Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Catan Board Game - Gallery Edition
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Format: Toy|Change
Price:$42.91+ $6.02 shipping

on August 14, 2012
I bought this at Walmart and I was throughly disappointed to find that it is not the original Settler's of Catan. There are atleast three reasons why you should spend $10 more and get the full version:

1. With this version you lose customization. The resource blocks are already organized in a fashion such that you will get bored of the same old arrangements and you can't change the numbers for the dice rolls that allow you to gain resources. Not to mention they don't fit in the board as well.

2. Small Cards. The full version has normal size cards, these are small, annoying and sure to get lost.

3. You lose the chance to use expansion packs!

So, yeah, just buy the full version, not this one!
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2011
Great price compared to existent new copies on the market.
Though I don't mind having a used item for the price break, however it's not said that some tiles come attached in clusters of 4 or 2's, thus limiting its randomizing possibilities.

The enclosed fold up contour is great, since it avoids the tiles to be disarranged during the game.

Secondly it came with 5 cities and 4 settlements, where the standard game calls for 5 settlements and 4 cities. ??

Neither of the 2 comments above were written in the offering.

For the price I paid I think it's a good deal,the rest is just 'marketing gimmicks', under 'Collector's Item', to say the least
on June 4, 2013
I think the negative reviews of this game have come about because the game has not been marketed properly. This is essentially an introduction to Catan (or, as another reviewer mentioned, a casual version). The rules have been simplified, the board has been simplified -- after one time through you have a pretty good feel for how to work the game. So you can play it on your family game night, get better at it, get tired of it and upgrade to the full version. The real question is whether you will get your money's worth before you get tired of it...or whether you are only interested in casual gaming to begin with. Personally, I find the game to be a lot of fun, and the simplification helps keep it from being overwhelming to beginners.

For those unfamiliar with the game, the set comes with groups of hex tiles that you arrange to form the game board. You build, expand and upgrade your settlements on this board. A roll of the dice determines which resources are available for construction or trade. Construction allows you to earn points. There are also cards that allow you to earn points. The first player to reach 10 points wins the game.
on July 11, 2015
A fun strategy game for everyone. The only draw backs are this board is permenant so the resources cannot be rearranged, and you can't add expansion packs to this version. A great game for four players.
on January 13, 2009
Not the one I was expecting it has it's pro's & Con's this version stays in place it has a border the pieces set in but you can't really use an expansion pack with it. it is just as fun to play for 4 people though.
on November 18, 2012
I saw this at Walmart and I've played Catan with my college friends before, I didn't bother ordering one online and this one seemed a lot cheaper, what could go wrong?
Well there's basically no customization since all the tiles come in in clusters, and the numbers are printed on the tiles, which means you always get the same amount of certain resources and they're pretty evenly distributed. You'll get tired of the pre-arranged map pretty quick, and I find games more fun when you have scarce resources so there's a lot more strategy involved in placing your initial settlements and more trading.
The cards are a lot smaller and overall the quality of the boards and pieces are much lower.
I honestly didn't think they would screw up Catan this much in this edition, it's obviously designed by people who don't know much about Catan.
Nevertheless, the set-up is a lot faster and you have the pieces that keeps track of how many victory points you have, so I suppose it'll be better for casual players, but if you plan to play this a lot, do yourselves a favor and get the regular edition.
on December 30, 2013
I got this at a second hand store for 2.00
I didn't realize it was a watered down version but we (family) still like it.
We've never played the original so have nothing to compare it to. It is very addicting! I want to play it all the time! That hasn't happened since ticket to ride!
on June 20, 2015
I also thought this was the regular edition when I bought it only to find it was not. On a positive note it does seem to be a good step up from Catan Jr. I started my 10 and 9 yo on Jr. and quickly realized it was almost to easy for them (even though they really enjoy it). I broke out this edition and we played a game with minimal time to adjust to the more advanced rules, from the rules they already knew from Catan Jr. When we finished the first game they immediately wanted to play again. So even thought I'm disappointed that I will have to buy the regular edition to get expansions I cant be mad at the fact that it accomplished my main goal of spending some time with my girls that didn't involve the tv, and we all had a really good time.
About 6 weeks ago, I visited some family out of state, and they introduced me to Settlers of Catan, and I wanted a copy of the game for myself.

Playing the game was a lot of fun. Fun for this type of game depends upon the people with whom you play it, as well as the game itself. We had a great time.

This game is not really designed to be educational. It is, however, a thinking and strategy game. It requires each participant to make decisions which create consequences. As such, I think it is a great game for older children and teens because of the thought process it requires and thus teaches.

I enjoy playing the Settles of Catan and would recommend it to anyone who was looking for a complex, thinking, strategy game.
on February 2, 2012
this game is great. the point of the game is to get settlements and cities to move up your points. you need the right cards to get settlements and cities. to get these cards, when you roll, the numbers are matched to the ones on the board,(the tiles that you have settlements or citys on) the thing that that those resources are is what you get. cities are better then settlements, if you are on a tile with a city or settlement and you roll the number of the tile, with a city you get two cards with a settlement only one. there are five diffrent card's hay,sheep,ore,wood, and brick. also cards that you can get, and you get points. there are other point cards too, two special ones you get two points for, longest road (there are roads too) and largest army. the pieces are very durable and don't wear, and they fit in the spaces perfectly

See 1 answered question