Customer Reviews: Chamberlain CG40D 1/2-HP Chain Drive Garage Access System
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on December 5, 2009
This is an entry model for Chamberlain, but not cheap on quality. Installation was a breeze, easily adjusted to meet my installation needs, and works great. I am sure there are quiter models out there but this one meets our needs. If you just need the garage door to go up and down reliably, this is it.
on July 26, 2010
I have have bought and installed two Chamberlain 3/4 HP garage door openers on my two wood double garage doors. They were easy to install and have worked flawlessly for the past year. I have just installed this 1/2 HP opener on the third garage which has an aluminum light weight door. The installation again was easy and adjustment quick. This kit is different from the others in that it only includes one remote which has only one button. The others had two remotes and three buttons each. Easy to program the cars and the other button to this door opener. Additionally, there is no lock out button or manual light button with this one like the others, just a doorbell button to open and close it. In short, if this were the only opener that I had, it is a little short on features. Since it is a secondary opener, and works with the others, it is just fine.
on February 7, 2012
I chose this CG40D garage door opener because I was replacing my old Chamberlain garage door opener, almost the exact same model, that lasted 18 years.

If you have read other reviews on this site, you will notice that some of the reviewers stated that the chain that came with the opener was not long enough - one reviewer even went so far as to cut the track to meet the length requirements of the chain. This would not be necessary if he had called Chamberlain (the support telephone number is included on several documents).

During my install process, I also discovered that the chain was too short. I called Chamberlain, and they did confirm that some CG40D models did in fact go to retail with short chains. They were extremely apologetic, and were completely honest and forthcoming about their own error. They asked me for the serial number, and sent me a new chain with overnight delivery, which I found to be a very reasonable and responsible solution. Given the excellent price and quality of the opener, I was satisified with their response.

As for the installation, one person can definitely do the job alone, as I did. The instructions were well laid out, with clear diagrams, and in the correct sequence. Of course, if you are not the type who enjoys such projects, or does not have any experience with tools and mechanical items, I would suggest getting an experienced helper, or hiring someone to install it. Measurements must be precise.

I installed it in my detached garage, so noise is not an issue for me (I do not have to worry about waking anyone up with vibrations throughout the house when using it). I find the noise level to be fine, much quieter than other items in my garaqge, such as an air compressor, or starting up my tractor or other small engine equipment.

I am using this opener with a heavier style garage door (Clopay Premium Series 9' X 7' model 2050). The CG40D garage door opener is more than adequate for this door.

My two most important recommendations would be to (1) before the day that you plan to install it, assemble the rail, trolley and "U-bracket" (you will see what those are in the manual), lay it or bolt it together on the motor housing, before getting too far into the install, and wrap the chain around the assembly to determine if the chain is the correct size (if it is too short, the chain will not reach from one end of the trolley to the other) . If it is not, call Chamberlain right away, so you can have the correct chain sent to you immediately, so that you may complete the installation. And, (2), be very precise with your measurements. If your measurements are not precise, you will have problems down the road, as the unit will be under undue stress.

Also, a tip, per the instructions, do not install the electric eye sensors to be located in direct sunlight. From previous experience, this will cause the opener to "think" that there is something in its path, and the door will not close without manual intervention.

I would definitely recommend this product - a great value. I rate it 4 stars instead of five, as I thought it should have included a couple extra 2" lag bolts, and more importantly, a second remote control for the opener.
on July 14, 2010
Opener was easy to install and operates very smoothly. Instructions were easy to follow. I do wish that it came with two remotes and that was the only drawback. Shipping was very fast and was packaged well.
on July 19, 2012
I bought this product as a replacement for another brand that failed. I already had a Chamberlain opener working the other garage door. I thought that my remote controls from that unit would work on the new unit. I was wrong. Chamberlain says the two units are incompatible. I will still need to use separate remotes. Before you buy you can determine compatibility with older Chamberlain openers by contacting them online or by phone. This was a step I should have taken.

The new unit works fine in all other respects, and the installation was fairly easy.

My Honda has the ability to memorize remotes from any manufacturer, so I put both remotes in memory without a hitch.

This unit comes with a modified chain. It is half chain and half cable. I immediately thought that was a smart change since only the chain part goes through the main drive gear. I thought it would be quieter and for Chamberlain cheaper to manufacture. Over time I have come to realize this unit makes more noise than my other Chamberlain with a full chain running the second door. I believe the taught cable acts like a string on a bass violin (Think Hitchcock's Psycho). From outward appearances the two units look identical in all other respects. I am changing my recommendation to 3 stars.
on March 10, 2010
This was a very easy door opener to install. I even beefed up my garage door, and this baby still doesn't have any problems. It is very quiet. The only reason I gave it four stars was because it doesn't have a heat shield, but a cut up tin can makes a great substitute.
on May 15, 2012
I bought this being the cheapest opener on Amazon, I wasn't sure about the quality but I thought, why not? It took me about 2 hours to install but I was replacing a broken door opener (Sears) so all the mounting hardware was already up, and I took my time. I wouldn't say it opens quickly but it's faster than my old one. Also it has about an average amount of noise, I didn't think it was overly loud. All the parts were included and of good quality. It does only come with one remote but I knew that when I bought it. If you want 2 remotes you probably have to pay more. Also a 60w standard size bulb fits behind the cover and it turns off after the 4 1/2 minutes it says in the description. For the money I definitely recommend this opener.
on May 17, 2011
This is a good, economical unit; however, it was incomplete (2 critical parts missing from the box). I was able to get the missing parts shipped to me within a week from the state (AZ) next door. Installation was not hard, but 2 people are required. I've had it in operation for 2 weeks, and it works very well. I would recommend it. Do note, however, that it only comes with 1 remote, which works fine for me.
on February 18, 2012
After reading previous reviews, I was hesitant to buy this garage door opener, but went ahead with the purchase anyway. This opener was to replace an older Chamberlain opener and I thought that I would be able to use many of the old parts and perhaps just replace the drive head. No such luck. I ended up replacing all of the old parts so it was virtually a new installation.

The installation was reasonably straightforward and lining up the safety beam was surprisingly easy. The only minor issue that I have with the unit concerns the light. First, the bulb cover is not large enough to fit over a regular CFL bulb, but I did manage to find a smaller CFL that did fit. Second, once I had the bulb installed, it would light up just fine, but would not turn off after 45 seconds as it was supposed to. I ended up removing the bulb. Other than that, the unit works perfectly. Other comments discussed how slow the door opens and closes, but it seems just fine to me, and all of the parts were there (earlier comments had mentioned missing parts, but that was not the case here.)

All in all, a good unit at a good price.
on March 13, 2011
I purchased two of these units and believe that either Chamberlain received in a bad batch or there is a serious problem with these openers. Both units are super loud even with the garage door disengaged from the unit. It's almost like a loud buzzing sound. I replaced 8 year old Allstar Chain Openers and they were not half this noisy. I've already been on the phone with Chamberlain a couple times going over installation. I did made some adjustments but nothing seems to solve the problem. I emailed Chamberlain that I would like them replaced but the response was all we can do is send you parts as we don't replace the openers even if they're new. Chamberlain CG40D 1/2-HP Chain Drive Garage Access SystemChamberlain CG40D 1/2-HP Chain Drive Garage Access System