Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 221 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 273 reviews
on February 4, 2014
Comedy and drama are deftly blended in this touching and unusual movie about a couple on the verge of divorce who are having trouble letting go and moving on. Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg are perfectly cast in the title roles; their characters are flawed but lovable, and both actors give sensitive and honest performances. The supporting players are uniformly excellent, and director Lee Toland Krieger capitalizes on all the inherent laughter and heartache in the clever script which was written by leading lady Jones and Will McCormack (who also plays the part of Skillz in the film).

The blu-ray offers superb picture and sound, and contains a numbers of bonus features, including a "making of" featurette, a Q&A session conducted at the LA Film Fest where the film made its debut, a few deleted scenes, two commentaries, and the theatrical trailer for this film and several other Sony Pictures Classics releases. For me, the biggest surprise contained in the bonus material was interview footage of Andy Samberg, in which he expressed a certain level of insecurity about his ability to play the more serious scenes in the film; I've always detected a layer of truth in his comedy, even when he was playing slapstick, and so it didn't surprise me at all that he was able to tap into that same humanity and play drama convincingly.

"Celeste and Jesse Forever" is highly recommended to fans of the various cast members, to moviegoers looking for a new spin on an old theme (romantic comedies about divorced couples), and to student filmmakers interested in seeing how a small, modestly budgeted film can be expertly put together. A gem.
on April 2, 2013
I did not expect this movie to be as good as it was when I decided to purchase it. This is one of those movies that, when you reflect back on the situations the main characters find themselves in, you really appreciate the movie and may end up watching it a second or third time through. The acting was solid, especially when it needed to be (like when she finds out the big news), and most of the time when I asked myself: "How would I react to that?", their reactions were largely similar to what mine would have been.

My favorite part is the "climax" when the two main characters finally confront their emotions outside of the bar and they do it angrily and storm off. You can really feel Rashida Jones' heart breaking in that sequence of scenes as she is at her wit's end and has nothing left to lose so she goes for broke and comes up short.

This ending was the type of ending I LOVE because you will like it, or dislike it, based on who you are as a person. No doubt they are perfect for each other and had great chemistry (both in the movie and as actor/actress) and this really made the point stick that sometimes life just doesn't happen the way we want it to and no matter how much we kick and scream, it carries on with or without us.

I actually loved the language in this movie. I feel like it was placed well. I will never understand how people consider vulgar language to be indicative of anything other than a different way to express yourself. Her use of the f-bomb when she finds out the big news framed this movie's dialogue and was awesome.
on July 3, 2017
Who knew a breakup could make for a fun movie?
This film is about two people who truly love one another and get along fantastically, but fundamentally want different things out of life. I found this movie relatable, funny, smart and refreshing. Plus, Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones have great chemistry.
on September 7, 2016
I ended up renting this movie because my wife really loves Parks and Rec, and had been wanting to check this out for a while because of Rashida Jones' involvement. It's a well-made film, in that the overall production is solid ; however, I found the characters in the film, and their overall development throughout the film, to be incredibly irritating. That said-- my wife, who was super excited to finally see this, was left more disappointed than I was with this movie. It's one of those films where... it's not bad, it's just sort of OK. Overall it's worth checking out. I'm sure some people will love it, that just wasn't the case here.
on January 31, 2016
I heard about this movie and I was a fan of both the actors, so I decided to check it out. I really enjoyed it. There was some humor within it, but there was also a lot of heart. There were moments where my insides like scrunched up. It tells a story of a couple in such a realistic way that I really appreciated it. If you're looking for a romantic comedy that is more realistic to real life and not just a fantasy, then I suggest you watch this. Perhaps not recommended for people who just experienced a break-up, unless you want to be extra sad. The DVD came in a standard plastic case with one disk. It arrived in a timely manner.
on November 10, 2015
A bittersweet rom-com that will ring true with anyone who has been caught in that middle ground between friends/lovers with your ex, where you can't quite let go, and continue to be best friends until all of a sudden, one of you moves on. I have been there. However, Andy Samberg has no charisma or acting ability. I found Celeste and Jesse together insufferable and I just kept thinking..."Celeste, you're mooning over whiney, self-centered, sophomoric Jesse when you have hot, sweet, funny Chris Messina waiting in the wings?" I would have rewritten the movie to have less Jesse, and more of her finding herself with Paul.
on April 15, 2016
This was a good movie too bad it didn't do well in the movies however I find quiet a few gems on Amazon by honest reviews and not critics. Everything that Hollywood promotes are high budget action movies while they have their place we miss out on alot of good movies. I usually find a good share by putting in the actors name that I like and seeing what comes up. In this case Elijah Wood although his part wasn't big I still enjoyed this movie quiet a bit..rent it you won't be disappointed. Although I will say its not a laugh all the time type of thing.
on December 28, 2014
Although I did not hate the movie like some of those that only gave it one star, I somehow expected a lot more from it. I think Rashida is trying too hard at having the things she is part of be amazing (such as was the case with the tv show from A to Z). It has it's moment but I just thought the story line was going to take me somewhere else. I did not expect poor Jesse to be so involved all of a sudden making it impossible for the story to go anywhere else. I don't know, I thought it would be simpler I guess. It's not a bad movie but I'm still glad it was only three bucks. Watch it if you have nothing else to do and just want to see a new movie, but don't expect too much out of it. Happy watching!
on June 5, 2013
If you're looking for a romantic-comedy-drama that strays from the usual formula, this movie is definitely worth checking out. The writing and acting are both very good, and Jones and Samberg have great chemistry. Jones' likability in particular carries the film through some of its more uncomfortable moments. And Emma Roberts' character, which has more shading than secondary characters in this type of movie generally get, is a delight. While not quite as good, it reminded me of one of my favorite romantic comedies -- (500) Days of Summer -- for its honest-feeling portrayal of how love unravels. The apt soundtrack is a bonus.
on March 5, 2013
Man, all the pieces are there, the performances were good, and everything seemed right, but... I never bonded with any of the characters in a positive or negative way. The supporting characters lacked depth, and the main characters were not entirely likable. I get it, we all screw up our lives, some of us better than others, but I didn't feel myself rooting for someone to come out "ahead" in the end. Also, the weird little rituals between Celeste and Jesse were just too over the top. They were shooting for a bonding quirkiness, but instead fell into offputting. (Is "offputting" even a word?) You won't feel you wasted your time by watching this movie, particularly if the situation hits close to home, but don't expect to come away with any deep insights into relationships.