Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 26, 2017
When Centennial first aired as a twenty-hour TV series in the 1980’s I was 100% mesmerized...totally captivated. The book is no exception. Ok truthfully, clocking in at 1,068 pages it may get a bit tiresome towards the end but still...a sweeping embodiment of place and space in time...in this case, the American west...Colorado’s Front Range.

Beginning with the indigenous Native Americans and fur trappers Pasquinel and McKeag; we eventually follow western migration with Levi Zendt; the Indian Wars; homesteaders; cattle drives; the railroad; ranches and farms; irrigation practices, immigration of Hispanics and others, plus so much more up to the mid-1970’s, this covers the entire scope of what happened in a particular place throughout time...as we call it...history.

A far-reaching and worthy novel of how conflicts and struggles over the ages were or were not resolved. Makes one ponder what happened in their corner of the world from so long ago.
on September 23, 2017
I read this novel some twenty years ago but had forgotten much of it. As we were going to view the solar eclipse in this vicinity, I decided to re-read it. I believe I enjoyed it even more this time. I like all of James Michener's books but this is one of my favorites! Since it is such a long book, it takes a while to read but there are easy stopping points. The ending of it reminds us of the same transitions we are experiencing today, and life goes on....
on June 8, 2016
One of Mitchener's finest writings, an epic novel about the settlement of the United States. I read it from cover to cover and loved it from
beginning to end. The stories of the different characters will remain with you and you will be able to envision them in their individual
settings" Clay Basket, Frenchie and the rest. An amazing novel, one which you want to keep in your library and gift to friends.
on September 30, 2017
Another book read fifty years ago. Many friends tell me Centennial is the best book they have read. Sometimes it is Mine too. The characters are generously portrayed, if sometimes unlovely. The country builds in your mind and your soul. The stories are uplifting, mostly, of men who triumph through energy and determination. I love all of his books, his writing, his enormous sense of history that leads to a picture that builds the under story of today so that we understand how we came to be us, now, and how we build the future. These books,this author should be compulsory reading for students whatever they want to achieve.
on January 21, 2014
I have been waiting ever since I got my first Kindle for the day when I could read this wonderful book on it. It does not disappoint me in any way. I find that I can now read it so much easier than in the physical paper book which was such small print that I had finally given up on it. Originally I had read the library book and years later watched the television series. But this book has such a remarkable feel for the American spirit that I wish I could place it at the very top of books that all Americans should read and enjoy. Once you start it you will feel this spirit and will have a better understanding of the men and women who built our country.
on January 10, 2011
Next to the Holy Bible, Centennial is the best book I have ever read.
And Centennial is the best television miniseries I have ever seen.

James Michener placed his fictional town of Centennial 10 miles southeast of the Colorado city of Greeley, to serve as the center of his panoramic saga of the settling of the American West. Centennial is a novel which masterfully weaves fiction and history in the entertaining manner that James Michener perfected. Whatever you most enjoy reading - mystery, adventure, romance, action, history, even science - Centennial has it all. It is a thoroughly enjoyable (and informative) read, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Michener wrote many bestsellers but he peaked with Centennial, which is one reason Centennial was also made into a remarkably ambitious, 26+ hour 1978 television miniseries. It is also sold by Amazon (Centennial: The Complete Series), and at a bargain price. Costing a then-enormous $25 million, Centennial the miniseries involved 4 directors and 5 cinematographers. The miniseries remained very faithful to the blockbuster book, and it was extremely well done in every way. Don't be concerned about how this 1978 production will look on your big-screen HDTV, because the six DVDs look absolutely beautiful on mine.

In conclusion, if you are not yet acquainted with Centennial I envy you, because you are in for a treat. Read the book, and then enjoy the equally-excellent miniseries. You will not be disappointed.

BTW, the fact that Centennial is not yet available as an e-book is inexcusable. Please click on the "Tell the publisher! I'd like to read this book on Kindle" prompt at the top of this page (under the picture of the book). Thank you.
on November 15, 2014
Historical fiction cinema at its best. Great actors playing believable roles, lavish period accurate sets, attention holding drama.
For the unfamiliar, the history of an evoloving Colorado locale spanning native American occupation thru westward settlement by "white" Americans including trappers, homesteaders, miners, ranchers, entrepreneurs and the inevitable conflicts between them. Transcending the cowboys & indians "westerns" period portrayal, sympathetic attention is given to the deplorable treatment of the original indigenous inhabitants by land hungry occupiers supported by an expansionist government. Perhaps now considered dated cliche with the passage of 36 years, still an entertaining and educational experience for me.
on February 6, 2018
I’ve loved the Michener novels since I was 19 years old, stationed aboard a Navy ship, and passing the time waiting in the chow line by reading. I’ve read Centennial in hard cover and paperback form more than a few times since the mid ‘70’s. I stumbled on this digital version and just had to have it for our trip to France in May...Well told, with lots of historically accurate information.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 8, 2018
Love this American History saga. Gives a full week - night of excellent acting, fascinating story and understanding of what our
ancestors did to explore and create this great country we live in.
on December 29, 2016
I first read this book in 1976 and loved it! I am re- reading it now and loving it just as much! A great story that does not diminish over time. Michener is a great story teller.