Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning DrWho DrWho DrWho  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Style: Travel Scope 70 with Backpack|Change

Showing 1-10 of 801 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 881 reviews
on December 4, 2014
Amazing telescope. I have used a number of telescopes and this is one of the best based on flexibility, ease of use and performance. When mounted on a simple Eq. tracking mount I am getting better pictures than with my C925 that has been a significant source of disappointment. For this price there is no better telescope in the market.

Just edited my original review to add a few photos I took last winter, including lovely comet Lovejoy. These photos are from a really dark place and were processed with Photoshop. However, I just needed a 1-minute exposure at 6400 ISO with my Canon DSLR connected directly to the rear of the telescope (no diagonal). Then I mounted the telescope on a regular Eq. Mount (an additional advantage of this telescope is that it is very light so no heavy duty mount is required... however it needs to be properly aligned and you need to be careful not to touch the camera, telescope or mount when taking a photo to avoid vibration). When I bought this telescope I was needing the equivalent of a 400mm to 600mm lens for my Canon DSLR. These lenses cost several thousand dollars so I bought instead this telescope as it was a very low risk investment compared to the potential benefits. As you can see it really paid off....
4040 comments| 885 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2016
For the price this is a steal! Got this telescope for my grandfather for his birthday. He is outside a lot on the patio at night and always watches the stars so I figured it was time to give him, what he never knew, he always wanted. A great beginner scope! After focusing the scope properly and taking a glance at the moon it almost feels like you could reach out and grab it. Wonderful!
on November 18, 2016
Bought as gift for 7 year old niece who wanted a telescope. I did not want to buy a kids toy but also did not want to spend a fortune. I chose this product because it had good reviews, came with a carrying case, and the tripod had adjustable legs (I read a review of a different telescope with a tabletop tripod and it's use was limited due to not being able to be set many places, especially outside).
on January 13, 2017
Bought this for my 5-year-old son, who is interested in astronomy. Didn't want to get him a "toy" telescope that he'd outgrow, so looked for a reasonably priced "real" telescope that (size-wise) would be suitable for a child, and one that the whole family could also use. This telescope is perfect! It's a good size and height for our needs. My husband and son have used it, and my husband is very impressed with it's magnification. High quality, especially for the low cost. They've been looking at the moon, and my husband has been reporting back all the great views and detail they are getting (it's been too cold for me to attempt to go outside yet, lol. Sorry, I'm not standing outside in 15 degree weather).

We go camping about 3 times a year, which was another reason I purchased this product. It will be perfect to carry along with us!
on July 14, 2016
I knew nothing about stargazing or what to buy, and for the price, I don't think you can get any better. The setup was simple and great for looking at the moon and stars. With the included eye pieces you can see the moon extremely well (10mm lens used in my photos), but other planets just look like colored dots.

If it's your first time, I'd recommend the 20mm lense included to start. It's much easier to locate objects, as the 10mm lens will make the scope super touchy. Which brings me to the slight downside: the tripod. The tripod is super cheap and the slightest breeze causes the scope to shake enough to blur the image. Having a hand on the scope or tripod will cause it to shake a lot. Even getting it set and left untouched, the weight of the scope will cause it to slowly slip down and lose your image.

Honestly it's not really a downside in my opinion. The scope is so cheap that the tripod just feels like a bonus. Super impressed with this and would definitely buy again!
review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 30, 2013
I wanted a telescope that would grow with my grandkid who was turning 8 and this was one of her birthday gifts. In making this choice, I turned to the reviews left by fellow Amazon reviewers. This telescope elicited mostly favorable responses and convinced me that with all its features it would be a good buy.
As it turned out, I am glad I turned to the reviews. My greatest concern was the tripod but it is stable yet light enough to not be cumbersome and is easy to use and set up. The magnification/optics are good and produces a detailed view of the night sky, stars, etc. Best feature of all is the response from my grand daughter. She drags her dad to the park near their home and is really enjoying this telescope. However, I suggest you read Amazon's description that convinced me it was easy to use and had a lot of features that could grow with the child.
The truth is this is not really a toy. It is a learning experience. My grandkid is learning about the planets and the stars. She has been dragging her parents to the planetarium in the city and learning a lot which carries over to using this telescope. If treated kindly, this telescope should last for years. It is fairly well made considering its modest price. Included is a backpack/case that offers good protection and makes it conveniently portable.
The only thing that I can add is that this works far better in the country without the interference of city lights. The view is better in the country without mechanical interferences and really couldn't be more lovely.
on December 5, 2016
Even though I read the reviews and the product description, I didn't realize that this telescope is better for hunting than star gazing. I opened the box and realized my mistake. If you truly want one for just star gazing there are better options.
on July 13, 2015
The best scope is the one you use, and by that measure this one is great. Light, easy to set up, no collimation or calibration, and off you go.

With just what's in this package, you will be able to make out fantastic detail on the Moon and get at least general impressions of the easier Messier objects, like the Andromeda galaxy. You can split some great binary stars, get a decent look at Mars, and you can see the phases of Venus (which can look like a dramatic crescent). You can see Jupiter as just a small glowing disc (no detail), and make out the Galilean moons as just dots; and you can barely make out the rings of Saturn (mostly just by seeing an ellipse with dark spots between the rings and the planet).

However, the telescope really comes alive with a 3x Barlow. At that point, you can make out the polar ice cap of Mars, get a fantastic view (if still small) of Saturn's rings, see Saturn's moon Titan as a dot, see amazingly intricate details of the Moon like the Straight Wall and craters within craters and see the tips of the Apennines shining in the dark beyond the lunar twilight, split very tight binaries (e.g., the famous twin binaries of Epsilon Lyrae), and barely, barely make out a band on Jupiter if you have excellent seeing and very dark skies. You can make out Uranus, Neptune and the asteroid Vesta as dots (not discs), which is neat just to know you've seen them and managed to put them in your sights.

The optics in this are basic but good. Unfortunately, the tripod alt-azimuth controls are very finicky. Azimuth is usually not a problem (as with many light telescopes, it's often easier to nudge the entire tripod to make lateral adjustments.) But every time you adjust the altitude bar to follow the subject, the telescope would shift away as the control was tightened. I am very patient, but I got to be a little frustrated, and the problem became extremely frustrating with the extra weight of a Barlow. I began using a homemade counterweight on the telescope front, but after getting fairly decent at "over compensating" to take into account the drift that tightening the altitude control would cause, I finally broke down and got the Orion 7033 Precision Slow-Motion Adapter, which made life gloriously simple again (but adds $40 to the effective cost of the scope). The finder scope is finicky and odd, but just takes some getting used to (and requires a 30 second adjustment at the beginning of viewing sessions if anything was jostled).

In short, a fun little telescope which becomes almost magic with a 3x Barlow (and, with a micro-adjuster, magic indeed). An absolutely *wonderful* first scope for anyone.
on April 19, 2017
Expectation was too high for this telescope. Expected to see the red spot on Jupiter but the magnitude was just too low. Can only see a larger pan shaped planet but no detail. Can see four Galilean moons though. If you only want to see the moon, this is a good buy. If you want to see Jupiter, Saturn or other stars, maybe not.
on November 4, 2016
The product is perfect. With this telescope I managed to take the full October moon. It is an impressive image for the details observed. The telescope is portable, and that is comfortable for traveling.
review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.