- Age Range: 4 - 8 years
- Grade Level: Preschool - 3
- Hardcover: 32 pages
- Publisher: Philomel Books (November 15, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0399172785
- ISBN-13: 978-0399172786
- Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 0.4 x 11.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (12 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #68,466 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The Cat From Hunger Mountain Hardcover – November 15, 2016
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From School Library Journal
K-Gr 4—Lord Cat lives well on his mountaintop, blessed with the finest of goods and plenty of rice to eat. He has servants to build him the best home and prepare and serve his delicious meals. There are also workers to tend his prolific rice paddies. Life is stable until, one year, drought hits and crops fail. Eventually most of the villagers move from the mountain in search of a better life. Lord Cat refuses to abandon all that he has accrued even though his great wealth now means nothing. Finally, at the point of starvation, he leaves his home to beg for food from whomever he can. He learns of a generous monk, willing to serve rice to any in need. Lord Cat becomes most grateful for just a half bowl of rice that he would have scorned and thrown away before. Lord Cat learns an invaluable lesson when he discovers how the gracious monk accumulated his reserve. Caldecott-winning author/illustrator Young has created another stunning and meaningful picture book to be enjoyed by all ages. This poignant story reinforces the importance of limiting waste, being grateful for what one has, and sharing in a manner that is deliberate and sincere. The animal characters make this title especially inviting and accessible for young readers. The visuals, completed in mixed-media collage, are striking with their use of many colors, textures, and types of materials. This book is exquisite in text, tone, and illustration. VERDICT A compelling fable that is crucial for humanity and will spark meaningful classroom conversations.—Amy Shepherd, St. Anne's Episcopal School, Middleton, DE
A New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book of 2016!
An Amazon Best Book of the Year!
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year!
"Young creates a stunning visual symphony with a surprising and unsettling emotional power."--New York Times Book Review
* "The well-paced fable is visually stunning . . . Young is at the height of his powers in this fable that offers a feast for the eyes, mind, and soul. A visual masterpiece."--Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Caldecott-winning author/illustrator Young has created another stunning and meaningful picture book to be enjoyed by all ages. This book is exquisite in text, tone, and illustration. A compelling fable that is crucial for humanity and will spark meaningful classroom conversations."--School Library Journal, starred review
* "Young weaves an elegant cautionary fable."--Publishers Weekly, starred review
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?