Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 134 reviews
on June 1, 2014
I enjoyed reading "A Century of Wisdom from the Life of Alice Herz-Sommer" not only because she was an amazing woman who lived through the Holocaust but also because of her incredible life as a musician. The book pulled me into her social circle of world famous musicians as well as other notables such as Albert Einstein and Golda Meir. Caroline Stoessinger, a musician herself, relates how full of life Ms Herz-Sommer is and always seeing the the good in all situations. I would recommend this book to anybody who loves classical music, reads books about the Holocaust or wants an uplifting story to savor.
on September 5, 2013
My book club read A Garden of Eden in Hell by Melissa Muller. After reading that book, I wanted to learn more about Alice. I couldn't believe that I, someone who enjoys both classical music and history, had lived as long as I have without knowing about Alice Herz-Sommer. I went on line to find out more about her, and I saw this book, which I purchased and read. It is a good follow-up to the first book because it tells a lot of the same stories, but goes into more detail. For example, it tells more about Alice's friendship with Franz Kafka and also goes into detail about her son, Rafael. Alice's life is such an inspiration to me. It's amazing that she is still living at age 109. The book even included a couple of Alice's favorite recipes. I made the apple cake and served it at the book club when we discussed Alice's life. I would recommend both books, especially for those who appreciate classical music and history.
on May 24, 2016
I love the book
Very inspiring and one that can change one outlook in life
Isabel Reich
on March 5, 2017
good
on December 31, 2013
There is really no explaining why some events destroy one person and are conquered by another. Alice Herz Sommer had a charmed life as a young married woman in pre WWII Prague. A beloved daughter in an upper middle class jewish family she was also an extraordinary musician. But the day the Nazis invaded Czechoslovakia her world imploded. Her mother and husband were sent to concentration camps and eventually so was Alice along with her six year old son. Music saved her life and her soul over and over again.She just refused to see herself as a victim. The Nazis did not conquer Alice, neither did breast cancer or the death of her beloved son. Read this book and see how you see the world differently and your role in the world--even if the effect is just for one day. A powerful story about an extraordinary person.
on August 9, 2014
i usually try to avoid intimate portrayals of Holocaust victims because what i already know about this horrible debauchery gives me nightmares. But this account is different. Without going into too much detail about the gruesome facts involved, this lovely 109 year-old lady has the best attitude i have ever heard of, stating that "every day i live, even during that horrible time, was beautiful, as i was privileged to LIVE!" Life, to her, is so beautiful that she looks forward to each and every day as we all should: as if it will be her last and she wants to get the most out of it. She has an uncanny ability to embrace life's trials and hardships as challenges to prove her strength and look back on with triumph. As we all should. i had to have this book to broaden my outlook, had to have this opportunity to prolong my life with this kind of positivity. Being a musician like her, i marveled at the ease with which she, at 109, plays a Bach Invention on the piano. An invention is a piece which is a contrapuntal wonder, the melody occurring in exactness in 2 parts, one starting a certain number of measures before the other, and continuing likewise to the end, both parts conflicting yet perfectly fitting to the other masterfully. Anyone who can play these artful turns shows extreme coordination as well as great discipline, as the art can be lost much more quickly without continued practice. A lesson in inspiration! Once again, Amazon, you provided me with a needed lift!
on July 8, 2014
Tucked away in her small London apartment, Alice would have been just another Holocaust survivor had a documentary crew not made the Academy Award winning "The Lady in Number 6." Get it, watch it, read this book and you'll never again have a totally crappy day in your life. Alice Herz-Sommers is happiness personified and she shows all of us how simple is can be (no, not really "Simple", but possible) to put hatred aside in favor of love.
Ken Resch
on May 17, 2014
I raced through this book. It was so full of gentle comments and wisdom from the long life of Alice Herz-Sommer. I can see why she had many friends and admirers throughout her life who visited her even when she remained in her home and no longer went out after reaching more than one hundred years old. She had so many experiences throughout her life and enjoyed sharing what she had learned and experienced with others. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about the life of those we admire.
on June 1, 2014
I bought this little book after watching the documentary "The Woman in Number 6" about Alice Herz-Sommer. She was an absolutely amazing lady and such a wonderful talent at the piano. She inspired everyone from the dark in the concentration camp to all of her students through the years. It is an excellent book to read!
on May 29, 2014
Very good book and the title says everything. There is always something to learn for the life of others, specially from Alice Herz-Sommer who went through so much, facing everything with bravery and being a role model for her son and now, through her book, for the world.