Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Cats - Ultimate Edition
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on July 18, 2016
This is for the DVD version: I loved the VHS "Cats: The Musical" that I wore out watching. I ordered this DVD (and a Blue Ray). I'm disappointed in this DVD. It is supposed to play in NTSC 1 (U.S. and Canada) but it did't play on the DVD in the TV with the built in DVD. It didn't play on my laptop. It does play on our PS3, so I assume it will also play on the PS4. The picture is grainy. It is supposed to be widescreen, but the picture shows up as a smaller rectangle in our television screen with a large black border around the movie. I'm disappointed, but I do get to see the movie again. I'm glad that I didn't give this as a gift.

Blue Ray: Not digitally remastered, but as good as my VHS copy. The wide screen fits our TV and isn't in a black box. (Photo is of DVD version). I like the blue ray better than the DVD. It isn't as grainy and doesn't have the weird box around the picture.
review image
11 comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 21, 2016
This dvd was a very poorly made copy. Let me be clear about this, I loved the musical Cats, and this review is not about the musical itself, but about the dvd. This was supposed to be a commemorative widescreen edition, and it was not.
It started on a confusing soundtrack selection screen with a very fuzzy background picture of the Victoria cat and then went straight to the regular screen movie completely skipping the menu selection screen, which only showed up after the movie. I did check and there was no widescreen option at all.
Some of the scenes were so badly copied it was painful to watch, but I stuck with it all the way through the final credits, to the bitter end. It was like watching a badly made YouTube video. A very generous estimate is that only about 25% of the movie had a clear, sharp picture, 50% was hazy, and 25% was so badly hazy it was difficult to force myself to keep watching.
What made it even worse was that, in some scenes where the camera switches from one person to another part of the stage, it would go from an extremely hazy picture to a very clear picture (or vice versa) several times like that, making it very disorientating.
I'm very disappointed in this purchase. It was meant to be a replacement for my original Cats dvd that was lost in a move. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, I don't think it's worth returning, and I would be embarrassed to even give away this badly made copy.
on November 21, 2016
This is my all-time favorite musical. I'm a fan of T.S. Eliot literature as well, so I was hoping the Blu-ray was better quality than the DVD. Unfortunately, it's not. The sound is not consistent as with the DVD, so you have to keep adjusting the volume because you either can't hear certain parts, or they are too loud if you turn it up to hear the low parts. Also, the picture quality is not much different from DVD, or it isn't at all. If you have the DVD, no need to get the Blu-ray. If you don't have a copy at all and want one, go for whichever is cheaper, as the quality is most likely the same.
on May 8, 2015
I'm torn with giving this a 3 or 4 start review. "Cats" is one of my favorite musicals and is probably one of the first musicals that I ever saw. I have always loved this production and have cherished my VHS copy. Now that technology has changed, I knew that I would eventually need to upgrade my copy of "Cats" in order to be able to keep watching it.

I was really excited when I found this DVD version and bought it right away. However, I was a little disappointed with it at the same time.

It's ironic that the quality of my VHS version is better than this DVD. There is a slight film on the DVD version that make is appear grainier. I'm mainly happy that I can at least watch it on DVD, but it's disappointing when the DVD cover says it's a "commemorative edition," but the quality doesn't appear to have been enhanced. At least the sound quality is still the same.

Now comes a strange part. The back of the DVD tells you about the behind-the-scenes feature, but no where does it tell you the addition to Skimbleshanks' song. I was greatly surprised as I was watching it when an extra 30 seconds or so was included in the middle of his song. I had never seen this addition in the VHS version. It's great that this has been included, but personally I didn't like the addition because it was so different from what I had grown up with. This appeared to be the only difference between the VHS and DVD versions in regards to the musical itself.

So, even though the copy is not as perfect as I would have hoped it to be, I'm happy to at least have a version of it to own.
on July 11, 2016
This is just a horrible transfer to the blu-ray format. It's powdery snow all around - the entire time. I have the Japanese release DVD which is a million times better than this disater of a release. Why Growltiger's Last Stand is not included - even as a separate clip under Extras is just unacceptable. One has to search for it in YouTube to get a taste of its grandiosity. Skip this junk, waych the upcoming Broadway revival with a much better, and more current/younger choreographer instead.
11 comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 21, 2016
When I was a child, I practically lived with my Grandparents... They had CATS on VHS and I'd watch it almost every night before bed. I remember dancing around the living room and jumping on the hide-a-bed I slept on.

I would say that this isn't the highest quality I had hoped for but doing some research, there isn't a true blu-ray edition because really no one in the United States has help support and fund a true remastering. It looks like VHS, maybe DVD quality. I don't really care what it looks and sounds like personally, I was pretty pleased with it anyways, I am so glad that I bought this. :)
on March 3, 2015
I had never seen Cats. After seeing parts of this DVD, I still don't think I can say I've seen Cats. The way it is taped, I guess was to make it more appealing to an audience watching on their tv? I kinda wish I could have seen it how the Broadway show was originally experienced in the theater.

But other than that, it seems to be the classic show that everyone loved so much. My Grandmother requested this DVD and she has been watching it everyday. My daughter loved watching it as well, and I was interested to learn it is based on T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. I think that I will be reading that to her.
on November 14, 2017
Love the musical, but have never had a chance to see the play. It is very addictive to watch. Great songs and the cast is very convincing as cats. I think it would be a great movie for cat lovers. The cats would probably watch it. :-)
on January 26, 2017
I have seen Cats twice in off-Broadway touring and really enjoy this DVD. Visual and sound quality are very good. The only thing I wish were different is more wide-angle or distance shots. This is a performance that is better enjoyed at a distance to give the full effect of stage design and costuming. Too close and you see too much of the make-up. Still, a great DVD to have in your collection.
on January 19, 2014
After seeing a live U.S production of Cats performed in the late 90s, I don't think I ever saw a staged performance that had quite the effect on me as a child (that included performances of Les Misérables and Phantom of the Opera, to boot). The setting was incredible, the costumes were elaborate, the songs were powerful, and the overall production made me think of my fuzzy companions at home in a new way for quite some time. Now an adult, I watched the film on DVD and got to experience all of those beloved components of the musical once again.

As far as the movie goes, I enjoyed every song and character quirk in it, from Munkustrap's constant attention to detail to Mr. Mistofelees'.magic tricks. The casting was excellently done, with the likes of veterans Elaine Paige (Grizabella) and Sir John Mills (Gus the Theatre Cat) performing, along with Ken Page as Old Deuteronomy. Even the little-to-unknown actors like John Partridge as the sinful tom Rum Tum Tugger, the mischievous duo of Drew Varley and Jo Gibb (Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer), and Geoffrey Garratt as the ever-punctual Skimbleshanks, carried the show just as well as their seasoned contemporaries. As expected, Andrew Lloyd Webber's music is incredible and every song is a joy to listen to, especially the show-stopping renditions of "Memory" by Grizabella and Jemima.

I'm a sucker for special features, and I'll say now that The Ultimate Edition provides some VERY satisfying bits on the 2nd disc. Hearing firsthand about the uphill battle that Andrew Lloyd Webber and the rest of his team had to go through to get the original Cats musical together definitely brings a greater sense of appreciation for the film and how far it came from 1981. In addition, there’s a feature on the makeup that was interesting to watch.

Finally, my only gripes with the film involve the lack of "Growltiger's Last Stand" (an epic song in its own right), as well as a lack of subtitles for the movie when they were present on the special feature commentaries. I only mention subtitles because the accents/enunciation of some of the actors and a couple of the ensemble songs were a bit of a challenge to comprehend.

In general, I’d recommend this for anyone, really. It’s such an entertaining musical that newcomers and lovers of musical theatre alike will be hooked on this film and enjoy the antics of the Jellicles for years to come.