Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 80 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 96 reviews
on January 21, 2014
Change Your Questions Change Your Life is a simply interesting and powerfully useful perspective for approaching Life's many complex challenges.

We live in an era of feeling victimized by too many forces greater than ourselves. All too often we exasperate our experiences by rationalizing away our own guilt for not having more constructively responded to the difficult situations that we encounter.

While Judgers waste their time and energy looking back at what is already passed, Learners ask questions to find ways they can improve their current (and future) difficult situations. Would you rather your plane pilot was looking back at the turbulence you just flew through or looking ahead to circumvent future turbulence?

Yes, Ben may seem overly simplistic. On the other hand, in my coaching and consulting practice I've encountered many accomplished executives who are much more like simple Ben's than like wise Joseph's! The storyline is simply cogent!

Over the past twenty plus years, business literature has been replete with valid examples of the power of Emotional Intelligence. Proactively asking ourselves the right Learner questions is much more emotionally intelligent than reactively getting ourselves stuck in Judger questions.

If we genuinely want or need to change our situation, what are the tough questions that will most help us understand and feel urgency about what we need to change in ourselves? Even if we experience the frustration of not actually doing what we know we could be doing, through asking the Learner questions we do feel more in-control of our own lives.

Would you rather be frustrated Judger or an accomplished Learner? The Path is yours to choose.
on May 9, 2012
"Change Your Questions Change Your Life' provides tools to help you shift from a disempowering state of judgment where you may be playing the blame game that doesn't solve anything to an open, learning state in which you open yourself to consider choices and possibilities that will get you the results you're after.

The author shares the Top 12 Questions to help you to switch from the judgmental state to a state from which you are better equipped to engage in constructive action. The question are:

What do I want?
What are my choices?
What assumptions am I making?
What am I responsible for?
how else can I think about this?
What is the other person thinking, feeling, and wanting?
What am I missing or avoiding?
What can I learn?
... from this person or situation?
... from this mistake or failure?
... from this success?
What action steps make the most sense?
What questions should I ask (myself or others)?
How can I turn this into a win-win?
What's possible?

Of course, there are many more questions you can ask yourself and others, and several other questions are addressed in this book.

This is a small book and you can read it probably in a few hours. The questions in this book are not exhaustive and you can find other books that go into much greater depth into the art of asking questions. However, exactly because this book is simple, short and easy-to-read, it may be a great place to start and make amazing changes by learning how to shift your state of mind from being fixated on the problem and feeling helpless, to opening the way and transforming any situation, simply by training yourself to ask yourself different questions.

Instead of being stuck in an unpleasant situation, you can ask yourself what can you learn from it and what can you do to turn it around. As a friend of mine used to say "There are no problems, there are only opportunities (for growth)."
on September 10, 2015
Disclaimer I had to buy this book for class. It covers a decent concept of Question Thinking in the worst possible way. The author asked herself, "How can I take a concept that takes 5 minutes to explain and draw it out in 100 plus pages of terrible writing?" She achieved that goal for sure. This reads like a cheesy TV ad. It is an easy read technically but was excruciating since every other paragraph I had to stop and cringe on how tacky this “story” was written. The dialogue seems to come straight out of a Scientology pamphlet and adds rainbows, sunshine, and unicorns with boundless optimism on how this book will cure all your life problems. Do yourself a favor and just google Question Thinking and Choice Map and save yourself the money and hardship.
on August 16, 2013
After I purchased this book (about 4 years ago) I called Marilee Adams and shared with her that of all the books I have read - not one of them has been able to articulate the learning of the power of self-talk as she has. This book has had a profound impact on my life. The reason for writing this note is I recently spoke to my uncle who is a Priest - he too uses Marilee's work as he has seen the positive impact it has. Bottom line, after you read this book and put it into practice you will share it with others and see not only the impact it has on your life, but as important you will see the impact it has on the people's life you care about. Of the 100"s of books I have read, this is the one I recommend more than any other. In fact, I have given out at least 50 copies of this book to people I care about. Marilee - thank you! Your work has and will continue to make a difference.

I am looking forward to reading your next best seller, my understanding is we will see it soon. "Teaching that changes lives"
on July 31, 2015
I have read the book and listened to it via Audible. I was not sure what to think of this book at first. I had signed up for a seminar series and Marilee was the second segment in the series. I immediately was sucked into the book and wanted to highlight each line. If you have had the pleasure of working with Marilee you will recognize her comfortable, genuine storytelling style immediately. This book is authentic and powerful. It changed my approach to, not only my professional relationships, but also my personal. If you want to have greater self-awareness, this is a must read.
on July 15, 2011
Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 10 Powerful Tools for Life and Work (BK Life (Paperback))is a powerful little book. Marilee Adams has given her readers some powerful tools in a story setting that makes the material easy to understand and implement in their lives for fast results. While many are striving for the right answers, Adams shows how asking the right questions is far more important if we want to perceive ourselves, our relationships and interactions clearly without the mental blind spots we so often place in our own ways. Her Learner/Judger model helps to explain that although we will never be perfectly successful at not prejudging the situations we encounter, there is a simple method to "re-route" ourselves for success. Everyone who wants to live their life and enjoy their relationships at the highest level of quality should read this book!
on June 19, 2014
This book illustrates some great techniques!

I finished the book yesterday and already I've seen some nice changes in my life. I'm examining where I'm being judgemental of others and myself, and in those situations, switching into a more learning and creative mode. I find this really helps to quell stress, as stress (for me) seems to be based on being too judgmental.

I think Q-Storming (question brainstorming) is a great technique for being more creative.

Well worth the relatively short read.
on August 31, 2017
Book arrived fine in great condition. I just did not enjoy the way the book was delivered. I like the Q-storming piece the best.
on June 15, 2015
I was disappointed with this book. Yes, I do agree the questions that were posed are important to redirecting/improving your life. However, the author spent more than 3/4 of the book relating a "fable" that incorporated the questions. She could have written a pamphlet instead.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2016
After reviewing my notes and looking at the highlighted sentences, this book is a gem. The basic advice and framework is there are two types of people when it comes down to asking questions. You have to read the book to find out. I loved the simplicity of the concept and the distilled information summarized in each chapter. In short, a very good book to help you become a better leader, listener, and person.