Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 25, 2017
This is a nice watch. It is a little large on the wrist but it is not heavy. It feels nice on the wrist and I don't notice the size. I bought this for the weather features, compass, and solar charging. The watch had tons of features and I still have not mastered all of them in four days I have had it. There are lots of YouTube videos on the features and my watch DOES work as described in the manual.

CONS:
Temperature is inaccurate and you must remove it for 20-30 minutes for a true reading. So that is worthless.

The altimeter can't be trusted. You must manually calibrate this feature often. It is tied to the barometer and after a day of unchanged altitude my watch went from 620 ft to 840 ft. (The watch isn't broken, it says this will happen with the temp and altimeter in the manual. I also have another Casio with the altimeter function and it displays the exact same inaccurate altimeter readings)

WARNING:
When changing out the watch band links be very careful. There is a tiny internal sleeve that lives in the center of the link. It is very easy to lose and if you drop it the odds of finding it are extremely low. Once that sleeve is gone, that link is unusable.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 17, 2012
I am very satisfied with PRW2500T-7CR after looking at a multitude of other watches. First of all, I was looking for a watch that could be used for sailing (both cruising and racing)on my 27' x 19' trimaran. I needed a watch that was stylish enough for everyday use that had the following features:

Required Features
- Compass for checking heading when away from the cockpit
- Barometer with history function for weather monitoring
- Tide prediction for navigation
- Race sequence countdown timer
- Must be waterproof

Bonus Features
- Solar powered
- Atomic clock synchronization
- Moon phase prediction
- Altimeter for when I go hiking on the AT

At night, it has a function that automatically turns the back light when you look at the watch without having to push anything. The PRW2500T-7CR met all of my needs at a reasonable price.

You will need to get the watch sized as it ships with all the titanium segments installed on the band. Went to a local jewelry store where they re-sized while I waited using a special tool and didn't charge me anything.

Here's the caveat with the tides function. The display is designed for semi-diurnal tides, which is when there are two high tides and two low tides per day. If you use the watch in an area that has diurnal tides, which is when there is only one high and one low tide per day, you have to understand that low tide occurs when the display shows the second high tide for the day. The following is a link to where diurnal occur in the US.

[...]

No one has commented on the race countdown, so here's some more detail. You can set the sequence to 10 minute, 5 minute, 4 minute, etc... The watch beeps each minute until the last ten seconds. During the last 10 seconds it beeps each second with the tone of the beeps changing between 10,9,8,7,6 and 5,4,3,2,1. 0 is a single tone that stops without having to push anything. It is also nice that it displays the local time during the sequence as well.
44 comments| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 4, 2014
I bought this watch from Amazon last November...right before I left on a Military deployment to Afghanistan. I use the compass, barometer and compass often. I used the compass on some compass-courses during the deployment work-ups...it did "OK" and got me in the general area, but it wasn't quite as accurate as the hand-held military issue ones that we used for the course. For accurate temperature readings you really have to take the watch off your wrist and let it sit for 5 or so minutes so that it doesn't pick up your body temperature. For the past 6 months or so, the watch has held up pretty well, with exception of the bezel, which seems to get scratched quite easily (as other reviewers have mentioned). The barometer trend is useful in indicating if the weather is turning on you. I don’t really use the altimeter much…it seems to “jump around” a bit. My understanding is that it utilizes temperature and pressure to determine the altitude…I’m not sure how accurate that is when the watch is picking up my body temperature and is covered by my uniform.
Some Pros/Cons:
Pros:
- It actually has the KBL (Kabul, Afghanistan) time zone! For those of you familiar with this time zone…it is 10.5 hours ahead of Mountain Time.
- Solar is a nice feature although, I will have to say that it ran out of power on me about a month ago (actually 2 times). It does say it will go approx. 5 months in the dark with a full charge, so I guess that is somewhat accurate. The watch is covered by my uniform most of the time; I do wear a T-shirt in my office for several hours a day, so it is exposed to fluorescent light, but I guess it is not enough to keep it charged. Anytime outside I have on my fatigues with long sleeve, so it doesn’t get any charging from the sun. If I see the battery go low now, I will put it on my window sill for the day and it seems to charge it right up.
- As mentioned above…temp, pressure and compass is definitely nice to have on you at all times!
- Nice looking watch
- Screen is clear and easy to read.
- Crystal is pretty tough…although the bezel looks worn; there are no scratches on the crystal. I do have to admit that I do not baby the watch…I’m pretty tough on it.
- It is comfortable and light weight and I think the size it just about right, I wouldn’t want it smaller or larger.
- 2 time zones are nice…I keep the primary on Kabul and the alternate on DEN so I can see what time it is back home.

Cons:
- Bezel scratches easily and the band also scratches, so it looks pretty worn.
- Battery runs out…you just need to make sure you keep an eye on the charge and if you see it going low, leave it exposed to light for a while.
- Altitude gives you a good “general” reading, but I would not call it accurate. Currently it is showing 5800 ft in Kabul, Afghanistan, which is within 100ft accuracy (I think that I’m sitting at 5873ft right now).
- I dropped the watch putting it one once and the band detached from the watch on one side. The pin shot out, but I eventually found it. This might have been a fluke, since it hasn’t happened since.

Overall, it is a good watch. If I had to do it again, I would probably by the same watch with the resin band in black…that is a little more subdued in color and better for military use.
on January 15, 2017
paint not held up, so it shows pretty beat up cosmetically and quickly. i thot buying premium titanium version would help hold up but it doesn't. hate that it never is never homed to home screen, always have to switch screens. hate that it's so big, can't ever fit under shirt sleeve. Find I have to take it off all the time for computer/typing work, but that would be the case with any watch. it's generally very comfy and non-irritating when wearing, so long as your sleeves are loose. i have to remember where light switch is and light doesn't turn on long... only about a second, not very long at all. otherwise fine and it's a good watch. i rely on it a lot. i love the compass feature and use it a lot when in new places and need to get bearings. i love the time auto sync feature so time is always set to atomic clocks. i do use the dual time zones at times too. i love checking out the moon phases and tide charts when fishing and many times the barometric pressure guage too. temp is not so usable... temp will register more to your body temp if not set in the water or on a rock or something for a long time. I think when timing lake temps/fishing it took about 15 mins as I remember to get a final static reading, which seemed too long when sitting on cold rocks in the wind just waiting on a temp. i'm not a climber/hiker much so only used the altimeter a few times but did find it of of use when hiking or climbing stairs or just monitoring it other times. i do like the look and feel of the watch and i use it and rely on it daily, even if just for time. i've had it submerged/underwater/wet many times no issues.

update after about 2-3 years 6/2017. this is still my main watch, and it's comfy and lightweight. the bezel has shown 'rugged' wear and chipping. unless you really take the time to learn the buttons for the functions, it's not intuitively useful 'on demand' except in a few cases other than time, i find the compass incredibly useful to get my bearings when traveling though. the alarm is not loud and i wouldn't rely on it. i hate the light which goes off right away, doesn't stay on at all when you are trying to work with the d*mn watch in the dark. . you can pretty much forget about tides and trying to correlate those with coastal fishing and solunar periods--there is just too much variability here for a watch. i don't hike much but the limited testing and use of the altimeter has put me way off at times so i've not found much use for it anyways except play. the barometer is nice although it seems to jump around a lot. i still try to correlate it with fishing though and it seems useful although i really worry about accuracy. moon phases are interesting but not as useful as accurate tides would be to me on a watch. at least i don't have to charge it and pay for batteries and it auto-syncs to atomic clock time. so it's been really nice in convenience in that regard. i'm keeping my 4 star status... it has a lot of complexity and isn't as usable as i would have liked and doesn't show like a high end watch, but is still functional in a lot of ways and very useful.
I just purchased this watch and will probably return it. This review therefore is based on initial impressions rather than long-term use. I have been wearing an old pathfinder fishing watch for years that I love as it has moonrise/set, sunrise/set, AND moon phase icon. As an astronomer, I love having these data so handy. Unfortunately, this watch is discontinued, and the bands wear out and fall apart and are not replaceable. I've actually bought 4 of these watches due to bands breaking! (Fortunately, they're cheap enough (or were) that this is reasonable). However, the pathfinder didn't look particularly elegant for work, so I wanted to find something a little dressier that still provided functions I like. The Protrek PRW-2500 adds the triple sensor functions I didn't have but you lose sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset - all you get is moon phase and age. You also get tide info but I don't care about that. Unfortunately, there are no current models that have both sunrise and moon phase data, and there are NO models that have moonrise/set times.
So the 2500 looks fairly nice with the metal band (at least, when new) although it still has a bit of a clunky appearance due to the large black buttons. But the deal breaker for me is the display. Compared to my old pathfinder, the display is very low contrast -- this may be due to the dual layer LCD screen that provides the graphics. Even in good indoor light, I find the display very difficult to read - and turning on the light doesn't help that much. This is worsened by the fact that the time takes up only about a third of the display. You can have either tide or date in the middle section of the screen, but in either case, the actual time of day is too small. I look at the time much more often than the date. Between the size and contrast, I find myself straining to read the watch. (I'm 57 so perhaps younger eyes will do better -- but generally I see just fine and I have not had this experience with the pathfinder which is easy to glance at and see time).
I'm going to return this and look for one with either analog time keeping or a non-dual display which hopefully will be higher contrast.
on June 20, 2015
**UPDATED 8-1-2015**
Well after only a couple of months I experienced the same thing many other reviewers have noted - paint scraped easily off of the directional ring and other spots on the case. I certainly wouldn't use the word "tough" to describe. No problems with functions but for this kind of money I would have expected the finish to hold up better. Have not subjected the watch to anything other than normal wear, so that is not an issue.

I love the outdoors hiking, etc. and purchased this mostly for the ABC features. Great looking watch with many features and I'm looking forward to getting "out there" and wearing it on many outdoor adventures.

One caveat, the product details indicate that the case is stainless steel, however that's only the back. The ring that the bezel is seated in may be titanium or stainless. The body of the case appears to be resin plastic. That's fine; because of the size it would be much heavier (and much less comfortable) with a full metal case, even titanium. Amazon please update your product specs. because it's a little misleading and customers looking for a full metal case are going to be disappointed.
on December 28, 2015
I got it. Set up the time zone. Then adjusted the band. It's easy to do. Just remember to follow the arrows and don't forget about the little retaining collar in the link. It was easy. All you need is a paper clip and long nose pliers. I keep it set up with the tide Chart on always. Love that feature with the moon phase showing as well. This a happening watch with unparalleled functionality. Triple sensor gives you compass, Barometer, and altitude. I wish the display was a little more tactical looking but the information you need is there. Nice work on this one Casio.

Update, after owning this for two years I must say that the quality is exeptional. I never take it off. Wear it in the shower, swimming, in the woods, mountains, working in brutal environments. It gets knocked around a lot and still looks and performs great. The compass is a great tool and will get you back to the truck if you know what you're doing. The barometric pressure graph will tell you if bad weather is coming. And the moon and tide features are nice. Don't believe the negative reviews about the titanium band adjustments. Its easy if you follow directions.
on March 27, 2015
I love this watch already and I've only had it a few days, the titanium band is an absolute must in my opinion. You can tell that this watch screams quality it's got a bunch of features while you may not use them all daily it's just a nice option. I have a lesser model Casio also with the titanium band it's only drawback is it has a plastic part that attaches to the watch itself and that just recently broke but the watch is still running after 10 years of use. I bought this watch as an upgrade and I'm happy to report it still has a plastic part for comfort but once you see the way it's incorporated you can clearly see it's not the structural part the main part is actually metal and the plastic part just meets the watch at the joining of the band. My plans are still to replace that part in my old watch and use it as my more rugged watch for activities that I might not want to risk this new watch. But judging by the old watch I pro don't have to worry too much. I will say the drawback of this watch is how insanely hard it is to take links out, I mean seriously they made it so you need to use a small paper clip and they also have these really small sleeves that go with the pin that would be really easy to lose if you don't know they're there so be warned but I will say while it makes it a pain to change it does inhance the look. I must say I look forward to years of use and hope it manages to hold as well as my old watch.
on January 26, 2014
My main gripe about this watch is that the case is not made of metal, just resin. It does seem to have a metal ring. I chose this model be cause amazon listed the case material as titanium so I am ranking it down a couple for bad info by casio. I found this out on other sites/forums where people mentioned it but it was too late for me to cancel the order, I had already re-sized the band. Had I known this I would not have bought it.
on August 26, 2017
Well. As much as I hated to do it, this watch is on its way back to Amazon for return and refund.
I was so anxious to get it and thrilled with all the features until I came to the alarm function.
I own several Pathfinders and am pleased with all of them but decided to treat myself and trade up to the "flagship", (their word, not mine), Pro Trek PRW-2500T-7CR.
After several days of putting it through its paces, I was extremely pleased with all the functions I went through, the last, being the alarm function.
That's when my critique went South.
I set the 5 alarms at one-minute intervals. When the first one went off, I thought I set it incorrectly because I didn't hear anything.
Then number 2 went off and I still couldn't hear anything so I held the watch to my ear for number 3 and that's when I heard the softest beep.
Needless to say, numbers four and five produced the same result leaving me dumbfounded.
Convinced my watch was defective, I called Casio High Tech Support only to be told the alarm sound is a factory set default that cannot be changed.
In other words, 'deal with it'.
Now, I'm a Senior who has learned almost nothing is ever perfect, and sometimes you need to lower your standards.
But, believe me, when I tell you, with this watch on your wrist, when the alarm goes off, should you be engaged in any of life's daily activities:
having a conversation.
watching TV.
talking to someone in a coffee shop.
going for a walk, you get the idea.
You won't hear a thing.
I'm sorry, for a $400.00 retail watch with a totally inaudible alarm function, color me stupid if I make a concession of that magnitude.
I take meds several times a day and the alarms are what stand between me and missing a dose.
How Casio can produce a watch with so many desirable functions and fall flat on an important one is beyond me.
My Pathfinder PAG40 has an alarm you can hear two rooms away.
Well, as the saying goes, 'Caveat Emptor'.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse