Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Celestron PowerSeeker 70EQ Telescope
Style: 70MM EQ Refractor|Change

on February 6, 2014
This is a review specifically for the Celestron PS 114mm EQ.

I got this as a gift from my daughter. After using it a few nights, I did check the mirror collimation with the $28 Celestron 1.25" collimation eyepiece (which I already had). The mirror alignment was very very close, so it needed only minimal adjustment which had no observable effects.

On the third night I was able to see the moon (again) and the Orion nebula at various magnification (20mm eyepiece with and without Barlow). I was also able to see - with a Celestron Ploessel 9mm eyepiece - Jupiter and it four moons, the two main cloud stripes on Jupiter itself, and maybe some weaker ones. And the shadow of one moon on Jupiter itself, a tiny black dot near one of the poles.

I do like the lightweight aluminum mount as well, it is solid if the legs are not completely extended, and it is light enough to carry around without getting a hernia. The finder scope works well for me, just in case I re-align it every time I take the telescope out.

This telescope is very sharp, and a very good value right out of the box. And easy to focus. Five stars!!

EDIT: Recently (February) I did buy and install the Celestron motor drive ($33 on Amazon) and it works perfectly. Once the motor drive speed is adjusted properly with the small knob (which is fairly easy to do), it keeps say Jupiter centered for close to an hour with a 7mm eyepiece. Note that the drive speed only needs to be set once, for a given latitude.

Note that the Celestron 127EQ and 114EQ are quite similar in design and price, nevertheless this one has a much longer tube and does not have a correcting eyepiece in the focus tube, which seems to make it significantly sharper, or at least much easier to collimate.

Recently (April) I got an inexpensive laser collimator (lk1 from seben dot com, identical to the orion lasermate) and tried it on this scope, even though it did not seem to need it. The whole job is very easy, takes less than 5-10 mins if you know what to do (there is no focuser lens in the focusing tube, this is NOT a Bird-Jones design!). The adjustments were minimal and there was no noticeable change in sharpness, as I said above mine was flawless out of the box. Look in the picture section to see my recent picture of Jupiter.

Best additions to this telescope are imo the $30 Celestron motor drive (I love it!), a better quality achromatic $40 Celestron 2x Omni Barlow, and a 9mm Celestron Omni eyepiece($20 ; the telescope seems capable of a lot more than what the rather basic included eyepieces suggest). You will then be in telescope heaven, for very little money.

I have also found that this scope is quite well suited to astrophotography of the planets, in my case in combination with the very reliable Celestron clock drive (have not changed a battery yet on that on in three months of use) and an inexpensive webcam (a logitech C310 in my case).

PS. Added pictures of Jupiter and the Moon (April 2014). Added more pictures of Jupiter and Mars, on the latter I can clearly see one of the polar ice caps (April 2014). Took a nice picture of the Cassini division on Saturn (May 2014). Added another excellent picture I got of Jupiter on a very clear day (March 2015), you can clearly see multiple rings as well as details of the main ring clouds.
203 helpful votes
204 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on March 21, 2013
If anyone out there ever wanted to try out amateur astronomy but didn't know what telescope to buy or if you're an amateur looking for a lightweight smaller scope without compromising quality of views too significantly.

Let me say from the start that I'm a refractor man and proud of it! I've always found chromatic aberration a minimal disturbance compared to the sharpness of resulting image due to a clean unobstructed tube of light. (and, yes, I know about and use off-axis aperture stops on my reflectors when higher magnification, but they are only practical with 8" mirrors or larger.) Refractors are virtually maintenance-free and, except for rare occasions, the tube remains completely sealed (i.e. nothing can fall in). I still have two old 8" and 13" Coulter Odysseys that I take out occasionally, but I've always found them awkward to use and move around and the views not all that satisfying despite their greater light gathering power (a slightly overrated attribute).

I have two large refractors (a 6" Celestron and a 4" Tal) that I use and love, but they weight a ton and hard difficult to haul around. The Celestron takes at least 15 minutes or more (depending where you are) to set up properly. For several years, I've been looking for an inexpensive, lightweight scope with good optics I could keep fully loaded and assembled that I could quickly and easily take outside and start viewing.

Several years ago I picked up a 90mm Meade refractor which was so overall terrible I didn't think the scope I wanted even existed. In November, I came across the Celestron 70 AZ Powerseeker for a super low price and sent to a young but sharp cousin of mine. I got such a favorable report, I decided to gamble on one for myself. I was so pleased with the quality of this scope, I decided to go one further and try this 80mm equatorially mounted version for only about twice the price.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this scope without the slightest hesitation or reservation. You can find it on many online sources for only around $100 and $20 shipping...an unbelievable low price and easily the best telescope deal I've seen in my over fifty year "career" as an amateur astronomer. The cost scope is actually less than the fifty year old price of a nearly equivalent (though inferior in EVERY respect from lens to mount to eyepieces) scope the Edmund Scientific Company sold back in the the 1950's and 60's. The Edmund 3" refractor was considered by most to be the best for the money back then.) This Powerseeker has 3.15" high quality objective lens, comes with eyepieces that are actually usable, as well as a sturdy tripod (providing you don't extend the legs more than half way) AND an equatorial mount which is the preferred mount for astronomical use. Once you get used to it, you'll be hooked. Besides, if you rotate the polar axis all the way back until the back end rests on the adjustment screw, it becomes a first rate alt-azimuth scope, perfect for terrestrial applications. So a German equatorial mount is actually both mounts in one.

I would belabor the point but the optics are unexpectedly good. Even deep space objects come through with unexpected clarity and detail, (I've long felt that the supposed "great" advantage of reflectors over refractors with respect to viewing deep space objects has been greatly overrated), stars focus to near pinpoints, the mountains, craters and other features of our moon come through with striking detail. Saturn's rings are clearly visible and resolve nicely even at low power, Jupiter's bands are clearly delineated, (the famous Red Spot is hard to spot these days as it is more orange than red and doesn't stand out as it did years ago), the greenish tinge of the Orion nebula is visible even when viewed only three miles west of downtown Miami, the tightly knit four-star trapezium in Nebula are beautifully resolved.

For those of you that may be scared of an equatorial mount, don't be. Positions of celestial objects are located using the same latitude and longitude system on earth. Imagine a hollow earth with a bright light at the center projecting the latitude and longitude grid onto the celestial sphere. The only difference is that they use the old nautical terms: declination for latitude and right ascension for longitude. Point the tube and mount to geographic north, set the polar axis to your latitude then rotate the tube around the declination axis and right ascension axes to locate your object. You lock the declination (latitude) axis and then you just have to rotate the R. A. axis to track the object.

I'll only be separated from this scope when they pry it from my cold, dead hands! I've been using it almost nightly since I got it. Fortunately, I live in Miami where the skies are clear most nights throughout the year and we have a nice stable turbulent-free atmosphere. On most nights stars twinkle so little, they look more like planets.

Though it's possible, I would not ever attempt astrophotography with this or any scope. I agree with John Dobson that amateur astrophotography is not a hobby but a disease! For a tiny fraction of the cost of the necessary equipment, you can buy books of Hubble photos of nearly anything in the universe whose quality will so far surpass any photo an amateur could possibly achieve through our atmosphere ridden planet as to make the effort seem a complete and useless waste of time, energy, resources and certainly money.

In closing, you cannot go wrong with this amazing little telescope, the views of everything are great and it's just so damn easy to haul around and set up. If you support it under the polar axis, it can be lifted with one hand EASILY.
240 helpful votes
241 helpful votes
1414 comments|Report abuse
on June 5, 2015
My kids like to see the night skies and constellations, so I've bought this telescope for its price and reach. Assembly was straightforward, although the instructions were sometimes not complete, i.e. leaving some room for guessing, especially for a novice astronomy enthusiast. Anyway, a few months passed since we got this, we have not got a chance to take it out due to the cold weather. Until last weekend. We were able to see the moon up and close for the first time. It was so clear and it almost felt like watching a movie, and if a little guy is walking on the moon we should be able to see him.

The only complaint I have is the difficulty in finding the target. Perhaps this is my skills, but I found that the finder scope is not always useful: even if the object is at the crosshair, I still need to adjust the telescope quite a bit to center the object to see it.

Overall a nice telescope and we expect much fun with it down the road.
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 25, 2015
I've had this for about a year now and it was my first telescope. I'm very happy with it for the price, and it has been enough to get me to learn about the astronomy and encourage me to save for a quality telescope. If you are looking for a first telescope, this might be good for you. If you already have a first; save your money for a better step up. With a separately purchased 5mm eyepiece, I can see Jupiter's stripes and 4 moons, and I can see Saturn's rings. I can make out some other planets, but none of their details. If you've never seen the moon magnified before, that is also fun, but the cheap tripod makes it difficult because of ground vibrations and the difficulty of perfecting your aim through cheap controls. I have to realign the view-finder every few months or every time I transport the telescope, as it will generally drift 1-3 degrees off (more than the full view even with a 20mm eyepiece). If this is your first telescope, I recommend using it during the day to look at trees first to learn how to move it and adjust it, and then look at the moon to determine the appropriate infinity-zoom. Because this allows past infinity zoom, too far off in either direction will show you nothing but a black sky even if you are perfectly aimed at the brightest star available (incredibly frustrating especially if you don't know you're really 3 degrees off to the side because of the view-finder). Even with a separately purchased 5mm eyepiece, I cannot see Jupiter's red spot, but I am also 40 miles outside Chicago and suffer from medium light polution.
on June 9, 2017
This is my telescope and I am new to astronomy, that being said I love this telescope. It's came with a 3x barlow, 4mm and 20mm eye piece and is sufficient for just starting out, the tripod won't let you do any star gazing during hurricanes or tornados but does its job well and if you want you can weight a down with a bag.

1. Even though the eye pieces are great and work well and it is important to have a good quality scope and mirror, to make this scope really shine you need good eye pieces.

I would buy this scope again and again with no regrets.
on February 2, 2016
I'm giving it five stars because of bang for buck. I bought it after reading Gustav Mahler review and I'm not sure I can add to that review but I will try.First it came very well boxed three times in fact. There was a instruction booklet and for me the assembly was easy. I must say at first un-packing it it did seem intimating but the pictures help (stick to the pictures) because the side RA was turn 180 out to make packing possible. There were nine easy steps. There was a screw driver left over that looked like a part I missed. (Look says screwdriver on it). I didn't need a screw driver. I suggest you do not go any tighter than you need to and that is not tight. Too tight can do damage and many people tend to over do that. Its your baby go easy.
Con's - I was not happy with the finder scope. I think that could have been improved. The tripod was OK. It had points on the tips and not rubber feet. I have a Galileo tripod I use for a small 400mm-70mm scope I do bird watching with and I think I like that one better.
Pro's - I like the slow motion knobs. I thought I give them a try because too often in my pass I used a short scope with high power lens on a solid base to lessen the shaking due to moving it and near by earth movement, such as trucks going by when out on a patio. Those were better for those earthy harmonics than the long tube type. But with out the slow motion cables I over come the resistance that held the scope at aim and when it broke that hold the scope would over shoot and I would be way off my target. This cable knob type may be the lesser of the two evils and it gives me power like I never had.
The lens tray has a lip on it so I can just place my lens in that with there case's on.
It came with two CD disks. One instructions that was good but for the Polar alignment I like U-Tube. On that CD I couldn't get into accessory to see what the dove tail fastener was met for. I think its an optional digital camera holder. The second CD ( not II ). Asked for me to download a set up soft ware and I do not down load strange exe.
In short, it was like a telescope that cost twice what I paid. That and reviews is what drives Amazon I think...
IMPORTANT... This is a heavy scope with lots of cast iron to it. 18 Lps. It is a bad boy so if your female (like me) or not up to moving that weight, it may not be for you. I plan to back-pack the counter weight & my lens if I'm going too far with it. I wouldn't want a scope any more heavy than this.
There you have it. Not sure I did better than the Gustav Mahler review. He is right, optics are great. Five stars. I can't believe I got a scope this good for this cost. I have four telescopes now. This one is the power house but I still in-joy the others. They have there place.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on January 19, 2016
The build quality is decent, however I was a bit disappointed with a few pieces. First off the lenses that come with it are very cheap and you'll end up buying new ones as well as a new barlow. Second, the fine adjustment knobs are cheap plastic and they wobble all over the place, ultimately making you unable to center your view. Lastly, the finder scope sucks and of course it's the same plastic they used on other pieces of the telescope... you'll buy a new finder scope too.
review image
on December 16, 2012
So this is the first telescope I have ever bought for my husband. He is a beginner, but said the quality is great. We also got the celestron filters and lenses kit as well and love both. I recommend buying a star chart and a book on the constallations, he has enjoyed having those and has been outside many nights or early in the morning before there is any light. I recommend it especially for the brand and the quality.
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
on April 6, 2014
I decided to get this telescope as it has an equitorial (EQ) mount. I am a beginner astronomer and looking to get my kids involved. I bought this telescope for its price to capability ratio. The capabilities of this telescope are, in some cases, similar to some that much more expensive. The equitorial mount is big plus as it helps to locate celestial objects and track them for a while with slow motion cables. With an azimuth mount the adjustment only goes up and down in slow motion, but stars move in arc fashion, not straight up and down. The EQ mount has a right ascension slow motion adjustment that allows the object to stay in the finder for a long time.

So far, I have been pleased with this telescope. The finder is a bit cheap. It has 3 adjustment screws that help lock in your target in the crosshairs located within the finder. It's easy to knock out of alignment. This is really frustrating, especially at night. I am replacing the original finder scope with a Telrad finder scope. The optics are great! Close looks at the moon using the 4mm eye piece are amazing. Even the 20mm eye piece are very good. I intend on upgrading these eye pieces in the near future, but they are great for being out of the box.

The stand is pretty good. The adjustments are easy to work with and lock into place. I may end up replacing some of the clutch engagements with something I can use with a little more torque. The current clutch engagements for RA and DEC use basic twist knobs that are difficult to get a good torque with just fingers. This results in a little more slippage than I would like. With the legs fully extended the tripod is shaky, but can by easily fixed with a 10 pound weight or so hanging from the accessory tray.

The balancing of this scope if pretty easy to do. The instructions say nothing about how to balance the scope, but searching online is easy to do. The instructions have you place the counter weight in the middle of the bar. It's best to have it all the way at the bottom for full balance. The telescope body should be about a 60/40 split with 60% toward the front and 40% toward the rear of the rings.

All in all I like this telescope and will keep it for quite a while. There are options to add a motor to keep an object in the finder automatically and other eye pieces to increase the resolution coming from the telescope. The OTA has a great focal length and diameter to see planets, the moon, and some deep space objects. If you're wanting a telescope that is versatile, fits a reasonable budget, and is fairly easy to use, then this is a great beginner scope.
on June 30, 2017
This is a great little telescope, the tripod is flimsy though for the weight of the tube however. The legs should be for the shorter optical tube or the mount should be transferred to a pier to give less vibration. The optics are also very basic but work. I still have the tube and transferred it to a "GOTO" and eventually it will be on a pier. The mount and tripod were transferred to a shorter optical tube and donated for outreach programs. Overall this worked out perfectly.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.