+ $3.99 shipping
& FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details
About the Product
- Endless opportunities for exploration as you break free of the walls of Millenium City and bring justice to a vast array of areas across, beneath and beyond the globe.
- The Champions Online universe is jam-packed with thousands of heroes, facing thousands of threats. Join up with other heroes, create your own superteam, and prepare to take on the ultimate threats.
- Unparalleled customization options allow you to choose from thousands of costume pieces, colors, and powers to create the hero that you envision. The ability to create the ultimate challenge for your hero by customizing and outfitting his/her nemesis
- A creative combat experience allows for fast and furious fights where you see in four color comics with a battle system that's a mixture of exciting action and reactive tactics.
- Includes $5 Cryptic Bucks and a 30 day free online trial
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
I just wanted to add a quick note that this game will be free to play soon if they haven't already made the switch. It won't be 100% free as none of these "free to play" MMORPGs truly are, but you will be able to access the bulk of the game for no monthly fee soon. I would highly recommend checking this out for the low low price of free and perhaps then opt in to some of the priced content.
Overall, I am still pleased with the game and maintain my rating of it. As an avid WoW player I don't feel that Champions Online is going to be a game for me which will replace WoW by any means but I am pleasantly surprised by how fun it is to play. It has so far served me quite well as a respectably good distraction.
You start off by making your character. The promises Cryptic made in regards to the depth of customization were delivered in spades. In terms of looks you are limited to various costume pieces, of which there are many, but the majority of them can be altered in several ways including material, color, and patterns. I was a little disappointed to find that certain costume pieces can't be used with others (chest armor + cape = no?) but with the shear level of options it was a fading disappointment as I moved on to other cool ideas. I'm immensely satisfied with the creation features. Other costume items can be unlocked through gameplay via random drops, PvP, and such. These unlocked costume items are currently only available to the character which unlocks them but you can change your costume around after creation.
For your powers you can choose from pretty generic comic book archetypes like a fire user, or super strength, or telekinesis etc.Read more ›
According to an interview of the creators, "We decided to swing hard in the other direction so it's like now there isn't enough content for levels, so we really made a big adjustment but we could tell we were close. From there we know we can go back in the other direction and ease off of those changes." Yet according to developer comments they now have the game right where they want it to be. This makes writing a review fairly hard.
In my view, the game before the change was fantastic. The game after the change is average. Theoretically they will move the pointer back to the fantastic side, but who knows?
My advice is to hold off a few months before purchasing and see what the game turns into. Since there is so much flux right now you might not be buying what you think you were buying.
Overall, the character creation is very nice although you are not told that certain combinations are impossible. For example you can't both have a chest piece and have a cap. They are mutually exclusive. There is no notice given so if you don't already know these types of things exist you end up in trouble. The fact that when you change one type of item, it erases your choices of other items without telling you is inexcusable. Now, if you already have a planned look and go from the front to the end, you can pretty much get that look with only a few compromises, but testing out variations often leads to frustration as components disappear and reappear in what, to you, appear to be randomly.Read more ›
- The game is very fast-paced, and full of action. If you're tired of standing in one place waiting for every power you have to come off a cooldown so you can hit it again... then this game may be for you.
- The character creator is terrifically versatile. I can't possibly count how many various combinations of costuming are available but I assure you there is likely something for everyone. You will also unlock additional costume pieces as you go through the game, find 'power replacement' items, etc. As you advance in levels you will gain additional costume slots that you can also customize, allowing you to switch between these costumes on the fly in the field. Another interesting note - various part locations will allow you to set one piece for the right and another for the left (example - huge shoulder pad on the left and a smaller pad on the right) to create even more diversity.
- Customizable frameworks - While admittedly not every power combination is great the fact that you can pretty much pick and choose the powers you want as you level is something that really makes me feel in control of my character's progression. I'm not 'locked' into a preset track "Oh, I'm level xx, I get the ability that this class always gets at level xx".
- I love the comic book feel of the game. The comic book line style graphic option will possibly turn some people off (in which case they can turn IT off) but for me it makes me feel like I'm playing in a 3d comic book. Love it.
- Only one main server. This is too awesome.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Decent game, not enough players but well crafted game. FTP now.Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer
it was fun until I got banned because of politics between me and other PvP players (they were jealous of me and lied en masse to have me banned)Published 14 months ago by gamer15
After using one of these codes, the cryptic website would not let me enter a second one. Apparently, only 1 "activation" code per account is allowed. Read morePublished on December 25, 2013 by Gilbert Salcedo
This is a pretty decent game. The character creation is good. the gameplay is good and it is all around a good game. That being said. It isn't much better than good. Read morePublished on May 23, 2013 by Chris W.
I can't believe how many people say that City of Heroes is better than this game...what a joke! Champions F2P is hands-down the better game. Read morePublished on August 8, 2011 by E. Hunt
i got into Champions Online through Free to Play. even with limitations with F2P the character customization is better than City of Heroes. the graphics are even better. Read morePublished on June 24, 2011 by Zhiro
I played this game for a few weeks for free under silver membership status before I bought this and boy was this worth the $4 and change. Read morePublished on April 20, 2011 by Amazon Customer
I really can't tell you how outdated, pathetic, and boring this game was...I'm not sure the words exist in the English language. Read morePublished on March 6, 2011 by damoncjones
The game just went free to play (F2P) with various "Archetype" classes available to silver accounts (free accounts) with a microtransaction store for various items, devices, and a... Read morePublished on March 4, 2011 by Bacon Overlord