Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 28, 2017
A Chance In The World by Steve Pemberton just breaks your heart. This true story of a child betrayed by all the people and forces put in place to help him, is a sad commentary on the foster care system. By his own resiliency and fortitude Steve survived, what can only be called a living hell. He did find some along the way to keep a glimmer of hope alive that someday, somewhere there would be a life for him, thank God for those few folks.
There is somewhat of a parallel of this story and that of Antwon's Fisher's, as told in "Finding Fish", especially of the father's family. Both Steve and Antwone were raised within blocks of their father's relatives (who would have rescued the child) yet never knew until adulthood. This is a book I highly recommend and feel it should be required reading for all who work in the foster care system.
5 people found this helpful
on April 28, 2017
This emotionally gripping story demonstrates the strength and resilience of its author, and gives hope to others who have gone through or are going through such traumas. The brokenness of the foster care system in our country is revealed and perhaps by reading this true account, more people with honest intensions will step up and help the helpless and the victimized children without a voice. Every foster care worker and child services worker should be required to read this book so that they will see the signs so ignored by those in this author's life and in the lives of his siblings and other children.
4 people found this helpful
on April 5, 2017
I really enjoyed this autobiography of Steve Pemberton. It was so well written and heart wrenching at times. Steve overcame the worst kind of life in foster care and was able to find his family, finish his education, have a wife and family of his own, and mostly give credit to his faith in God. I'm not sure he could write a "sequel", but he is certainly a talented author so maybe he will write about other people who have overcome the odds and have meaningful lives. I hope he does and I'm following him on amazon now.
4 people found this helpful
on September 27, 2014
Bravo, Mr. Pemberton! This book is such a tribute to your courage and resolve. I can understand why so many people are in disbelief that you survived such horrors. This book is as inspiring, as it is haunting. It is beyond shameful that our foster care system was so broken that people could get away with such unspeakable crimes. This leads me to one of my lingering questions: has the system improved at all since Mr. Pemberton's experience, and has he personally done any work to improve the situation for these children? During the time at which he endured hardship under his tormenters, it seemed as though there was a tremendous amount of red tape. Despite the very alarming red flags that were made evident throughout his stay with these monsters, it seemed next to impossible that anyone could save him. Had it not been for his determination, it seems unlikely that he would've persevered, since there seemed to be no good end in sight. The author is a tremendous writer and uses beautiful language to convey his thoughts. The quotes that precede each chapter were so pertinent to the content, and so moving. I found myself cheering for him every step of the way.
3 people found this helpful
on May 11, 2018
CPS all the way back then failed children and they are still doing it today. Stevie was one of the lucky boys who did not die at the hands of his abusers. What is very sad here is he told worker after worker he needed HELP , every single one failed him. CPS get your heads out of your rears as children are dying today. Stevie your a survivor. A strong Man. A hero . I hope you Look at your oun babies and raise them to be Men who never hit. Your my hero for being so strong and doing such a good job of surviving what you did. Keep doing what you have been. I am only half threw the book but angry at the abuse your suffering as so many little ones in my area are missing from abuse right now. We know some have been murdered it hurts.
on January 25, 2018
The living nightmare the author was forced to call his childhood could have easily led him down the same destructive paths that his parents succumbed to, but somehow he managed to survive and ultimately thrive. What some cruel demented people do to children and the incompetency of the agencies paid to protect them is beyond belief. Nothing except pure determination and resilience got little Steve through it all. His story proves that with a little courage better days can be made and even the toughest life can still be amazing as long as hope is never lost.
on May 8, 2018
Great insight into the problems with the Foster Care System, as well as, the strength and resiliency needed to overcome a horrific childhood spent within a broken system. I appreciated Steve Pemberton's insight into the 'recovery' phase after experiencing terrible abuse. A book that brings you to tears and then lifts you up. Well done!!
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Reading Steve Pemberton's story will change your outlook on life. The odds were stacked against him from the beginning. Somehow Steve had the intestinal fortitude to forge ahead through life to create the family that he always dreamed of. All of my family and friends have read this incredible story within 2-3 days of receiving the book. You won't be able to put this book down because the story is so compelling AND well written. You will realize that you don't have real problems and you will gain a new perspective on life. Please buy it, read it and recommend it to your family and friends. Or buy it for them.
59 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 15, 2017
This was both a disturbing and enlightening book. From the news one can glean that the lives of foster children are difficult, but you hope that they at least have better lives than they did in the homes that they came from. I don't know how often this author's situation is true for other children in foster care, but I worry that it may be more common than not. It should be a call for total reform of the foster care system. Mr. Pemberton's story is an inspiration and was riveting to read.
on December 17, 2012
I love to read, usually only biographies and memoirs or factual or historical books. I picked this one up at the library, just by chance. After reading it, I was stunned. Never had I read anything that left me so immobilized in my thoughts. I purchased a copy immediately, knowing that I had to add this one to my permanent library. When my mother, age 96, was visiting me, I suggested she read this book. After reading only to page seven, I heard her on the phone telling her best friend to get this book immediately.
This is a story that would probably capture any thinking adult. It says more than you can absorb about foster homes, missing moms and dads, addiction etc. It also speaks to the evil that sometimes rises in the human condition and fortunately, to the compassion and love that lives out there too. Do yourself a favor and settle in with this compelling book. You won't want to stop except for a bathroom break, and then you'll probably want to take it with you.
After you read it, check the author's name online and look for photographs and videos of most of what he wrote about.