Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Casio Privia PX160BK 88-Key Full Size Digital Piano
Color: Black|Style: Digital Piano|Change

on October 2, 2015
Overall: I would give this 4.5 stars if I could. The PX160 is not perfect, but it is a solid keyboard, especially at a sub-$500 price point for intermediate/hobbyist players like me. It excels in sound quality, key weighting, and size/portability. But there are a few minor drawbacks, which are explained below. I was debating between this and the Yamaha P105, but I am glad I went with the Casio and (at least at this point) would buy again.

My background/skill level: I took lessons for about 10 years growing up and have continued to play intermittently for enjoyment/relaxation since then. I would say my skill level is intermediate to advanced, but I am lazy so I mostly stick to music I can sight read. I don't really perform. I grew up playing a Baldwin baby grand and a mid-90s Roland electric, so I am not accustomed to top-of-the-line acoustics and do not expect Steinway sound from a portable digital keyboard.

Pros:

Sound (4.5/5): I think the sound quality is terrific for a digital. There are 5 grand piano voices that differ enough to make them distinguishable, but all sound great whether playing through the speakers or through headphones. The other voices (strings, vibraphone, electric, organ, etc.) are nice but for my purposes a feature that won't get used much (if at all), with the exception of occasional layering (discussed below). I wouldn't be able to confuse this with a Steinway or other quality acoustic piano, but I do think it has its own impressive quality that does not make me think cheap digital piano either. It is MUCH cleaner, clearer, and more accurate than the Roland I grew up with which cost (at the time) substantially more. There are youtube demonstrations (which I would recommend watching) that demonstrate the sound quality, and I have found that those demonstrations capture the sound accurately.

Layering (4/5): A feature of the piano is the ability to layer two voices (essentially hear both selected voices each time you strike a key). There are some pieces where this makes a really cool effect, such as a soundtrack piece with light strings layered behind a grand piano. Honestly more of a gimmick than a feature, but I thought it was interesting.

Selection (4/5): The five grand piano voices are really nice to have. I didn't think there would be much difference, and admittedly the differences are subtle, but all of them are unique and well suited to different types of songs. Some voices are more muted, others more striking. Really pleasantly surprised. As noted, I don't put much stock in the other voices (organ, vibraphone, harpsichord, etc.), but they are available and high quality if that interests you.

Key Weight (4.5/5): For such a lightweight, portable keyboard, the keys have terrific action. There is the slightest bit of cushion that doesn't snap the keys back quite like an acoustic would, but the travel and resistance when playing is pretty close to the real deal. Feels better than many older acoustics (especially stand ups) that I've played in the past. The lack of crispness is the only real drawback, but it doesn't affect my play at all.

Size (4.5/5): It's narrower than I expected (which is a good thing). The dimensions on the product page say it's 57 inches wide. That is the shipping dimension. The actual keyboard is 52 inches wide, 11 inches front to back, and 5 inches tall at the back (not including the height of the music stand). It's light enough to move easily but substantial enough to feel steady. I do wish it was about 5 pounds heavier so it would feel more secure on my X-style keyboard stand, but that is a minor qualm.

Simplicity (4.5/5): Easy to plug and play right out of the box. The functions are basic but intuitive. There are some dedicated buttons for certain voices, recording, volume, power, etc., but most of the functions require you to press a labeled piano key while holding the "function" key. Because my use is fairly straightforward (I just want to play piano music), this is a huge plus for me. I wouldn't want a ton of buttons cluttering up the panel.

Cons:

Key Texture (3/5): I know this is supposed to be a selling point (they are supposed to feel like ebony and ivory), but I don't think they quite get there, and the result falls awkwardly somewhere between the smooth plastic of a digital keyboard and the feel of real acoustic keys. Honestly I would have preferred the traditional smooth keys of a digital keyboard than a fake option that only gets 80% of the way to the real thing. But that's a matter of personal preference.

Key Sensitivity at Speed (2/5): I play a number of pieces that require rapid repetition of individual keys. I noticed when trying to play those pieces that the individual key couldn't be played fast enough and still register distinct notes. Above a certain rate, the piano wouldn't register the next stroke and would not play the note. This shouldn't be confused with playing an arpeggio or scale rapidly (because you are moving quickly from one key to another). My point relates to playing the same key in rapid succession (which is probably a rare requirement). I haven't seen a problem with playing scales or arpeggios rapidly.

Low Quality Sustain Pedal (1.5/5): I have already ordered a new sustain pedal. The one that comes in the box is not piano style, and it is squishy and unreliable. It functions to an extent, but I got frustrated very quickly with it.

Casio Quality Reputation (2/5): This may be overly harsh of me, but I am very nervous about the reliability of the piano based on Casio's reputation and a number of reviews I've read here and on other sites about earlier models of Casio keyboards (including the PX150). Out of the box the piano is working great, but I will always have in the back of my mind a concern about the software shorting out or the tuning deteriorating or individual keys dying. Whether that is justified or not remains to be seen, but it is certainly something I think about and was the biggest hurdle for me when mulling the purchase. There is a limited 2-3 year warranty, which is helpful. I hope I don't need to come back with an edit in 6 months or a year.

All in all, I am very happy with the piano and would recommend it to others.
216 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on September 19, 2016
I purchased this product 5 months ago from GuitarCenter.
I recently started learning piano after years of contemplating others playing.

I've always been fascinated and intrigued by music. My plan to conquer music was twofold; demystify music theory and start my quest of a piano.

I was looking for;
- Anything able to replicate the experience of a real acoustic piano (as close as possible).
- Not exceeding a budget of $500.
- Easy to transport from one location to another.
- Not bulky because I live in an apartment.

A digital piano seemed the way to go. After weeks of research, I finally made up my mind for this Privia PX-160. Below is a summary of the relevant information which helped me in my decision.

Pros:
- 88 keys.
I am still a beginner working on simple concepts and songs. I don’t actually need 88 keys. I saw cheaper digital pianos with 76 or 61 keys. It seemed to increase the portability and ease of transport, but I wanted 88 keys to staying closer from an acoustic piano. A long term investment.

- Weighted keys.
On an acoustic piano, the left keys are heavier than the right keys. If I understood all of this completely, there are 3 main types of mechanisms to emulate this feel: semi-weighted (springs under the keys like in a mattress), weighted (a lever with weight is attached to the keys - adds extra weight to the overall piano) and graded hammer action ( some small “hammers” behind the keys).

Most brands have their proprietary mechanism, for Casio, the mechanism is called the "The Tri-Sensor Scaled keyboard" which falls in the third category above.

- Touch sensitivity / responsiveness / touch response: the harder you push they key, the louder the sound (and lightly for a quieter sound). That characteristic allows the player to transmit more emotion in his play and not just execute a partition.

- Built-in speakers. My budget was less than $500. No extra money to buy an amplifier or any speakers. I needed decent built-in speakers, after all, that’s how we share what we play.

- The maximum amount of polyphony is set to 128 notes. I was looking at something around 64 notes. I got a hard time getting my head around this concept. This is simply a way to specify "how many notes the piano can sound at the same time". Here is the best example I found while researching this concept: a cheap Fisher-Price from a toy store will most likely produce one single note at a time. No matter how many keys you hit at the same time. An acoustic piano will produce as many notes as the keys hit. But the digital piano is limited by the technology built-in.

- MIDI connection via USB. MIDI is just a way for electronic instruments to communicate with other digital equipment. As a beginner, I choose to learn and practice piano with Yousician and Synthesia (by the way, Yousician has a free version and Synthesia is paid but they have deals for back to school and probably Black Fridays). These apps detect the notes played via the microphone of your device (your laptop, phone, tablet, etc.). The issue with the microphone option is the background noise. In my case, my wife is also learning to play guitar. This means that we can't play both at the same time in the same room. The trick is to connect your digital piano to your Mac or PC using the MIDI protocol.The USB MIDI port of this product is convenient because you may already have a similar USB cable to plug an old printer or hard drive.

- The weight is 25.5 lbs (11.5 kg), which makes it portable and easy to carry.

- It can be turned into a home digital piano with the Casio CS-67P Keyboard Stand for PX150, PX160, PX350, PX360, and PX560. I didn't invest in this, though. I firstly tried the Proline PL200 X-Braced Keyboard Stand. But it wasn't sturdy. I ended up using a desk and returning the stand.

- Duet mode: "Duet mode allows the keyboard to be split into two equal ranges, so the student and teacher can use the piano simultaneously." (from Casio's specs). I don't use this for now, but this may come in pretty handy.

Cons:
- I often get lost with all the options. I don't know by heart what are the defaults, or shortcuts. A LED screen would make my things easier. I ended up having the user manual opened in the drawer of my desk to look up the defaults, shortcuts quickly.

Notes:
- 18 Built-in tones/sounds. I am always using the Grand Piano Classic mode. I will not use all the tones anyway.

I would recommend this piano to beginner and probably advanced players. I really love it.
However, while it's not always possible, I would advise you to test any keyboard before buying it. If possible, just go to a shop and try it out, even if you plan to buy it from Amazon.

Feel free to highlight any mistakes in my explanation. All the points are the reasons why I choose to go for this piano.
73 people found this helpful
on January 23, 2016
I bought this keyboard to learn to play the piano. I wanted the full keyboard, an action that mimics a mechanical piano -- that is, the harder you press the key, the louder the sound -- and a good "sustain" -- how long the sound lasts, similar to the vibration of strings. Because I never expect to pay professionally or in a band, I was not interested in a lot of "effects," say, making it sound like a gazillion different instruments. I studied a considerable number of reviews, and narrowed my choices down to two instruments before I settled on the Casio. I couldn't be happier. It sounds, feels, and functions like a "real" piano, but takes up less space!

If you're looking for an electronic keyboard, I can recommend the Casio Privia PX160 without reservations. BTW, I was already to buy one of the "packages," where you get the keyboard, stand, bench, and sometimes a sustain pedal. Then I thought I should put in some time checking the reviews on these accessories, given how much time I had spent researching the keyboard. GLAD I DID! There isn't anything necessarily "wrong" with the stand, etc., but I found I could do a lot better for not a lot more money. For example, the "X" stand limits how close you can sit to the keyboard. Not something I would have thought of on my own. I bought the accessories individually, and am very happy with everything I got.
29 people found this helpful
on June 4, 2016
I've had this keyboard for about a month now, and I love it! This is a great option for someone who wants a real piano but finds that isn't an option due to price/space concerns. I took piano lessons for about 10 years growing up (first on an old upright, and then moving to a baby grand). I bought this keyboard because I wanted to get back to playing piano after not playing much in college, but as someone living in a small apartment who moves around a lot, this was a great alternative. The sound quality is great, and the key action feels like a real piano! Of course it can't match a Steinway, but it definitely beats the ancient upright from my childhood in terms of key responsiveness and sound.

In terms of other features, I bought the Casio bundle which includes a nicer pedal, a stand and stool. I find these to be great options for the price! The pedal works like a real sustain pedal, and the stand is study (though took some work to put together out of the box). The keyboard comes with 5 grand piano voices along with many electric/harpsichord/strings etc voices. They all sound fine but I prefer to stick with the concert grand, as I mostly play classical music. I haven't tried any recording features so can't speak to that.

My one issue with this keyboard is the slight "thumping" noise the keys themselves make hitting the base and coming back up. This isn't noticeable if you have the volume up at a normal level, and it only bothers me when I turn the volume lower and hear this "thumping" over the keyboard sound. However if it starts to bother me, I just use headphones instead! Overall this is a wonderful keyboard, and I would definitely recommend it. If any problems arise I will update, but hopefully that will not be the case!
19 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2017
I am absolutely delighted with this keyboard. Having played piano for 57 years, I can't tell the difference between the feel of this keyboard and an
acoustic grand. I've played mostly Steinways and a few Yahama and Baldwin grands. The realistic key action of this digital piano is the best I've
experienced so far, and in a portable 30 pound package, it's a perfect piano for new/student pianists to break in on and develop the necessary muscle memory for acoustic piano performance without breaking the bank account. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to sound, so the "concert" and "modern" piano settings are plenty for me. The other voices are amazingly well sampled, although the harpsichord does seem a bit light. The headphone jack spares my family members from having to listen to somebody practice (which can be torture.) I have the left mono out jack in the back connected to a Roland PM30 amp to give a bottom to the lower register, and closing my, I'd swear I was in the room with a perfectly tuned 9 ft. concert grand with its top open. This piano is ideal for the new student. You won't lose a fortune if your young maestro loses interest, but if your
newbie goes nuclear with it, it is essentially a "real" piano to train with, and it sounds amazing through it's own built in speakers. I've never been
disappointed with Casio gear, and they haven't let me down with the PX 160. You'll be owning a concert grand piano that only weighs 30 pounds and didn't cost you $30k, and never needs tuning.
6 people found this helpful
on August 30, 2017
This piano feels great. I am an experienced musician and needed a simple, easy piano for my studio and rehearsal space. The Casio Privia 160 fits that role perfects. The built in sounds are good. (Not amazing, but good enough for basic stuff. )

The USB connection works perfectly to make this into an excellent midi controller.

It's not flimsy, but not too heavy, either. It's easily moved around my space with no need for help.

Where this piano shines is in playability. The hammer-action, weighted keys feel EXCELLENT. The response is good and feels real. Casio even took care to add a very slight texture, making them feel like the ivory of a real acoustic piano to the touch.

I've had other, much more expensive stage pianos come into my studio for sessions and rehearsals. No doubt, they have better sounds, but the Casio isn't a slouch. It can keep up. The playability of this instrument is what shines... and at 1/2 the price of its competitors.

As for the limited sounds, they can easily be swapped out with a laptop and midi using the USB connection. (This makes an EXCELLENT controller.)
6 people found this helpful
on December 2, 2015
I love this piano, I was a bit uncomfortable buying an electric piano as I had always used an upright piano, but looking at reviews I decided that this was my best option, once I received it and listened to the sound it produced I loved it, the sound is clear and the vibration of a key lasts just as long as a real string for each string.
23 people found this helpful
on July 27, 2016
 When I first got this brand new, handsome keyboard, I was exhilarated. I tried several songs and found the sound quality and the weight feeling were pretty decent! I used to play the real grand piano in my childhood for six years, but I gave up and opted to learn science afterI grew up. At first, I really felt so great for this awesome piano, for its smooth sound and real-piano-like touch feeling. I would really like to even give it five starts at first.

However, after several days I began to record my playing, and then I found the keyboard noises too significant to endure. I played the piano cover of the song Boston by Augustana, and the E5 key always made noises when the key bounced. I turned off the volume and tried many times, along with other keys, and I felt there must be something wrong with this key. Though I know digital piano keyboard makes noises, it shouldn't be as noisy and rhythmic a metronome. Besides, the pedal, not only the original pedal but also the extra pedal I bought in the "package", makes a rhythmic noise. So when I play and record I have to put up with two types of rhythmic noises, which really makes me annoyed.

You may search on youtube and find things like this:
[...]
The low, boxy bouncing noise is actually acceptable. However, for me, it's much worse. See the video I uploaded.

I replaced the original one after two weeks. Thanks to amazon and Casio. But the one I received for replacement also makes noises on E5 Key. What can I say?

Before I started learning to play the real piano, I was playing a Casio digital Piano. That was in 90's last century and I really miss those old days. So I raised it up to three stars, because of those beautiful memories, and because I can't deny the truth that this keyboard is indeed very good except only for the noises.
44 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 4, 2018
I had an Alesis QS8 purchased in the mid or late 90’s that I loved. I paid around $2000.00 for it. Unfortunately it was too heavy for me to lug around so I eventually sold it and bought a cheap 66 Casio to have when I needed something light to carry and for my computer. I still have it. It’s a great little keyboard especially for the price. I was ready though for another 88 key with at least semi-weighted keys and found this one. I just got it today and have been playing around with it. I love it! The touch is really close to an acoustic piano. The sound is pretty good, even without attaching it to an external sound system. It is easy to transpose, which is a feature I always used frequently on my Alesis. Best part I can actually pick it up and carry it! It doesn’t weigh 50 or 60pounds like my old Alesis. I decided on the gold color to look better in my music room with my grand piano which is cherry wood. Now I can’t wait for the new stand I ordered for it to come in. For now it’s on my kitchen island!😊 No it isn’t a Korg or Roland, and neither was the price. It is perfect for my needs. As a piano teacher, I would also recommend it for any of my students if their parents aren’t ready to make the investment or the commitment of maintenance on an acoustic piano.
review image
One person found this helpful
on January 10, 2018
The keys have a good feel to them, and the sound was wonderful for the price. Unfortunately, less than a year after we bought it, it stopped sounding all its Ds, Fsharps and Asharps across the whole keyboard. It was still under warranty, but the price of shipping the keyboard out of state (to the closest authorized dealer) to be fixed was about the same as the cost of buying a new one. I hesitate to send it out, as I worry the piano might be jostled/damaged on its return trip anyway. And I hesitate to buy a new one to fit in my Casio stand, as it might develop the same problem.

In retrospect, I wish I had bought a Yamaha, as we do have authorized repair places for those in-state. Before you buy one, check online where the nearest authorized warranty repair place is. Very frustrating--I chose this over a real piano because I thought it would be less trouble!
3 people found this helpful