Oil month Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

I got this to use with my Nikon 8X42 Prostaff 7S binoculars for birding and skywatching and am very happy. The device seems sturdy, is all metal except for the attachment knob which seems durable. Attaches quickly to the tripod screw and the thin flat shaft fits between the two barrels of the Nikons even though with my eye distance there is only approximately 3/8" inch gap to fit between. I use with a manfrotto quick release plate on a manfrotto 3021 and the whole setup is lightweight and easy to adjust. The Celestron seemed like a great deal at $9.95 from Amazon and I am happy to give it 5 stars.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2016
Bought the Celestron adapter after returning the Barska adapter. I purchase the Celestron 15x70 bin's and they are big and fairly heavy. The Barska had an extremely small base footprint. I could never tighten it down to the quick release plate to a point where it wouldn't swivel. Another drawback to the Barska adapter is the mounting screw to bins didn't have an O ring or star washer. So there was some swivel there as well. I am fairly satisfied with the Celestron adapter although it has one weakness which can be overcome.. Its sturdy metal, fairly long, and has a larger base footprint. There is no rubber on the base so it is able to dig in a bit keeping it firmly in position on the quick release plate's rubber pad. The Celestron does come with a high quality plastic washer and rubber insert for bin mounting. However, tightening it down as much as possible without breaking it. it still allows for unnecessary movement. To cure this movement, I will be replacing the plastic washer with a star washer. This will have a two fold benefit by the adding friction points using the star washer and exposing additional threading allowing the screw to be more deeply mounted into the bins.
33 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 16, 2013
The purpose of a binocular tripod adapter is to securely connect binoculars to a camera tripod. The screw on the tripod head goes into the adapter, and a screw on the adapter goes into the threaded hole on the front of the central shaft of the binoculars. An adapter made for traditional (Porro prism) binoculars probably won't work on roof prism binoculars, because the space between roof-prism barrels is much smaller. In order to fit roof prism binoculars, adapters such as this one by Celestron are made with narrow necks.

This adapter works well on my roof prism binoculars. My only complaint is that the attachment between the adapter and the binoculars is a bit loose. If you tap the binoculars, it's easy to shift them inadvertently so that one eyepiece is higher than the other.

Will this adapter fit your binoculars? Most likely, but the answer depends on the design of the binoculars and on the distance between your eyes. Here are some key dimensions:
- narrowest part (near the top) of the vertical neck: 0.110" (2.8 mm)
- diameter of disk just behind screw on adapter: 0.682" (17.3 mm)
- diameter of knob that you turn to tighten the adapter screw: 0.590" (15.0 mm)
22 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 21, 2014
I was surprised at the difference this little adaptor made in cutting down the shake you get when viewing at high magnification.
The cheap plastic one that came with my Celestron 25x70 was almost useless. ( check out the utube video for the bino's )
No doubt Celestron new that it would need to be replaced.
That aside this one is metal, solid, and taller ( high enough to get out of the way of the pistol grip head I use ).
Much improved viewing experience and highly recommended.
on July 23, 2017
Will not work if you want to use it on a solar binoculars to look at the sun. When you aim too high, the tripod will be in the way getting your head in position to look through the binoculars. During the eclipse, you will have to aim very high, so this will not work with solar protected binoculars. The other big issue with this is that the screw is very short so that it only screws in less than one turn into my binoculars (Celestron EclipSmart 10x45 Solar Binocular). So if you bump the binoculars too hard, they can fall off and to the ground they tumble unless you are very fast to catch them as they fall. It needs a longer screw!!! Another issue when screwed in, you can't get it tight enough so that it easily always wants to unscrew from the binocular. It needs a lock washer on the screw where it comes in contact with the binocular. But with only less than a turn, a lock washer will take up some of the space making it less than half a turn which means it will likely just fall off. Without a longer screw, this is unusable and unsafe for my binocular investment, even if I was doing horizontal observations instead of vertical. For use of solar binoculars or for looking at the moon with standard 10X binoculars, you will need a tripod as those things are too hard to find in the sky each time you put the binoculars up to look.
on March 15, 2014
I bought a pair of Celestron 71199 Cometron 12x70 binoculars and they came with a plastic tripod adapter. The binoculars shook like a bobble head doll on it. This adapter is solid metal & the extended thumb screw makes it easier to mount than the plastic one provided. I took one star away because I feel there is too little threading to go into the binoculars. I snug my up but am careful to not over tighten for fear of stripping the threads. Also because this is what should come with such a big pair of binoculars.
Top Contributor: Petson September 29, 2017
Really wasn't very impressed with this adapter. The screw isn't long enough to hold my binoculars very well. I ended up buying the Barska adapter and liking it much better. This adapter works ok if you remove the washer, but then it can be harder to pop loose if you screw it in too tight. Its solidly made and I didn't return it because I still may use it in certain circumstances, but it's now my 'backup' adapter.
on October 27, 2017
This works great to use my Celestron EclipSmart 2017 North American Total Solar Eclipse Binocular, Black, 10x42 (71238) with a tripod.

The body of this is all medal, and the surface that connects to the tripod is smooth with no gripping texture. This causes it to slip and twist when used with my Orion 5379 Paragon-Plus Binocular Mount and Tripod with a Orion 7589 Binocular Mount Adapter. I got around this by purchasing a $.70 rubber washer from the local hardware store.
on February 16, 2017
This adaptor was difficult to use and didn't function as expected. It did not hold the binoculars tightly. It permitted the binoculars to fall off several times over the course of the first six weeks of owning them, to the point that the binoculars are now broken from the falls. This was a waste of money, and worse, as a result of using this adaptor, the binoculars were also a waste of money.
on July 5, 2016
I have 7x50 poroprism binocs which have a little bit of heft to them. I bought this to mount them to a tripod for digiscoping. It's not sturdy enough for me to manually release the shutter and not get allot of shake. But with a remote shutter release it works ok. There is a rubber grommet on the screw. Imho I think it hinders a snug connection but I'm sure prevents accidental over tightening. It left me feeling a little uneasy about the security of the connection to my binoculars. The connection on the tripod end seemed fine to me.