Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 236 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 251 reviews
on August 14, 2011
PROS: Rugged, retro styling, current time shown in every mode, accurate barometer, great feature set for the price

CONS: Digital display has modest viewing angles, resin band is thin, altimeter is pressure-based

Overall, this SGW300 series represents a terrific bang for the buck. I was debating between this watch and the G-Shock Riseman (which I may still end up getting one day). At 1/3 the price, this SGW300 possesses an accurate barometer with trend arrow, a world clock (more cities than the Riseman!), and good toughness (100M water resistance, works in both temperature extremes). Since purchasing the SGW300, I haven't been disappointed.

Three styles are available for the SGW300: black resin band, green cloth band, and stainless steel (folded link) bracelet. I chose the black resin for aesthetics and functionality. The black looked stylish and uniform on the case (the green one has light gray buttons and a dark gray sensor on the left, which I didn't like) and the green window on top reminded me of some old-school Casio's. Plus I didn't want to deal with odor/sweat issues with the cloth band. On the negative side, the resin band does get thin and the buckle is plastic. The SGW300 does have 18mm lugs, however, suggesting that the band can be replaced should the original wear out. The buttons on the side of the case are easy and pleasant to press.

It's a sizeable watch, but on my 6.5" wrist, the SGW300 looks and wears fine. [EDIT 11/2011- I ended up trimming 0.25" off the end of the band because it protruded a bit too much. I smoothed it down with an emery board. The overall look is much improved.)

I love how time is displayed on EVERY mode. And the alarm tones are reasonably loud. The display, on the other hand, is merely decent. At some angles, the uncluttered display shows thick, dark digits quite clearly. Yet many other angles cause the LCD digits to fade quickly -- I've seen better (the Casio Fishing Watch comes to mind). Illumination of the display is produced by two amber LEDs, which work well. One can customize the duration of the illumination, a feature that more expensive models often lack.

Like other Casio's, this altimeter is pressure based and can be unreliable if the weather changes. There is no trend guide for the altimeter, nor is there any memory mode. The thermometer, as mentioned in other reviews, needs to be off the wrist for at least 15+ minutes before correctly registering ambient temperature.

The SGW300 is a hidden gem in the Casio world. It shares and sometimes surpasses the features of more expensive models. It lacks the frills of atomic clock synchronization and solar battery power (the SGW300 battery is rated to last at least 3 yrs). In the process, the SGW300 emerges as an affordable watch for its extensive feature set, handsome retro looks, and good durability. Highly recommended.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2016
I've had this thing for almost three years and, in that time, I've banged it on tables, doors, rocks, trees--you name it! It's a great piece of gear, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a durable watch with some additional features. I've taken it underwater multiple times and it's performed beautifully. I wear this thing every day--through sweat, dirt, desert heat: everything--and it's never quit yet! Battery keeps on ticking, and all the buttons still work just fine!

GREAT watch!
on September 21, 2016
I could be very detailed in this review but I won't, because when it comes down to it I absolutely love this watch... all functions work as expected and easy to read at night with built in light! Durable Durable Durable I have beat on this watch and it still keeps going..the first one lasted about 8yrs and it took a lot of outdoor abuse..from camping,hiking, white water rafting and being on a construction site at work! Don't hesitate to buy =)
on October 20, 2016
I can't believe the price of this watch. I bought it for a backpacking trip in the Wind River range of Wyoming to make it a little easier to navigate using topographical maps. This watch was as far as I could tell always +/- 50 ft from map altitude, even when weather conditions were changing. You're not going to find a better altimeter in this price range. Temperature sensor worked as advertised. I did put the watch underwater, only swimming though so it wasn't at depth. Overall, this watch works great and has a lot of functions. Aesthetically, it looks exactly like the picture, a little big for my taste but it's not a fashion watch.
on May 28, 2017
This was my 3rd purchase of with Casio model, but the first one from Amazon. The price was great, but the buttons stopped working after only 36hrs! The good news is I'm a Prime customer and I get free return shipping. I love this model so I'm purchasing it from another seller for a little more $. The battery lasted me over 3 yrs and when I replaced it myself, I didn't seal it well enough. When I went summer with, water got inside and the watch stopped working for 6 days. After it dried out, everything was functioning except for the barometer/altimeter. And the band needed to be replaced. So it was time for a new. The first one I purchased in the early 90's was $100. The last 2 over the past 5 years were around $40!
on March 17, 2017
I've had this watch for one year now. The altimeter has never been accurate, nor the thermometer. Both gauges "errored" recently, then it died. I replaced the battery and attempted to reset both meters. To no prevail. Now I have a watch that does none of the features I purchased it for. Extremely disappointed in Casio and will never buy again. I guess the higher priced multi function watches are worth the extra money to begin with.
on October 30, 2016
I'm no watch connoisseur, but I bought this one because it really inexpensive and has an altimeter. I'd read several reviews of standalone altimeters, and from what I read, this watch does as good a job as many of the more expensive, standalone models.

I'm a backpacker, and I don't carry electronics, so having a map compass and the altitude allow me to figure out my position on the map with reasonable accuracy. I check the altitude on the watch against points on the map where exact altitudes are given, and I find it to be generally reliable. At least as reliable as any pressure-based altimeter is likely to be. Otherwise, it tells time.
on July 28, 2016
Purchased this a year ago and wore on several trips, hikes and flights. Everything still works, the altimeter is usually within 100 ft of GPS if it was set correctly in the beginning, but can sometimes be off by 3-400 after driving over several passes. Reads 6000-8000ft inside the plane at cruise which is about right for high altitude long distance flights. Thermometer also works well when watch is not worn on hand or close to body.
I suppose a Suunto watch would be more accurate but at a cost several times higher..
Wish it had a solar charge option as well as a compass but you can't have everything in a $40 watch and Casio does have models with these features.
on August 11, 2015
GARBAGE. GARBAGE. GARBAGE! Bought this because of all the great reviews. On a long distance hiking trip. Thought it would be fun to have altimeter. FIRST time I pushed alt. Button Battery died. I replaced the battery 2 times with same result. SO put one last battery in to use as ONLY watch. Not even push the light button . Must have bumped alt. button somehow because it is dead AGAIN. just off trail and now too late to return. All told i got about 3 days of use. Come on Casi!!!..at least u used to have at very least a dependable time keeper.... would have done better to get a no name at the check out line at KMART!
on August 17, 2016
I bought an "outdoor" watch that is NOT an outdoor watch. Used it outside for one boy scout camping trip and it failed. They watch will just reset itself. This is a problem when you are in charge of 40+ scouts and need to be up before they do. Unfortunatley the warrenty does me no good b/c I replaced the band. The warrenty specifically states the band must not be broken (missing). That's what I get for going cheap.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.