Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,340 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,529 reviews
on January 30, 2013
I couldn't stop grinning for the first 30 minutes....I was in awe the rest of the time. 40 years later and still the greatest.

This concert lives up to the hype. You'll understand why Led Zeppelin is the greatest band EVER.
This is how it's done....

John Paul Jones holds it all together as the most talented utility man in the business. He can play anything.
Jimmy Page Is in fine form, nails all his parts, his trademark sound and swagger, it's all there, and he plays with the emotion and skill he's known for.
Robert Plant sounds better here than he has in literally years and somehow manages to consistently hit high notes he hasn't hit in 20 years.
Last but not least.... Jason Bonham. Wow. He holds it down in a way that would make his old man proud. No one else could sit behind this band and pound those skins in a such a way that you could legitimately call this LED ZEPPELIN. He's been in the business a long time and has played with some of the best musicians in the world. This is nothing contrived. If anyone deserves to be there, it's him.

The set list rocks and each number is tight. They seem to get stronger as the set goes on which is incredible to witness.
I'd give an appendage to have been at this show. Not having the opportunity to be there just reaffirms the fact that life isn't fair. I'll have to be content to see it here instead.....but at that rate, I'm not going to complain.

The sound quality of the BluRay is fantastic. The video quality is fantastic. The light show is perfect.
Do yourself a huge favor and play this on a credible home theater system.....loud. Real loud.
on June 5, 2013
I tried playing the Amazon's MP3 files of this album but found they were of not great quality. Likely best to just get the Audio Only Blu-Ray of this album. (I'm not sure if the video version includes a Uncompressed PCM 5.1 stream.)

Although this is an audio only Blu-Ray, it does export a black and white video title page with the title of each song, per HDMI spec. Personally, I just want the audio and I find the audio file provided is one big blob with no separate tracks. Guessing any software playing the stream will use stream seeks to find the tracks. (And seems to be evident by the slow response when using Windows software players.)

An interesting note, I usually tend to avoid LIVE albums as the audience screaming tends to overwhelm the music. Not so with this mix and seems they tended to keep the audience to minimal levels and only heard during the beginning and ends of the tracks. But within the Amazon MP3's, all I heard was audience and bass which was very unlike the quality of the Blu-Ray Audio version.

MULTIPLE STREAMS PROVIDED:
Thanks to FFMPEG/FFPLAY, here's a quick listing of streams:
Stream #0:0[0x1011]: Video: h264 (High) (HDMV / 0x564D4448), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: pcm_bluray (HDMV / 0x564D4448), 48000 Hz, stereo, s32, 2304 kb/s
Stream #0:2[0x1101]: Audio: pcm_bluray (HDMV / 0x564D4448), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32, 6912 kb/s
Stream #0:3[0x1102]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA) ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 1536 kb/s

Surprisingly, it looks like Stream #0:2 is the best quality containing 24/32 bit versus DTS at only 16 bit? Albeit, the streams do vary slightly in quality from track to track. So far, my favorite is Stream #2 providing Uncompressed PCM 5.1 sound, exhibiting the best quality. However, I use Linux and seemingly Linux is not able to play through DTS-HD Master streams through to a receiver, and only use pass-through DTS. As such, I'm biased towards PCM and PCM-5.1 streams. (Seems Cyberlink PowerDVD might be remixing or changing the stream header in high-definition or bit-stream mode, but the stream still seems to have identical rates when playing on Linux.)

The DTS stream is a bit more dynamic or contains more coherent drum beats (or the attack wave of each drum beat creates more of a pop sound) when compared to the other PCM streams. PCM streams sound somewhat flattened. I guess that's why they call it DTS Coherent Acoustics. The DTS stream is also of slightly lesser quality as previously mentioned, but the DTS encoding makes up for this and any quality difference is almost inaudible. (I think it's been stated, consumers will notice very little difference, unless they're amplifying and playing the music within a large area?)

When playing back the Uncompressed PCM 5.1 stream, ensure you're playing through a connection capable of handling the bandwidth such as HDMI. (S/PDIF will downmix to two channels, or software may compress the stream to a compressed Dolby/DTS if you're lucky.) It's difficult to tell if my receiver is playing all six channels over HDMI or only playing two channels, while mirroring the others using it's high quality decoder chip.

I should also make mention, after relaxing after dealing with all this encryption stuff for the past weeks, I finally sat back and listened to both PCM5.1 and DTS streams. The PCM streams seem to be slightly overloaded with loudness (AKA Loudness Wars Wikipedia), so I opened the PCM-5.1 stream within Audacity and lessened the gain to -6dB (or -3dB to -6dB) on channels 1-2 or the main two channels. (The two channels were significantly louder than the other 4 channels.) After doing so, I noticed the music sounded much more like music, similar to the older style Led Zeppelin recordings. Further reducing the gain again only on these two channels resulted in a retro 1980's style Robert Plant vocal solo, similar to his riffs within the Nirvana and Tall Cool One albums. (See my note made on 2013.11.03. Seems my Yamaha RX-V375 defaults to PEQ Mixer after using YPAO. Switching off the mixer and ensuring no other Enhanced modes are used, the center channel now definitely seems louder requiring no volume level changes to the channels.)

ENCRYPTION:
Unfortunately, using Linux MPlayer with AACS to play this Blu-Ray is impossible as MPlayer complains vigorously about encryption errors. I had to again use the expensive $50 Linux version of makemkv program to copy to local hard drive; wasting space, time and energy. I am not a fan of forcing honest people who pay for their products to have to struggle to use encryption and preventing them from enjoying their products. Shrugs. I did notice once I decrypted the streams onto another Blu-Ray for using within Linux, the Blu-Ray would play just fine within the Windows proprietary Blu-Ray Movie player. Plus one here, for not screwing the honest consumer over. ;-) ... Movies tend not to play properly within the proprietary Windows player after copied, giving some FBI warning. Guess it's probably wise to expect blacklisting or problems traveling to other countries criminalizing consumers for playing purchased commercial Blu-Ray media within Linux?

FINAL NOTES:
You mileage may very with this review, as it's written according to only what I hear. For those seeking higher quality than CD Audio, or higher resolutions than 24 bit 48000 Hz, these are above the range of human hearing. If you have problems with playing Blu-Ray media like I do, might be best to stick with CD or DVD media.

2013.06.10 - After several weeks, I've finally learned how to extract the audio files for my enjoyment and have written a Gentoo Wiki "FFmpeg - Extract Blu-Ray Audio" for others. Another headache with the Blu-ray audio, is making sure the software playing device is playing at the highest audio quality possible rather than down mixing. Best method so far, buy a audio receiver capable of playing 24 Bit PCM WAV files via USB storage devices. Very little degradation versus HDMI and S/PDIF! Also, apparently the Yamaha RX-V375 will only play 16 Bit PCM Microsoft WAV files and not 24 Bit PCM WAV files! Will require a Yamaha >= RX-V475 receiver for 24 bit playback via USB?

2013.06.11 - Added notes about loudness on channels one and two. Cited DTS as being more coherent on drum beat attacks, and DTS Coherent Acoustics. Minor grammar corrections. I'm really glad I purchased the high-resolution. As they say, avoid the eye-candy and go for meat.

2013.11.03 - Just found my RX-V375 defaults to PEQ Equalizer when using YPAO to setup the speakers. Using PEQ remixes the audio and apparently lowers the volume of some of the channels of PCM 5.1 streams. Setting the Equalizer to OFF, and ensure any Enhance modes are switched off, seems to play the audio a little louder within the center channel now.
on August 23, 2017
Great show, great sound. Ridiculous number of formats. You want the concert film on Blu Ray? - Fine - you just can't have the DVD of bonus material. That only comes in the 2CD +2DVD package. Blu Ray is only 2CD+Blu Ray and does not include the (admittedly weak) bonus material. I chose the Blu Ray version thinking it would look and sound best, but I can't really tell you if the Blue Ray sounds better than the DVD as I haven't heard the DVD.
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2012
Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day arrived at my home from Amazon, and I couldn't wait to get it into my Blu Ray player. After being rejected in lotteries for a couple of Zep shows back in the very late 70s before the tragic death of John Bonham (my inspiration for drumming), this release finally provides the opportunity to see the band perform in the next best way to seeing them live.

This performance was captured at London's O2 Arena, and could be held up as a perfect example of the way a rock group should perform live. Barring some jumpy video editing, the show is a gem. I'll get to the jumpy video editing in a sec.

The Celebration Day concert is all show. Close up shots of each band member dominate the screen throughout and capture not only the great talents of the players, but also some moments of intimacy between the bandmates that are often missed in other DVD musical shows. Most importantly, there are no theatrics here to distract from the Zeppelin classics that comprise the awesome setlist; it's just the guys playing on a brightly lit stage. And all of the boys clearly committed to each other to give performances that were true to the studio versions.

As anyone reading this already knows, Jason Bonham fills in for his Dad on drums for this show...and he completely nails the essence of his Dad's drumming style both in look and style. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are also completely on for the Celebration Day show. Page's white hair showed his age, but his guitar work showed his expertise. Jones' bass and keyboards sounded precise. But one of the key elements?...Plant's vocals sounded terrific; I have to say that I was blown away by how much he sounded like Robert Plant circa 1977. Just amazing.

The picture quality and sound are absolutely terrific. If you've got a surround system, you're in for a pounding Rock experience. The sound has an amazing DTS mix.

Unfortunately, as I alluded to earlier, the video (most of the time) jumps around every 4 seconds (or less), so you really don't get to see the performance in a way that makes you feel like you're in a front row seat right there at the O2 Arena back in 2007. The jumpiness makes you feel like...well...you're watching a DVD. Video producers need to leave the performance to the band and stop the self-indulgent "look what I can do with 16 cameras" editing. It's the worst during the fast songs; it's almost like the video editing team said, "Fast song...let's go with superfast camera changes." And all that really does is take away from the front row perception.

There were also some minor occasions where the videographer thought the viewer might like to see effects like a filtered, red screen, stop motion, slow motion or imagery effects. That kind of video-malarkey was quite popular in the 70s and even Zep's The Song Remains the Same DVD. But c'mon, even if it was some nostalgic nod to the video ways of when Zep was at their height, I think it's something we would all prefer to do without. But none of the aforementioned really took too much away from this excellent Blu Ray composition.

For the show you get the following setlist:

1. Good Times Bad Times
13. Misty Mountain Hop
14. Kashmir
15. Whole Lotta Love
16. Rock And Roll

It runs for 2 hours, but, man, it felt like 20 minutes; I was screaming for more after that last track. These guys have GOT to pull it together for the fans and put this show on the road (I'm looking at you, ROBERT!!!).

You also get (with the Deluxe Edition) a disappointing bonus DVD that has the entire show recorded at their Shepperton Studio dress rehearsal. It's kinda cool to see, but it's a stationary single view camera with poor audio. Almost as bad as all those handheld bootlegs on YouTube of the show that we had to watch up until this release. There's minimal interaction by the band members between songs, and nothing that makes the inclusion of this bonus DVD anything other than the equivalent of another YouTube cell phone video.

The packaging and accompanying booklet are fair at best. It's a CD sized fold-out that houses the Blu Ray show, the bonus DVD, and audio of the show on 2 CDs with a booklet that has some brief (but heartfelt) band member comments about the show.

But this release is not about the packaging or extras; it's about the perfect, 5-star performance that Led Zeppelin delivered on December 10, 2007 and our ability to now share the experience on Blu Ray in high def awesomeness. It's the Led Zep live Blu Ray release we've all been waiting for. Any Zeppelin fan will enjoy this disk immensely. There is no question here. Find a way to add this to your collection.

Concert: 5 stars
Sound and Video Quality: 5 stars
Video Editing: 2 stars
review image review image
5150+ comments| 385 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2017
An epic show start to finish. The band was arguably tighter than they were "back in the day", no doubt aided by what I assume would be sobriety, a love for the legacy, and a desire to make Ahmet Ertegun proud.

Plant still can hit the notes with his characteristic swagger, Jones looks timeless and as talented as ever, son Jason shows there is magic in DNA, and Page, though finally appearing as though his deal with the devil might be nearing its end, is the virtuoso we know him to be. You'll see. When Kashmir breaks loose and you get goosebumps, you'll know you made the right call on this show.

Something I play for my kids- just so they know what a talented band looks and sounds like
on April 4, 2017
The performances from this concert are nothing short of epic. While they definitely benefit from modern production and electronics (especially compared to early 70s effects, etc.), the underlying player talent is not masked by technology. Plant's voice is mostly right on point, and there are hints of that passion for the music that put Zep on the map all those years ago. Jason Bonham does his late dad proud, the icing on the cake!
on November 19, 2012
I have been a huge fan of Led Zeppelin for as long as I have been a fan of music, and I have been looking forward to the O2 show being released commercially since I watched low quality cell phone videos after the show. It was obvious that the performance was fantastic and the band sounded sensational. When they announced Celebration Day, I pre-ordered on Amazon same day and set aside most of my Monday night to watch the blu ray.

I cranked up my surround sound earlier tonight and popped in the Blu Ray. While Good Times Bad Times sounded great, there was something that wasn't quite right. I soon realized that it was the editing of the video. I knew from reading advance info that they filmed the show with 16 cameras. This should have been a positive, but just because you HAVE 16 cameras doesn't mean you have to continuously use them. The video very rarely stays on the same camera shot for more than 3 seconds. Once I realized that was what was messing up the flow of the show, I actually started counting. I hoped that it was a tempo thing tied to the first song, but it continued for the whole show and was very distracting. It also made it hard to observe the interactions between the band members, which is too bad because everything I read about the show was that they really seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Putting the video portion aside, they sounded incredible. Plant's vocals are at least as good as they were live near the end of Zeppelin (ie - Knebworth show), and far better than at the other one-off reunions in the 80's. On some songs, Plant's somewhat weathered voice actually worked better than his younger vocals. Page sounded great, and it doesn't sound like they did much as far as overdubs in the studio - it is Jimmy's performance, with all the highlights and the occasional warts. JPJ and Jason Bonham were powerful and as tight as if they'd played together for years.

As a fan, it was worth getting the deluxe edition for the video of the rehearsal. The video (shot from a single stationary camera pretty far back) and audio quality is obviously not up to the standard of the O2 show, but some of the performances sounded like they were even better than the O2 versions.

Despite my disappointment in how this performance was presented on video, I would still recommend it to any Zeppelin fan, provided they already owned Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin's performance and the audio CDs are 5 star, but it is mystifying to me that what may be the last performance by this epic band was edited together so poorly, especially since my understanding was that Jimmy and JPJ were heavily involved.
5150+ comments| 198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2016
I bought the Celebration CD/DVD set a few years ago and just watched the DVD. I'm sorry I waited so long. The DVD flat-out kicked butt -- and I'm not even a huge Zeppelin fan. I watched the DVD on a 40-inch flat screen, combined with a $2,000, 15 year old, 5/1 surround sound system. After a few tweaks to the system I honed in the sound and felt like I was at the concert. Great sound, beautiful picture, well produced. I'd give it 6 stars if I could.
on December 14, 2012
ok, I'm one of Zep's biggest fans, and pieced downloaded O2 videos from u-tube and assembled into a complete concert DVD. It was a labor of love - sometimes finding a better vid to replace something ragged. I've watched it on my home theater several times, but naturally the video quality on an 8' HD system was severely lacking...fast forward 5 years later... Finally Jimmy convinced Robert to release the pro-shot footage. And what an awesome show it was - one for the history books. These older rockers were able bring back the excitement and rekindled fond memories of seeing them at the sold out Pontiac Silverdome back in '77. They are all in excellent form. Robert can still belt it out and hit many of the high notes, though the songs were reworked to better align with his voice. Jason starts off nervously but soon melds nicely with the band and starts to have some fun, though I have to admit I miss the deep thump of Bonzo's foot pedal. Jason has about 80% of the drumming chemistry his dad possessed, which was truly larger than life in the drumming world. Jimmy plays around - and occasionally leads the band into unknown territory - but being the "best garage band in the world", he knows how to bring them back. What can one say about John Paul Jones...except he is technically PERFECT. Nobody does it better. Is this a great concert video - yes, if you like constant cuts to the various members - mainly waist up. The viewer definitely misses the constant panorama of the large screen presentation going on behind them. Several montages are completely missing, and that was an integral part of the show. Favorite song: Hard to pick, but For Your Life stands out - never before played live. Do I recommend this? Without doubt - it is highly likely that there will never be another show by this band. It is history - and a must have for all 70's rock fans.
on December 7, 2012
I pre-ordered this from Amazon. When I got it I went home after work and put the DVD in the Blu-ray player. I was blown away from the opening licks. It's like they never quit, much less 32 years ago. There are no words to express the feeling of watching the members of the group, plus Jason Bonham drumming, slipping right into place in the music.
Jimmy Page has some new toys for his guitars, as does John Paul Jones' keyboards. Jason wails away on a new set of Ludwig Vistalites and in several songs, especially at the end or "Rock and Roll", I see him channeling his father. He admits as much in the liner notes. It's something to see. The only thing Jason does differently than his ol' Daddy is use a double bass pedal on the songs requiring the bass drum triplets that John did with ONE PEDAL (!!). I drum and it took me a long time to find out that he did triplets on the single Ludwig Speed King pedal. Amazing. I love my old Speed King, but I ain't THAT fast!
John Paul is as rock steady and fluid as he ever was and his keyboard work hasn't lost any of it's original luster. I always admired his bass runs on "What Is and What Should Never Be" and "Ramble On". He and Bonham completed each other and it's the same on this show.
Robert's voice took a bit to get warmed up. But when he did, I wasn't disappointed. I know some of the songs had the key changed, but it didn't mess anything up.
The rehearsal dvd wasn't as thrilling as the show. Practice is just that: practice. This was recorded 4 days before the show, so it was as smooth as the show, with the exception of one song Jason muffed, but on the next effort was nailed down tight. The only thing I didn't like about the dvd was the fixed camera position. Nothing was clearly visible. But, that's ok; it was practice.
If you don't have this set, I don't know why or you've been on a deserted island. Get it. If you're unhappy with it, mail it to me. I'm sure I'll end up wearing my copy out!