner you can show the following:
1. Day;
2. A graphical display of the Barometric pressure; and
3. The Year
It would have been better to substitute the year to the Compass Reading.

Overall, this is a great watch and I wear it all of the time.
on April 17, 2011
This watch will do everything you were looking for in a "sport watch."
With anything,I read the instructions first as I am not the sharpest tool in the shed! The directions are straight forward and need to be followed as stated...which is like every Casio I have owned. I have not set all the settings but have found one problem(could be my fault...not!)the altitude is off at times by one hundred feet + and that is allowing it to adjust for one hour or so.
Would I buy it again...yes.
on February 21, 2013
I've owned a few G-Shock watches over the years. This is my first Pathfinder. I've had it for about a year now. I share a lot of the sentiments of the 4-Star and 5-Star reviewers. I love the watch. I have never spent so much money for a watch. But, I think I got my money's worth on it (retail $250, but I got it for about $160 + tax + shipping).

On a side note, I ran into a Marine that owned the same exact watch that I had, at a deployed location in Africa. He liked his watch a lot as well. Like me, at the time, he hadn't read the entire user's manual yet (he had just bought it) and wasn't utilizing it fully but what he did figure out, up to that point, were features and functionality that were very useful to him.

I thoroughly researched several styles and brands, including Suunto. I was looking for something that was solar-powered and waterproof and had a compass, thermometer, more than one alarm, altimeter, and timer/stopwatch.

The moon phase and tide features of the watches in the next higher tier watches interested me but I was unwilling to spend an additional $75-$100 to get those features. Atomic would be nice but I would want to be able to adjust the time manually (is that possible with an atomic watch?) and really, a quick call to the US Naval Observatory (719-567-6742) and I've got atomic time again. I have noticed that this watch does not drift as much as my Casio G-Shock, maybe a few seconds a month.

Overall, the watch has everything I need and it's very easy to use. Aesthetically, it's a nice-looking watch. I don't like the 'flashy/goofy' watches that have strange colors. I tend to like the black, blue, dark green, & grey (neutral colors). The numbers & letters on the watch can be any color, though. Any criticisms that I have are minor and aren't a 'deal-killer' or anything.

PROs:
Has all of the features I was looking for; Looks good; I like the ability to change units (Celsius vs. Fahrenheit, etc.) turn on/off sounds, set LCD light time, etc. is really nice; user-friendly functionality; when I compared this watch to other Casio watches or other brands, the other watches didn't have all of the functions that I 'had to have.' I also like the watchband. I don't want the metal linked one with the metal clasp; I prefer the leather, cloth (or both) style or the hard rubber (waterproof) style.

CONs (minor):
The bezel ring should have a 'notch' or 'detent' with North ("N") at the top, a bit annoying because it drifts, now and then; I like to be able to rotate it but it needs something to keep it in place in the 'north up' position; the alarm is a bit soft, though it always wakes me up; Accuracy is sometimes off; the fact that I have to take my watch off to take any reading is a CON; Sunset and sunrise are +/- 5 to 10 min off when compared to actual/internet; Ballpark it's fine, you'd have to get Consumer Reports to test the accuracy and compare it against the other watches. You can adjust (if you had to) the compass readings (I didn't), altimeter readings, and I think the baro one also.

Suggestion:
You really have to read the instruction manual to fully utilize the features of this watch. It'll take some time but it's worth it and it was written in a way that makes sense (it shouldn't be confusing to you). You'll be glad that you did.
on July 27, 2013
The trend now is for big watches. Many are just too heavy and hard on your wrist. On some of these "Monsters", it's also hard to tell the time, as the hands are the same color as the face or there is just too much clutter on the face to even find the hands. This watch avoids all of these annoyances. It is large but very light and easy on the wrist. With a quick glance you can easily tell the time and date. Very functional. Night light works well, too. Adjust it for maximum time exposure, though. I wouldn't want to use the compass for any serious navigation, but it's okay for a quick reference. Band is a little stiff, but I like the blue color. Barometer and altimeter seem like overkill to me, but it's someting to brag about at the bar on Saturday night. I don't use the thermometer, but it's there if you need it. I leave the watch in a window when I'm not wearing it, and so far it has stayed on high charge - so, I'm very pleased with the solar. My only complaint about this watch is the hazy look on the crystal. Maybe it's got something to do with the sunlight and solar charge. Expect to pay about $150 for this watch, but it's worth every cent.