Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services heera heera avfly_channel_heera  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,399 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,786 reviews
on February 11, 2000
There is something captivating about this miniseries. I am not sure I can reduce it to words, but I've seen this mini-series several times and I still feel so caught up in the lives of these characters. I too, love Ellie and Levi and the scene where Ellie escapes from the orphanage. When her friend tells her "Ellie - you're running away for *all* of us" it brings tears to my eyes every time.
The little details in this movie - like the letters Ellie sends back to her friend in Lancaster, seem right on target - historically.
The movie has it all - history, romance, disappointment, discouragement, renewal, enduring hope, triumph and more.
This is quality television and very educational. And it is a decent movie for the family.
on April 10, 2014
I'm old enough to remember when this series was televised and I have wanted the set since I found out that it was available on VCR, but I just couldn't pay the price most wanted for the set. As soon as I saw this I snapped it up as it was on sale at a really good price. When they arrived I was really impressed at the quality and ended up buying three sets to give as Christmas presents. The disc's are recorded on both sides and did not seem to be well marked so you had to know where you were on the last disc to know which side you needed to watch on the next disc you inserted. My folks only knew about the double sided disc's after they had watched the entire series, but only on one side. So they got to watch it again with the added time. Somewhat nostalgic as it does bring back feelings of how young you were when you first saw the series and the material that wasn't so pleasant at times as the people age and die, but all in all I feel it was a great series.
on August 26, 2009
The miniseries became a phenomenally popular form of network television entertainment during the 1970s. It was an ideal format for James Michener's novels; his stories are so epic and sweeping that the saga could unfold night after night, lending an air of anticipation for the next "chapter" to unfold.
"Centennial" is the best of the miniseries genre. I can't add much to the other reviews, but suffice it to say that my husband and I enjoyed watching it even more now than we did thirty years ago! Naturally it helps to have no commercials!
I was a young married woman expecting my first child when "Centennial" first aired, and I was fascinated and moved by the story of Levi Zendt and Elly Zahm. What a memorable portrayal by Stephanie Zimbalist of a young pioneer woman, it stuck with me for years.

Who wouldn't enjoy the story of Pasquinel and McKeag? I don't think any other actors could have done a better job bringing such great characters to life than Robert Conrad and Richard Chamberlain. Robert Conrad was particularly good: Pasquinel was a strange man, rather selfish; yet one could not help but have affection for him. Conrad's portrayal was spot-on.
There are so many captivating and memorable characters and scenes in "Centennial."
Who couldn't feel the horror of the Skimmerhorn Massacre?
The cattle drive scenes were skillfully done; alternating danger and tedium, lighthearted camaraderie and the serious, hard reality of the cowboy life kept the story moving along.
Hardworking, innovative Hans Brumbaugh. The twisted, conniving Wendells vs.tough, honest Sheriff Dumire. Oh, and that horrendously tragic dustbowl scene! I could go on and on, but I'll just say that the teleplay is well-written and the casting perfect.

The only faults are the bad seventies "old people" makeup and the rather rushed and slightly preachy ending.
These are very minor flaws for a project of such magnitude.

For those people who have read the book, this is a very honest adaptation.
For history teachers, a wonderful way to bring the past to life. Even though it is a work of fiction, there were true events behind many of the stories.
There is something for everyone in the story of "Centennial."
on October 11, 2004
This was the miniseries that got me hooked on the genre. I was 11 years old when filming started on this epic in 1978 (took 2 years to complete and it was on location to boot. That's not done as much anymore for epics of this magnitude.) I grew up watching it on tape (had taped it off cable in the mid 80's) and wore the tapes out! Bought the VHS box set for my mom about 5 years ago for Christmas (she's also another Centennial fan) and we're about to wear those tapes out between the two of us. This has just GOT to come out on DVD soon.

I don't think I could add anything else to what others have already said, but if you haven't had the opportunity to see this masterpiece of historical fiction, you are really missing out. The characters are so well-defined, you can't help but get caught up in the events and people that shaped the town of Centennial. From Lame Beaver, the Arapaho warrior and his family and Pasquinel and Alexander McKeag (the first white men to arrive in the area along the South Platte river,) to the 1800's when people were moving westward in search of something more or just plain getting away (like Levi Zendt and his first wife, Ellie, who had been ostracized from a Mennonite community in Pennsylvania) and others who wanted adventure (like the British aspring adventurer-turned-rancher Oliver Seacombe,) they planted the seeds for the town which became Centennial. There are also many more memorable characters, too numerous to mention, reacting and surviving the changing times around them. This one has it all: great story, simply beautiful location, an outstanding ensemble cast, and historical facts blend together to create something really special.

So, with that said, let's get this one out on DVD!
on March 13, 2013
Although the book "Centennial" by James Michener goes into much more detail regarding this area of Colorado from pre-history through the present, this DVD set focuses more on the 1700's to the present (up through the '70's) It has much to say about the settlers of the western reaches of the U.S. during that period and discusses much of the injustice visited upon the Native Americans by the incoming settlers. It truly brings to life the human elements of actual efforts to settle the west and the trials and travails of both the incoming settlers and the Indians they displaced.
on March 26, 2017
This was very hard for me to find, but I always enjoy Michener's books. He spends a lot of time on research and transfers much of that to his books, and therefore they can be 'wordy', but once that is gotten past, his drawing of characters and situations are really well done.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 13, 2014
What an epic movie. Takes you through 100 years of America as told by trappers, frontiersman, Indians, western towns.....etc.
Lots of famous actors from the good old days. Robert Conrad, Richard Chamberlain to name a few. Well worth your time and money. Wish it was in BluRay though.
on November 12, 2014
This is a powerful movie natural in it's content. Yes, the actors sport "Hollywood" smiles, however the storyline and authenticity will deter the viewer from putting stock in personal appearances. This movie brings to life the hardships, sadness, and perseverance of both the settlers and the Native Indian, while putting History in motion. I will watch over and over during the span of my life.
on March 22, 2017
Fantastic....delivered in one day!!!
on January 13, 2012
I had watched this mini-series several years ago. It is a great story and has wonderful characters. An all-star cast really makes this story come alive. It is amazing how each character has their own story to tell and how they work together to make a spectacular event as this.