Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 113 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 154 reviews
on November 15, 2008
I have a ton of Casio watches, including three old alti-barometer watches. When this series came out, I waited a while and then jumped on it. It has everything one could want. Well, it does everything it says it should, and very well. However, after about one year of use, I'm running into problems. I fly for a living, and this is the watch I take with me. I usually go to Europe five times a month and I wear this watch, when I'm home in the US this watch sits by a window to charge up and receive the atomic clock.
Well, the watch makes it to Europe, but on the return, it usually dies on me. It goes from battery High indication to a dead screen with a flashing "C", meaning it went into power saver mode trying to recharge. At this point it loses all information - time, date, altimeter settings etc... The other day it started flashing an "R" and froze up. Haven't found that in the manual yet. But I'm giving up on it. A watch is no good if it can't reliably show the time, and this one doesn't do that.
My guess is that the rechargeable battery is dead. The watch is out of warranty now, so I'm on my own with it. I found a place online that sells these rechargeable batteries, I guess I could give that a try. Still, disappointing, you would think a solar watch would work a whole lot longer than a regular battery.

Edit:

I bought a new rechargeable battery for nine dollars from a NY online store and changed it myself. The watch works perfectly now and hasn't dipped below a "High" charge since and that has been about a year. It has taken a lot of abuse in the last two years and still works great although the plastic on the sides is pretty scuffed. I changed the rating to a five star rating now since it works as it should. Still not pleased that Casio sent it out with a bad battery. By the way, it does receive the German and British time signals perfectly. Haven't tried the Japanese one yet. It is a little annoying that the watch needs to be told that it is in a different country though, rather than scanning for a signal by itself. I usually don't bother since the watch is accurate enough for a while without updating. Like most Casio's, it runs fast a few seconds every month if it doesn't update.

Update October 2011:

It is now a few years later. The watch still runs on the replacement rechargeable battery I bought and replaced back then and it's still always on "High". It was definitely a bad battery I got from Casio. The watch itself is holding up well. The silver is starting to scratch off a little bit which makes it look not so pretty. All functions still work and it has seen some abuse. If it only was a little bit smaller. But still happy with the purchase.
66 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2017
This is the second pathfinder watch I have owned. The first still works for its atomic time, date and many of the stopwatch and other functions. I bought it so long ago that I do not remember how old it is. Some of the buttons no longer work (e.g. for altitude, compass and barometer) but considering it is 8 or 10 years old, I think that is good . The battery and photoelectric cell also work well. I got a new watch because the missing functions are sometimes important when I am hiking or biking. One feature that I don't see promoted very much is the lit dial that turns on automatically for about a second when : 1.) it is dark and 2.) you tilt the watch arm up to look at it. This has been invaluable when photographing the moon or the planets at night and I don't want to lose night vision but still want to know the time. I have never babied this watch but it still looks good and the crystal is unscratched. I like this watch.
on March 3, 2017
I have had this watch 8 years now and it is still going strong as an everydayer. Even days at work as a fighter it has held up in all kinds of conditions.
on March 28, 2017
Wholesome product.
on July 28, 2014
This watch just was not what my son wanted. I returned the watch because it did not have the "automatic" atomic feature. It says it is Atomic, but you still have to choose a state or region. My son wanted the type that receives a signal that sets the time automatically when you cross into a different time zone.
on February 27, 2008
This is a great watch (replaced one I had for 12 years battery operated).
The band is crap and they made it so you can't replace it with a normal flex band (look at the pix attaching point).
Back to the watch... Very accurate altimiter ( I live at 4300' and It nails it when you set the bar.pressure correctly). Ditto on the compass.
Bottom line...You'll love the size and the solar performance..Buy It.
P.S. If you find a band that works let me know..
mntpop@hughes.net
on January 28, 2008
This is a very handy watch with it's atomic clock reception, solar charging, altimeter/barometer, thermometer and compass.

I purchased this watch to replace my 15 year old Pathfinder (then called the "Triple Sensor"). Solar charging and atomic clock reception is a nice plus. No need for replacement batteries, nor do you need to set the time. You'll never need to worry about breaking the factory seal to replace the batteries and you can compare all your other watches' accuracy against it

All instruments work as well as any other similar product-- compass as good as my Silva magnetic compass, barometer is as accurate as my home "weather stations", as is the atomic clock.

My only complaint is the recording mode-- not sure if the other models work the same way. My old Pathfinder would record both barometric pressure and temperature in 15 minute intervals for up to like 12 hours. This new one only records altitude. For me, I'm more interested in temperature while traveling/backpacking. It's fun to see how cold it got in your tent in the middle of the night. The watch already tracks pressure in hourly intervals, providing a 24 hour trend display, so this renders the recording feature even less useful for me. A little disappointed there. If you're interested in your accent/decent during a hike, this function would be useful.

This is a tough watch, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon.
All said, it's a quality Casio.
on June 19, 2012
After close to a year I feel qualified to review this product. The great features of this watch are:

1. Automatic time synchronization. The watch can get the time signal from Colorado easily here in Manitoba so I haven't had to once manually set the time. I like a watch that is correct within seconds all the time and this watch does that.

2. The battery always stays on high charge for me without any special precautions. I'm looking forward to not having to change batteries in the future.

The cons of the watch are:

1. The engraving on the back of the case is probably laser etched and has sharp edges which irritate my wrist, and a year's wear still has not smoothed it down.

2. The watch is fairly large and the strap doesn't have hole which is just right for me, so it's either slightly tight or slightly loose. I also started wearing the watch on my right hand because the little finger on my left hand felt a little numb as if a nerve or blood vessel was pinched. The left little finger seemed to improve after the switch, but I can't say definitively that the watch band caused it, but I can saw the watch band isn't comfortable to wear.

3. The worst feature for me is the lack of intuitiveness in many of the settings. For instance, when setting a timer I often need to go back to the manual because for me there's no logic in how it's done and it isn't easy to remember when you don't use a feature often. And there should be shortcuts in getting to settings, instead of stepping through all the functions. The timer, for instance, takes four presses to reach.... rather tedious. Also, you can't reach the barometer, altimeter, or compass display unless you are at the time screen.

The compass function will display the direction for a while and then just shows dashes. There is no explanation in the manual for why this happens, I'm assuming it's a time out feature to save power. They should explain that.

So it's a good watch, but could have a better design.
on August 20, 2010
Enough has been said about this beautiful, functional watch. Functionally, its a superior watch with more bells and whistles than u would ever expect from a watch (altimeter, barometer, thermometer, compass, atomic sync, solar, timer, chrono, world time EL light etc., etc.,). I would rather like to highlight the aesthetics of the watch. Because, when I was planning to buy this watch, the most important aspect i was looking for was if this watch fits my wrist right (not being bulky) and can be worn anywhere i like to wear (office, weekends, outdoors).

Love the style - Very slim (11.5 mm thickness). Though the watch face is 47.4 mm, it doesn't look all that big on my average sized wrist (probably its because of the slim form factor). Casio avoided the dual display in this watch (as opposed to the other slim pathfinder model PAW2000). Reason is probabaly since this is the first full-functional pathfinder model with a slim case and hence Casio didn't have the technology to do a dual display without compromising on the thickness of the case. But, guess what!, this has helped a bit in increasing the contrast for the display. PAW1300's display is crisp looking than it's pricey cousin PAW2000, as dual display models tend to look dull because of the overlay. And, the compromise of single display is that u won't see the big compass indicator lines, instead will see small indicators on the perimeter of the watch. To me, i will take this to improve my display contrast.

The silver colored bezel neither looks dull nor too shiny, has the right polish and gives an up-scale look for the watch. Durable and sleek construction. Very attractive when you wear it, sure is a head-turner. I have owned older models of pathfinder (PAW1200-1V) and was reluctant to wear to office due to its bulky size (14.4mm thick and 48.9 wide). But, this one I wear to office just as I do for outdoors/weekends. It fits right under the sleeve.

In all, Casio has managed to blend style with substance at the right proportion which satisfies most of us, if not all, who either want to wear this to office or casual or outdoor alike. Buy it, you won't regret it.
on April 15, 2008
I have owned two Suunto Vector and two Casio Pathfinder watches. I bought this watch primarily for the added watch features and the slim profile. I was not disappointed at all and would say I prefer this watch over all the other compass watches I have owned. Clean, easy to read, accurate and useful, it is all that it claimed to be. Worth every penny so far. More as I use it in the woods. The two best features are the small size and the mineral glass face.