- Series: Certification Press
- Paperback: 590 pages
- Publisher: McGraw-Hill Osborne Media; 1 edition (August 12, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0071490035
- ISBN-13: 978-0071490030
- Product Dimensions: 7.3 x 1.2 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 13 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #650,453 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
SCJA Sun Certified Java Associate Study Guide (Exam CX-310-019) (Certification Press) 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
There is a newer edition of this item:
"Rebound" by Kwame Alexander
Don't miss best-selling author Kwame Alexander's "Rebound," a new companion novel to his Newbery Award-winner, "The Crossover,"" illustrated with striking graphic novel panels. Pre-order today
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
About the Author
Robert Liguori, SCJP, has been a Senior Software Engineer since 1996 and is currently the lead developer for several Java based air traffic management applications. Mr. Liguori has a Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Information Technology from Richard Stockton College of New Jersey. Mr. Liguori is also the President of the Atlantic City Java User Group.
Edward Finegan, SCJP, is a Senior Java Software Developer and is currently working in the casino industry developing gaming software. He has past experience in aerospace radar data commutation and artificial intelligence, specifically machine learning algorithms. Mr. Finegan has a Bachelors degree in Computer Science from Rowan University, and a Masters degree in Computer Science from Virgina Commonwealth University.
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Even though it would be possible to return data back from a method by using this practice, it is not considered a good coding practice.
This should be something like:
A method can return more than one value to its caller by setting attributes of an object that it receives as a parameter. However, this is a poor coding practice.
There are so many typos that you don't trust the authors.
Some of the questions are so badly worded that you don't know whether they are trick questions, or the authors simply don't know how to express themselves clearly.
It's a shame that the authors didn't get a proofreader. If they had, this book could have been excellent.
Btw, the SCJP by Sierra and Bates contrasts with this book; SCJP is well written and well proofed.
Other than that I think it was an easy read and it certainly held my attention. It was a good primer for the SCJP exam. I think I will skip the SCJA exam and just move forward and get the SCJP instead.
Again, Amazon gets my books to my super quick which does have a small effect on the greatest of the material delivered.
(1) This book is very poorly written and at times it seems as if it was written by a first year college student.
(2) For those who don't know, the SCJA is extremely easy. The objectives of the SCJA are very basic in nature and, for the most part, only require a very high-level understanding of most items. Yet, as simple as the exam is, this book leaves out a lot. If you are new to the world of Java programming and related items such as UML, then this book will set you up for failure as it leaves a lot to be desired for what is actually on the exam.
(3) I do not know who performed the technical quality control for this book but the exercises and practice exams are ridiculous. Many of the programming exercises have very obvious errors. Many of the exam questions are WRONG. Many people use practice exams to do a quick study of key points before a certification. What good does this do if many of the practice exam questions provided with the book are WRONG?
If you want to pass this exam, do not buy this book. The SCJA is too easy to fail because of a bad purchase. If you already bought this bought this book and have some experience with Java and object-oriented principles then Google SCJA Tips along with UML overviews and you'll be fine. If you have no Java experience and you bought this book, go back to the bookstore.
I think this book worths 4 stars because it contains some minor mistakes, but I put 5 just to close its rating to reality. So, this can be your first book for learning Java, and you can use this book to pass the SCJA exam. Good Luck!