Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on April 25, 2017
This is a nice watch. It is a little large on the wrist but it is not heavy. It feels nice on the wrist and I don't notice the size. I bought this for the weather features, compass, and solar charging. The watch had tons of features and I still have not mastered all of them in four days I have had it. There are lots of YouTube videos on the features and my watch DOES work as described in the manual.

CONS:
Temperature is inaccurate and you must remove it for 20-30 minutes for a true reading. So that is worthless.

The altimeter can't be trusted. You must manually calibrate this feature often. It is tied to the barometer and after a day of unchanged altitude my watch went from 620 ft to 840 ft. (The watch isn't broken, it says this will happen with the temp and altimeter in the manual. I also have another Casio with the altimeter function and it displays the exact same inaccurate altimeter readings)

WARNING:
When changing out the watch band links be very careful. There is a tiny internal sleeve that lives in the center of the link. It is very easy to lose and if you drop it the odds of finding it are extremely low. Once that sleeve is gone, that link is unusable.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
15 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on June 4, 2014
I bought this watch from Amazon last November...right before I left on a Military deployment to Afghanistan. I use the compass, barometer and compass often. I used the compass on some compass-courses during the deployment work-ups...it did "OK" and got me in the general area, but it wasn't quite as accurate as the hand-held military issue ones that we used for the course. For accurate temperature readings you really have to take the watch off your wrist and let it sit for 5 or so minutes so that it doesn't pick up your body temperature. For the past 6 months or so, the watch has held up pretty well, with exception of the bezel, which seems to get scratched quite easily (as other reviewers have mentioned). The barometer trend is useful in indicating if the weather is turning on you. I don’t really use the altimeter much…it seems to “jump around” a bit. My understanding is that it utilizes temperature and pressure to determine the altitude…I’m not sure how accurate that is when the watch is picking up my body temperature and is covered by my uniform.
Some Pros/Cons:
Pros:
- It actually has the KBL (Kabul, Afghanistan) time zone! For those of you familiar with this time zone…it is 10.5 hours ahead of Mountain Time.
- Solar is a nice feature although, I will have to say that it ran out of power on me about a month ago (actually 2 times). It does say it will go approx. 5 months in the dark with a full charge, so I guess that is somewhat accurate. The watch is covered by my uniform most of the time; I do wear a T-shirt in my office for several hours a day, so it is exposed to fluorescent light, but I guess it is not enough to keep it charged. Anytime outside I have on my fatigues with long sleeve, so it doesn’t get any charging from the sun. If I see the battery go low now, I will put it on my window sill for the day and it seems to charge it right up.
- As mentioned above…temp, pressure and compass is definitely nice to have on you at all times!
- Nice looking watch
- Screen is clear and easy to read.
- Crystal is pretty tough…although the bezel looks worn; there are no scratches on the crystal. I do have to admit that I do not baby the watch…I’m pretty tough on it.
- It is comfortable and light weight and I think the size it just about right, I wouldn’t want it smaller or larger.
- 2 time zones are nice…I keep the primary on Kabul and the alternate on DEN so I can see what time it is back home.

Cons:
- Bezel scratches easily and the band also scratches, so it looks pretty worn.
- Battery runs out…you just need to make sure you keep an eye on the charge and if you see it going low, leave it exposed to light for a while.
- Altitude gives you a good “general” reading, but I would not call it accurate. Currently it is showing 5800 ft in Kabul, Afghanistan, which is within 100ft accuracy (I think that I’m sitting at 5873ft right now).
- I dropped the watch putting it one once and the band detached from the watch on one side. The pin shot out, but I eventually found it. This might have been a fluke, since it hasn’t happened since.

Overall, it is a good watch. If I had to do it again, I would probably by the same watch with the resin band in black…that is a little more subdued in color and better for military use.
13 people found this helpful
on June 17, 2012
I am very satisfied with PRW2500T-7CR after looking at a multitude of other watches. First of all, I was looking for a watch that could be used for sailing (both cruising and racing)on my 27' x 19' trimaran. I needed a watch that was stylish enough for everyday use that had the following features:

Required Features
- Compass for checking heading when away from the cockpit
- Barometer with history function for weather monitoring
- Tide prediction for navigation
- Race sequence countdown timer
- Must be waterproof

Bonus Features
- Solar powered
- Atomic clock synchronization
- Moon phase prediction
- Altimeter for when I go hiking on the AT

At night, it has a function that automatically turns the back light when you look at the watch without having to push anything. The PRW2500T-7CR met all of my needs at a reasonable price.

You will need to get the watch sized as it ships with all the titanium segments installed on the band. Went to a local jewelry store where they re-sized while I waited using a special tool and didn't charge me anything.

Here's the caveat with the tides function. The display is designed for semi-diurnal tides, which is when there are two high tides and two low tides per day. If you use the watch in an area that has diurnal tides, which is when there is only one high and one low tide per day, you have to understand that low tide occurs when the display shows the second high tide for the day. The following is a link to where diurnal occur in the US.

[...]

No one has commented on the race countdown, so here's some more detail. You can set the sequence to 10 minute, 5 minute, 4 minute, etc... The watch beeps each minute until the last ten seconds. During the last 10 seconds it beeps each second with the tone of the beeps changing between 10,9,8,7,6 and 5,4,3,2,1. 0 is a single tone that stops without having to push anything. It is also nice that it displays the local time during the sequence as well.
235 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on October 15, 2016
This is my fourth sensor watch. The first three averaged about three years each, they fail after the first battery replacement and or exposure to most solvents. This last one has a titanium band that will not keep the pins in place. Odd movements of the hand, the pin(s) fall out and the watch falls from your hand. Not helpful if you are active. This one was lost at the beach when the band broke, and the watch fell off without notice. 10 days of use, $25 per day value. Very disappointing.
6 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 18, 2016
This watch is loaded with features, including Atomic Time keeping, which means you'll always have the right time. Solar power means you may never have to replace th battery. The Tide and Moon Phase are great and easy to read. Temperature is affected by your body heat, so for best and accurate readings I suggested removing the watch and letting it sit for a few minutes before taking a reading.

I still need to set up the base altitude for my area, since altitude is based on barometric pressure, which currently says I live about 160-180 feet below sea level.

Buttons are easy to operate, and the face is easy to read. Overall, a great watch.
5 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2015
I like this watch a lot being compulsive about knowing the exact time. I own a Casio MT-G solar watch and this is similar in appearance though the Protrek has many more functions, some somewhat confusing to use, such as the Tide function, despite actually reading the owner's manual. The only thing I found missing, is that the countdown timer has a maximum of 1 hour, unlike my MT-G which has 2 hours. Otherwise, compass and barometer work nicely as does the altimeter. Alarms are nice and easy to program and turn on and off. Same with world time and DST on and off. I have had no problem obtaining the timekeeping signal as I have occasionally with the MT-G. The watch is attractive and light on the wrist, titanium helps much. I had to remove 4 links. You have to be careful as they do not tell you that there is a tiny cylinder in the bottom of each link that holds the pin in place. If you lose this, the pin will not hold in place. Link removal directions should be included.
5 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I just purchased this watch and will probably return it. This review therefore is based on initial impressions rather than long-term use. I have been wearing an old pathfinder fishing watch for years that I love as it has moonrise/set, sunrise/set, AND moon phase icon. As an astronomer, I love having these data so handy. Unfortunately, this watch is discontinued, and the bands wear out and fall apart and are not replaceable. I've actually bought 4 of these watches due to bands breaking! (Fortunately, they're cheap enough (or were) that this is reasonable). However, the pathfinder didn't look particularly elegant for work, so I wanted to find something a little dressier that still provided functions I like. The Protrek PRW-2500 adds the triple sensor functions I didn't have but you lose sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset - all you get is moon phase and age. You also get tide info but I don't care about that. Unfortunately, there are no current models that have both sunrise and moon phase data, and there are NO models that have moonrise/set times.
So the 2500 looks fairly nice with the metal band (at least, when new) although it still has a bit of a clunky appearance due to the large black buttons. But the deal breaker for me is the display. Compared to my old pathfinder, the display is very low contrast -- this may be due to the dual layer LCD screen that provides the graphics. Even in good indoor light, I find the display very difficult to read - and turning on the light doesn't help that much. This is worsened by the fact that the time takes up only about a third of the display. You can have either tide or date in the middle section of the screen, but in either case, the actual time of day is too small. I look at the time much more often than the date. Between the size and contrast, I find myself straining to read the watch. (I'm 57 so perhaps younger eyes will do better -- but generally I see just fine and I have not had this experience with the pathfinder which is easy to glance at and see time).
I'm going to return this and look for one with either analog time keeping or a non-dual display which hopefully will be higher contrast.
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 20, 2015
**UPDATED 8-1-2015**
Well after only a couple of months I experienced the same thing many other reviewers have noted - paint scraped easily off of the directional ring and other spots on the case. I certainly wouldn't use the word "tough" to describe. No problems with functions but for this kind of money I would have expected the finish to hold up better. Have not subjected the watch to anything other than normal wear, so that is not an issue.

I love the outdoors hiking, etc. and purchased this mostly for the ABC features. Great looking watch with many features and I'm looking forward to getting "out there" and wearing it on many outdoor adventures.

One caveat, the product details indicate that the case is stainless steel, however that's only the back. The ring that the bezel is seated in may be titanium or stainless. The body of the case appears to be resin plastic. That's fine; because of the size it would be much heavier (and much less comfortable) with a full metal case, even titanium. Amazon please update your product specs. because it's a little misleading and customers looking for a full metal case are going to be disappointed.
6 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 12, 2015
I bought this to replace an older Casio Sea Pathfinder. THis one looks good and has an important feature I wanted compared to the old watch. The atomic timekeeping means I never have to update the exact time like I used to. It works pretty well but if you live in either a very built up city area or in a rural area it might not always be able to pick up the National Bureau of Standards (WWV) radio time broadcast. If this happens Casio says to put the watch near a window on the west side of your home at night. Mine keeps very good time. The solar recharging (Tough Solar) works the same as my old watch. which is very well. Just make sure to let it get some direct sunlight for a few minutes a day and it stays full. Even through a car or home window it charges, just slower. With no light at all they claim six month of battery. I know my old one kept running for over 3 months after the band broke which made me stop using it. One time I took it outside on a bright day after the display had gone dark, and in less than 15 minutes the watch started back up. It was full in an hour or two.

The minus is that the Sea Pathfinder I had before this one had a depth gauge that I used as a backup for scuba diving and just for fun at lakes and swimming pools. The new one (reviewed model) has the same sensor only they use it for a barometer and altimiter. These are mildly interesting but I have no need for either. Another minus is that Casio also did a strange thing. On the home page of the watch it has day of the week, date and year. For some odd reason they made the date (which I refer to often) and the day of the week small with the year in a much larger font! I've never had trouble remembering the year, so I'd MUCH prefer skipping the year altogether and making day/date bigger! Oh well.

Just as an FYI, if you are active like I am you'll often look at the watch and see it changed to either barometer, altimiter or world time instead of local time. It's simple to press the home button, just seems to always happen when my hands are full. I am the opposite of most people in that I primarily use my watch for telling time instead of my phone. I don't use the built in alarm as the one in my smartphone is much louder and I still barely hear IT when I'm tired enough. So I can't give feedback on main alarm. The countdown alarm can be handy but is annoying. It beeps every five minutes and just beeps longer at zero. I wish it didn't, as to me all the extra beeps are just false alarms.
2 people found this helpful
on December 28, 2015
I got it. Set up the time zone. Then adjusted the band. It's easy to do. Just remember to follow the arrows and don't forget about the little retaining collar in the link. It was easy. All you need is a paper clip and long nose pliers. I keep it set up with the tide Chart on always. Love that feature with the moon phase showing as well. This a happening watch with unparalleled functionality. Triple sensor gives you compass, Barometer, and altitude. I wish the display was a little more tactical looking but the information you need is there. Nice work on this one Casio.

Update, after owning this for two years I must say that the quality is exeptional. I never take it off. Wear it in the shower, swimming, in the woods, mountains, working in brutal environments. It gets knocked around a lot and still looks and performs great. The compass is a great tool and will get you back to the truck if you know what you're doing. The barometric pressure graph will tell you if bad weather is coming. And the moon and tide features are nice. Don't believe the negative reviews about the titanium band adjustments. Its easy if you follow directions.
2 people found this helpful