Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card

Showing 1-10 of 413 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 438 reviews
on January 10, 2015
It grows! And that is what's important.
review image
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2013
I was hesitant to buy five lbs. of seed I hadn't tried before, but it has proved fresh and viable. I have three BackToTheRoots "AquaFarms" and no desire to struggle with the lighting or temperature requirements of less hardy plants so all fifteen net pots are dedicated to growing wheatgrass. You can practically see it growing it is so quick.

I know I supposedly could live forever if I drank the stuff, but I'm using it for nitrate reduction in the fish tanks, crayfish food, and cat nibbles. I guess the crayfish and cats will have to deal with immortality.

If you want good wheatgrass seeds for any purpose, this company has them.
on September 14, 2014
This seed was probably one of the worst purchases I have ever made. I have tried almost every planting method I could find on the web and this seed is just bad. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I sincerely hope anyone who reads this review follows my advice and moves on. I'm sure there is another reputable source out there. I'm going to order more from hopefully a better source. If you know of one, please let me know.
on February 15, 2013
With the major, stand-alone, pet food stores only offering about an ounce of seed packaged with some dirt for $10-plus, I wanted to find a better means give the cats the greens they crave and save my houseplants and wallet. I purchased the 5 pound bag from Root Naturally and uploaded pics of the product I received. It comes in a resealable bag so the review of the spilled seed in the shipping box resulting from the twist-tied bag may no longer apply.

I seeded two 4 inch pots. The first shoots sprouted in 5 days and began taking cuttings for the pets 6 days later once the shoots reached about four inches in height.

I've been taking cuttings daily for a month and there is a lot left for this batch. The hard red winter wheat seeds from the pet food store would be done growing after a month, turn brown and die.

This product of hard red winter wheat seeds is still growing strong after a month with no signs of discoloration and dieback. I'll grow this year round rather than letting the pets eat grass from outside. After all, I now have plenty of seeds.
review image review image
on April 8, 2017
I bought ten pounds of this seed in 2012 and grew wheatgrass to juice. After a few weeks I stopped juicing. Fast forward to 2017when I recently found the remaining seeds in storage and decided to again grow wheatgrass and start juicing. After being in storage for five years, the wheat berries are still very much viable and grows great!
on August 6, 2015
Got these seeds to keep my indoor kitties happy.

Planted them and had a lot of grass (and I have a brown thumb) until they chewed it all. Definitely recommend for kitties!
review image review image
on February 13, 2014
There are two places that I could find in Omaha that sold organic wheatgrass seed. Both stores didn't stock the seed year round and the cost per pound was quite a bit higher. Part of growing my own wheatgrass is to save money, so this low cost per pound is of interest for me.

I made quite a few flats with this five pound bag, and I would estimate that I had a rate of higher than 95 percent germination. This is high quality seed. Some posters reported a low rate of germination and poor results, but mine were very consistent.

I believe that the main key to getting he wheatgrass started is soaking in the dark. This seed needs to be covered to have the best chance of sprouting. Also keep in a place that doesn't get too cold. A little heat improves sprouting considerably.

There are numerous videos of people starting this seed on youtube, and I found them very helpful in getting started.

I have to give this five stars for being high quality seed and sprouting and growing very consistently. Well packaged and shipped. Would buy again definitely.
on December 26, 2015
Top quality product. Very well packaged. The seeds look very clean with no trash. I would highly recommend this product for anyone wanting to cold press some Wheat Grass.
on September 3, 2013
I googled instructions the first time and had trouble getting these to sprout. Did some more research and it's really simple. Four stars because not all of them sprout, but considerably less expensive than paying $10/bag at Whole Foods which was adding up to $45/week for us.

1. Wash well in a strainer
2. Soak overnight covered so that light doesn't get into them (not sealed)
3. Add seeds to the trays in the a sprouter. We useVictorio VKP1014 4-Tray Kitchen Seed Sprouter
4. Water 2 - 3x daily
5. When they sprout, transfer to a container with soil, not in direct sunlight
6. Water 2x daily
7. About 7 days later cut, wash, juice and enjoy

Mold - a small fan to keep air circulating will supposedly cut down on mold. Doesn't matter, we just rinse well before juicing.

Juicer Kuvings NS-900 Silent Upright Masticating Juicer, Black. Ours from Warehouse deals, great price and was new in the opened box

Another option which we haven't tried yet is to blend it in water then drink. A high end blender is required Blendtec TB-621-20 Total Blender, Black

It really isn't much work. So worth it!
on April 9, 2014
Each bag is exactly enough seed to fill the standard 11x22 black seedling trays. They take about a week to reach maturity, which you tell by observing the second grass blade growing, at which point you harvest, and juice it. Each bag (visible in product picture) that fills a seedling tray yields about 3/4 of a cup of juice, using an augur press. You WILL destroy your blender if you try blending the stuff!

I tried getting multiple harvests from one tray, and even used a brix refractometer to measure the sugar content (virgin grow- 6, second growth- also 6, but not as tasty), which is a measure of plant health, to see if there was any difference; there wasn't. I have no way to measure the vitamin content, so the regrowth could have been terribly low for all I know. Each growth gets progressively susceptible to mold, as the grass grows so close together, so do as the directions say, and throw it out after the first harvest.

I throw all the spent seeds/roots in my worm composter; they seem to like them.