Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on December 21, 2010
I picked up this expansion first after my friends and I got a little bored with plain ol' Settlers. We've been playing with it at least four nights a week we enjoy it so much!

We started with the fish, and that was such an easy add-on, we decided to just try adding the other variants to it slowly. Right now, our perfect balance of fun and complicated is using the Fishermen & Rivers, and a mash-up of Barbarian Attack and Traders & Barbarians all at once. We only leave out the camels, 'cuz we'd always forget to bid on them, and then there were too many darn pieces on the board. We also bumped up the number of points we need to win, and made both captured barbarians and completed Trade cards worth half a point. It's not as hard as you think to combine most of the scenarios together. We just cover up Swamps with the Tradeposts, and leave the castle on the side of the main board so we know which Knight may have perished in battle.

I really like the Event Cards instead of rolling the dice. It makes the game "happen" better. There's no nights where everyone's somehow rolling the same damn number that ain't yours!

We can't get enough Catan!
on June 20, 2013
My kids LOVE this game. We have played it so many times. It's great. My kids are 11, 12 and 13, there is no fighting, bickering or yelling. They co-operate with each other and every game is close, they are never resentful of someone else winning and just want to play again. I love it. I love the original game and I love this expansion. Have some family time and get this game, you won't regret it.
on January 20, 2012
I bought this for my wife for Christmas. It was the last of the main Settlers expansions we didn't have. We haven't stopped playing it yet, and we have yet to try half of the new scenarios and variants. This expansion surprised us with how much diversity and variability it applied to the game. Rather than just adjusting the setup of the map and the number of victory points like Seafarers does, there are several totally new ways to play Settlers in this game. So far, we like the Fisherman of Catan the best, but we haven't tried them all yet. In addition, there are included 2 player rules for any of the Settlers variants, although we are not sure we like these rules better than playing the normal rules with 2 players. There are also cards to replace the dice in any Settlers game, which we definitely like.

Overall, I highly recommend this expansion if you love Settlers and want some variety.
on June 9, 2016
Adding and mixing this expansion with others truly takes the game into a whole other realm. The depth it provides is fantastic but some of the scenarios and variants require some house rule modifications as they tend to help the player ahead get a bigger advantage. In any case, it adds rich and emergent gameplay that you will not really find in other expansion - I recommend mixing with seafarers and cities and knights
on July 21, 2014
My husband, 12YO son and I had been playing Settlers of Catan for several months and were ready to try some of the expansions. We chose this one because it offered multiple scenarios and also an option for a 2 player game. We are very happy with our purchase of this expansion. So far we've tried two of them and can't wait to try the others. Lots of variety and the 2 player option is great.
on January 9, 2014
Traders and Barbarians is basically a collection of small adjustments to traditional Catan (i.e. exchanging out deserts with lakes, or adding rivers across adjacent hexes) that bring new excitement. Since the new components of this expansion can be can be added individually (rather than needed to add the full complexity of Cities & Knights) it is a good expansion for beginners to add smaller changes that are not overly complex. This expansion can also still be played with other expansions, which is a nice option. Overall, Traders & Barbarians is a nice addition to a collection that already includes the other expansions (Seafarers, and Cities & Knights).
on April 6, 2016
The Bottom Line

If you like board games, you should play Settlers of Catan. It's a unique and tremendously fun gaming experience.

Pros
•The best-selling designer/German game of all time.
•Modular board provides amazing replay value.
•Expansion sets add to the basic game.

Cons
•Some say it depends too much on luck. I disagree.
on August 31, 2015
Settlers of Catan is a great game on its own, but adding this expansion has allowed us to keep it fresh and change it up a bit. Our favorite part of this expansion is fishermen of Catan. We play so often that we just leave it out on one of our tables. It requires some strategy, but it is not as infuriating as monopoly. It is really a shame more people haven't heard of this game. Definitely worth buying.
on January 4, 2014
My brother in law and my sister and I all LOVE this game it is so fun and so addicting because you can gradually add more and more pieces and steps to make the fun last longer. HOwever i ordered form warehouse deals Inc. and they promised me all the pieces but we ended up missing 3 or 4 pieces and considering it was a christmas present to my brother in law I was really disappointed to hear that from him. Great Game worth the money IF you get all the pieces!
on February 19, 2013
You can use this expansion with the Original Settlers of Catan (4th Edition, Red Box) I guess you can use with older version, but you'll need to buy the pre-2007 adapter kit and the graphics won't match. So, you're better off to just buy the 4th edition of Settlers of Catan.

Bunch of more scenarios! If you have the Seafarer Expansion (also 4th edition), you can combine it too. Since the Seafarer expansion creates additional smaller island and allows you to use ships as roads. And more Fish!

Have fun!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.