Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Catan Seafarers and Seafarers: 5-6 Player Extension
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 27, 2014
NOTE: You can actually buy these for a little less if you get them separately here Catan: Seafarers Game Expansion and here Catan: Seafarers 5 and 6 Player Extension. At the time this review was written, they were selling for $59.99 combined, but if you purchased them separately you can get them for $55.48. That said, the 5 star review is for the games themselves (not the price). I review each of the components below.

CATAN SEAFARERS

Catan Seafarers is a great addition to the base Settlers of Catan game. It adds a little depth and strategy to the game, but not so much that "reluctant gamers" aren't willing to give it a try. It can still be played in a single session, though it does take a little longer to set up and can take longer to play (though this depends on the scenario you choose... see below). It includes all the frame, hex tiles (both sea and terrain), number tokens, harbor tokens, and wooden ships you need to play. Key additions include:

(1) Islands... instead of just one main island you build between 1 and 7 islands depending on which of the 9 scenarios you play. Each scenario has it's own special rules and often extra ways to score victory points along the way.

(2) Ships... you build these like roads to travel from one island to another (these shipping routes act as roads across water). You can also build them along the cost of an island, or connect them to the roads that you build inland. But, unlike roads, ships can move by sailing from one location to another.

(3) Instead of the longest road you compete for the longest trade route which includes both connected road and ship routes.

(4) Gold field terrain... if you have a settlement or city next to a gold field, you can collect ANY of the five resources that you want/need.

(5) The Dreaded Pirate, which is a black ship that prevents you from placing or moving ships adjacent to a hex with the pirate on it. When you roll a 7 or play a knight card you can move EITHER the robber OR the pirate.

My fiance and I are a perfect example of the type of people the expansion is perfect for. She is what some would call a "reluctant gamer" whereas I am an avid gamer, so I have be careful about what games I introduce her to. She prefers games that rely at least a little on luck (i.e., not all strategy) and aren't too complex (i.e., where you can learn/remember the mechanic after a game or two), whereas I love strategy and complexity but don't mind a little luck. We also like games you can finish in a single session (or games you can play multiple times in a single session). Catan Seafarers proved to be perfect for us as it adds some nice but not too much strategy, but still includes a little luck because of the dice and random development cards.

SIDE NOTE: The Catan base game is designed for 3-4 players. But, we actually play it as a two-player game most of the time. If you do a search for "2-player variant world of Catan Wiki," you can find the official two-player rules. They actually work very well for regular Catan, and are also pretty good for Catan Seafarers as well. .

CATAN SEAFARERS 5-6 PLAYER EXTENSION

There are two key reasons to buy this expansion.

(1) The base Catan Seafarers game can only be played with a max of four players, and this expansion lets you play with five or six. It includes the extra sea, terrain, frame, harbor tokens you need to add up to two more players to the game, PLUS 9 new scenarios. It also includes 30 more wooden ships (15 in each of two colors).

(2) You like the color green. The base set only includes the colors red, orange, blue, and white. But, my fiance likes to play green. The 5-6 player expansion includes green colored road, settlement, and city tiles so this was a must have for us as I'll do anything to make her happy. The other color it includes is brown, so I suppose the same could be said if you like to play brown.
on November 22, 2011
I own both this one and the knights and cities. Most of the people I play with enjoy this one more - the knights and the cities could take too long to finish, this one, especially the fog islands, are much more fun. Highly recommended to Catan Junkies.
on December 28, 2012
We have been playing Catan for about 4 years now. Our friends introduced us to the game on New Year's eve and we played until 4 am. So, this Christmas I decided to add a new Catan to our collection. Seafarers is very fun. We played it last night, and it seemed to actually go faster than traditional Catan, because there are more ways to gain victory points. It is set up as 6 islands, and you can start on one or two home islands and then travel by sea to one of the others. Once you plant a settlement there, you garner 2 additional victory points on top of the one for the settlement. This variation was just one of NINE that you can play with this game. I look forward to learning the other eight. By the way... our kids start playing this with us when they are 5. All love it, and the challenges that lie within.
on April 6, 2014
I can`t really compare with other expansions, but I like this one very much because it makes the standard game so much more interesting. The fact that you can change the board in 9 different ways, and even create a board of your fantasy - is worth a lot, as one is always surprised with a new set up, and can`t create a strategy ahead of times. It`s like life - you have to adapt to a new reality on the go. My husband and I and our friends enjoy this game a lot! :)
on September 10, 2014
Bought these for our friends for their wedding (we're all Catan addicts).
Gotta say we love the element of challenge the goldmine tiles create, as well as shipping. Definitely elevates the original version of Catan. Get it!
on January 13, 2009
This game is a good expansion for the Settler's of Catan game, but note it is only an expansion. I think that the Catan series is a great one however I think that the Cites and Knights is better than this one. Note: I play both and enjoy both, i would just suggest the Cites and Knights expansion over this one if you are loking looking to get one of the two.
on January 8, 2014
Just got this game and started playing on New Year's Day. Now my family can't stop playing all the different versions every evening. We love Seafarers, Traders and Barbarians and of course the original Settlers of Catan. I like how you can mix and match and every board game is set up differently to make new map.
on April 23, 2015
Really, who doesn't love anything Settlers? I will say though that the set-up for Seafarers is longer than the other expansion kits and you should plan for an extra 10-15 min for set up and clean up. It's worth it but my gaming group will often chose a different expansion if we are not up for the extra effort.
on March 12, 2014
If you have basic game, this one is a MUST, it adds way too many options to keep having fun, I ordered cities and knights as well to have more setups. This game is probably the best game me and my friends have ever played.
on June 17, 2013
If you play Cataan, you will always include the Seafarer's expansion. Why not bring in a couple more friends into the fold with the 5-6 player expansion?
The 5-6 player Seafarer's expansion also allows customization of the game based on player preferences. For example, if you really don't like fighting others for resources, use the expansion with 3-4 players, increase the victory points necessary to win, and essentially play separate games on one board.