Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Caterpillar Men's 2nd Shift 6" Steel Toe Boot
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

VINE VOICEon June 4, 2009
If I remember correctly, I'm up to my third pair of these boots. The last pair lasted almost exactly two years, and would have lasted longer if I hadn't completely worn down the sole to the point that it was just flat.

They are definitely solid boots. The soft, strong leather improves over time -- they definitely require a break-in period before they're really comfortable, but they will get there after a week or so. The water resistance is excellent as long as the waterline stays below your ankles.

I've been using these as my everyday shoes for some time -- they double nicely as motorcycle boots, and since I ride to work whenever the weather permits, these get a lot of use. Some of the wear in the soles is surely because of this, and I have some marks in the leather above my left toe from the shifter, but it's only noticeable up close. Splashes and kicked up water/oil/dirt from other cars is not a problem at all, although in a good heavy rain, water still gets in through the top as it comes through my jeans and trickles down my leg. But that's unavoidable. The boots are also resistant to slippery surfaces like spots of oil on the asphalt. When I put my foot down at a traffic light, I don't have to worry about my foot slipping.

The use of hooks instead of holes for the ankle part of the boot is a great help in getting them on and off quickly and easily. The only downside to this is that in 12-18 months, the laces will start to fray from being dragged over the hooks over and over. But the laces themselves are strong -- they have a core and sheath composition, so the sheath will eventually give first. Since the laces can still be used for a while with the core exposed, you'll have plenty of time to get another set of laces after the sheath splits. And again, we're talking more than a year before that happens anyway. :)

They do seem to run big, so be wary of that. My shoe size is normally about a 10.5 or 11, but with these shoes I have to buy a 9.5.

One last thing to keep in mind, they're a bit heavy. Mine weigh in at almost a full pound per shoe! So don't expect to be using these for hiking or anything like that -- they're work boots, after all.
33 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2015
Update: 3/4/15 I was helping a friend work on his car (Honda S2000) while I had these boots on. We had to put the car in neutral and push it off the tire ramps. After we pushed it down I tried to take a step away but was stopped at my foot. I looked down and realized the tire was on my foot! It didn't hurt at all and I barely felt it lol. It was at the toe area. There wasn't really much pressure, it felt like it was reinforced. He had to drive the car forward off my foot for me to get free. That was another time I felt good about this purchase.

My first legitimate pair of work boots. Got them at a good deal for about $40 when a promotion was going on. I can't really compare them to other boots since it's my first pair but generally it seems like CAT products are good and sturdy. I have been wearing these for about 2 months so far and it's given me solid support. It looks nice too. If I had to change anything, it'd be the the metal pieces where you wrap the laces around near the top. But it only gives me a problem when I don't lace it up all the way. Maybe it's my jeans. Otherwise, when using all the slots, it's great. Recommended.
review image review image review image
on December 4, 2014
I have sent them back because they are falling apart for a second time. The replacement pair have come separated only after one month of use. Do not buy these boots, they are garbage,
review image review image
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2010
The best boot I ever had. I wear them 5 days a week 9 hour days. I was aware they run about 1/2 size big and ordered the smaller size. I will not buy any other boot.
on April 19, 2015
I expected at least a week of discomfort from a pair of new work boots. The first two days in these were a little rough but by day 3 they were surprisingly feeling pretty good. Now they're comfy as hell, tough as nails, and they look pretty awesome.

Just 3 days into owning these boots I dropped a 300lb generator and thought it missed my foot completely. When I tried to move I found out that the generator was sitting nicely on top of my steel toe. Barely a scratch on the boot.
on May 12, 2015
I am a mechanic and I am on concrete all day long plus use them outside of work. I have bad arches so i get special inserts but overall vey comfaortable boot for the money and they usually last me 5 to 7 months. You will have to buy more insole inserts if you want to last 5 to 7 months. I have been using these boots for 3 years now. To me even Red Wings lasted me just as long but I paid a lot more for them.
on June 7, 2015
Purchased these boots from Mills Fleet Farm in December 2014 when they were on sale cheaper than you could buy them on Amazon. They initially did require a break in time for about a week. I have worn them 6 days a week, for about 10 hours a day since purchasing them in December. They are extremely durable work boots and I am impressed with them. I normally wear down the outside of the soles when wearing work boots walking on the concrete floor in my shop. Looking at the soles now into 6 months of use/wear, no wear is visible on the soles of the shoes!
The shoe laces are even holding up well into my daily use, showing no signs of wear whatsoever. I have found with other brands that the "round" shoe laces do not stay tied. The caterpillar boot laces are round and these laces stay tied. My shop is located 200 feet from my house and I found the traction walking from the house to the shop this winter in the snow to be excellent. These are excellent boots despite the fact that they are foreign made. I do recommend these boots.
on July 10, 2013
I got these for my husband to wear at work. It took him about a week to break them in but they are perfect now, he has no complaints. I definitely suggest sizing down, they run about 1 whole size big.
on December 25, 2012
after reading reviews for these boots I originally purchased 1/2 size smaller than my normal shoe size. But take note, unless you're going to be wearing layers of socks, one full size is a better fit.
on February 22, 2016
I have now bought two pairs of these boots.

They are okay.

They are not overly comfortable, but they get the job done and are not terrible.

My first pair lasted...period. Only got a new one when I did because my employer pays $75 towards a new pair every year so...why wouldn't I?

I am a truck driver who both drives and spends quite a bit of time unloading and the toes in these boots certainly have saved me quite a bit of pain and actually become useful for kicking things like pallets around, saving my back a bit.

Point: These are well made, durable, sturdy boots. A good buy for less than $100. The only two things I do not like about them that make these boots lose a star are:

1- The strings kind of suck. They broke fast and are overly stretchy for my liking. This is a minor issue, as nice strings are quite inexpensive (couple of dollars).
2- The boots could be more comfortable and the padding inside wears down within the first few months.

Overall, a solid inexpensive pair of boots that could last up to two years, but I would advise, for comfort sake, replacing at least yearly.