- Paperback: 190 pages
- Publisher: Celiac and the Beast (October 14, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0989957403
- ISBN-13: 978-0989957403
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.4 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 9.6 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 31 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #242,694 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.75 shipping
Celiac and the Beast: A Love Story Between a Gluten-Free Girl, Her Genes, and a Broken Digestive Tract Paperback – October 14, 2013
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
So who is this book really for?
- If you are new to gluten free: You'll enjoy the tips and tricks for navigating our often-difficult gluten-filled world. You'll learn to survive in a world full of wheat, and even maybe learn to love the beast that is celiac disease.
- If you are a family member of someone who is gluten free: You'll find out what it's like to really live a gluten-free life and you'll finally understand our bizarre Thanksgiving rituals.
- If you hate cooking like me: You'll learn how to dine out safely. If you love cooking, hopefully you like fart jokes because you won't find gourmet recipes in this book.
- If you are a restaurant owner with a gluten-free menu: You'll learn about how to do gluten-free dining the right way - not just half-assed marketing tactics.
- If you are a gluten-free veteran: You'll enjoy the personal stories about being misdiagnosed, being poked and stuck a million times, endoscopies and colonoscopies, and say "been there, done that" with a smile on your face.
About the Author
Erica, founder and head celiac in charge of Celiac and the Beast, started her blog because she felt like she had a new voice to bring to the gluten-free table and needed some celiac catharsis through writing. With a background in marketing and market research and development (including the food and beverage industry), she's always had a soft spot in her heart for packaged goods, marketing, and branding in the gluten-free food industry. It also helps that she's a self-proclaimed terrible cook, so she relies on many gluten-free products to help her get through her day without burning down the kitchen. She uses humor to get through her diagnosis and living gluten-free in a world full of wheat. She has partnered with her non-celiac significant other, who not only designs gluten-free themed merchandise for Celiac and the Beast, but is a key taste-tester for the brand.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As a Celiac Disease advocate, Erica really stresses the necessity for all of us to be advocates for our own health. She demonstrates that it is crucial to speak up to servers, restaurant managers, family members, etc. about our dietary needs and to use every encounter as an opportunity to educate and increase awareness. Like Erica, I have had to leave restaurants in tears due to unintentional "glutenings" and misunderstandings. Reading her experiences was a great reminder that none of us are alone in this. We can all put ourselves in her shoes.
Although I literally just finished this book, I plan to purchase several copies to share with my non Celiac family members and friends, as I feel that through reading it that they will gain a better understanding of what it is like to live with Celiac Disease. And that, yes, I (and all Celiacs) can get sick from exposure to "just one crumb."
I had to opportunity to briefly meet Erica in person at a recent large Celiac Disease conference, and she has truly as awesome in person as she is on paper. Please check out her book and help to spread the word. I promise you will not be disappointed!