- Hardcover: 560 pages
- Publisher: TASCHEN (September 15, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 3836538431
- ISBN-13: 978-3836538435
- Product Dimensions: 16 x 4 x 20 inches
- Shipping Weight: 14.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 19 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,056,351 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Charlie Chaplin Archives XXL
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"...a stunning volume complete with 900 illuminating images, primary and supplemental interviews, and an oral history by the comic actor himself." "...this handsome book conveys a true sense of a driven man and the way he shaped a nascent industry of the modern age." "The book of the year is The Charlie Chaplin Archives by Paul Duncan. As is befitting its subject, this huge volume examines the career of the one filmmaker many consider the greatest ever. Drawn from the Chaplin archives and featuring much new material, this remarkable book reveals the process behind Chaplin's cinematic genius through its 900 images which include stills, memos, storyboards and on-set photos, as well as images for unmade films, press clippings which span the length of Chaplin's long career, and interviews with the Little Tramp's closest collaborators. Alltogether, it's an impressive coffee-table type book which could almost double as coffee table." "A Day's Pleasure... What really raises the bar in this publication is the oral-history section, which has been pulled together from extensive notes and essays written by Chaplin himself. The reader is so close to the silent star as to practically feel the bristles of his signature moustache." "The most un-put-downable movie book of the season is also the most un-pick-uppable one... It's an apt tribute to the filmmaker, whose artistry transcends the cinema and spans world-historical dimensions... a revelation of Chaplin's creative process, even to the furious core of energy, passion, lust, and sheer will that fueled it..." "...560 gorgeous pages crammed with quotes, archive imagery, classic film stills and snippets of Chaplinalia...All in all this a stunning book, and could easily be the centrepiece of any Chaplin fan's collection of memorabilia..."
About the Author
Paul Duncan is a film historian who has edited 50 film books for TASCHEN, including The James Bond Archives, The Charlie Chaplin Archives and The Godfather Family Album.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1. The book binding from front to back is beautifully done (picture doesn't do it justice).
2. The pages look and feel like matte photo paper.
3. There are some different photos and letters that are new to me. I do own Steidel's "A Photo Diary", Vance's "Chaplin Genius of the Cinema" and "Charlie Chaplin The Keystone Album" (The Keystone Album shows movie slides of each Keystone Film Charlie was in, which I would recommend for any Chaplin Fan). It may be the same pictures as in many other books but the clarity and gallery photo paper used is exquisite you could frame it as artwork. Obviously with the cost value of $200 you get want you pay for which is quality.
4. Each book is numbered and has a clipping film from "City Lights".
5.Great book to have on your ottoman or coffee table for guest to read.
1. It's heavy (don't be fooled by the size of the box when you receive in the mail use both hands when picking up the package. I dropped mine by mistake).
I would recommend this book for new and long time fans of Charlie Chaplin. Yes it may be the same material of his life and career but put together in a beautiful book. It would be nice to know new facts about him but he was a private person. Moreover his family and estate have control on how much they would want to release anyway but why would they? His private and professional life is what keeps the public intrigued. The searching is what keeps his legacy alive. Look how other stars of the silent film era have faded but we still know and recognize "The Little Tramp" character by his walk, bowler's hat and cane.
I read the "reviews" here most of which are very complimentary but a few of which feel it necessary to complain about photos being in other Chaplin books (who cares) and this and that. Just ignore that stuff - if you're a Chaplin fan, this book at this price is just too good to pass up so don't.
The quality of the book is amazing. I keep it on my coffee table as it has been a huge hit with guests that come over to visit. It is heavy though, so don't drop it on your foot!