Top positive review
8 people found this helpful
on October 16, 2016
There are so many bad reviews about speakers in this price range plus there are a host of unknown Chinese brands that I wanted to make sure I got a brand that is known and is of high quality which lead me to Cerwin Vega. I looked at other brands but from consistent poor reviews to some brands having overheat issues, the XD4's seemed to fit the bill. Here are my thoughts on the speakers.
1. Great build quality, no flimsy/cheap feeling materials
2. A little larger compared to other brands that have a 4" driver ( 8" deep, 6" wide, 9" tall)
3. About 4lbs each speaker
4. Flat response with no EQ which is really nice when using as recording monitors
5. The Bass boost switch gives a certain lushness at low volumes. Very nice!
6. Front Panel headphone and Aux inputs.
7. Quality gold plated 1/8 to RCA cable is included
8. Quality but proprietary speaker cross connect cable. The cable is about 4.5' long which is what Cerwin Vega feels is perfect separation point. I have no issue with this and most should not but if you want a longer cable, you need to call Cerwin Vega or have your own made.
9. NO white noise from these units at all which is fantastic and unheard of at this price point. The amplifier is super clean.
10. From low to high volumes these speakers shine and using an EQ with them will make you feel like you done the right thing buying these!
11. If you want loud, the XD4 speakers will give it to you WITHOUT distortion. I had these cranked up playing classic rock and was blown away due to the lack of distortion. Of course you need to keep the EQ settings within the rated specs
12. The bass is NICE AND TIGHT with no flab! With teh XD4 and XD5 speakers, in my pinion there is no need for a subwoofer but, you can always an XD8
13. Treble and mids sounds really nice in fact, I am one who loves to scoop the mids but not much scooping is needed to make me happy since the mids are quite satisfying.
14. 3 year warranty
15. Company owned by Gibson
The main speaker (which contains the amplifier) gets warm but not hot which is nice. I am not sure it has a thermal protection circuit but I am going to ask Cerwin and would bet it does just because these are Cerwin Vega speakers which are always top notch in quality, design and hardware. The system has an auto standby which kicks in after 30 minutes of the speakers not detecting audio. You know if they are in standby since the glowing red ring around the volume goes out but the power is still on. To get the speakers out of standby, you must send an audio signal which takes about 6 seconds for the speakers to wake up. The speakers wake up so elegantly without pops, crackle or snaps which is so nice and another attribute showing the great quality of these speakers. The standby mode is a great feature because I don't feel like turning my speakers off for the night and during standby, the amplifier disconnects and cools down.
All in all, I compared these to Mackie, M-Audio, Presonus and others and decided on Cerwin Vega and I could not be happier.