Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on January 5, 2013
I read a lot of reviews about this watch prior to buying it. Most of those reviews were good but some of them were bad so after having this for a few weeks now I'd like to mention a few things that may explain the bad reviews that I read. Most people did not seem to be using their heads or just I'll informed.

First I should start off by saying that this watch takes a reasonable amount of intelligence for you to get the most out of it. I have yet to find anything negative about it but you need to keep these things in mind.

Be careful when you size the band or ask someone to size it for you. This band does not use the typical link pins like most watches. You know, the kind that are split and spread out to hold the link pin in place. When you push the pins out of this band, each pin is held captive by a small split barrel that goes into the middle of the inside smallest part of the link. If you push any of the link pins out and you are not careful, that small barrel is going to fall on the floor or roll off of the table never to be found again. That small barrel is split because when the link pin grows through it, it spreads out a little and causes the proper tension to hold the link pin in place inside of the band. If you lose this small barrel the link pin is going to slide through the one side of the band and go right out the other side. If the small barrel falls out just remember it can only go into one side of the smallest part of each link. It won't go into either side, just one side where you can see that the hole has been made larger for this barrel to fit in.

After you get your band adjusted you will need to calibrate the barometer. It will be kind of close right out of the box but not right on. Once you calibrate it, it should stay within a couple of hundredths of your local barometric pressure reading. There are a few places that you can find highly accurate barometric pressure reading in your area. In my area there is a local county airport and on the (NOAA) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration web page I can find the current barometric pressure reading for this airport. Barometric pressure readings seem to stay fairly accurate within 25 miles or so ofnwhere you live. Barometric pressure is listed on the NOAA website as "altimeter". Why would it be listed as altimeter when we are looking for barometric pressure and not altimeter? Well, that's because when airplanes calibrate their altimeters, it's actually controlled by barometric pressure so when you read altimeter on the NOAA site they are telling pilots to dial that value into their altimeter while they are sitting in the runway. Keep in mind that on the NOAA site, these values usually get updated once every hour. Sometimes when they are updated the reading is delayed by 15 minutes or so. As soon as that value updates on your web page, calibrate your barometer and it should be pretty much right on every time you check it from that point on.

Now for the altimeter. The altimeter on this watch just like in an airplane's altimeter is affected by changes in barometric pressure. Barometric pressure changes constantly. From time to time an hour will go by and barometric pressure will not vary that much. Other times it will rise quickly or fall quickly. If you calibrate your altimeter on this watch and the barometric pressure does not change much then your altitude reading will stay pretty much spot on. If you calibrate it and the barometric really changes drastically then the accuracy of your barometer on this watch will drop in accuracy. In order to properly calibrate the altimeter on your watch you need to have a good reference altitude. What I've done is made notes of the actual altitude of my house, where I work and other locations that I frequent. Now the easiest way to find these reference altitudes is to use Google Earth. Not Google Earth on your iPhone or iPad because that program will not show the actual elevation. On those devices it will only show you how high you are viewing any specific area from. You need to use Google Earth on your computer. That will show you the actual altitude of any place you rest your mouse on. Once you find these reference points you'll need to be at one of them and calibrate your altimeter. You should find that if you set it at your home and drive to where you work the altitude should be correct as long as it's not a day that the barometric pressure is changing rapidly. The altimeter can only be calibrated in increments of 20' so you'll have to pickthe increment that is closest to what Google Earth showed. Also, don't expect to calibrate this on the ground and then fly in a commercial airplane and watch the altitude change. Remember that they pressurize the cabin so your barometric pressure that you will read will be based on cabin pressure and I've already noted that the altimeter is affected by changes in barometric pressure. The altimeter on this watch is mainly meant for hiking and biking, not flying. In a small Cessna it would probably work fine but I wouldn't want to rely on this for landing the plane.

Lets talk about the temperature reading. This temperature sensor is really meant to tell temperature when the watch is off of your wrist. Keep in mind that when you wear the watch and press the barometer button to see the temperature, it's probably going to read around 83 degrees f. That's because the heat from your body has raised the temperature of the watch and the sensor is located inside of the watch. If you take the watch off I have found that it takes about 30 minutes for the watch to read actual air or room temperature. There are some people out there that have attempted to calibrate the sensor so that it takes into consideration their body temperature so they calibrate it to read room temperature while the watch is on their wrist. This is kind of a boneheaded thing to do because your body temperature is going to be affected by a number of factors. Also, if you wear a watch fairly loosly like I do it's not always going to be tight against your wrist so the watch temperature will always be changing.

In order to get the sunrise and sunset feature to be accurate you'll want to read the manual on how to adjust it and again, find your house or city on Google Earth to get the latitude and longitude and put that offset in the watch and you'll read within a few minutes of any of the sunrise and sunset times that you will find on the web for your area.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't adjusted the calibration of the compass. From what I can see it's close enough to my GPS, the compass on my car's mirror and a little handheld compass. I would expect that if I were lost in the woods or anywhere else for that matter I could get headed in the right direction. There are some adjustments that you can make to the compass off of maps but I haven't seen any reasons to calibrate it.

So with all of that said, this is a great watch. The automatic backlight feature works great although I bumped the default time up from one second to two seconds. The power saver feature also works as advertised.

If you are on the fence about buying this watch and bad reviews are what have you on the fence, hopefully I've shed some light on these issues that are really non-issues as long as you are using the watch properly.
55 comments| 449 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 1, 2015
I enjoy all the said features, except the thermometer is kinda stupid since you have to remove it to get anywhere near accurate.
I specifically wanted the titanium strap so the bulky watch wouldnt shake itself apart from active use, but a few pins kept falling out and i almost lost it.
They should make the pins on par with the links.
on October 29, 2012
I'm really happy I purchased this watch. I had it on my Wish List for quite some time. When they went on sale, I decided to finally get one.

My first impression was that I was really surprised how light the watch is. For some reason I thought it was going to be a lot heavier.

I like everything about this thing. The controls are easy and intuitive (I did read most of the manual, though, to make sure I wasn't missing out on any features). I had everything set in a matter of minutes. I found that the temperature reading is about 15º off compared to what it actually is in my apartment but his expected since my wrist will skew the reading. The compass seemed on out of the box but I do plan on calibrating it just to make sure.

When I was removing a link to resize the band I didn't know about the little sleeves that hold the pins in. Luckily I was able to find them on the floor with a flashlight. If you are going to remove links yourself, be very, very careful with the sleeves. They are tiny.

Overall, this is a great watch and I only wish I bought one sooner!
on November 1, 2013
I was in the market for a new watch and, being an amateur photographer, wanted a timepiece that some features that would be useful in the outdoors. After looking at a number of less and more expensive options, I chose this one and I couldn't be happier.

First, despite its size and all the features that are packed into it, the watch is amazingly light. I had to have a jeweler remove a link to get it properly fitted, but the band now fits perfectly. The double-clasp design means it's highly unlikely to get accidentally loosened.

Setting up the watch takes a few minutes, but the instructions are fairly easy to follow and once you grasp the logic behind the settings, it goes quickly.

The thermometer is very accurate, but you have to remove it from your wrist to get an accurate read of ambient temperature. Likewise, the barometer, altimeter and compass readings seem accurate. If you're really compulsive about these measurements, you may need separate devices, but if you want the convenience of these features on your wrist, this is a good way to go.

Finally, I like the idea that it is solar powered, which means I'll never have to disturb the watch's seal that could compromise its weather seal.
on March 10, 2017
Great watch at a great price. I bought this on a lightning deal and what a buy. I has a great look, light weight, but not cheaply made. It features beside usual time & date, altimeter, barometer, compass and solar charging. All this for a fraction of the price of some of the "elite" brands. You can't go wrong with this watch
on January 30, 2014
Prior to purchasing this watch I never wore one. I don't like to carry my phone everywhere with me but I wanted to get a watch that could earn its keep. I took it off once and couldn't find it for a week but It's not coming off again!
The barometer is great and seems to stay accurate, I check it about once a month just to make sure it is still on.
The thermometer is nice to have although not accurate unless you are submerged, or you take the watch off for several minutes.
The compass feature is great. I never really have to use it in the field (although I do check it from time to time) but I use it in large cities and in the large buildings on campus that I usually get lost in.
The altimeter is also great and seems to stay accurate within 10 feet on most of my endeavors (I also check this feature about 1/month)
I really enjoy the sunrise/sunset function and find myself checking this more frequently than I'd thought I would.
It has the ability to record certain datum but I have yet to use this feature although I'm sure it works just fine
The watch also has a function to tell world time and although I only used this feature once, it was nice to know and everyone was impressed that I could tell on my watch without having to look it up on a smart phone.
The stopwatch and Timer features are great and it is worth noting that the Timer function can time up to 23hours 59 minutes and 55 seconds.
There are 5 alarms to program on the watch which is great because I usually have 2 set for every day, and the others can be set for specific events when I need them. It is also very easy to turn the alarms on and off and scroll through them without much effort.
On the alarm setting you can also set the watch to beep every hour on the hour
on the main screen, you have the option to view a track of barometric pressure, Year, or day of the week
the light is easy to find in the dark but also not easy to activate on accident, and also has a feature to light up when you look at your watch--a feature that works much better than I expected.
One of the best things about this watch is that it charges by exposure to the sun and even indoor light! I don't think being indoors really does that great if you want to use the features or light function but with a lifestyle that takes you outdoors for even a couple hours per day I'm sure is more than enough. Some days the watch is covered up under clothing all day and still I have never seen the battery charge level drop below high.
I LOVE THIS WATCH
on March 8, 2017
It is a great watch. Just what I wanted. I'm involved with Search and Rescue and needed a watch that was rugged and functional with the features I need. I really like the idea that it can be re- charged by the sun. Compass and altimeter functions are very useful to me. A great watch.
on December 10, 2012
This watch is much lighter than you would think on viewing the photos. It is striking in its appearance, though quite large so perhaps best suited to those with larger wrists. The titanium band has a nice feature in that the back of the watch is stiff at the initial links so as to prevent slippage around the wrist. It will likely be necessary to have the strap adjusted and you'll probably need to visit a jeweler or watch repair shop to have it done because it's next to impossible without the specialized tools needed.

The watch itself is feature-rich, but the instructions take time to decipher. Be prepared to have to calibrate the sensors or there will be variance. The solar powered battery works as advertised, but don't expect a full charge unless you leave it in a window in the sun or under a lamp for a few hours. It will maintain current charge levels simply based on available light when worn in regular daytime conditions.

My only complaint (aside from the inadequacy of the instruction manual) is that the volume of the tones used is quite low and doesn't appear to be adjustable, e.g., alarm, timer, hourly chime, etc.... That said, it's not an atomic watch so you'll need to adjust time based on applicable timezone, i.e., it won't set automatically via radio signals. The same watch with this feature costs about $50 or so more at the time I purchased and, unless you travel frequently, may not be worth the extra cost.

Overall, it's an excellent watch that represents great value when you consider style and features relative to cost. I would recommend this to anyone who wants something a little more useful than a standard timepiece.
on October 19, 2015
I am pleased with the watch. It's much lighter than it looks. The wristband was a bit too wide and adjusting it required a person who knew what he was doing. (I have to say that I am not good around tools of any kind.) It cost me $15 dollars to have it adjusted. The temperature sensor is not reliable; I think that it measures your body temperature. The barometer feature and the compass are impressive. Adjusting the time zone and the time in general are not that intuitive, but the manual will guide you through. The battery was mid-charged, but I left the watch for about one hour in a bright sunny room and it fully charged. I gave it only 4 stars because of the instructions for accessing various features. If you do not have access to the manual , then you cannot take full advantage of the watch.
on November 29, 2017
Buttons were difficult to to push. Back-lit screen was dim and difficult to read at angles. Band was not solid Titanium. Felt cheap and flimsy on my wrist. Did not feel secure. For the price there are much better watches by casio. Specifically those with atomic time. Decent watch but just didn't feel like it was for me. Sent back and getting the PAW3510.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse