Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 21, 2014
A really great watch!
There are notes in the reviews that describe how to make the band shorter.
I had to make the band shorter and even working over a container I managed to lose a sleeve for one of the pins. Place a cloth towel into the pan over which you are working. I used a paper towel and one sleeve still bounced away never to be seen again. They are non-magnetic. Since I was making the band shorter it was a nonissue. Many watch repair places have the correct diameter sleeves if needed.

The radio synchronization works very well here in central CA. Some thoughts as to where to not place the watch for proper time updates. Do not place the watch near switching power supplies or the wires that connect to them as they will interfere with signal reception by the watch. This is NOT a fault of the watch. These interference generating items include battery chargers for cell phones, TV set top boxes, computer modems and computers etc including lap top computers. Any product which has an electronic display can produce interference. I place my watch on the dresser and it updates correctly every night. Other electronics is more than five feet away from the watch for this update process.
Russ, NM6DX
5 people found this helpful
on September 17, 2010
This watch is an amazing piece of technology. It seems very accurate and the user interface is very well thought out. Much better than any other watch of this type that I have owned. Along with a GPS you are not going to get lost once you learn how to use both.

The thermometer portion is not very useful for ambient temperature readings. You could take it off and wait 20 minutes. On the other hand it can show you if the barometric pressure and altimeter can be believed since they are temperature sensitive. It tends to show that temperature on the wrist changes very little so probably will not affect readings very much.

The watch is very light for the size.

It is a large manual and a lot to learn but much of the interface becomes intuitive after some use. Read the manual and learn it or you are wasting your money. Read it on your computer (download the pdf from Casio) because the book itself is almost useless since the type is REALLY tiny,
8 people found this helpful
on February 1, 2014
Pros;
- Water resistant to 100 meters ( I would prefer, 500 meters in a perfect world).
- Low height profile (amazing technology)
- Solar battery charging (I can stick it under a light bulb for a few hours and full charge!!!)
- Atomic time keeping (Astonishingly accurate and reliable!)
- Titanium is strong and light

Cons;
- Brightness of display could be much brighter! The background color is grey NOT BRIGHT WHITE AS IT SHOULD BE.
- The over all face size is just barely big enough to be stylish BUT THE ACTUAL ILLUMINATED DISPLAY AREA DOES NOT COVER THE ENTIRE FACE....AS IT SHOULD, FOR MAXIMUM VISABILITY, READABILITY AND SEXINESS!
- The small adjustments of the band are not good enough to get the perfect fit on my wrist.
- The band is super light but is narrow and looks more suited for a girl. I want he-man, bear wrestling, bad assed band, not girl band!

Having said all that is it super reliable and the best watch that I ever owned. I have to be exactly on time and by God this watch is on freaking time!
on October 11, 2010
This watch is perfect for us gadget geeks. When I first opened the box to this watch, my OCD told me to adjust the band first. So that's what I did. I was able to knock out the first adjustment pin using a small hammer and a paper clip. The following pins I hammered out more easily, using the pin from the prior link. It's very easy to do, and no - it doesn't bend the pin. WARNING: When knocking out the pin, there is a TINY little "collar" that comes out also. I suspect that if you lost that collar, it would be a super pain to get a replacement one. Sooo... knock out the pin, then dump the little collar onto a piece of scotch tape. Then put the pin next to that, and fold the tape in half over the pin/collar to store it. If you've never adjusted a metal band before, make sure you knock the pin down, in the direction of the little arrow. And also make sure to take a link from each side of the clasp. Otherwise the watch will fit un-evenly on your wrist (pulling to one side).

Ok, so now the watch fits PERFECTLY. Now to press all of the buttons. After messing around for a while, I got out the instructions and started programming things and getting it all setup. Super easy to do!

Notes after a few hikes and some daily use:

The thermometer is crazy. If you have the watch sitting all by itself for a while (not in direct sunlight or anything that would mess up the temp), pick it up and adjust the thermometer to as close as possible to the actual temperature. Later while you are wearing it, it will go crazy again. But, when you take it off, it will get decently close to the correct temp. This is due to your body temperature. And being in sunlight, etc.

The barometer - find a local weather forecasting station, or website that has your local barometric pressure, and set the watch to this. It will remain pretty accurate. Every once in a while I've found it to be a tiny bit off, but, what you are really looking for is a trend over a few hours anyway. So if it is 1010 in the morning and 960 at noon, you may be looking at rain. I guess it being off by a few digits isn't really important. I am just OCD. lol

The altimeter - yeah, crazy too. Find out from a topography map, or something trustworthy for elevation readings (my GPS is reliable, but its for hiking, not driving - so the maps have topology), and set the watch for this. Each day, the watch will change by some odd amount.
I suppose if you were going on a mountaineering expedition, you would know your height at the bottom of the mountain, and set the watch to this. Then as you ascend, the watch is very accurate, and it keeps your "difference" for you, from where you started. It has little built in features to keep graphs of your elevation changes and etc. But, if you just wake up, and go drive to a mountain, and climb it. The watch may say you are lower than you were at home. You are best off checking the settings each time you intend to use it, not checking after you are already hiking and don't know your height. I guess this is due to changes in the weather. The barometric pressure goes down, so the altimeter is offset. Maybe.

The compass - Perfect! It only gives me false readings in the car, and I'm guessing thats due to the radio/speakers/digital dash/radar detector/ipod/etc... There's so much electrical interference in my car, I'm surprised airplanes don't lose their bearing around me. Out walking around, the compass is perfect. I have set the declination/offset to my area and the compass feature of this watch is very precise. Sooo... nothing but good things here.
11 people found this helpful
on March 17, 2015
This watch, located in the same place as my other working "atomic" devices, did not sync with the time signal from Colorado. I sent back to Casio, but they didn't acknowledge receipt and one month later, it looks like it's been lost somewhere. I've had a few Pathfinder watches in the past but this is the most disappointing. The watch's other features seemed to work okay and I would give it a couple more stars if I ever get it back working as it should.
on August 18, 2013
I love this watch. However, it does have one annoying feature: The auto backlight works EXACTLY as stated: It requires that the watch be rotated from horizontal to +40 degrees of angulation towards your face. But my "neutral" body position positions the watch at -40 degrees and I fall JUST short of achieving the +40 degrees of tilt towards me when I rotate my wrist about as far as it will go. To achieve that last few degrees that activate the EL feature, I must also rotate my shoulder (lift the arm). This means I cannot activate the EL feature with the watch held low--I must bring it up to chin level to activate the EL feature.
|0Comment|Report abuse
The POSITIVES: Superb band lock. Very secure. Watch functions: OK. Like the idea of temperature and barometer. Both work well and are surprisingly pretty accurate. Compass was OK to have. Watch is surprisingly lighter than my older Casio. Excellent idea having the function pins made of metal. The size of the watch itself is larger than my MT-G (47mm vs. 50mm). I thought this would be a problem but it was not.

The NEGATIVES: First and foremost, the watch has black external and INTERNAL bezels. Second, it has the duplex dial window AND the watch face itself is digital gray. Very simply put, the watch face is dark and difficult to read. The backlit display is not strong or bright enough to adequately illuminate thru the two watch faces. What you get is a washed out and VERY PALE blue green light. The 2 black bezels are distracting and almost blend together making the bezel labels impossible to read without a very strong direct light. With the watch on my wrist, I had to move the watch face parallel to my eyes in order to read it. A 90 degree shift of my wrist and you could not read or even guess the time as the screen literally is too gray and dark to read. The metal function switches worked well while the two plastic ADJUST and LIGHT switches were hard to press in order to get them to work.

Overall, there is just too much DARK of everything on this watch including the band. On my wrist, the look of the watch is NOT a compliment, and looks more like something dark made of something dark and maybe has a function for doing something. Overall, this is NOT A HANDSOME looking watch that I would be pleased to wear.
4 people found this helpful
on March 5, 2011
I am very pleased with this watch. I ordered it about two months ago and it arrived within a week. The packaging was done well enough that the watch was in perfect condition.

This watch has all the features that I could want. The time signal update works about 80% of the time at 45N, 76W and 100% of the time at 53N,90W in Canada. The altimeter and barometer are very accurate for what I want. With awareness of the barometric changes, I find the altimeter to be very close to my Garmin GPS. The light is plenty bright enough for viewing (I have not used the auto EL feature yet).

I never worry about charging the watch and since having it the power level has been on medium almost the whole time (with a few "high" times). It's winter and this is with plenty of long sleeve days.

It is very light (compared to my daily worn steel Citizen Calibre 8700) and comfortable. I find it also looks much nicer in person once it is sized to your wrist. My wrists are fairly small and it still works well. I ended up removing three links.

Special thanks go out to the previous reviewer who went over the band adjustment procedure and stressed the importance of doing it over a tray so you don't lose the tiny pin collars.

I found the manual to be very thorough for setting and using the watch. For those who find the font too small (it is quite small), just go to the manufacturers website and download the pdf file. You can view and zoom on the computer or print a hard copy.
One person found this helpful
on May 2, 2013
My 9 year old version of this model had seen its last, so it was time to get a new watch.
I opted for the "slimline" version this time, and am glad I did.
Still a 'larger than the average bear' watch, but it is about 1/3 thinner than other Pathfinders.
Funtionality is great, beautiful watch face and detail, light and comfortable.
Temp, altitude, barometric pressure, compass, date, sunrise/sunset and, oh yeah, and it tells time too.
2 people found this helpful
on December 20, 2011
I really enjoy this watch. It is very light. I like the titanium band but prefer the black resin with this black bezel on titanium case color scheme. Unfortunately, the material that the watch case is made of isn't metal or it sure doesn't feel like it to me. Anyway, I bought the Casio replacement band for the PAW2000-1CR and it fit like a glove and really sets off the watch. It was easy to swop the bands. You just have to be careful when working the two flat jewelers screw drivers and make sure to get the screws reassembled tightly. You don't want the bands to come apart at an inconvenient time. By the way, there is a sleeve that has to be removed once the screw sets have been removed. Otherwise the band won't come off the watch. I haven't received any compliments yet, but I'm not trying to show it off either. I did notice that the watch wouldn't auto-update via the radio signal until I forced it to update. And that wasn't easy. On the fourth or fifth try I decided to set it on the grass outside to see if that helped. Bingo, it updated in about five minutes. After that it updated automatically the following morning at a little past 2AM. I really like the digital readout. It is easy to read and easy to move between the functions with the various buttons. I especially enjoy that the current time is displayed on almost all modes. It is a little pricey but worth it to me.
One person found this helpful