GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited

Showing 1-10 of 375 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 396 reviews
on March 2, 2014
I decided to put this review up as a few reviewers have issues with the accuracy of the altimeter readings, and may not understand the limitations of these watches:

Design
======
The PRG270 is smaller than some of the older Protrek models, due to the smaller sensor, and they have moved the sensor location from the 10 o'clock to the 9 o'clock position. The triple sensor makes these watches sometimes called ABC watches as they have Altitude, Barometer & Compass readouts. The smaller design makes it easier to wear everyday, however the face is still relatively busy, with the case having front raised sections (at the 12, 3, 6 & 9) with indents. The sensor at the 9 o'clock position sits higher than the raised section at the 3 o'clock position. The crystal is recessed nicely as usual on Casio G-Shocks and Protreks.

I wish the design could look more like the PRW3000, which is cleaner and more stylish IMHO Casio Men's PRW-3000-1ACR Protrek Digital Display Japanese Quartz Black Watch, but is also 3 times more expensive. The display is similar to the other Protreks, divided into three sections. The top section has a dotmatrix display and can show the date, or altitude/barometric graphs, the middle section is the time, and the lower section is the seconds.

The watch is light, mine weighs about 67 grams (2.36 ounces), and has 10Bar water resistance, which means it is ok in a rain shower, or shallow swim, but it wouldn't be ok with a scuba dive. I have only had this watch in the rain, and it functions fine.

One issue with the PRG270 is the strap uses a 18mm spring lug, so if you wanted to put a wider Nato/Zulu strap, you'd need an adapter.

Features
=======
- EL backlight, this is nice and bright, and the EL button is still on the front, they have moved the adjust button on older Protreks from the front to the 10 o'clock position. You can still set this for Automatic, and set it for 1 or 3 second display.
- Date display - on the Time display, you can change date to Day&Date, or Month&Date, or Barometric Graph only (no date).
- Setting time - this is a breeze. when you get the watch is preset to Tokyo time. Changing the Time zone to your location, and checking if Daylight Saving Time (DST) applies, and voila - the time is set and easy to change if you travel. The secondary timezone is set by picking various preset cities. I have not had any issue with the time accuracy so far.
- Stopwatch/Countdown TImer (24 hours max)/Alarm - All standard, but the alarm lets you have 5 individual alarms, and the alarm is louder and longer than my Suunto Core watches.
- Sunrise/Sunset - this is also a breeze to set. The PRG270 lets you input the longitude and latitude of your location for accurate sunrise/sunset times. Compared with my Suunto Core watches which only lets me choose nearest cities.
- Power save - I have set this to on, and the watch will display will go off overnight, or after a period of unuse to conserve battery. You can wake it up by pressing any button.

Altimeter/Barometer (This is from my previous reply comment to a review on the altimeter readings)
=======

All altimeter watches without GPS embedded will calculate the estimate of altitude by changes in air (barometric) pressure.

Air pressure can change due to many things, like change in elevation, change in weather, your physical location and wind. So for example, if you get a low pressure system coming through over night, while you leave your watch on the table, it could appear that you have ascended a few hundred feet in your sleep. Similarly, if you take the watch on a commercial airplane, it will not give you a reading on the actual altitude, but a lower altitude, based on the pressure within the cabin. If you fly in an unpressurized aircraft, it will give you a more accurate altitude reading. I have taken a Suunto Core with me when I've been in a few prop aircraft, and used it as a secondary altimeter in skydiving, and it has been fairly accurate after calibration. I'll take the Casio up next time and see how it goes.

Also, I have found that the altimeter and barometer readings tend to vary with temperature, and gives marginally more accurate readings off the wrist especially if I have been hiking and my wrist is warm.

I also have a few Suunto Core watches, and the Suunto Core is quite clever in the way it calculates the altitude. If you leave it in altitude logging, it will gain elevation as you physically climb up, as the barometric pressure changes faster than it does when the weather changes, so it realises you are climbing. But once you stop climbing for a while, it realises this and any slight air pressure changes it takes as weather change, and not altitude gain or loss. The Casio doesn't have this feature.

For accurate altimeter readings you still need to calibrate your altimeter watch to your reference altitude on a fairly regular basis. I do this when I want to log altitudes before a hike/climb. An easy way to do this is to check Google Earth which gives accurate altitude readings when you put your location. You can then calibrate the barometric pressure from your local meteorology service (I take mine from their website on the day I calibrate).

If kept properly calibrated during a day that has fairly stable weather, they should prove to be very accurate overall. In varying weather conditions, you will see some variation. Again, it's essential to know the reference altitude to get back on track.

Still, this can vary, and the altimeter watch is not a scientific instrument, but only designed to give you an estimate on current altitude. For example, on a recent trek to Mt Everest Base Camp, I ran a few loggers, including a barometric altimeter, and on the return trek later in the day because I was exhausted, I didn't recalibrate the altimeter at the known peak height, the altimeter log showed an altitude difference of about 10 metres (see here imgur.com/8XrW0iD)

So if you are after an altimeter watch for accurate altitude readings at specific location, without daily calibration, the Casio PRG 270 it is not the right tool for you.

The accuracy of the altimeter when properly calibrated is pretty close when I've compared it with my Suunto Core watches, Garmin handheld GPSs and altitude markers on trails. I usually the watch strapped to my backpack strap when hiking, so it doesn't get thrown out by my body temperature.

Also, I haven't checked how fast the altimeter updates. It seems ok for hiking, but I haven't taken readings and monitored it while bike riding for example. The newer V3 Sensor has reduced the time required to measure altitude from 5 seconds previously to 1 second now, and the altitude measurement unit has been improved from five metres to one metre.

The temperature reading in the barometer was pretty accurate, but I've noticed it can get wierd with rapid changes in temperature. For example, if you have left the watch by the window to solar charge, the temperature will be wrong for about half an hour until the watch and sensor cools down, and you get a more accurate measurement. You should only calibrate the temperature when the watch has cooled to normal temperature, and I have done this with a high accuracy thermometer. The temperature reading it gives includes 1 decimal place. In my Suunto Core, it only displayed the nearest degree, but after calibration, both Suunto watches and the PRG270 are pretty accurate on temperature off wrist.

Altimeter logs - the watch has enough memory to store 30 logs, and 14 trek logs, but I think the Suunto is better here as it can record more.

Compass
========
As with all electronic compasses, it will get interferences from other magnetic sources, and may not be accurate on boats, planes, trains, or even in some buildings where the ferroconcrete magnetism causes inaccurate readings. That said, I have had good experiences with the compass, in those conditions. The magnetic compass can be set for magnetic declination, and you can still display the time in Compass mode. The top section can be set to display the bearing (0°-360°) or the direction (N,S,E,W, etc).

You have to have the watch level with the ground to get an accurate compass reading, and it is easy to calibrate by holding the adjust button down. You should only calibrate when way from other magnetic sources. I do this when I'm starting a hike, away from the car, but always carry a real compass and maps if going out bush.

If you leave it in compass mode it will stop the compass to save battery.

Summary
=======
Overall, for the price, this is a very good triple sensor watch that because of the smaller size from previous Protreks you can use for everyday wear. If you understand the limitations of ABC watches (they are not intended as precision instruments), this is a great first ABC watch.
review image
77 comments| 205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2015
This is my third ABC watch; I also have the original 'Pathfinder' and a Suunto Vector. Here's a few reasons why which might help you make your decision to buy this:

- This watch is just the right size; big enough to operate with heavy winter gloves but not comically large.
- The response time from button push to readout is very quick with this third generation sensor, about a second.
- Unlike my other ABCs, I'm not concerned with draining the battery by taking frequent readings because this one is solar powered. - The battery life is estimated by Casio at 6 years, based on # of charging cycles and battery 'memory'.
- The auto-light which activates when I flick my wrist is nice for one handed viewing at night. I don't find it too bright. User can select 1/5 or 3 seconds.
- I like having the Sunrise/Sunset data one button push away (bottom right button while in time mode). I find myself checking it every few days to observe how that cycle is changing.
- Like other ABCs, it shows pressure trends so basic forecasting can be done (assuming true altitude has been relatively constant)
- The altimeter is more sensitive and precise than my other ABCs. Like some other reviewers have mentioned I can raise the watch and watch the altitude readout change by ONE meter, then back down again.

The altimeter is 'precise', but to be 'accurate' you must tell it the current altitude before you start your climb. These watches interpolate altitude from a pressure/altitude lapse rate formula. The readout will track that ratio perfectly accurately, but that lapse rate (m/milibar) is only accurate in a NOAA 'standard atmosphere', which is a nominal average. Real world lapse rates vary and so will your indicated altitude for various reasons (which are all interesting to learn about). For example on a colder than standard day it will read high, and on a hotter than standard day it will read low.

This watch IMO would be a great tool for a child or anyone who wants to studying many interesting subjects, lapse rates, adiabatic cooling, pressure effects on weather, and so on. Calibrating the altitude is simple, press the set button and increment the readout to your current known altitude. Having to tell an ABC watch the altitude is not absurd, and works as follows: on a recent climb of Fuji my group started from the station 5 bus terminal which we knew to be 2,300m. The summit is at 3776m and there are huts every few hundred meters of elevation. It was nice to know how 'far' until the next hut, especially the one we slept at, and then how far to the summit. A simple calculation using the altitude and time from the watch such as 'the previous 100m took one hour' gave a rough estimate of ETA; which helped to keep the group motivated.

After years of using these watches, I wish Casio would incorporate one feature which I call 'altitude lock' or 'base-camp lock'. If the user knows his/her true altitude will not change for several hours, he should be able to lock the altitude readout at its current value. Any attempt to use the altimeter would show "LOCK". Then, when the climb resumed the next morning, the indicated altitude would NOT have drifted up or down due to weather changes over the past several hours; it would not be any less accurate than it was the moment the watch was locked. The new Suunto Core might have this. But one can't have it all for about $100.

For what I paid, $104.99, this watch is an incredible deal; especially since I won't be spending valuable time and real money on batteries for several years.
on December 31, 2014
I bought this knowing I did not have an atomic receiver in it, but its my first watch with solar. After one week, I must say the new engine provides better precision on your altimeter functions, in 5' increments vs in the past my older one I believe was 20 foot. now going in, new users must understand, the barometer needs to be set for the stationary location and will remain accurate until location (elevation changes), and altimeter is only accurate when set at the start of your journey with reference elevation and remains accurate for a few hours depending on on quickly the weather pressure is changing. (essentially you use one or the other as one will go inaccurate once the other parameter changes) The thermometer you can set to be accurate while either on your hand or off (by calibration)(but take in account it takes several minutes to adjust if you change the environment it is in) But is accurate when done following its limitations. The display is large, solar has worked great so far (too early to tell longevity, but from what I ready, and a watch with a lot of sensors like this) it should be welcomed feature. Has world time so I can easily switch to UTC and see also local time, easy to change time zones while traveling, oh a great feature if with your known latitude longitude down to one decimal degree it tells you sunrise and sunset!! and you can see it for future or past dates!! I like this. 12 and 24 hour time countdown time that can do hours and minutes, and stopwatch. Those are nice feature that work as advertised. nice easy to read display, larger then some of the g-shocks i initially were shopping for. I am happy to have the sensor features if I need them at any point I can activate their usefulness, oh I forgot, the compass!! it works really well after calibration!!! This you can use anytime (calibrate if you change >200 mi. locations on the earth as magnetic deviation changes) shows you N, E, S, W on rotating display.
review image review image
on March 21, 2016
Unfortunately as others report, the watch occasionally resets everything to "zero" meaning you have to go through the entire set-up procedure. The battery shows "H" and I have repeatedly left it in the sun to assure a full battery. I have had the watch 3 months and it has done this 4 times. If it were not for this problem, I would have given it 4 stars, but this problem makes the watch almost useless. Resets have occurred both when being worn and when off my arm for the night. I will send it in for warranty service and see what happens.
on January 30, 2016
I love these watches. I also have the PRG-270D-7CR version which looks a little classier for the office, and recently added the GW-9400-1CR model which is actually so nice that I'll probably only use it when hiking and cycling. So I got this PRG-270-1 model for everyday use and as kind of a "beater" so I won't get miffed if it gets scratched, etc. These watches are great. I especially like the barometer for tracking weather trends, and the pressure alert works very well: if you know a storm is on the way soon or you see the barometer trending up or down, you can use the alerts to let you know when sudden or critical changes are occurring. You have to take the watch off for 20 mins for accurate temperature readings, but I understand the limitations of the technology. The altimeter works ok, as does the compass. For most of these features it's necessary to calibrate them before any real use. But this technology is as good as it gets unless you jump up to a GPS watch, and those are quite expensive, often have software bugs, require regular updates, and include an array of functions often more complex than they're worth. I've had the Samsung Galaxy Neo 2 and the Gear S smartwatches, and after a few months was left underwhelmed by their performance once the novelty wore off. You'll pay hundreds of dollars for one and within 18 months it'll be outdated and replaced by a "newer, better" model. No thanks. I'd rather have one of these Casio's that give me only the info I really need at a glance, and don't require daily recharging (downtime). They may not be "cutting edge technology", but they perform without any hassles and are far less expensive. I'm done with so-called "smart" watches. I prefer "useful" watches. YMMV

Cons:
-I wish these watches had atomic timekeeping. They keep accurate time, but you have to manually adjust Daylight Savings Time and changes in time zone. However, atomic timekeeping models do cost more.
-The end of the watch band is nearly impossible to get through the retainer loop when taking the watch off, so much so, that I'm concerned the band might break from the amount of force required.
-I wish the snooze alarm had the ability to select the days of the week you wanted it to sound, such as M-F.
-I wish Casio would realize that the top button should be FORWARD and the bottom button should be REVERSE. They have this backwards on all of their ABC watches, and others as well.

Otherwise these watches are fabulous. Highly recommended!
on June 11, 2014
I've had the PRG-270-1 for only a few weeks so I cannot speak to its durability. However, I've got a few comments, mostly aligned on what previous reviewers have mentioned.

+ Price: An ABC protrek, with solar power, and V3 sensors for $115? Good luck matching this one. Amazon's price is by far the best; There are quite a few places out there where you could find a watch not as well equipped for much more...
+ Features: the usual of a good ABC watch; nothing really missing as far as functionality is concerned. A lot of customization is possible
+ Display: I went for the dark over light background; there's a different version that has an inverse display but I didn't want to take the risk of poor legibility in bright light (Suunto is notorious for this...)
+ Pretty Intuitive for a First time ABC user: you've got to read the manual to figure out the basic operation of the watch. Once you spend 10-15 minutes playing, everything kind of falls into place. I'm sure former Casio user can skip this step
+ Battery life: pretty happy with the solar charge. Had the watch for 2 weeks in a drawer, it's still at the max level of battery

= Size: the watch is bulky; weight is acceptable (we're talking about a $115 watch so don't expect ultra-light). I've got wrists smaller than the average guy - it is however very wearable as the band is easy to adjust.
= Band comfort: the band is stiff right off the box; given how thick it is, I don't expect it to loosen much, unfortunately. I haven't found too many instructions as to how to replace the band, say with NATO.

- Not atomic: not a big deal for me, may be for others
- Some of the indications are really, really small and hard to read (like units and a few other symbols). I've got a really good sight and I'm sometimes struggling. This won't matter after you configure the watch though, since you'll remember your settings

A few additional notes: the thermo and alti function will be inaccurate due to inherent design choices made by Casio. I'm not saying these are flaws but I always come accross the occasional comment that mentions that the readings are off.
For the temp: body heat WILL alter the reading. For an accurate reading, take the watch off your wrists, for a few minutes, then take a reading (if it's a hot and sunny day, make sure that the watch is in the shade)
For the alti: because the watch uses atm pressure readings to derive alti, your readings are essentially dependent on the weather. Make sure your calibrate accordingly, but don't rely too much on this. In complement, use your nav skills and your GPS.

Overall, a great watch for a really good price. In my (long) search for a rugged watch, I haven't comme accross any watch that matched this very model. G shocks are out of the equation since not ABCs; Suunto are more expensive and flawed with annoying issues (see Suunto core display or waterproofing).
on August 10, 2016
pros:
* larger time display, easy to read at a glance less cluttered.
* holds charge well
* light works well
* compass is pretty accurate when calibrated.
* comfortable

Cons:
* like most ABC warches it's fairly inconsistent with its readings in terms of elevation and of course temperature.
NOTE: I am not a novice to this type of equipment. The dependability of the measurements is not going to be very helpful unless constant calibration is done. The barometer and compass are its best functions. The altimeter and temperature fluctuate too much to be useful. I wish Casio would create watched that had more of a timex display to them. The small, over crowded displays are what hold most Casio watches back from being almost perfect. I have many g shocks and I like them all but they all have two weaknesses 1. Reason too small. 2. Bands tend to be too dedicated to the watch not giving the user any choice.

I'd love this watch if they could resolve some of the consistency issues. That's pretty much a problem with most any ABC watch.
on January 4, 2015
Well theres a lot of details I can get into on this watch, since I use it for backpacking. Overall if you can get the watch of $100 or less Id recommend it for the price and what it can do.

-so, the time features work fine on it and keeps great time (not atomic). the time and date are so easy to read with the light, that its really nice for everyday wear.
-The alarm sound is not very loud, and so it won't wake you up and can't hear it in loud situations.
-the sunrise/sunset works fine, after programing in latitude/longitude.
-the compass feature works fine…it seems to work the same as other casio pro treks. and you can calibrate it for declination in your area.
-the barometer is both good and bad. Overall it works fine, and correctly measures low/high pressure trends. However the barometer chart area on the watch seems smaller than some other older pro treks, and therefore not as easy to read while hiking. Also if only 1 or 2 squares are showing on the graph, not as easy to read.
-Also the barometer gets funky if you are changing elevation while hiking fast. It will only show 1 or 2 squares of reading while changing elevation, therefore the trend pattern is not showing. But it will get back to normal when you stop hiking/changing elevation. (I think this may be normal for the obvious reason that pressure is changing with the elevation changes while you are moving/hiking--but Ive never noticed this issue before in other Protrek watches.)
-The altimeter is just like other pressure sensor altimeters…it works ok, but not totally accurate like a GPS altimeter. It is good to use for elevation trends (up/down, etc), while on a hiking/backpacking trip. But just like all other similar watches, including Suunto, the elevation will 'drift' as weather changes,etc.
-the temperature feature works when u take off the watch and let sit for 20 mins. and it can be calibrated to match other thermometers.
-the waterproofing, light and solar features are nice and seem to work well.

Overall for the price of $100 I don't think there are better ABC watches. I mainly use mine for time/date, sunrise/sunset, compass, and barometer trend graph and sometimes for the altitude trends. In addition, Ive owned a Suunto Core watch in the past and some might say those are better than Casio pro treks…I strongly disagree. The Suunto watch I had would totally freak out and go BLANK screen for no apparent reason! I would have to take the battery out and put back in to get it to work again. Also the altimeter would drift just like all other pressure sensor watches….unless perhaps I just got a bad malfunctioning one. I have read other reviews that said the same about the Suunto Core watch.
on March 29, 2017
This is the third watch I have owned in this series. The last one lasted over 10 years through 3 battery replacements. It's still working except for the adjust button; I can't adjust for daylight savings time. LOL Plus the watch band was the fabric one and was getting weathered and frayed. This new watch has the plastic band which I will replace with the fabric band soon. My first watch in this series had the plastic band and when it broke, I couldn't find a replacement band so I got a new watch. Don't get me wrong, the first watch band lasted a long time and the watch bands are now available. It's just that the fabric band on the second watch lasted for the entire 10 + years I have had that watch. So fabric will replace the plastic band soon.

Just remember that the sensors in this watch are ANALOG sensors and are subject to the ANALOG environment around it. If you are going to use it for hiking, traveling, or any kind of recreation, just remember to check and adjust the watch at known reference points often.

As for the watch its self, I think it says all that I have to say about them, with this being my third one.
on February 26, 2016
Casio hit a home run offering a watch with features that should cost almost twice the cost. Problem is this watch kept resetting and I was very frustrated with the fact that this occurred randomly. Instant return