Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 14, 2016
I installed this on a hollow core interior door in 30 minutes and I'm home improvement challenged. Took the door off the hinges, brought it outside where I used the template (that has a sticky edge to keep it in place!), traced it, drilled some pilot holes and used a jig saw to cut it out. Everything snapped in nicely and secured properly with the provided screws and caps.
review imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 2, 2015
We installed this about two months ago now. Easy installation if you're a little handy (not everyone feels comfortable cutting through their doors).

The cats took a while to get used to using it. Had it taped wide open for the first week, then spent a week where we left it down but would put the cats through it a few times a day, then one day they both just started using it. We did remove the magnet from the door, as the resistance of the door being held down slightly was deterring my cat from going through at first.

Love the locking feature. Had people working on the electric box in the basement and loved that I could lock the cat door and not worry about the workers having the outside door open. Though my cat did try repeatedly to go through. Will be covering the door up when it's locked in the future to try to prevent that issue. However the little locks on the door held up despite my cats persistence.

I would highly recommend this to anyone needing a cat door. I don't know if I'd trust it as a door to the exterior, but between basement and the main floor it's perfect.
review image
22 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2016
We installed two of these on interior doors in our house and we love them! We did not have to train our cat to use them, he figured it out by himself. Our cat is a 15 pound American short hair and he fits just fine through them. I have noticed that the tip of his tail seems to get caught by the flap but it doesn't seem to hurt him and it doesn't keep him from using them. He particularly likes that the flaps are see through as he can sit behind one and stare out at what is going on before deciding to enter the room. We put one on the door from the mud room to the kitchen and one on the door leading down to the basement. We've have them a month so far. Recommend!
review image
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 13, 2012
The kinds of cat doors they sell at the pet stores in town are only listed as effective for animals up to 15 pounds. Our tomcat kitty is 12lbs and growing and he barely was able to squeeze through the frame of one of those. The next size up is for animals up to 40 pounds, which would allow all sorts of other critters (raccoons, foxes, the neighbors dog) to gain entry. This product is safely large enough for any cat, but too small for most REAL dogs. It is nice that it can be completely locked, completely open, or locked one way. If one kitty is in for dinner and the other hasnt come home yet, you can make it entry only so when the cats come home, they cannot go back out to prowl. It is nice that the flap is transparent. Our cats love looking out the window into the dark when they are locked in. The only thing keeping it from getting a 5 star is that the lock clasps feel like they are made out of cheap plastic. When it is below zero, they are hard to move into place and i fear that they might break prematurely, which could be a headache. Otherwise, this product exceeded expectations.
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 5, 2017
I've installed two of these now on interior doors. The first door was not flat faced by it's design, however adding some white silicone caulking around the top edges where a GAP had formed mitigated any shadowing. The second door was flat, no GAP created, no silicone created. The second door is directly into a bedroom, and in order to make this pet swing door silent for noise control here, I removed the bottom magnet, and installed tiny strips of peel & stick sound dedening material where the two pieces meet. Door swings silently and freely with this modofication. With an unaltered swing door on the first door entering the laundry area, noticeable "thud" sound as magnet stops door from swinging and creates some reverb through the hollow material as well as cheap hollow interior door it's installed into. This does not bother anyone at this location, and kind of gives you an idea where the cats are, you know when they have pushed through.

Solid 4 stars. Super easy to install, stencil and screws included. Both of my doors where of cheap hollow interior quality, better quality doors may require more skill for install.

The point for us, cats have access to closed door areas where they would normally make a fuss until allowed in/out.
review imagereview image
on August 8, 2017
This is such a great cat door. I got it for my bedroom, so I can close my door when sleeping, but my cat has access to the rest of the house.

Installation was pretty straightforward; you take out the included template, trace it onto your door, and saw a hole in that shape. Then, you screw the two sides into the door, and they meet in the center.

It took my big tabby cat about 15 minutes to figure out, but he definitely has it down now.

There are 2 main drawbacks: 1) The magnet is really strong, so he pushes with his paw first (I am wondering if it will decrease over time in strength), and 2) the door is completely transparent from both sides, so theoretically someone could look in from the outside. So for that reason I would not use this on an external door.
on February 7, 2017
This is a great little device. First of all, it is very easy to make a home-made pet door but, not as fine and polished as this one is, what with its brushed gasket and magnet and all. It looks neat and clean and very professional. Maybe, when you bend over and down the switches could be a little bit more easy to switch. But I'm certain they will work more effortlessly after they're used about a month. The template is perfect. I, at first had the brown one just like this one picked out and this one went on sale for considerably less but, now I figure I'll still get the brown one sometime in the near future, as well. I think I remember someone saying the template was wrong with theirs. But it'd be easy enough to make your own template for this if it were omitted from the box or something. Probably just trace around the plastic, not the outer-most completely square parameters, but along the outside of the inner-most door opening. You'll see. I just wonder if anyone out there has put this up on their door about a yard high or something. And with maybe a little ledge both inside and outside maybe as a perch so your cats could still have an easy access. I'm wondering if that would dissuade raccoons and opossums and such. Probably not. They climb anything a cat can. I'm probably just SOL on that.
on December 31, 2016
Instructions for installing were excellent. I installed it on a hollow core door without any problems. Just be certain that you don't over tighten the screws so you don't strip the holes. I used a much smaller drill bit for the pilot holes to avoid possibly stripping the holes. One of my cats will not go through a swinging door flap. It is nice that the door flap can be removed easily and have to be taped or otherwise propped open. This door is an excellent value for the money!
on March 14, 2016
This has been so nice to have. We put it in the wall between our house and garage so I don't have to keep the litterboxes in the house anymore. We did have to remove the strong magnet which broke the door a little and lets more air in/out. The cats just couldn't seem to figure out how to push their way through. We end up not using the latches either because it confuses them. If we want to keep them in/out, we have to put a physical barrier in front of the door, otherwise, the cats think the door doesn't open even when we unlatch it.

Pros: it is large enough for our 14lb manx.
It is see through, which makes the cats less nervous to go through it.
on December 7, 2017
Our cats love these! I love that I can control their access to and from rooms. This is helpful for letting them explore the basement, but only on my terms. I can let them down via the main door, and they're able to come up whenever they're ready, such as needing to potty, but they're unable to go back down unless I allow them to.
The sound of the door can be kind of loud in the middle of the night, but we quickly got used to the sound and ignore it. If that's a problem for you, you could restrict access at night.
One of our cats quickly got the hang of using these doors while I have another cat that prefers to use them only when she absolutely has to. She stil sometimes waits for us to open the main door for her. That says more about her personality than the product itself.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse