Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 15, 2012
I bought this for my 10 year old granddaughter. She has been reading it off and on since Christmas and says she likes it very much. I'll probably buy the rest of the books in the series.
on March 28, 2010
Diana Donato is not happy. Though she has been in every drama production since elementary school, her rival, Kayleigh Carell, is going to get the part of Emily in the middle school production of Our Town, a part that should be Diana's.

But that's life when you have a wicked step-mother who thinks you are old enough to take on some responsibility and give up everything that is fun in life. So, instead of going to tryouts, Diana has to tackle her first day of work at Cinderella Cleaners, the family dry-cleaning business.

Though hesitant to admit it, because Fay could never be right, Diana begins to enjoy her time at work. If nothing else, she has a chance to work in fashion - at least in a way - and might get dibs on something great that has been left in the "rack" after two months of not being claimed. Cat and Elise, two high school girls who work at Cinderella Cleaners, are kind of cool, too.

Diana also learns a few necessary life lessons along the way, including knowing when to admit she knows something and when it's okay to keep it quiet. Her main dilemma happens when she finds a pair of tickets to a sold-out Broadway production. After learning that the client will be out of town on the night of the show, Diana is tempted to use the tickets herself.

The first novel in a new series, this story challenges the way people justify doing something they know is wrong. What will happen if Diana uses those tickets? Who will know if she has shirked her responsibilities and gone on the experience of a lifetime? Who will it hurt?

Gold asks (and answers) these questions as Diana makes choices about what she should do and then has to deal with consequences that are beyond her imagination.

Reviewed by: Theresa L. Stowell
3 people found this helpful
on May 11, 2010
A new middle-grade series that follows eighth grader Diana Donato who lives with her dad, step-mom and (of course) her "evil" spoiled step-sisters.

The story closely follows the original Cinderella tale including co-workers at her fathers dry cleaning business who may remind you of a few helpful mice :)...We also have a Ball in the form of a Broadway opening, a prince (the show's young star) and even an lost shoe!

Book 2, Prep Cool, has Diana "borrowing" a school uniform that has been dropped off for cleaning at Cinderella cleaners and ends up sneaking her way into a posh private school where she is determined to fit in.

With the premise of discovering new and exciting clothes at her fathers dry-cleaning business as the basis of these stories, we can only imagine what book 3 will entail...it is entitled Rock Star!

Fun, easy reads that has this series destined to be a hit with middle-grade readers :)
6 people found this helpful
on November 20, 2010
My daughters brought this terrific book to my attention. It is the rage at Middle School and I can see why! Not only is it well written and not condescending to the age group, it is a lot of fun! I took real pleasure in imagining raiding the rack at the cleaners and popping into new "borrowed" finery every chance I get.
Diana Donato is an appealing heroine who is just the right combination of adventurous and scared. My heart stopped- when it looked like she would be caught in the dress at the forbidden Broadway show. Delightfully original, this book is a treat for kids who want and deserve something fresh & with real literary quality...NOT junk food for the brain...This is a wonderful book that made me remember my own adventures at that age and which engaged my daughters and their friends, to the point, they are "borrowing" clothes-- not from the cleaners but from each other & the thrift stores- disguise is always cool!
4 people found this helpful
on April 4, 2010
The best word to describe this book is whimsical....

No wonder the author used the word Cinderella in her title - about Diana, a normal young adult who works at her dad's dry cleaners to make extra money. But somehow, thanks to Diana's imagination and some good friends, she manages to turn the boring dry cleaner into a place where imagination, fairy tales and hopes can come true - especially when a special dress comes in to be dry cleaned.

I thought the story was both touching and beautiful without ever being over the top silly, which could easily have happened here if the author had not been so proficient and talented in the way she weaved her storyline.

The main character is wonderful and actually portrayed as a very ordinary girl who does not have a trust fund - but rather some wonderful friends who are willing to go through some great experiences with her.

Very well written, entertaining as all heck and fun! fun! fun!
3 people found this helpful
on March 10, 2011
I've read all of the Cinderella Cleaners books Maya Gold has finished and every time I finished one, I'm not satisfied. My favorite is the second one. The only downside to these books is that the summaries on the back of the book always say "Will she ever be discovered?" And I know that it's supposed to make you wonder if she will be discovered but she NEVER does. Other than that, these books are great for pre-teen and teen girls!
on March 10, 2011