Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 299 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 324 reviews
on May 5, 2016
I own both the Celestron 15x70 and 25x70 binoculars. After comparing both here is WHAT I'VE COME UP WITH:

Both binoculars excel and have a clear crisp view. The optics are truly amazing at this price point! I did have to send back a set of the 25x70's due to interior dust being seen as I looked through them, but Amazon sent me a new pair no problem. Both binoculars use the same body. The 25x70's are a touch shorter (1/4 inch) in length due to shortening of the Ocular (eye) to the Objective lens distance. The 25x70's also have a larger Ocular lens due to the increased magnification. Both binoculars need a tripod (especially the 25x70's which are more effected by shaking). GET A 70" or greater TRIPOD! I have a 60" tripod and I'm a short5'5" but when something is near 90 degrees over your head the "60 height of the tripod won't cut it.

I posted an example of the magnification and the Field of View difference between the 15x70 (1st Pic) and the 25x70 (2nd Pic). As you can see the 25x70 gives you a greater MAGNIFICATION but the trade off is the FIELD OF VIEW which is greater with the 15x70's. The actual views through the bino's are sharper as the cellphone doesn't do it justice.

LOOKING AT OBJECTS: In looking a celestial objects the MOON totally fills the frame with the 25x70's. The 4 Galilean moons of JUPITER (yes you can seem) look great in both set of binos. Another thing I love to look at are AIRPLANES. With the use of a tripod I was able to see and follow JETS at 35,000 ft. IT IS A MARVEL! The 25x70's work well here as I can read the writing on the planes.

MY RECOMMENDATION: I would choose the 25x70's. The 25x70's are $3 more so why not go for more magnification. The wider field of view on the 15x70's does allow a better "hand-held" experience but you are still going to need a tripod for celestial viewing no matter which bino's you buy.

ALSO: Both the 25x70 and the 15x70 come with a tripod adapter but I'd upgrade to a METAL one as these binos are heavy. The Barska adapter is metal with a larger rubber tightening screw and is only $8 (see photo). I'd also get some Field Optics Research Binocular EyeShields ($14) to help keep out peripheral light in daytime viewing (see photo).
review image review image review image review image review image review image
44 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
I originally gave these four stars because the focus has play in it. I bumped them up to 5 stars because of the low price and the fantastic astronomical views. They stay in the focus you put them in, but the play occurs only during adjustment. My 16x50 is much better for daytime sight seeing.

1. The eyepiece lens is 23mm, vs 18mm for my Nikon Aculon 16x50, 16mm for my Celestron 10x50, and 13mm for my Tasco 7x35. Despite this, they have the same eye relief as the smaller binoculars, and also a moderately smaller apparent field of view.
2. I followed the exit pupil, drew a triangle, and quickly and accurately measured the apparent field of view of the Celestron 25x70 to be only 57.5 degrees, and that is the maximum no matter where your eye is. My Nikon's are 61 degrees, my Celestron 10x50 is 60 degrees, and my Tascos are 58 degrees. Visual observation confirms these math measurements.
3. They are noticeably heavier than my other binos, but not a lot.
4. They are easy to hand hold very steady in the day time, without resting my elbows on anything. At night it is much better to have something to brace my elbows on.
5. They look like they are good quality, other than the thin strap.
6. They are 10.4 inches long, and 8 inches wide.
7. There depth of focus is less than that of lower powered binoculars, so I really have to adjust them as I aim around at stuff terrestrially at different distances. These are better for astronomy than for birding. My 10x and lower did not need to be adjusted much unless I looked at something really close. My 16x is in between, but still pretty forgiving.
8. The focus is smooth but has a short lag, and requires diopter adjustment of the right eye to compensate for the lag. In cold weather, the focus wheel is tighter than any of my other binos, but still reasonable enough to turn.
9. I am a bit near sighted, so I get a closer near focus at around 50 or 60 feet instead of the advertised 75 ft. My nikons near focus at 18 ft, not their advertised 28 ft.

As many other reviewers already said, the eyepiece barrels seem too big around, and pinch my nose if I try to get closer to the eyepiece. However, if I carefully measure the interpupilary distance, I can place them so I see the full field of view without the pinch. It just does not come as naturally as with my 10x50. I separated them to see if getting one eye closer would give a bigger field of view, but it did not. I guess how close I get is close enough. It just feels weird them being that far out on my nose and making that third point of contact like that. Edit: next day: I'm getting used to the new feeling.

The correct place to hold these binoculars is by the barrels in front of the prisms. That is how to get steadier views. Better yet, slouch down in a chair and put your elbows on the arm rests. Then all you'll see is your heart beat.

I looked at a distant light, and compared its size to the Nikon's 16x. I find it very believable the Celestrons are 25x.

The field of view is not as wide as advertised. The apparent field of view is 57.4 degrees, not 61. The belt of Orion just barely fits in the view. The moon is 30% of the view. The true field of view is 2.4 degrees, not the advertised 2.7 degrees.

The arms of the eyepiece adjuster also have some wiggle in them causing a 1/4 inch delay when turning the adjuster wheel. I have had to re-adjust the right diopter even when I did not touch the center wheel, indicating it might be moving a bit. But it does not take long to get back into focus. There is also a flare visible off to the side of the exit pupil, though I don't see it during astronomy.

Despite these flaws, I can't subtract a star at only $70 shipped. These binoculars are a league above my 10x50 for astronomical viewing, at least in terms of looking at individual targets. A telescope has many advantages, but these are grab and go. However, to see the phase of Venus, you need to stop down the aperture and sit down to brace your view.
-------------------------

I easily saw the correct shape of the Orion nebula on a half moon when my 10x50 could see nothing.
I could see the dark side of the half moon, whereas my 10x50 could only see the bright side. My 16x50 also saw the dark side.
Jupiter looks much bigger in the 25x70, but I may need to reduce the aperture to see the stripes. I can see bands on Jupiter 114mm f8 Newtonian telescope at 28x, but I can't see bands at 25x in the binoculars.
The Pleiades look much better in the 25x70 than in the telescope or my other binoculars.
The double cluster in Perseus is clearly visible in the 25x70, and looks tiny with an almost stellar core in my 10x50.
Andromeda, M31, looks better, with M32 and M110 noticeable by it, and very hard to see in my 10x50.
I can see a tiny ring around Saturn at 28x in my telescope, but at 25x, I sometimes see a ring around Saturn and sometimes I don't. On the day that I could see a ring, my 16x50 detected ears.
I can see M13 and other globular clusters as small fuzzy balls. I could find them in my 16x, but smaller. In my 10x, I can locate most of them, but they look like stars. Maybe I can detect a little fuzz on M13. In my 7x, I can't locate most of them, but I can see M13 and maybe a few others, though I don't remember.
All of my observing was hand held, unbraced.
I could point them at whatever I wanted and hit my targets just fine. I had trouble hitting Andromeda right away because I could not see it naked eye.
M82 and M81 are easy to identify in my 25x70 as I sweep over them. I can see the cigar shape of M82 in my 16x50 too, though I can't find either one in my 10x50.
I can see a mountain range on the moon in the 25x70 when my elbows are braced. I've not yet found it in my 16x50.
Airplanes look bigger but take longer to find in my 25x70.
At 25x, you can't tell where you are in the sky from the star orientations. You just have to point and look, and you know where you are when you see the object you are looking for. At 16x, I can pan around from bright star to bright star and figure out where I am by memory. At 10x, I can see some bright stars in the same field of view, but have to pan for others. And at 7x, you can easily see where you are.
I actually think my view of M31 was more enjoyable in a 15x70 than in these 25x70, though I know the Orion nebula is better at 25x. It keeps getter better even at 60x.
M33 can be located at lower power, but the 25x70 gave the best view, giving maybe a hint of spiral structure.
44 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2015
The 3rd large Skymaster Binos I've acquired and likely to become my favorite. Also have 15x70 and 20x80. About the same feel as my beloved 15x70 and I can hold steady enough for short glimpses without use of tripod. Apart from the next two sentences, my comments regard casual astronomical use. Did take it with me yesterday on the Blue Ridge Parkway for scanning faraway features. Excellent performance and reach for terrestrial viewing yet not as convenient to handle nor as portable as my 10x50.

As others point out, a tripod is recommended if you intend on lingering longer than several seconds. A Bakelite tripod adaptor is included yet I still utilize the traditional metal Celestron one because it provides an extra inch of vertical clearance which eases visual access. While the view is 2.7 degrees, an expansiveness is remarkably maintained. Some observational notes follow, especially in comparison with the 15x70 and bear in mind my suburban skies suffer from light pollution: Saturn was a tease as it is definitely seen as elongated. However, it may be that at opposition the rings just might be inferred. I saw it closer to the setting sun so not a good circumstance. Jupiter was a bright disc and there was greater separation between its moons and disc. Could not resolve it's two dark belts. Venus was a very bright morning star and I could not be assured I could detect its shape with certainty.

The Pleiades (M45) fills the field of view with breathtaking magnificence!! Orion's sword plus the cluster NGC 1981 can be seen simultaneously. The Orion Nebula (M 42) approaches what I can see in my telescope and some of the Trapezium stars can be viewed. NGC 1981 is truly a charming cluster. The very rich open cluster M35 in Gemini is partially resolved while the Wild Duck Cluster (M11) seems just under threshold, appearing more like an irregularly shaped hazy area. However, it might be partially resolved with darker skies. Globular clusters M13 and M22 are larger fuzz balls than in the 15x70. Double star Albireo in Cygnus can be resolved. The great Andromeda Galaxy (M31) truly resembles a comet which provides insight into the false alarms it likely triggered for historical comet chasers like Charles Messier who put it down as #31 on his list of stellar distractions to avoid. The delightful Beehive (M44) open cluster is contained in one view and I can now relate to the imagery of, "The falling tears of Christ" earlier observers reported. The open clusters of Auriga,(M36, 37 & 38) are tantalizing yet, for me, on the verge of resolution. The asterism Coathanger (aka Brocchi's Cluster) fills one field.

All in all, for under $100, the 25x70 Skymasrter is an excellent investment when not seeking higher priced premium binoculars. It is recommended to be used with a tripod; yet quick, informal views can be relatively easy to accomplish hand held, especially while grasping it by the objective ends. The lenses are situated deeper on the front end than the 15x70, possibly suggesting a type of dew/sun shade purpose. Other differences to keep in mind in comparison with the 15x70 include the smaller observational field of view (of course) and the merely point and look aspect of the smaller bino is diminished in the 25x70 (of course) with the greater magnification coupled with that narrower field. These are just part of the game and should be of no surprise. With more use, I am inclined to suggest this may become my preferred set at first use. BTW, my 20x80's, apart from increased weight, are hardly used at home due to light pollution. Its larger objectives, at 80mm, bring in more light so are reserved for observation under darker skies. It was because of this suburban atmospheric limitation that I sought an alternative for increased magnification beyond the 15x70 and settled on the 25x70.
on January 24, 2017
Wish I had bought these years ago because using them is just one of the coolest things I've ever done. Warning: they are heavy. You must buy a tripod and mount and if you're taller than average, go with a tripod that can reach over 60". My boyfriend and I are 6'0" and 6'4" so we did have to make accommodations to spend an evening stargazing. We set up chairs because we have to sit- the tripod we bought only extends to 60". Also, be prepared that it is almost impossible to have them looking straight up at 90 degrees. They're very responsive on the focus and you can see so many stars and constellations you would never even knew were there. The bag they come in is great- all in all, for the price these are absolutely worth the investment.
I do not have all the fancy pictures and other things that would make this review super helpful, but I can tell you what helped me purchase this set over the others I had found (even more expensive and supposedly higher resolution/quality) were the other reviews. So yes, I am reviewing this telling you to look at the other reviews to make your buying decision.
on January 14, 2017
POSITIVE:
* Very powerful (25 power) and clear.
* Great price!
* Nice carry bag
NEGATIVE:
* The plastic tripod bino holder is TOTALLY USELESS ! The binos wobble at even the slightest touch of your hand,
even with LOWER powered binos!
I bought a metal one to replace it ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTIYTOS ) and it is RIGID by far in comparison !
Rigidity is absolutely necessary with this kind of high powered binoculars! Why Celestron "gives away" the cheapo is ridiculous!
on June 27, 2010
I have a lifelong interest and love of astronomy but I am still a novice when it comes to using binoculars and telescopes. After reading several reviews and product comparisons on Amazon I selected the Celestron SkyMaster 25 x 70 Binocular as my first binocular specifically designed for night time skywatching. I am very pleased with this binocular and I recommend it to other beginners. Based on the reviews I have read I think it would also be a good binocular for more advanced users. I recommend purchasing a sturdy tripod designed to hold this type of binocular because it can feel a bit heavy after holding it with your hands for several minutes. Celestron makes one and it is the one that I purchased. I am also pleased with the tripod. It is sturdier than the one I use for a camera and the mount seems sufficient for the size and weight of this particular binocular. The Celestron tripod also has features that allows the user to track the movement of the moon by manually repositioning the binoculars without having to remove the binoculars from the tripod. Both the binocular and tripod are easy to setup and use. During my first and second use, I focused on the moon and I was able to see it clearly and with detail (visible craters, etc.). The light coming into the binocular is sufficient for my "over the age of 50" eyes and eye-sight. The images appear bright and clear. Even as a novice I was able to setup quickly, start viewing night time objects right away, and I even able to take pictures through the lens (which I will try to post on this ad).
review image review image review image
44 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2017
These are excellent for viewing distant objects as many other reviews have said. I'm extremely happy with my pair as I can see excellent detail on the moon and can see terrestrial distant objects with amazing clarity. I live on an island in the Caribbean and boat spotting is a lot of fun with these. I also did some viewing of Jupiter the other night and I could make it out very well and even the moons. These do need to be mounted on a tripod to eliminate the shaking as it can make spotting near impossible for distant objects. When I did my view of Jupiter, I placed the binoculars on a platform so that helped a lot. I just got the Davis & Sanford EXPLORERV Vista Explorer tripod today so I'll be mounting the binoculars tonight for some star gazing.
review image review image
on May 12, 2014
This is nice, powerful, and stylish. Gives a great view of the skies and anything else you point it at - looking at architecture is also pretty great. Unfortunately, it's also really heavy; the weight wears me down after a bit, and it's sometimes hard to keep steady (and I'm over six feet tall; smaller people would probably have more problems). Also, if the focus on each lens gets out of alignment, it's pretty tough to get them back together; there's only one knob that adjusts both at once. Still, I bought this for power, and it's great for that.
on June 30, 2016
1st pair were Celestron 20x80. Great but wanted a stronger pair. Sold my 20x80 & bought 25x70 from Goldstar Tech through Amazon.Terrible. Couldn't see out of 1 side & couldn't focus other eye. I'm sorry I sold 1st pair. Bought Barska 30x80. Love them! Bought telescope from Goldstar Tech.Terrible. Gave me a hard time trying to resolve issue. Don't buy anything from Goldstar Tech. Because of my review I think they changed their name. They wanted me to pay for shipping and 25% restock fee for defective product.
on November 1, 2015
These binoculars are actually better than expected for the reasonable price. Very good collimation and they focus acceptably. The one fault I noticed was that the field of view is not as flat as it could be. The center two thirds of the field of view are well focused, but further out becomes blurrier to the edge. This is probably a compromise by the manufacturer to provide a wider field of view, and, since most observing is done near the center, the out of focus edges are less of an issue.
I would recommend these for a budget pair of 25X binoculars with good light gathering ability.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.