Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 15, 2017
very practical advice and guidance to the Mason methodology
on September 5, 2014
This book explains homeschooling in a more relaxed and natural way (without unschooling) that I wish I had learned years ago. My children are beginning to enjoy their schooling, instead of just tying to get done and get it over with. I am so thankful to have found this book.
Another very good Charlotte Mason style resource is called Real Learning in the Heart of the Home, by Elizabeth Foss. Although the book is written from a Catholic perspective and I am not Catholic, it was another very helpful resource.
on July 29, 2017
Great book.
on June 20, 2007
I was not at all familiar with the Charlotte Mason Method and was curious about what it was. This book was recommended to me as a start. I really enjoyed reading this book. The author simply explained what the CM method was and how she taught her own kids. I did not feel like I was being lectured on someone's opinion but it provided very valuable lessons. In a humble manner she gives subtle advice and encouragement concerning homeschooling and raising kids. I highly recommend this book to anybody who wants to homeschool but dreads the whole text book/ work sheet. My only "complaint' would be that though her advice was Biblically sound she used very little supporting Bible scripture. But that is a minor thing. I prefer this to the other homeschool books I've read that twist scripture to back up their absurd convictions that all must follow or else.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on July 26, 2013
I believe that reading Miss Mason's writing is the best way to understand her theories and methods. However, Mrs. Andreola has created a fantastic resource for putting those methods into use in our homes today. This book is well written and full of smart and useful tips for implementing Miss Mason's methods with children of different ages and abilities. I am much more confident teaching my son now than before I read this book.
on November 18, 2013
Ladies, this is one of my favorite homeschooling books, with A Well Trained Mind being my absolute favorite. Very clear, complete information is included in this companion. I have had it for a short time, however, it has been used as a reference so much it looks old and loved! It has proven essential to my curriculum. Some of the chapters seemed unnecessary but I read every word despite it!
on August 2, 2013
I greatly admire the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling, but this book is a wonderful resource, even if you don't homeschool. Karen Andreola's writing style is wonderful - she communicates Charlotte Mason's methodology in a very easy-to-understand, and, more importantly, an easy-to-apply manner. In addition to teaching homeschooling parents the theory of and application of this homeschooling method, Karen Andreola also has delightful recipes and fun, educational ideas throughout the book. Even her sections on character building and habit development are very useful sections to read from a parenting perspective. In addition, she has literature suggestions for children that I have used which have always been a hit. I would not have found many of these selections had it not been for her book.

This book is worth every penny you spend on it, whether you buy it used or new. The wealth of information and ideas found within it are endless, in my opinion, and you will most likely find yourself referring back to it many times throughout your parenting or homeschooling years. I have been homeschooling for 12 years and expect to homeschool about 14 more years. This book will be with me throughout my journey.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on October 10, 2015
I really like learning about Charlotte Mason and her method and try to incorporate her ideas in my homeschool at times. Long book, though.
on January 12, 2007
After I finished reading this book, I gave a long sigh of relief! This is how homeschooling should be! My oldest daughter was not very excited about reading, so I backed off and used the narration method as described in the book. The results:all my children narrate everything they read or everything I read to them.I have done this for two years now and it's been very successful. Charlotte Mason's methods are so fantastic and simple because it's tuned in to the nature of a child. This book very clearly shows how to implement her methods and brings back the enchantment and excitement of learning!!!
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on October 25, 2016
Great guide on the Charlotte mason method. Love love love... Recommend to any parent who wants to use this method with their children.