Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on February 16, 2013
If you want to record for YouTube or just need to handle multiple channels with your friends, this is perfect. All you need in a program called "Virtual Audio Cable" and done!

For Win7: Install the software, and plug card in. Use "Audio Repeater (MME)" and select your internal sound device. For me this is the stereo mix from Realtek. Then for wave out, select the card "Speakers (C-Media Headphones)" and click start. This will allow you to hear games (whatever you are playing) through the speakers and headphones. Meanwhile, you have Skype/Vent going straight to the sound card by selecting it in setup/preferences.

Please note, applications that have the volume set high (iTunes does this) will sound very low quality. Just lower the volume on the application (for iTunes, just lower the bar top left) and the quality will restore.
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 16, 2014
It's very cheap, but it deserves 5 stars in my book. The internal sound card died in one of my HP laptops. So, I plugged it into the USB hub on my desk, and Windows 7 loaded generic PnP drivers (I only need sound occasionally to view training videos). I would not plug it directly into my laptop for fear that it may break off... the plastic housing is very thin. The buttons don't look like they would last very long either (Volume up/down, mute mic, mute speakers) but I haven't used those since I bought it... I control those things in Windows. It shipped in a China Post bubble-envelope. The shipping times were honest, so order this item with enough time in advance. I haven't tested the Mic input, but the output frequency for headphone/speaker is 48kHz or less... I don't notice any difference. Very cost-effective way to get sound out of my laptop again.
on September 24, 2013
This is the fifth usb sound card I have had to get for my laptop. Long story short I broke the original one on my laptop so I was unable to just plug it directly into the laptop to listen to music so i started getting ones like this. I tried another clear blue plastic one which I can't think of the name at the moment but every one of those I got never went more than a week without completely falling apart. They just weren't assembled right and came right apart. This thing is tough as nails. It can survive everyday life being tossed around in my bag and still works just as great as it did the day I bought it! The other ones I have tried also got strangely hot after more than a hour of usage, and I never had that problem with this one either. Thank god for this product!!!
on November 17, 2014
I bought this to output sound from my laptop as the internal audio has died (does not output sound, either through the onboard speakers or the headphone jack). This does the basic job of outputting sound, but the sound quality is horrible. Music is extremely brittle and tinny, almost painful to listen to, and turning on the bass booster or treble reducer doesn't really help much. I guess for this price, I can't really complain, but to give some context, before this I was using the headphone jack on a pair of USB speakers made in 2000 as a means of outputting audio via USB. (The speakers, or at least the power brick, unfortunately broke.) The sound through that jack was miles ahead of this. I would think that with all the technological advances over the last 14 years, even the cheapest sound card would be able to output sound of that quality. I guess I was mistaken. I might try the $8 best-selling Sabrent next I guess. I'm in the process of transitioning to a different laptop, so didn't want to pay a lot to get some basic sound.

EDIT: It appears the sound quality issue is mostly due to it having trouble driving headphones with higher impedances. The sound quality is better when I plug in my speakers, but is as described above when I plug my Audio-Technica M50s into it. That said, this is the only output device I've come across that's had that issue, and the M50s sound good even when driven through iPods, iPhones, and the like, so I'm surprised that it's having so much trouble driving the headphones. Sound quality isn't that bad when put into a pair of powered speakers though. Just be careful if you're planning on listening through a pair of decent headphones.
on December 30, 2014
This item functions like it should. But I took off two stars because the sound quality is terrible. If you are planning on using this for music, then get something else. I had to make major EQ adjustments in my media player to get this to sound good. But when you bring up the bass to compensate for lack of, it will distort. I tried every scenario I could come up with. And this thing has very low headroom compared to a built in sound card. Its only good for maybe referencing the voice when doing demos or something. But even then, the quality will be missing.
on November 1, 2013
These USB sound cards work great. Compatible with Windows XP/7/8 and OSX or Linux with no driver install to mess with. Just plug it in, and it works. Great for testing audio issues, or just as a spare soundcard, or even a replacement. LEDs blink when it's playing or recording, which is a little distracting. Can just put a piece of electrical tape over them if it bugs you. Still, it's kind of nice to have a visual indicator it's working. For permanent use, I'd cover the LEDs, but as I say it's handy for testing.

Cross platform compatibility is the biggest selling point to me. Never know when a soundcard that works on just about any operating system will be useful. Certainly a welcome addition to the tool or travel bag.
on July 8, 2014
It works fine but the sound quality is not that great. It's really cheap so it's fine. I'm not an audiophile at all but I could tell a very clear difference between the audio coming out of this thing and my laptop's junky audio controller. I found something that clearly sounded much worse than my laptop. It's just really flat, trebly sound. There is no range or bass at all. It will get the job done if you need audio but I can't enjoy listening to music on it.
on October 14, 2014
I bought this in order to hook up my Playstation 3 with the ability to game and chat through my Turtlebeach X12 headset. It worked in that capacity quite well. I found instructions on Youtube on how to set it up.

Another surprise was that I could use this on my PC (I had a busted microphone jack and was able to use this in its place, so now I am able to use my Hauppauge to record Let's Plays again.

It has a really good sound and I didn't have any problems with quality. Standard USB hookup.
on March 12, 2014
The headphone jack on my MacBook Pro no longer works. The small USB digital audio card allows me to connect my speakers for less than $3. Fas cheaper than purchasing USB connect speakers or trying to fix my MBP.
I opened the package, plugged it into my MBP, plugged in the speakers and I was in business after selecting it in system preferences and sound.
I've read several observations by other reviewers and all I can say is that it seems sturdy, performs well and is cheap. I would purchase this item again and would recommend it to others.
on December 4, 2013
I was DJ'ing a party and needed a second sound card for my laptop (ThinkPad T410 which happened to be running Linux). I ordered this little device several weeks before the party hoping it would do the trick. It arrived the day before, but that was all the time I needed to plug it in and watch it work - there were no issues with my configuration. The sound was as good, if not better, than the onboard sound card, and I used it for my primary output.

Now that the party is over I don't use it often, but it's good to have around for those rare times when I need another sound card.