Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Celestron Collimation Eyepiece 1.25"
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on March 9, 2007
Celestron's tool is easy to carry, easy to use, and (at least in my case!) gives me quick, precision collimation with my Newtonian. Why pay for a laser collimator (which needs to be calibrated) when you can use this?

Collimation is the most important part of your setup; without good mirror alignment, all you'll see are blobs and blurs even on the best viewing nights. This combination tool makes aligning both primary and secondary mirrors fairly painless, and also fairly fast. Highly recommended for any level of observer.
on August 29, 2012
We recently purchased a Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ telescope for my son's 10th birthday. While the moon looked great in the 'out of the box' configuration, we noticed that Saturn and Mars looked, well, 'fuzzy'. My initial thought was that we needed a more powerful eyepiece than the 20mm and 10mm ones that came with the telescope.

A couple of weeks later, we attended an open house the observatory on the campus of the university that I work for. We were visiting with one of the astronomy professors and I described our 'problem' we were having with our new telescope. After finding out that it was a Newtonian, he immediately asked if I had collimated the telescope. Naturally, I had no idea what he was talking about, so I set out to Mr. Google to learn about collimation.

After a little research, I ordered this eyepiece and was amazed at how much adjustment we needed to make to bring the mirrors into proper alignment. In less than 30 minutes, I had the telescope fully collimated and now distant objects look MUCH more crisp. My son and I even got up early one morning to see Venus and Jupiter, and both of those appeared crisp/sharp. Venus was in a crescent phase and we were able to see Jupiter and two of its moons, and this made for one happy 10 year old!

So, I would recommend this to any beginner/novice astronomer like myself and my son.
on August 8, 2008
This thing works. Right out of the box I was able to line up my mirrors in less that an hour to textbook perfect diffraction rings on a star. It is the first real collimation my scope has had since I got it.

I bought a cheap Dobsonian over twenty years ago. Didn't use it much, had a couple of cheap eyepieces. It made pretty good images compared to other scopes but I was never sure of the collimation.

Fast forward to today when the internet allows people to communicate with each other! Read the reviews on collimators and the articles on collimation. This device is a consistent favorite. Cheap and effective, it goes right to the front of my new and improved eyepiece collection.
on February 22, 2013
This item is probably fine if you have a regular newtonian reflector, I don't know because I don't have a regular newtonian reflector. I have a Powerseeker 127 EQ, which is a "Jones-Bird" telescope. This type of telescope has a corrective lens built into the bottom of the focuser and therefore requires a different collimation procedure than the one outlined in Celestron's Knowledgebase article. Be advised that Celestron's technical support team has verified that this eyepiece will not work to correctly collimate a Bird-Jones telescope.
1212 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2008
This will collimate most Newtonians with minimal effort. No laser beam is necessary. Follow the instructions.
on January 2, 2012
Well, I have successfully collimated my small newtonian reflector with this little piece of equipment. At first it's tricky but you get the hand of it pretty fast. You just need to align all the reflections of the cross you see at the end of the tool. The first step is to align the secondary mirror so the cross aims at the center of the main mirror. Once that is achieved you can then adjust the main mirror to align everything together. Make sure you aim the telescope at a white light source so the cross is nice and visible. I aimed it at my tv with some white internet page, it did the job.

It might not be laser precision but it's more than enough for my reflector. I'm very satisfied with it.
on October 13, 2011
Celestron did a great job with this item! The eyepiece showed that my collimation wasn't that far off from when I used the laser collimator (also by Celestron). The instructions were VERY EASY to follow if you read them close enough and carefully. I don't know what it is with publishers like Sky&Tel and die-hard amateurs...they have to explain how to use collimation equipment (and everything else) with wordy, techno-babble-filled descriptions that only confuse other amateurs (ahem...I've been an experienced amateur astronomer for over 25 years...so I know what I'm talking about). Maybe it's a way for the hot-shots to show off rather then be helpful. Save the techno-babble for another forum for those who really want to know. The instructions were written simple and to the point and only took up an index card's worth of explaining. I would definitely buy this item again and recommend it to beginners learning to collimate their reflectors.
on August 13, 2014
I just finished building a 16" Dob and needed some collimation tools. I purchased this (Cheshire eyepiece) along with an economical laser unit and am very pleased with both units. Works great and helped me achieve a "spot on" alignment of all the optical axis on my T-scope!did not break the bank. Recommended highly .
on May 1, 2013
I had know idea how messed up my scope was! I'm very glad I purchased this product...only wish I had done it years ago! I didn't realize how important collimation was. All this time I was blaming blurred images on my eye pieces...I'm enjoying Astronomy again. You can have the most expensive eye pieces in the world but if your mirrors are out of whack your missing out on great images.The forty dollars I spent is nothing compared to the frustration I've endured. This tool is now permanently residing in my lens box, it's a must have.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 28, 2014
If you have a Newtonian or Dobsonian telescope, you can purchase all manner of complex thingy me do's to align your primary and secondary mirrors, (many of which often work poorly) or you can just buy this combo tool for a great deal less. This eyepiece is a both a sight tube and a Cheshire eyepiece rolled into one. You then simply align your secondary mirror under the sight tube and then align the crosshairs reflection on the primary with the crosshairs at the bottom of the sight tube and bang, you are done. If you have never done a collimation before it might take up to ten minutes the first go, but after that, it takes less than two minutes. Absolutely essential tool that just flat out works. Five stars.