Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on March 2, 2014
I decided to put this review up as a few reviewers have issues with the accuracy of the altimeter readings, and may not understand the limitations of these watches:

Design
======
The PRG270 is smaller than some of the older Protrek models, due to the smaller sensor, and they have moved the sensor location from the 10 o'clock to the 9 o'clock position. The triple sensor makes these watches sometimes called ABC watches as they have Altitude, Barometer & Compass readouts. The smaller design makes it easier to wear everyday, however the face is still relatively busy, with the case having front raised sections (at the 12, 3, 6 & 9) with indents. The sensor at the 9 o'clock position sits higher than the raised section at the 3 o'clock position. The crystal is recessed nicely as usual on Casio G-Shocks and Protreks.

I wish the design could look more like the PRW3000, which is cleaner and more stylish IMHO Casio Men's PRW-3000-1ACR Protrek Digital Display Japanese Quartz Black Watch, but is also 3 times more expensive. The display is similar to the other Protreks, divided into three sections. The top section has a dotmatrix display and can show the date, or altitude/barometric graphs, the middle section is the time, and the lower section is the seconds.

The watch is light, mine weighs about 67 grams (2.36 ounces), and has 10Bar water resistance, which means it is ok in a rain shower, or shallow swim, but it wouldn't be ok with a scuba dive. I have only had this watch in the rain, and it functions fine.

One issue with the PRG270 is the strap uses a 18mm spring lug, so if you wanted to put a wider Nato/Zulu strap, you'd need an adapter.

Features
=======
- EL backlight, this is nice and bright, and the EL button is still on the front, they have moved the adjust button on older Protreks from the front to the 10 o'clock position. You can still set this for Automatic, and set it for 1 or 3 second display.
- Date display - on the Time display, you can change date to Day&Date, or Month&Date, or Barometric Graph only (no date).
- Setting time - this is a breeze. when you get the watch is preset to Tokyo time. Changing the Time zone to your location, and checking if Daylight Saving Time (DST) applies, and voila - the time is set and easy to change if you travel. The secondary timezone is set by picking various preset cities. I have not had any issue with the time accuracy so far.
- Stopwatch/Countdown TImer (24 hours max)/Alarm - All standard, but the alarm lets you have 5 individual alarms, and the alarm is louder and longer than my Suunto Core watches.
- Sunrise/Sunset - this is also a breeze to set. The PRG270 lets you input the longitude and latitude of your location for accurate sunrise/sunset times. Compared with my Suunto Core watches which only lets me choose nearest cities.
- Power save - I have set this to on, and the watch will display will go off overnight, or after a period of unuse to conserve battery. You can wake it up by pressing any button.

Altimeter/Barometer (This is from my previous reply comment to a review on the altimeter readings)
=======

All altimeter watches without GPS embedded will calculate the estimate of altitude by changes in air (barometric) pressure.

Air pressure can change due to many things, like change in elevation, change in weather, your physical location and wind. So for example, if you get a low pressure system coming through over night, while you leave your watch on the table, it could appear that you have ascended a few hundred feet in your sleep. Similarly, if you take the watch on a commercial airplane, it will not give you a reading on the actual altitude, but a lower altitude, based on the pressure within the cabin. If you fly in an unpressurized aircraft, it will give you a more accurate altitude reading. I have taken a Suunto Core with me when I've been in a few prop aircraft, and used it as a secondary altimeter in skydiving, and it has been fairly accurate after calibration. I'll take the Casio up next time and see how it goes.

Also, I have found that the altimeter and barometer readings tend to vary with temperature, and gives marginally more accurate readings off the wrist especially if I have been hiking and my wrist is warm.

I also have a few Suunto Core watches, and the Suunto Core is quite clever in the way it calculates the altitude. If you leave it in altitude logging, it will gain elevation as you physically climb up, as the barometric pressure changes faster than it does when the weather changes, so it realises you are climbing. But once you stop climbing for a while, it realises this and any slight air pressure changes it takes as weather change, and not altitude gain or loss. The Casio doesn't have this feature.

For accurate altimeter readings you still need to calibrate your altimeter watch to your reference altitude on a fairly regular basis. I do this when I want to log altitudes before a hike/climb. An easy way to do this is to check Google Earth which gives accurate altitude readings when you put your location. You can then calibrate the barometric pressure from your local meteorology service (I take mine from their website on the day I calibrate).

If kept properly calibrated during a day that has fairly stable weather, they should prove to be very accurate overall. In varying weather conditions, you will see some variation. Again, it's essential to know the reference altitude to get back on track.

Still, this can vary, and the altimeter watch is not a scientific instrument, but only designed to give you an estimate on current altitude. For example, on a recent trek to Mt Everest Base Camp, I ran a few loggers, including a barometric altimeter, and on the return trek later in the day because I was exhausted, I didn't recalibrate the altimeter at the known peak height, the altimeter log showed an altitude difference of about 10 metres (see here imgur.com/8XrW0iD)

So if you are after an altimeter watch for accurate altitude readings at specific location, without daily calibration, the Casio PRG 270 it is not the right tool for you.

The accuracy of the altimeter when properly calibrated is pretty close when I've compared it with my Suunto Core watches, Garmin handheld GPSs and altitude markers on trails. I usually the watch strapped to my backpack strap when hiking, so it doesn't get thrown out by my body temperature.

Also, I haven't checked how fast the altimeter updates. It seems ok for hiking, but I haven't taken readings and monitored it while bike riding for example. The newer V3 Sensor has reduced the time required to measure altitude from 5 seconds previously to 1 second now, and the altitude measurement unit has been improved from five metres to one metre.

The temperature reading in the barometer was pretty accurate, but I've noticed it can get wierd with rapid changes in temperature. For example, if you have left the watch by the window to solar charge, the temperature will be wrong for about half an hour until the watch and sensor cools down, and you get a more accurate measurement. You should only calibrate the temperature when the watch has cooled to normal temperature, and I have done this with a high accuracy thermometer. The temperature reading it gives includes 1 decimal place. In my Suunto Core, it only displayed the nearest degree, but after calibration, both Suunto watches and the PRG270 are pretty accurate on temperature off wrist.

Altimeter logs - the watch has enough memory to store 30 logs, and 14 trek logs, but I think the Suunto is better here as it can record more.

Compass
========
As with all electronic compasses, it will get interferences from other magnetic sources, and may not be accurate on boats, planes, trains, or even in some buildings where the ferroconcrete magnetism causes inaccurate readings. That said, I have had good experiences with the compass, in those conditions. The magnetic compass can be set for magnetic declination, and you can still display the time in Compass mode. The top section can be set to display the bearing (0°-360°) or the direction (N,S,E,W, etc).

You have to have the watch level with the ground to get an accurate compass reading, and it is easy to calibrate by holding the adjust button down. You should only calibrate when way from other magnetic sources. I do this when I'm starting a hike, away from the car, but always carry a real compass and maps if going out bush.

If you leave it in compass mode it will stop the compass to save battery.

Summary
=======
Overall, for the price, this is a very good triple sensor watch that because of the smaller size from previous Protreks you can use for everyday wear. If you understand the limitations of ABC watches (they are not intended as precision instruments), this is a great first ABC watch.
review image
77 comments| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 15, 2014
I have owned similar models going back to 1994 with each sensor version. I am both a weather fanatic as well as a tech geek. I had moved away from the Casio lines in favor of my Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk AT last year but now that I have received this watch a few weeks ago I find I am wearing this more than 50% of the time. I still love my Eco-Drive and it remains my favorite of my well over 25 watch collection mainly due to its true "all-occasion" appearance (anything from beach to formal wear). This PRG-270 has now taken place as my general wear go-to watch and living in the southeastern U.S. I find having the weather related features to be valuable as we head further into spring.

I previously had the v.2 PAW-1300 ABC Pathfinder version which had been a favorite for several years until the solar rechargeable battery started to lose a bit of its storage capability after about 6 years of regular wear. It wasn't abused or subjected to rough usage but it did get its share of bumps and bangs that occur during everyday use. I frequently used it for swimming in both the ocean and in pools and it also was exposed to water from hand washing and occasional watch cleaning (either thorough fresh water rinses or washing using mild dish detergent and water) and I never had any problems with water or moisture getting inside the case. Even living in a very humid region and exposure to harsh sun intensity didn't seem to affect the watch. Prior to that I had one of the first v.1 models that I wore for several years without any problems until the battery finally died (that model was not solar like my PAW-1300 and the current PRG-270).

What makes this watch such a bargain is the fact that it includes the highly acclaimed v.3 sensor while keeping the ABC + thermo features as well as the Tough Solar option (I will only buy either solar digitals or automatic analogs because opening the case back either compromises the water resistance or requires an expensive battery replacement that also requires a replacement of the gasket/ring that creates the seal.). What makes this watch even better in addition to the improved sensor is the ability to manually set your home location (lat/long coordinates) which makes the sunrise/sunset data accurate. The only thing this watch is really missing is atomic time synchronization. For the price of this watch I can live without it and wouldn't expect that it would be included given all of the other features included. I synchronized the time on my PRG-270 to my Eco-Drive which does have atomic synchronization and after about three weeks it's still within about two seconds so this watch so far appears to keep very accurate time (with the exception of very specific specialized usage I would think that is more than accurate enough for almost all users and is more accurate than even high-end automatic analogs like Rolex and Breitling). This watch is on the large size for its case size but not excessively so that most wearers would not find it awkward or goofy looking. It is also fairly light for a watch of its size and the band size & length are appropriate for its size and the average person.

If atomic synchronization is a must then look at the ProTrek 3000 line and be prepared to spend about $100 more. If you can live without that feature then this is the watch you want if looking for an ABC watch with current sensor technology and solar power. Casio has a well established track record manufacturing these types of watches and a history of reliability and durability as well as continually developing and implementing improved technology over time. I would not hesitate to recommend this watch to anyone.

Just a side note - Most of the negative reviews I have read for this watch and similar other models appeared to be related to that user either not reading the manual and performing the initial setup properly or having unrealistic expectations from this watch. Please do not let them influence your decision to buy or not buy this model. If you do buy then be prepared to spend about 30 minutes or so to properly setup and calibrate the watch using accurate data for your location. Calibrate the temperature with the watch off your wrist at least 20-30 minutes to a known local and accurate thermometer. Do the same with the barometric pressure to a current accurate local reading. Location coordinates and altitude can be obtained easily from a GPS device or online sources (Wikipedia will work for those without access to GPS data or do not know where to obtain that information online.). Once you have accurate information entered I think you will find this watch to be valuable and enjoyable. If using the altitude feature for hiking/climbing you will need to calibrate the altimeter to a known reference at the beginning of your trek and if the weather/barometric pressure is volatile at the time then additional calibration to known reference points may be needed if on an extended trek. That would apply to even the most expensive ABC models so that is not a deficiency of this particular model.
44 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 2, 2016
Firstly, excuse my poor english, it's not my native language.
I originally wanted a G-shock. Till last I realized that my soul coveted not a G-Shock, but a Protrek watch. I ordered one from amazon (was delivered very rapidely, less than 3 days) and waited more than 1 month a friend of mine to bring it to me in my country (Romania) from USA. It's a good looking, awesome watch, simply I love it! The build is OK, seems solid and tough, the plastic don't give the feeling of cheap. It feels very good on wrist, comfortable and light, despite its size. It's a big watch, but even at my thin wrist (despite my 188 cm height) looks very, very good. Very intuitive, I didn't need to read the manual for settings. The only part I will read in manual is the calibration of sensors.
I don't regret at all my choice, because (in my opinion) G-Shocks under 150-200$ are ugly and poor in features.
on October 25, 2015
Use it daily, and when I hike. Bought it on accident, really glad I did. Already making plans to replace it if anything happens to it.
review image
on December 31, 2014
I bought this knowing I did not have an atomic receiver in it, but its my first watch with solar. After one week, I must say the new engine provides better precision on your altimeter functions, in 5' increments vs in the past my older one I believe was 20 foot. now going in, new users must understand, the barometer needs to be set for the stationary location and will remain accurate until location (elevation changes), and altimeter is only accurate when set at the start of your journey with reference elevation and remains accurate for a few hours depending on on quickly the weather pressure is changing. (essentially you use one or the other as one will go inaccurate once the other parameter changes) The thermometer you can set to be accurate while either on your hand or off (by calibration)(but take in account it takes several minutes to adjust if you change the environment it is in) But is accurate when done following its limitations. The display is large, solar has worked great so far (too early to tell longevity, but from what I ready, and a watch with a lot of sensors like this) it should be welcomed feature. Has world time so I can easily switch to UTC and see also local time, easy to change time zones while traveling, oh a great feature if with your known latitude longitude down to one decimal degree it tells you sunrise and sunset!! and you can see it for future or past dates!! I like this. 12 and 24 hour time countdown time that can do hours and minutes, and stopwatch. Those are nice feature that work as advertised. nice easy to read display, larger then some of the g-shocks i initially were shopping for. I am happy to have the sensor features if I need them at any point I can activate their usefulness, oh I forgot, the compass!! it works really well after calibration!!! This you can use anytime (calibrate if you change >200 mi. locations on the earth as magnetic deviation changes) shows you N, E, S, W on rotating display.
review imagereview image
0Comment| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 29, 2017
This is the third watch I have owned in this series. The last one lasted over 10 years through 3 battery replacements. It's still working except for the adjust button; I can't adjust for daylight savings time. LOL Plus the watch band was the fabric one and was getting weathered and frayed. This new watch has the plastic band which I will replace with the fabric band soon. My first watch in this series had the plastic band and when it broke, I couldn't find a replacement band so I got a new watch. Don't get me wrong, the first watch band lasted a long time and the watch bands are now available. It's just that the fabric band on the second watch lasted for the entire 10 + years I have had that watch. So fabric will replace the plastic band soon.

Just remember that the sensors in this watch are ANALOG sensors and are subject to the ANALOG environment around it. If you are going to use it for hiking, traveling, or any kind of recreation, just remember to check and adjust the watch at known reference points often.

As for the watch its self, I think it says all that I have to say about them, with this being my third one.
on February 26, 2016
Casio hit a home run offering a watch with features that should cost almost twice the cost. Problem is this watch kept resetting and I was very frustrated with the fact that this occurred randomly. Instant return
on August 28, 2016
Purchased this watch for an extended hike into the Wyoming wilderness high country. It served its purpose very well. The Altimeter and Barometer functions needed to be regularly adjusted but this was not a surprise as I read other reviews and was not a problem for us. Kept excellent time, compass worked well but we did not really need it much. Barometer had to be reset a couple of times after it stopped working. Never learned why. This is what kept it from getting 5 stars. Waterproof and solar power were good features that never let us down. Funtions are easy to use and we discovered the alarm was more iseful than we originally thought. Would definitely buy again. This is a bargain for the price. Other watches and items with better features were priced hundreds of dollars more and for us not woth the extra $$$'s. This watch took a beating and kept on ticking whichbis all you can ask. Watch is now residing in San Diego where my daughter is subjecting it to regular salt water surfing and swimming with no issues.
on September 21, 2016
I got this watch for hiking after reading the reviews. It's fun to use but the altimeter is not very accurate at all. Just for the heck of it I down loaded 3 altitude apps from the internet that use GPS coordinates to find the altitude. All 3 apps show the exact same altitude, unfortunately my watch never agrees and in fact, is always 80-90 feet off. So I don't trust the watch'S altimeter. But everything seems to work pretty good. The temperature seems accurate and I really like the compass, barometer, and Sunset/Sunrise feature. I also like how light and comfortable the watch is to wear. Lastly, I like the night light feature and the fact the user can set the duration for this light. All in all it's a very good watch for hiking but I question the altimeter accuracy.
on November 5, 2014
This is a good watch that provides solid value for your money. As the entry level in the Pro-Trek series, it gives good functionality at a reasonable price. I was really torn between replacing my previously owned Mudman 9000ms with another or, with this watch. I preferred the band of the 9000ms (I actually liked the nubs on the back) but, the readability of the PRG-270 is much, much better. It is very readable in bright light or at night using the back light. The band however, is not as comfortable and frequently pinches and pulls. I had reservations about a solar battery but, it has worked fine thus far, showing a full charge despite my wearing long sleeves most of the time. I'm not a mountain trekker, just someone who lives and works at high altitude. I can't really speak to compass functionality or temperature but, altitude and barometer work fine for my purposes. Keep in mind that altitude is displayed in meters, if you need to know feet, you'll need to multiply by 3.280. This is a mild inconvenience but, it is what it is. Lastly, the manual... printing a booklet this small is simply ridiculous. I have to pull it up online to enlarge it or start looking for a magnifying glass. This is supposed to be a manual, not a used car finance contract.

Summing up, great value for the price but, take off a star for the band and the manual.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse